2018-2019 Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are we supposed to put in a deposit or any paperwork? I didn't see anything about that stuff...

Members don't see this ad.

Any waitlisted folk planning on submitting the CSS Profile for this school (and others)?

Any waitlisted folk planning on submitting the CSS Profile for this school (and others)?
What is the CSS profile? I submitted my FAFSA and yes, I did list them on it....this was also prior to being WL.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the CSS profile? I submitted my FAFSA and yes, I did list them on it....this was also prior to being WL.

CSS Profile submitted through College Board is used to determine eligibility for state and institutional aid, so usually need based scholarship kind of stuff (which I hear Mt. Sinai isn't too generous with). It costs $9 + $16/school, so if we can avoid submitting this for schools that might not even accept us, that would be a plus. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to submit it before we know our final status.

CSS Profile submitted through College Board is used to determine eligibility for state and institutional aid, so usually need based scholarship kind of stuff (which I hear Mt. Sinai isn't too generous with). It costs $9 + $16/school, so if we can avoid submitting this for schools that might not even accept us, that would be a plus. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to submit it before we know our final status.
Thank you! Good point. I believe every school will look at the FAFSA, which is free, so maybe start by submitting that. And then if they need the CSS or additional information later on, send it then?

Are we supposed to put in a deposit or any paperwork? I didn't see anything about that stuff...

I think all we had to do was go into the portal and select one of those options confirming that we received the acceptance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asking for a friend if anyone knows: how likely is it to get off the MSTP waitlist here? Seems like they waitlist basically everyone they don’t accept?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they are still offering interviews at this point

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone have any idea about letters if you're waitlisted here? Are they receptive to intent letters or update letters? And if so, is it advisable to send them soon or after April 30?

Congrats to everyone accepted! I am a current m2 and happy to answer any questions about preclinical life at Sinai.

And to those waitlisted: there is still hope - when I applied, I had interviewed in October, was waitlisted in december, and accepted in a “wave” the day after traffic day. I personally did not send in any post interview communication as I thought I laid it all out there in my application and interview day but I know others who did send updates on their lives. Sinai was my top choice from the getgo and waiting over 5 months to have a confirmed decision was brutal - so I feel your pain. It has been the trend according to the sdn threads that there are no outright rejections after interviewing until the late spring.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete very early July and nothing but I fully expect the R

R as well! Complete 7/18. Good luck everyone!

MSAR says 70% receive aid, although I'm not sure if this includes loans. Average graduate indebtedness is $145,653 which is great for a private school and comparable to Columbia. They offer merit and need-based scholarships but I have no clue how the dollar distribution between the two is. Lastly, I will add they have the best subsidized housing in NYC and a primary care loan repayment program (up to $80,000 if you work primary care for 2 years in and undeserved area after residency). I believe this is a very commendable program and more schools should apply their aid money in a similar fashion.

My overall opinion on financial aid at the Manhattan privates: NYU>Columbia=Sinai>Cornell

I don’t think that is true at all! Sinai gives the worst financial aid package than all the other NYC schools!

If you look at last years thread, posters complained of receiving lousy aid on which most of their financial package consisted of loans. Nobody said they received merit aid which makes sense since Icahn $250 million dollar donation has probably dried up by now. Cornell is much more generous than Sinai.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think that is true at all! Sinai gives the worst financial aid package than all the other NYC schools!

If you look at last years thread, posters complained of receiving lousy aid on which most of their financial package consisted of loans. Nobody said they received merit aid which makes sense since Icahn $250 million dollar donation has probably dried up by now. Cornell is much more generous than Sinai.
Icahn reports $20,000 less than Cornell in average indebtedness upon graduation, however, you're right, there is a 5 year disconnect between the indebtedness of last year's graduating class (reported on MSAR) and the current financial aid offers. I would hope that the assertion that their financial aid endowments are decreasing would be incorrect, but you could very well be right. Generally schools structure their scholarship funds to last "indefinitely" assuming proper market growth, and are simply giving away the interest. I would assume that Icahn did the same with their $250 million donation but I can't say for certain

Withdrew my A, hoping it goes to one of you :)
Congratulations on your multiple acceptances! And I applaud your making some decisions this far out - which will only help your fellow applicants this cycle. I think that none of us know exactly how the traffic rules will affect the process, especially for any individual student, but it can only help some applicants if those with multiple acceptances can release the ones they know they will not be taking asap. Obviously, some accepted students are dealing with two-body problems, as well as financial aid decisions, and may be waiting for second look days, so not everyone will be able to be as decisive as you are - but it is better for the other applicants if those with multiple acceptances give up some of the spots they are most certainly sure they do not want asap. (I do interview for my medical school, but am not ever in the hot seat when it comes to drawing off the WL and filling the class, etc...so my comment comes only from the POV of the applicant side of things.)

