2015-2016 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks. If my friends drop me off, they can just drop me off at the main circular entrance right across the parking garage right? Walking distance to that conference room? I find a map for building but not the map for the college of medicine or hospital:(

Didn't they send you a map to get to your interview? We got one by email a few days before ours. I got dropped off at the circular driveway as well and the walk to MN 136 was only a few minutes.

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't they send you a map to get to your interview? We got one by email a few days before ours. I got dropped off at the circular driveway as well and the walk to MN 136 was only a few minutes.

All I got was an automated reminder from the scheduling website and my interview is on the 31st. If I didn't check the website, I would not have known they changed the location *yikes*. Well hopefully everyone figures it out.

All I got was an automated reminder from the scheduling website and my interview is on the 31st. If I didn't check the website, I would not have known they changed the location *yikes*. Well hopefully everyone figures it out.
Guess who didn't figure it out this morning and was 10 minutes late? This guy!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us that interviewed 10/27, we are supposed to hear back something tomorrow. The adcom is meeting today and they said we could call tomorrow to figure out what's going on.

Will report back with happiness/sadness tomorrow.

I hope they get to us 10/31 too. fingers crossed

Accepted. they called me today. I am crying . Thank you Jesus

Accepted. they called me today. I am crying . Thank you Jesus
CONGRATS @lolest !!!! It was already so much fun seeing acceptances when I started looking at this thread but it's even more fun when you're seeing your class grow!

Have a great day and celebrate!!

There are dozens of us...DOZENS!
arrested-development-quotesdavid-crosstobias-funke.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! OOS with KY ties, LizzyM 77. Interviewed 10/31 - super fast turnaround. Just hoping that my girlfriend gets in too, as she's on the hold list after interview. If not, I'll probably go to my state school and hand this acceptance off to you guys.
CONGRATS!!!

Accepted, interviewed 10/31! how long did it take to receive the official letter?

Hey has anybody gotten off of the "on-hold" status yet? Or do they look at us at a later date after they've interviewed and admitted more people? Is being placed on hold a guarantee wait list spot then? :(

They told me that they re-review the holds in December. Source: my girlfriend is on hold and I inquired about when we would now about her, effectively insinuating that I won't attend unless she is accepted.
What makes you think that they should accept her just because of you over all other qualified candidates who are also on hold and try really hard to get in...not just because of some BF GF uncle aunt mom daddy granddaddy or great granddaddy? Personally expressing your situation is fine but making it clear that you won't attend the school if your GF does not get in is degrading the school and unprofessional. Just my two cents. Don't mean to be rude.

They said the committee meets today. For those of you that received acceptance phone calls, what time did they call??

Does anyone know how much success is had by applicants that were placed on post-interview hold?

Does anyone know how much success is had by applicants that were placed on post-interview hold?
Searched through last year's thread and it wasn't all that informative but I saw 2 acceptances in January. One was a hold status that interviewed in September. The other interviewed in January.

They formed the waitlist around March 20th and there were 2-3 people that were accepted from the waitlist.

Does anyone know when they're going to review hold applications?

Does anyone know if it's possible to establish in-state status after one year of going to this school?

Does anyone know if it's possible to establish in-state status after one year of going to this school?
It's not. Although I have heard that if you were to marry a Kentucky resident while you're here you might be able to. Although I can't verify that.

It's not. Although I have heard that if you were to marry a Kentucky resident while you're here you might be able to. Although I can't verify that.
Pretty sure the financial aid lady mentioned this at my interview, followed by blatant scanning of the prospects by the interviewees.

Does anyone know when they're going to review hold applications?

Ms. Scott said on the phone that they would re-review us in December or January but I don't know if they've said more specifically than that. It'd be great to know!

Can I call today to ask

Can I call today to ask
In the past, the Adcom has met in the afternoon in eastern time, so they may not know the decision (or be in the office) until very late this afternoon. Kim Scott sometimes says on interview day not to call until Friday. Not sure if they meet the same time every week though. On the other hand, it's not going to hurt your application to call late this afternoon.

To answer @themoonman2, no unfortunately you cannot become in-state here at all unless you have ties here or you marry a KY resident. If you want to see all the things they consider in making the decision, here is the application: http://www.uky.edu/registrar/sites/www.uky.edu.registrar/files/Residency 082016.pdf.

