2021-2022 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

oof also caught that WL. Does anyone know any stats on how many people are accepted from it? Or how many people are on it?
No idea, based on my beer math that 1 SDN poster = 10 normal people, probably like 100-150. Based off last year's thread, 2 people reported getting in off the WL, meaning around 20 people by the same math. So chances aren't great, but some people probably don't stay on the WL so I think at this point we just have to be hopeful. Also, lets all tell 10 people this school is trash and hopefully it will spread by word of mouth and accepted people will choose other schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
No idea, based on my beer math that 1 SDN poster = 10 normal people, probably like 100-150. Based off last year's thread, 2 people reported getting in off the WL, meaning around 20 people by the same math. So chances aren't great, but some people probably don't stay on the WL so I think at this point we just have to be hopeful. Also, lets all tell 10 people this school is trash and hopefully it will spread by word of mouth and accepted people will choose other schools.
washu interviews ~1100 people and post-II rejections are relatively uncommon for them, so it's probably at least 500 people. My guess would be around 100 post-II rejections, 250 initial acceptances and 750 waitlists

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, has anyone been selected for the Distinguished Scholars Scholarship yet? Or do they give those out closer to the end of the cycle?

Just wondering, has anyone been selected for the Distinguished Scholars Scholarship yet? Or do they give those out closer to the end of the cycle?
What is that? Also how did you learn about different scholarship options. I'm trying to gauge my likelihood of getting a scholarship to see if I should get hyped about coming here or not lol

What is that? Also how did you learn about different scholarship options. I'm trying to gauge my likelihood of getting a scholarship to see if I should get hyped about coming here or not lol
The DSS scholarship is the name for the full tuition scholarship. And I think they are extended with the acceptance offer but idk if they're still giving out more. The other type of scholarship is half tuition. They started extending the final financial packages, so check to see if there are any remaining requirements you need to fulfill to get a preliminary package processed.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what to do with the "comments" option on the waitlist tab?

I believe that's the field where we beg and offer up our firstborn child

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
The DSS scholarship is the name for the full tuition scholarship. And I think they are extended with the acceptance offer but idk if they're still giving out more. The other type of scholarship is half tuition. They started extending the final financial packages, so check to see if there are any remaining requirements you need to fulfill to get a preliminary package processed.
So I got the scholarship call a week after my acceptance call. I know they continue to send out scholarship notifications for a while. Even people pulled off the waitlist are eligible to receive one (and I know 2 people who did last year).

Has anyone on the waitlist heard any news yet?
I actually got a FaceTime from Dr. Ratts this morning. She told me I had been accepted to WashU and congratulations. I was over the moon. Then she said I needed to pay my deposit to hold my seat. I said of course, how much is it. She said, "I need about tree fiddy".

Well, it was about that time that I realized that Dr. Ratts was about 500 feet tall and from the paleolithic era.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I actually got a FaceTime from Dr. Ratts this morning. She told me I had been accepted to WashU and congratulations. I was over the moon. Then she said I needed to pay my deposit to hold my seat. I said of course, how much is it. She said, "I need about tree fiddy".

Well, it was about that time that I realized that Dr. Ratts was about 500 feet tall and from the paleolithic era.
I would propose to you right here and now if I weren’t already married.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

1649794062655.png

slightly more than tree fiddy, but terrifyingly close.

Are you an international student being asked to pay all cash? That is….terrifying
That's the way it is. They don't have access to federal money, and the school cannot fill the seat once school starts if anything happens to them or their funding over the next four years. It's a pretty big risk for the schools, much bigger than for domestic students and green card holders, and that is how they mitigate it. It's pretty universal, outside of the very few schools that make institutional funds available to foreign students.

Does anyone know what to do with the "comments" option on the waitlist tab?
I reiterated my letter of interest, told them my other schools are in less desirable midwest locations so they knew I wasn't teasing them with coastal schools, and informed them I will be withdrawing on May 6th if not yet accepted as that is my earliest cte date.

On that note, anyone know if WL movement happens earlier than that?

I reiterated my letter of interest, told them my other schools are in less desirable midwest locations so they knew I wasn't teasing them with coastal schools, and informed them I will be withdrawing on May 6th if not yet accepted as that is my earliest cte date.

