2015-2016 Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, whether you get the first acceptance or the last one from the waitlist, an acceptance is an acceptance. It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

Anyone receive a portal update in the last couple weeks? (waitlist or rejection). I'm pretty sure I recall someone saying they would be up by today.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone receive a portal update in the last couple weeks? (waitlist or rejection). I'm pretty sure I recall someone saying they would be up by today.

I talked to the admissions office last week and they said all decisions would be up by March 1st

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Check your portals people!

I'm happy to not be rejected, but the message (quoted below) doesn't sound particularly hopeful. I'm wondering if some of you have a different message that sounds more like a high hold.

"Dear Almighty Saguaro
We have completed the final selection of students for the class entering July 2016. We are offering you a place on our alternate list in anticipation of persons currently on our class roster withdrawing between now and the date of matriculation. The number of such changes is quite unpredictable so that we have no way of determining your chances of acceptance.

If you are holding a place in another medical school, do nothing which would jeopardize that position. If you would like to remain on our alternate list, we will consider your application up to the date of your scheduled matriculation at another school. If the place you are holding is the one of your choice, we request that you withdraw your application here by notifying us in writing. If you do not have a place at another medical school you prefer and are waiting to hear, we will give extended consideration to your application for a period, but ask that you contact us to discuss when we could release you alternate listing to another student.

If you have not been accepted by a medical school by June 30, and wish to apply to enter in 2017, we suggest you reapply through AMCAS and as early in the summer as possible.

If you would like to be placed on our alternate list or do not want to accept a place on our alternate list, please notify us via e-mail [email protected] within one week of receipt of this letter. We appreciate your continued interest in our school and your patience through the very difficult application process."

Reactions: 1 users
Check your portals people!

I'm happy to not be rejected, but the message (quoted below) doesn't sound particularly hopeful. I'm wondering if some of you have a different message that sounds more like a high hold.

"Dear Almighty Saguaro
We have completed the final selection of students for the class entering July 2016. We are offering you a place on our alternate list in anticipation of persons currently on our class roster withdrawing between now and the date of matriculation. The number of such changes is quite unpredictable so that we have no way of determining your chances of acceptance.

If you are holding a place in another medical school, do nothing which would jeopardize that position. If you would like to remain on our alternate list, we will consider your application up to the date of your scheduled matriculation at another school. If the place you are holding is the one of your choice, we request that you withdraw your application here by notifying us in writing. If you do not have a place at another medical school you prefer and are waiting to hear, we will give extended consideration to your application for a period, but ask that you contact us to discuss when we could release you alternate listing to another student.

If you have not been accepted by a medical school by June 30, and wish to apply to enter in 2017, we suggest you reapply through AMCAS and as early in the summer as possible.

If you would like to be placed on our alternate list or do not want to accept a place on our alternate list, please notify us via e-mail [email protected] within one week of receipt of this letter. We appreciate your continued interest in our school and your patience through the very difficult application process."
Still nothing...

empty portal as well. :|

Edit: Just checked the portal and received 'class has been filled'. Good bye free tuition :(

At this time, we have filled the 32 spots for our 2016 Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University (College Program) entering class. We regret to inform you that you will not be offered a place in the class.

We are greatly disappointed that we could not accept all outstanding candidates who demonstrated an interest in the College Program. The complexity of the problem which we faced this year is indicated by the fact that we received nearly 1800 applications for the Class of 2021. Once again this year, we were faced with the perplexing situation of many more applicants who are qualified than could possibly be accommodated within the constraints of accepting a class of only 32.

We sincerely appreciate your interest in Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University and hope you will be successful in pursuing your medical studies without interruption.

Best wishes in your future medical career,

Last edited:
Alternate list just now!!! I have no idea if there's a high priority list but it doesn't matter, I am just so incredibly honored to even make it this far! I was literally just looking at an article on the first uterus transplant done at the Cleveland Clinic and decided to check the portal again. Checked earlier at 6 thru 7 EST and nothing was there.

Still nothing...
Alternate list just now!!! I have no idea if there's a high priority list but it doesn't matter, I am just so incredibly honored to even make it this far! I was literally just looking at an article on the first uterus transplant done at the Cleveland Clinic and decided to check the portal again. Checked earlier at 6 thru 7 EST and nothing was there.
Congratulations!

Last edited:
+1 Incredibly proud to have made it this far!

+1 Incredibly proud to have made it this far!
You guys are the best... Great attitude!
After reading your posts, I am now more appreciative of how far we've made it. Sure, it's not an outright acceptance but there can't be too many of those in a class of strictly 32, so I'm proud to be in the company of you fine folk!