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations on your multiple acceptances! And I applaud your making some decisions this far out - which will only help your fellow applicants this cycle. I think that none of us know exactly how the traffic rules will affect the process, especially for any individual student, but it can only help some applicants if those with multiple acceptances can release the ones they know they will not be taking asap. Obviously, some accepted students are dealing with two-body problems, as well as financial aid decisions, and may be waiting for second look days, so not everyone will be able to be as decisive as you are - but it is better for the other applicants if those with multiple acceptances give up some of the spots they are most certainly sure they do not want asap. (I do interview for my medical school, but am not ever in the hot seat when it comes to drawing off the WL and filling the class, etc...so my comment comes only from the POV of the applicant side of things.)

Thanks :) I’m choosing between two schools and Sinai just fell out of favor after interview day. Good luck to everyone else!

Reactions: 1 user
II TODAY OMG. LM 70, been here for 2 years, just got my master's here, complete since mid July. So you're saying....THERE'S A CHANCE!

Reactions: 17 users
II TODAY OMG. LM 70, been here for 2 years, just got my master's here, complete since mid July. So you're saying....THERE'S A CHANCE!
It's for joyous surprise victories like these that I stick around SDN

Congratulations! Did they have multiple dates available?

Congratulations! Did they have multiple dates available?
A very few in February. I'm sure I just got my interview (a couple days from now) because someone withdrew.

Anyone else getting emails for sinai’s graduate biomedical science programs? Already interviewed and got a couple of these.... kinda freaking me out

Anyone else getting emails for sinai’s graduate biomedical science programs? Already interviewed and got a couple of these.... kinda freaking me out

Don't freak out! I got the same emails and I am already accepted for the MSTP. Just spam I assume.

Damn people dont seem to like this school that much. The Finaid thing is something ill keep in mind

I don’t believe so. I attended a session in the spring where they discussed FlexMed. FlexMed students are accepted at a higher rate than traditional MD. According to students at the school, they also tend to get more resources/support and perform better on Step 1. Not surprising considering they are quite unique to Sinai.
Does this make the school low yeild?

Does anyone who recently interviewed here know when the next round of decisions will come out?

Not just you supermonkeydude. One of my advisees interviewed there in early Jan and also got a WL pretty quickly. Very strong applicant in terms of stats, decent research, and very nice, hardworking, earnest person - a bit quiet, ORM and usual good EC's.

One way to interpret this for you to give you hope is that these highly-rated schools are all going to accept the same bunch of tippy-top students in the applicant pool. Think URIM and published in high impact journal, and 52x, and 3.9+ from top 20UG. (There are some applicants this year with all of the above). After May 1 (and somewhat after APRIL 15), these tippy top students will make their decisions, and there will be a good number of WL openings at very good schools, like Sinai. Many of these students interviewed at Sinai, and Sinai will certainly accept them, and Sinai will get some of these students to matriculate, but others will go to HYP, UCSF, Mayo, Columbia, Duke, etc, etc depending on their fin aid, research interests, geographic preferences, etc.

Last edited:
Why do you say people don't like it much?
That poster is on probation and isn’t even applying to medical schools this cycle. He’s probably basing it on how people in this thread were upset waiting on their acceptance/rejection promises lol

Reactions: 2 users
Why do you say people don't like it much?
I for one like it a ton.
That poster is on probation and isn’t even applying to medical schools this cycle. He’s probably basing it on how people in this thread were upset waiting on their acceptance/rejection promises lol
I loved Sinai I don’t know what he’s talking about

I for one like it a ton.

I loved Sinai I don’t know what he’s talking about
I’m a current ms-2 and have nothing but positive things to say about Sinai, which in my experience with colleagues at other schools is extraordinarily rare.

Reactions: 3 users
I must be an awful interviewer because I interviewed in the early January and was immediately waitlisted during the first wave. LMAO
I'm thinking it's probably a soft rejection since it was so fast. Wondering if this happened to any others from early January? Or, maybe it was just me...sad boi

I figured that since they send out decisions in waves, every person who interviewed before a certain date (for example, 5 Jan or whatever) received news at the same time. Maybe your interview group just made the cut off?

If bad news is coming, I'd rather know sooner than later tbh. Last year Jan/Feb people were strung along til March, only to get the WL :dead:

Hello, I applied here in early August and still have not heard back? Anyone else in same boat?

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah I think they are done.. It says they send interview invitations from August to February.