2015-2016 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how much waitlist movement Sinai usually sees in a given year?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone receive a confirmation email after sending in tax forms?

Members don't see this ad :)
Might a letter of intent make a difference if we're on the alternate list and this is our top choice? Wishful thinking :(

Would a current MS-1 or 2 be willing to lay out what an average weekly schedule might look like at Sinai? For example, Mondays: 8am-noon lecture, 2pm-4pm small group etc.

Any advice for the next round of applicants? Sinai and Vanderbilt are pretty much tied for my #1 total dream school choice.

I have good reason to believe that there was either a meeting about that today, or there will be soon.

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk
I hope so.. still waiting on an aid package of any kind

I hope so.. still waiting on an aid package of any kind
What?! Really? I got an aid package within a day or two of submitting my (incomplete) financial aid application...

Did you give them a call?

What?! Really? I got an aid package within a day or two of submitting my (incomplete) financial aid application...

Did you give them a call?

Yeah I emailed them and they said they have all my stuff. (and they've had it) For like 3 weeks

Would a current MS-1 or 2 be willing to lay out what an average weekly schedule might look like at Sinai? For example, Mondays: 8am-noon lecture, 2pm-4pm small group etc.

MS1 here! Soon to be MS-2 in ~4 weeks! Time flies by when you're having fun haha

Weekly schedules at Sinai varies tremendously each week and from course to course. The general outline for first years is that classes never start earlier than 10AM (on the rare occasion we may even start at 11AM) and they never end later than 4PM (Grad classes and electives do occur after 4PM for those in dual degree programs).

Each course has its share of lectures, small groups, labs, patient presentations, and miscellaneous lectures. Small groups, labs, patient presentations, and lectures by prominent faculty are mandatory and attendance is taken. Most other lectures for science-based courses are not mandatory. All lectures except patient presentation are recorded. At Sinai, you begin with the Structures course (two month course), which includes Anatomy, Embryology, and Histology. This is one of the most intensive courses you will take as a first year and you start off right away working very hard. Anatomy has lectures and lab. Embryology is solely lectures. Histology has lectures and lab. So for the structures course you can bet on a 10Am-4PM schedule with Noon-1PM for lunch every day. After structures you have a course called Molecules, Cellular and Genomic Foundations (MCG) which has lectures, small group, and patient presentations but NO lab, which is a much needed relief from all the lab for Anatomy that you have to go through. MCG is the second most intensive course you will take as a first year. Count on tons of lectures for MCG.

Second semester is when it gets much easier as the course work is not as rigorous in terms of volume and the class hours for lectures are much less. Still it's a lot of work but you can literally feel much more at ease. Second semester courses include Immunology, Pathology, Physiology, and Microbiology in that order. Each course is different but trust me you will be happy with your class schedule. There is no set time for small groups or labs as this is very dependent on the preceptor's schedule as most are attending physicians and can be busy at times but still make the time to teach and mentor us! But as a class, your lab, small group time slot, etc are all the same.

Every Wednesday is the Arts and Science in Medicine course (ASM) from 1-4PM. This is where you will learn how to take the full history of a patient during your first semester and subsequently the full physical exam your second semester. Attendance is mandatory every Wednesday from 1-4PM. The format is usually lectures from 1-2PM or 1-2:30PM then off to small groups for the remainder of the time. Your small group members are the same for two years so you get to know them very well and intimately as you practice doing various parts of the physical on each other during the second semester.

Sinai's P/F curriculum along with it's online exams over the weekend really decrease the stress I believe students at other med schools may feel. You can even leave campus for an extended period of time. For example, every Wednesday is mandatory (ASM) but maybe Thursday and Friday are all lectures that are optional and you have a quiz/exam that weekend. On Monday and Tuesday your schedule is just optional lectures. You could basically go back home (if you are not from nyc) on Wednesday and stay home for a week and still watch the lectures and take your exam/quiz. Many of my classmates have done this. Or better yet you can go on a mini vacation!

Hope this answered your question.

Reactions: 3 users
EDIT: My celebration may just have been premature.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much waitlist movement Sinai usually sees in a given year?

Seconded. Also really curious how waitlist movement works out at Sinai typically, if anyone has any info on this?

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew from here over the weekend! Fantastic school and hope the spot goes to one of you :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Soooooo it looks like based on past years that even if there is alternate list movement, that it won't happen for a few weeks? :lame:

Reactions: 1 users
I believe there has been movement! Several individuals just joined the admitted group.

Just got accepted off the alternate list!!!! Ahhhhhhh so excited. Got the email at 3pm :)

Congrats! Did you send any updates or a letter of intent?
I sent monthly update letters and recently had someone submit a new letter of recommendation, but I didn't send any letter of intent.

Last edited:
Hey im about to send an update letter and depending on how much information I include it will be clear that waitlists, specifically this one and only waitlist, are (is) my only option at this point, is it considered a bad idea to let a medical school know that they are essentially your only option. I feel it is, but i always value input

At this point all accepted and waitlisted schools can see if and where you are accepted. So they probably know

Just got accepted off the wait list!!! Email was sent around 4:00 pm EST. Could not be more thrilled!

Got off the waitlist earlier today! Absolutely thrilled! email came around 4pm as well.

Deferred matriculation until next fall (Will be entering in with the Class of 2021). I deferred a few weeks ago so the spot was probably already taken but feel free to PM me if anyone is thinking about deferring from Sinai for the year!

Hey everyone! I have an interview coming up here next Tuesday, January 16th. This is my top choice school and one of the few interviews I have received thus far (also my 2nd time applying so I really need to kill it this time around), so I am doing everything in my power to make sure I do as well as I can on this interview. So, if there is anyone that has interviewed/been accepted/is a current student at Mt. Sinai and would be willing to give me some advice and help me out (and since this forum is old I figured at least one or two people may see this!), please feel free to slide into my DMs. Any and all advice would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you again!