In related news... Seems like the first couple of people to post about making the alternate list last year had acceptance offers by April. Assuming they were also the first couple to get the status updates, I think that bodes well for us! Not to raise false hopes or anything

Reactions: 2 users
Also waitlisted last night! No email notification, but it was in the portal. Guess I have to wait til April to really find out where I'm going for sure...

Wait, just kidding, I just got the status update email lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also waitlisted and received the same message as @Almighty Saguaro. Do you guys think that invitations to Second Look Weekend are issued to those on the waitlist after the deadline passes? Admissions would only invite those who accepted a position on the waitlist to campus, right?

Last edited:
I was also waitlisted last night and received the same message as @Almighty Saguaro. Do you guys think that invitations to Second Look Weekend are issued to those on the waitlist after the deadline passes? Admissions would only invite those who accepted a position on the waitlist to campus, right?
That would be my guess. Based on previous posts by accepted students, it doesn't seem like there had been any concrete communication regarding second look. I would venture that second look invitations for accepted and highly ranked waitlisted applicants will likely come out around the same time, likely sometime after the upcoming week.
My relatively baseless $0.02.

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk

alternate list as well! Question though, didn't @adcom101 mention something about certain students being invited to second look? Has anyone gotten that, or have those people on the waitlist not gotten the invite to second look?

I congratulate those who interviewed here at CCLCM who are now on the WL. You've made it to select group. Know that approximately 250 out of 1850+ applications were invited for an interview. I think that over the next 7-10 days after those who accept or deny the opportunity for wait list will a "rank" list be made out of the WL group. I suspect the top 5-6 on the WL (I'm not sure of this number since only 2-3 on the WL usually attend Second Look) will eventually be invited for Second Look. Historically, 40-44 are accepted to fill a class of 32 so don't give up hope just yet. Best of luck to all and congrats on making the WL!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Rejected after a post-interview hold. Was planning to withdraw anyways — keep your hopes up, everyone!

I congratulate those who interviewed here at CCLCM who are now on the WL. You've made it to select group. Know that approximately 250 out of 1850+ applications were invited for an interview. I think that over the next 7-10 days after those who accept or deny the opportunity for wait list will a "rank" list be made out of the WL group. I suspect the top 5-6 on the WL (I'm not sure of this number since only 2-3 on the WL usually attend Second Look) will eventually be invited for Second Look. Historically, 40-44 are accepted to fill a class of 32 so don't give up hope just yet. Best of luck to all and congrats on making the WL!
What proportion of the interviewed candidates were offered a spot on the WL/ alternate list?

Also offered a spot on the alternate list last week (interviewed 1/29). Although CCLCM has an awesome program, I will be declining. Good luck to everyone still hoping to get in!

Has anyone who accepted a position on the alternate list received confirmation from Admissions? I sent my notification on Sunday and have yet to hear back.

Has anyone who accepted a position on the alternate list received confirmation from Admissions? I sent my notification on Sunday and have yet to hear back.
Yeah, it seems that when you send an email to the provided address, it gets forwarded to Karen Wright who then sends an email to confirm receipt... At least that was my experience.

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, it seems that when you send an email to the provided address, it gets forwarded to Karen Wright who then sends an email to confirm receipt... At least that was my experience.

Thanks for sharing! I guess I will check with Admissions tomorrow. Having the "communications loop" open makes me rather nervous...haha

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I guess I will check with Admissions tomorrow. I having the "communications loop" open makes me rather nervous...haha

Same here. Sent my acceptance of the waitlist position on Saturday.

Update: Confirmation received.

Last edited:
Will invitations to Second Look be issued this week? I was invited to attend a Second Look at another school that commences on April 8th—the day the Second Look at Lerner concludes—and am eager to finalize travel plans while flights are still reasonably priced.

Will invitations to Second Look be issued this week? I was invited to attend a Second Look at another school that commences on April 8th—the day the Second Look at Lerner concludes—and am eager to finalize travel plans while flights are still reasonably priced.
The day should end at 1 pm, according to Ms. Sade Jackson's mid-Feb 2nd look invite email. Hope this helps your plans and good luck!

AHHH! ALTERNATE LIST BUT JUST RECEIVED A SECOND LOOK INVITE!!!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for sharing! I guess I will check with Admissions tomorrow. Having the "communications loop" open makes me rather nervous...haha

@Physiology94 or anyone else who called them about this, can I ask what they said when you called? I haven't gotten any acknowledgement yet from when I accepted the alternate list offer early last week, and will probably call them too but just wondering before I do, in case their answer was just like "stop worrying, you're fine"! Trying to be patient/sane about this... but failing I guess. Also congrats @aspiringdoc22 that is amazing!!!!!

