2018-2019 Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may be out of context but can those of you who got the interview give an idea of the type of questions they ask. I heard that one of the interviewees is nice and straightforward, but the other one is out to get you. Any help would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This may be out of context but can those of you who got the interview give an idea of the type of questions they ask. I heard that one of the interviewees is nice and straightforward, but the other one is out to get you. Any help would be much appreciated.

Both are out to get you. Beware. Proceed at your own risk.
Lmao neither of my interviewers seemed like they were out to get me. Out of the 6 traditional interviews I've done, I enjoyed my Sinai interview the most! They asked thought-provoking questions and did not ask me any "gotcha!" questions. That being said, I got waitlisted, so maybe I got got subtly. Good luck on your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao neither of my interviewers seemed like they were out to get me. Out of the 6 traditional interviews I've done, I enjoyed my Sinai interview the most! They asked thought-provoking questions and did not ask me any "gotcha!" questions. That being said, I got waitlisted, so maybe I got got subtly. Good luck on your interview!
I would agree with this as this was my experience. Everyone at Sinai was quite relaxed and my interviewers were both personable, very funny conversationalists. I appreciated how Sinai was a "straight shooter" in this regard. Some other schools seem to like to make the interview day as nerve wracking as possible.

Looking at last year’s thread, looks like some people got waitlist emails with different language... anyone get an email about a high waitlist or anything like that?

Regular alternate list here, verbage of “we are very impressed with your application and your accomplishments.”

Regular alternate list here, verbage of “we are very impressed with your application and your accomplishments.”

My waitlist said something along the lines of "we remain extremely interested...limited positions...can't offer you a position right away" but that seemed pretty standard amongst those I've spoken to about it. Interested to hear if there were differently worded letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Any accepted students get a merit scholarship? Website says they're awarded at time of admission, but I'm curious if this means in general or literally the day you get accepted you'll either get one or not.

My email did not contain any of the “we remain extremely interested...” portion. Did a lot of people receive the alt list email with that wording?

Same question, though I heard Icahn isn’t too generous with aid in general
I have also heard this. Everyone should go somewhere else that's cheaper so I get taken off the waitlist
;)

Reactions: 2 users
If you call the admission office, you'll find out that they don't offer merit aid. Their maximum need based aid is up to 30k (call the financial aid office.) The McKinsey and Deloitte programs that the school offers are no longer active, for students to apply from icahn to those firms. Be mindful in considering these factors.

Last edited:
If you call the admission office, you'll find out that they don't offer merit aid. Their maximum need based aid is up to 30k (call the financial aid office.) The McKinsey and Deloitte programs that the school offers are no longer active, for students to apply from icahn to those firms. Be mindful in considering these factors.
What do you mean no longer active ? I know the McKinsey program itself is offered by the company to MD students at any school, not just Sinai

Members don't see this ad :)
Whelp it was nice while it lasted, but looks like I won't be going here then. Weird that their website doesn't reflect the no merit aid thing but I trust the admissions people over a potentially out of date website. The 30k max need based is a bummer too. I'm sure there are lots of great disadvantaged applicants that Icahn will be missing out on due to the full rides they'll be getting at places like Columbia and Stanford

Are LOI’s a thing here? Would they help with waitlist movement, or not at all

Does anyone have any insider knowledge about the Primary Care Scholars Program? In particular, how competitive it is? Underserved primary care aligns exactly with my goals, so getting free money to pursue that seems too good to be true...

At this point, a top school like Sinai will assume that everyone is still interested - those who have "better" acceptances should certainly already have let Sinai know that they wish to come off the WL.

Some schools may ask WL students to send a letter of continued interest or remind the students to tell them when they decide not to stay on a WL- but that will be closer to May 1. By May 1, schools will have a better idea of how many students they need to accept off the WL and that is when the big WL movement will happen.

There are some Top schools, including many in same geographic region, with non-rolling admissions who will be sending out acceptances this week and next, and some of the accepted Sinai and WL Sinai students will be getting offers from these other top schools. I think that will impact Sinai's numbers. But to answer your question, you do not need to do anything now, and take your cues from any direct information that Sinai sends out to you as someone on their WL.

