2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is highly possible that your application hasn't been read yet. I am in the masters program here and I submitted my secondary really early (beginning of July and I was told that my app hasn't been reviewed yet)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been posted, but has anyone had their interview with Duke yet and will to provide feedback regarding the MMI format :nailbiting:

Just be yourself...is the easy cop out answer, but really...BE YOURSELF. If you have been selected for an interview this early in the cycle you must be a pretty amazing candidate so you shouldn't worry too much. Just know that they picked you, out of thousands of applicants, because they want you...you just have to show them that you are the person you say you are on paper. I can't say too much about the MMI in case I say something I'm not supposed to say (and it isnt too hard to figure out who I am if you know me) so all I will say is that the medical students I have gotten to know are really down to earth (even the super initially awkward looking students). They are def. not stuck up jerk, know it alls that some people might perceive someone at an elite institution to be. I've also noticed that a lot of students in the program have a compelling life story, or reason as to why they are pursuing medicine. Duke loves team based stuff, so expect to demonstrate how well you work with others through action not just words.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take one next semester, online or on campus (bet preferably on a 4-year college campus).
I've already graduated; hence the concern. I'll try my local college in the summer if needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Take one next semester, online or on campus (bet preferably on a 4-year college campus).

I am hoping to take an online course as well before matriculation. how do we update the school saying that we will be taking the course?

I am hoping to take an online course as well before matriculation. how do we update the school saying that we will be taking the course?
You can probably send them an email. It depends on the school though. Some school's don't accept email updates unless you've received an interview invite. I'd call admissions and ask.

You can probably send them an email. It depends on the school though. Some school's don't accept email updates unless you've received an interview invite. I'd call admissions and ask.
great thanks! any idea what Duke's policy is? I thought I read somewhere they don't accept pre interview updates. I'm concerned they might base interview invites on whether you have completed the required courses

great thanks! any idea what Duke's policy is? I thought I read somewhere they don't accept pre interview updates. I'm concerned they might base interview invites on whether you have completed the required courses
Duke only accepts updates if invited to interview. Classes are a matriculation requirement, and as such, have no influence on interview invitations.

If you get an interview and they ask, just tell them you have plans to take the class. It shouldn't affect your II chances though.

I have an II and I haven't taken a sociology course yet.

Where are you seeing Sociology as a required course?

Where are you seeing Sociology as a required course?

really? :bang:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=duke school of medicine admission requirements

Biochemistry:
May be fulfilled by a single course in Biochemistry, or through coursework which incorporates principles of Biochemistry as part of an interdisciplinary course in Cell and/or Molecular Biology and/or Genetics.

Cellular Biology: May be fulfilled by a single course in Cell and/or Molecular Biology and/or Genetics.

Statistics/Biostatistics: An understanding of the application of statistical methods in the analysis of data.

Physics: An understanding of the correlation of basic physics to human physiology and anatomy (e.g. physics and/or biophysics).

Sociology: An introduction to the principles of social organization, with particular emphasis on the social determinants of healthcare.

Psychology: An introduction to the basic principles of psychology with emphasis on the biological basis of behavior.

Expository Writing: Experience in expository writing across the humanities, including but not limited to formal courses in English, is a fundamental expectation in the preparation for medicine. This may be accomplished through coursework in a number of disciplines, including but not limited to Philosophy, History, Public Policy, Political Science, Religion, etc. and may be accomplished through an Honors Thesis or completion of a major research paper.

https://medschool.duke.edu/educatio...ions/admissions-process/academic-expectations

Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT: Finally turned this monster of a secondary in. Really hoping for some love from Duke.

And congrats to all those who already received IIs!

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been posted, but has anyone had their interview with Duke yet and will to provide feedback regarding the MMI format :nailbiting:

Hey I interviewed here last year, and I didn't get in, but I don't think my interview day was what held me back. In my opinion, the MMIs are fun! You just have to get comfortable gathering your thoughts before presenting them to their interviewer. I didn't see anything that seemed unreasonable to ask a pre-med about. There's good diversity of scenarios, so you will probably find some interviews where you really shine. Enjoy your interview day, I promise you'll have fun being there!

Just caught this little tidbit while rereading the II.

"you will be evaluated not only during the scenarios themselves but throughout the day as you interact with your fellow interviewees as well as members of the Duke community."

The pressure is on!

Does Duke have a student hosting program?

Does Duke have a student hosting program?
Yes. I'm not sure about the details though-- you might have to contact admissions to be given a host list. I can try to figure out the protocol and report back...

Last edited:
II this morning! Complete late July. Woohooo!!!! I am so freaking excited. To Durham!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone think a November 30th interview date is pretty late considering Interviews are finished Feb 18th? As a technically non-rolling school, do you still think earlier interview dates improve acceptance chances?

Anyone think a November 30th interview date is pretty late considering Interviews are finished Feb 18th? As a technically non-rolling school, do you still think earlier interview dates improve acceptance chances?
I know how you feel--I have a Dec 3 interview. It was the first available when I scheduled and it turns out earlier slots opened up, but alas. I'm hoping it'll still turn out OK.

Looking forward to breakfast with few of you tomorrow!

Yes. I'm not sure about the details though-- you might have to contact admissions to be given a host list. I can try to figure out the protocol and report back...
Yes let us know!

These latest IIs are giving me hope. Congratulations, everyone!

II . Wow.. was waiting for the silent axe and am now totally in shock.
Complete late July, OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Submitted my secondary 7/9, not sure when completed? I guess you mean when AMCAS had everything in? According to AMCAS, complete 6/23.

Hey guys I accidentally said that I am a reapplicant to Duke on my AMCAS. I am not. Can this error be corrected or will they realize I haven't applied before.

Submitted my secondary 7/9, not sure when completed? I guess you mean when AMCAS had everything in? According to AMCAS, complete 6/23.
Nah, complete includes secondary, LORs, etc. It's basically "when did the school recieve EVERY single piece of information they want before reviewing you?"

II about an hour ago!!!!!

DUKE II AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Complete 7/6 or something, so definitely thought I was passed over
EDIT: The only available date is 12/17 lulz

Last edited:
Argh the things I would do to get into this school...

I have NO IDEA how I'm going to wait til MARCH to know of my fate!!!

(But seriously... why do we have to wait til March?)

DUKE II AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Complete 7/6 or something, so definitely thought I was passed over
EDIT: The only available date is 12/17 lulz
Oh wow..does this mean all the interview slots before December are filled up? :(

still in application screening :( complete late July butttt not super confident in my secondary responses, hopefully some love soon !!!

Wow. Was trying to figure out who to vote for in 2016 today and I feel so stupid for just now realizing that both Dr. Ron Paul and Dr. Rand Paul got their MDs at Duke! :bang:

Hey guys, my gf just had her interview here last week and was wanting to send an update letter. She couldn't find any instructions or limits of updates she could send. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hey guys, my gf just had her interview here last week and was wanting to send an update letter. She couldn't find any instructions or limits of updates she could send. Anyone have any recommendations?
They're not receptive to updates.

At my interview last week, the adcoms seemed very receptive to updates. I would just send an email to the admissions office.
Oh. At my interview they said that they score you within 2 weeks of your interview, and then they don't look at your app again til the interview season is complete, so updates would be pointless since your score would already be computed and they don't recalculate scores.

Just have her call the admissions office and ask, I guess.

Oh. At my interview they said that they score you within 2 weeks of your interview, and then they don't look at your app again til the interview season is complete, so updates would be pointless since your score would already be computed and they don't recalculate scores.

Just have her call the admissions office and ask, I guess.

Correct