@Physiology94 or anyone else who called them about this, can I ask what they said when you called? I haven't gotten any acknowledgement yet from when I accepted the alternate list offer early last week, and will probably call them too but just wondering before I do, in case their answer was just like "stop worrying, you're fine"! Trying to be patient/sane about this... but failing I guess. Also congrats @aspiringdoc22 that is amazing!!!!!

I called late last week. The office manager noted that all applicants would receive confirmation before the weekend.

Thank you so much @beyoncepadthaii!! I actually placed a call to Ms. Wright in the last couple weeks to inquire about an update and she was tremendously kind and helpful. Obviously we don't want to flood their office with nervous phone calls (as I am often tempted to do), but if you're worried about closing the loop it would likely be a quick and easy call. That being said, I have sent several emails/update letters. Though I did not receive immediate confirmation for most of them, they were all indeed received.

I imagine I shouldn't (and likely won't), but do you think admissions would disclose where an applicant is on the waitlist ranking? Even if they didn't, do you think it would negatively impact the applicant to ask? Would they consider it inappropriate or pushy?

Any thoughts on the odds of eventual acceptance if you're on the alternate list but have been invited to Second Look?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Any thoughts on the odds of eventual acceptance if you're on the alternate list but have been invited to Second Look?

@adcom101 posted the above quote back in February. It seems reasonable to infer that those invited to second look are ranked in the 33-40 range (though I admittedly have no additional evidence or inside knowledge to support that). Congratulations on making it this far!

@adcom101 posted the above quote back in February. It seems reasonable to infer that those invited to second look are ranked in the 33-40 range (though I admittedly have no additional evidence or inside knowledge to support that). Congratulations on making it this far!

How far they will accept down the waitlist will depend on the movement of the first 32 accepted students, obviously. Last year, if memory serves me correct, 7 of the first 16 accepted matriculated elsewhere. Being on the WL and being invited for a SL visit carries a favorable prognosis. I just don't have any specifics other than my prior post.

I imagine I shouldn't (and likely won't), but do you think admissions would disclose where an applicant is on the waitlist ranking? Even if they didn't, do you think it would negatively impact the applicant to ask? Would they consider it inappropriate or pushy?
The CCLCM website states that the alternate list is unranked in the FAQs. Perhaps they evaluate each opening individually, and try to find an alternate who is similar to the person who has decided to matriculate elsewhere?

Received an invite to second look although I did not want to be added to the alternate list. Not sure if they missed my e-mail or this was a mistake, but hope someone else gets my invite!

For anyone interested, our match list is out!

https://portal.cclcm.ccf.org/cclcm/CCLCMDependencies/popup/match_2016.html

A note on interpreting match lists if you're an applicant or accepted student: The most important element of a school's match performance is the number of its students who matched to their top choice (and 2nd, 3rd, etc). While our match list looks fantastic even without this data, I can tell you, anecdotally, that an enormous number of my classmates matched to their top choice. I don't know the official percentages, but we had a great match once again!

Reactions: 2 users
^I think you have a solid chance! :)

Hey all, so I went to second look and there were a couple questions I wanted to ask but didn't because of not being anonymous haha. I know this question makes me look like a gunner (I promise I'm not) but what are the average step 1 scores?

^I think you have a solid chance! :)

Hey all, so I went to second look and there were a couple questions I wanted to ask but didn't because of not being anonymous haha. I know this question makes me look like a gunner (I promise I'm not) but what are the average step 1 scores?

At second look, one of the instructors mentioned that CCLCM students' step scores were a standard deviation above the national mean. Since the 2015 mean was 230 and the SD was approximately 20, I would estimate that CCLCM students average around 250. That seems pretty high, but I wouldn't doubt that CCLCM students perform very well on the exam!

At second look, one of the instructors mentioned that CCLCM students' step scores were a standard deviation above the national mean. Since the 2015 mean was 230 and the SD was approximately 20, I would estimate that CCLCM students average around 250. That seems pretty high, but I wouldn't doubt that CCLCM students perform very well on the exam!

Wow, that's insane if that's true! That would be the highest STEP 1 score in the country probably!

A second random question: does anyone know if, when we graduate, the diploma says "cleveland clinic lerner college of medicine" or if it says "Case Western"? Since it is accredited through case western. Super random but something that my mom actually was wondering.