Reactions: 1 users

At this point, a top school like Sinai will assume that everyone is still interested - those who have "better" acceptances should certainly already have let Sinai know that they wish to come off the WL.

Some schools may ask WL students to send a letter of continued interest or remind the students to tell them when they decide not to stay on a WL- but that will be closer to May 1. By May 1, schools will have a better idea of how many students they need to accept off the WL and that is when the big WL movement will happen.

There are some Top schools, including many in same geographic region, with non-rolling admissions who will be sending out acceptances this week and next, and some of the accepted Sinai and WL Sinai students will be getting offers from these other top schools. I think that will impact Sinai's numbers. But to answer your question, you do not need to do anything now, and take your cues from any direct information that Sinai sends out to you as someone on their WL.

I agree that Sinai can assume most people on the waitlist are interested. That being said, Jessica did explicitly say on interview day that you need to send a letter of continued interest in order to be considered. Same thing for Case Western if you happen to be on the WL there!

I agree that Sinai can assume most people on the waitlist are interested. That being said, Jessica did explicitly say on interview day that you need to send a letter of continued interest in order to be considered. Same thing for Case Western if you happen to be on the WL there!

Hmm... So what do you think? Yay or nay?

Can confirm: they told us it would be important to stay in touch if put on the WL, such that if you don't communicate at all, they actually assume you're no longer interested

How frequently do we need to communicate? Do we need to send a letter of continued interest ASAP or is that something we should send come april or may?

Hmm... So what do you think? Yay or nay?

How frequently do we need to communicate? Do we need to send a letter of continued interest ASAP or is that something we should send come april or may?

I would send one soon to let them know you're still heavily considering them, and then sometime after major acceptance waves, you could reiterate your interest/intent if you are genuinely trying to go to Sinai considering they offer little to no financial aid.

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered before. Does Regular MD have a high-priority or first-tier waitlist?

Anyone know the best way to submit an LOI? Do we just upload it as a word doc on the portal?

I don't know why I am having such a hard time finding this.... but which hospitals do 3rd and 4th year students rotate at?

I don't know why I am having such a hard time finding this.... but which hospitals do 3rd and 4th year students rotate at?
MSH, elmhurst, mt Sinai west, st Luke’s, Beth Israel, Bronx VA

Also Brooklyn hospital and queens hospital

Outpatient and peds has a few more sites throughout the city I believe

Last edited:
Anyone know what % of the incoming class is FlexMed?

Anyone know what % of the incoming class is FlexMed?

FlexMed is for sophomores, right? If so, the class entering fall 2019 would've been accepted in 2017. MSAR says that 30 students came from the early assurance program (is this the same as FlexMed??) in 2017. So like 20 percent?

What’re everyone’s thoughts on the possibility of WL movement for this year?

What’re everyone’s thoughts on the possibility of WL movement for this year?
I am hoping with NYU and Columbia offering some great financial options and the fact that they are in the same city as Mt. Sinai, that they will pull from Mount Sinai's seats, or I'm just wishful thinking. Either way, fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 users
So I was waitlisted on 2/19 and just received a rejection email... my portal still says I’m on the waitlist, so I’m not sure what to think. Any other similar experiences?

So I was waitlisted on 2/19 and just received a rejection email... my portal still says I’m on the waitlist, so I’m not sure what to think. Any other similar experiences?

+1
Perhaps they are thinning the herd before the "waitlist is active throughout the summer."

I just declined to remain on the waitlist! Good luck everyone!

I just got another waitlist email asking me if I wanted to remain on the waitlist by pressing accept, even though I already accepted the waitlist back in January and my portal reflects this. Is there something else I need to do or am I set?

My email said thanks for your continued interest, we want to stay in touch and keep sending updates

I just got another waitlist email asking me if I wanted to remain on the waitlist by pressing accept, even though I already accepted the waitlist back in January and my portal reflects this. Is there something else I need to do or am I set?
Mine says this also but there is no where to press accept :eyebrow:

Just declined my waitlist offer, best of luck everyone!

Also received the keep in touch waitlist email today! I guess they want us to send updates