On that note, anyone know if WL movement happens earlier than that?
i don't know but wasn't April 15th the deadline to narrow down to 3 schools? hopefully that'll mean some movement this week fingers crossed

I think there are def people abiding by that recommendation, as some are dropping from the accepted student facebook/group chat. I'm not sure if it's significant enough to warrant waitlist movement this soon but people are definitely heeding the CYMS recommendations and I have a feeling plenty of people on this thread will have happy news come May 3rd!!! Fingers crossed for all the homies on the WL

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I think there are def people abiding by that recommendation, as some are dropping from the accepted student facebook/group chat. I'm not sure if it's significant enough to warrant waitlist movement this soon but people are definitely heeding the CYMS recommendations and I have a feeling plenty of people on this thread will have happy news come May 3rd!!! Fingers crossed for all the homies on the WL
Not here, but I have already received two WL acceptances. I think WLs are moving even now.

• Love
Can anyone hearing about scholarships post-April 15th and through traffic day (May 2nd) mind letting us know?

I know that myself and a few others with scholarships are withdrawing so hopefully they go to y’all!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the scholarship call 🙏🙌🥲 I also submitted a letter of intent before my acceptance!! So the assumption that letters of intent exclude you from being considered for merit scholarships is a myth 🤩…. at least at WashU

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Just got the scholarship call 🙏🙌🥲 I also submitted a letter of intent before my acceptance!! So the assumption that letters of intent exclude you from being considered for merit scholarships is a myth 🤩…. at least at WashU
congrats!! when did you get accepted?

Not me getting a heart attack from admissions e-mail with the subject line being "Your Waitlist Status".

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Not me getting a heart attack from admissions e-mail with the subject line being "Your Waitlist Status".
They've been getting me non-stop for 6 months. I'm sure I'll get a WashU Wednesday invite in 2035 and get my hopes up that they finally admitted me

• Haha
Totally agree - although I'd add that (based on what I heard) it isn't purely based of racial demographics (maybe you already meant that anVuLXNpqw and was using the example you gave as an example of one set of demographics they could use). Like anVuLXNpqw said, they are trying to fill in the spot for whoever left with someone who is "similar," but that could mean similar in terms of race/ethnicity/academic interest/socioeconomic status etc...
Yes, sure. But I think everyone is missing a bigger picture here.

WL movement, especially in the beginning, is not a one-for-one replacement of people withdrawing. The first wave includes many people, possibly dozens.

Almost all schools, including WashU, over accept by a lot, based on expected yield. They have no idea exactly who is going to stay and who is going to withdraw when they issue initial As. With the WL, they are now trying to curate a final class, but it's not exact down to the last person, and it sure as hell is a not a one-for-one replacement of who withdrew. Not when maybe 100 withdrew and maybe 30 are going to be receiving a call.

JMHO, but this is my understanding of what I have been told by adcoms.

Yes, sure. But I think everyone is missing a bigger picture here.

WL movement, especially in the beginning, is not a one-for-one replacement of people withdrawing. The first wave includes many people, possibly dozens.

Almost all schools, including WashU, over accept by a lot, based on expected yield. They have no idea exactly who is going to stay and who is going to withdraw when they issue initial As. With the WL, they are now trying to curate a final class, but it's not exact down to the last person, and it sure as hell is a not a one-for-one replacement of who withdrew. Not when maybe 100 withdrew and maybe 30 are going to be receiving a call.

JMHO, but this is my understanding of what I have been told by adcoms.

WashU seems to overaccept quite a lot compared to other schools too. They seem to have more waitlist movement as well.

The waitlist status email mentioned sending a letter of intent. If we've sent one already back in like Feb or so, is it worth sending another one?

Why you reject me off the waitlist so early? Did you have that many people PTE?

Edit: False alarm I am blind. It was UCI. Why did I read WashU?

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
When do we expect WL movement? Gotta be sometime this week right?

Pretty sure DSS is variable. I got it and it was far from full.

I’m guessing that we will see a wave of WL offers either at the end of this week or early next week. Then we will probably see waves every 1-2 weeks after that. It all depends on when the committee meets. WashU gets lots of movement historically, but remember it wasn’t until yesterday evening that students with multiple acceptances were asked to withdraw from multiple acceptances. Schools began withdrawing offers today, so adcoms will probably be meeting sometime this week.

I’m guessing that we will see a wave of WL offers either at the end of this week or early next week. Then we will probably see waves every 1-2 weeks after that. It all depends on when the committee meets. WashU gets lots of movement historically, but remember it wasn’t until yesterday evening that students with multiple acceptances were asked to withdraw from multiple acceptances. Schools began withdrawing offers today, so adcoms will probably be meeting sometime this week.
Hopefully sooner rather than later. We've been distraught here in the GroupMe about people leaving. :lol:

• Haha