@tf21594, I don't know about success with pre-interview holds, but I know loads of people who got in after a post-interview hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Could barely sleep last night :nailbiting::nailbiting:If anyone hears anything please post on here:xf:

To build off previous responses, it's very hard/impossible. When I interviewed, my tour guide said that UK's (or maybe even the state's) threshold for residency is that you've lived in, worked, and paid KY state taxes for at least 12 months. Attending the school for a year doesn't count towards that 12 month period. Additionally, UKCOM makes you sign an agreement that you won't take any employment opportunity while you're in school so that you can focus on school i.e. you can't work (not that you would want to, with medical school already taking up so much of your time).

There's another way that I know of, and it's if you're under a certain age and your parents become KY state residents as described in the previous paragraph. But the best way to know for sure, of course, is to call admissions and ask. Might as well get the right info directly than on SDN.

So in short, it's really difficult to get in-state residency.

To build off previous responses, it's very hard/impossible. When I interviewed, my tour guide said that UK's (or maybe even the state's) threshold for residency is that you've lived in, worked, and paid KY state taxes for at least 12 months. Attending the school for a year doesn't count towards that 12 month period. Additionally, UKCOM makes you sign an agreement that you won't take any employment opportunity while you're in school so that you can focus on school i.e. you can't work (not that you would want to, with medical school already taking up so much of your time).

There's another way that I know of, and it's if you're under a certain age and your parents become KY state residents as described in the previous paragraph. But the best way to know for sure, of course, is to call admissions and ask. Might as well get the right info directly than on SDN.

So in short, it's really difficult to get in-state residency.

Thanks for your response. That's a huge bummer for me! My aunt and uncle live in Lexington and my mom expects to retire there soon (very soon if I were to attend UK). The chance to have family nearby while attending med school is a huge draw for me, but I was recently accepted to a school that allows me to establish in-state residency after first year. The significant reduction in cost of attendance makes it that UK just wouldn't be worth it (~60k difference). I suppose it's worth calling admissions and asking about potential options. Sorry for venting here, and again, thank's for your response!

Interviewed 10/31 and wait listed by snail mail a little while ago. Last I heard/saw it seemed we may get reconsidered in December. Does anyone have any idea when that actually may be? Or should I just not get my hopes up and sit tight until the spring?

Thanks for your response. That's a huge bummer for me! My aunt and uncle live in Lexington and my mom expects to retire there soon (very soon if I were to attend UK). The chance to have family nearby while attending med school is a huge draw for me, but I was recently accepted to a school that allows me to establish in-state residency after first year. The significant reduction in cost of attendance makes it that UK just wouldn't be worth it (~60k difference). I suppose it's worth calling admissions and asking about potential options. Sorry for venting here, and again, thank's for your response!
If your mom does move to Lexington while you're in med school and she still claims you as a dependent for tax purposes, that would qualify you as a resident. You could talk to Julie McDaniel (the director of Financial Aid) if you have questions about it. She's not involved in the residency decisions but knows a lot about it. Unfortunately, the strict residency policy and the high OOS tuition are decisions made by the University and not the College of Medicine.

I understand your frustration. I'm out of state myself and made the decision to come here over other places because I liked it enough to justify the higher cost, but it hurts every time I look at my loan statement.

If your mom does move to Lexington while you're in med school and she still claims you as a dependent for tax purposes, that would qualify you as a resident. You could talk to Julie McDaniel (the director of Financial Aid) if you have questions about it. She's not involved in the residency decisions but knows a lot about it. Unfortunately, the strict residency policy and the high OOS tuition are decisions made by the University and not the College of Medicine.

I understand your frustration. I'm out of state myself and made the decision to come here over other places because I liked it enough to justify the higher cost, but it hurts every time I look at my loan statement.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely call Julie. How is UK's financial aid?

Interviewed 10/31 and wait listed by snail mail a little while ago. Last I heard/saw it seemed we may get reconsidered in December. Does anyone have any idea when that actually may be? Or should I just not get my hopes up and sit tight until the spring?
Are you IS or OOS?

Maybe I missed it, but what days does the admissions committee meet? I know it's on Thursdays, but is it like the 2nd and 4th of the month or every Thursday?

Maybe I missed it, but what days does the admissions committee meet? I know it's on Thursdays, but is it like the 2nd and 4th of the month or every Thursday?

I believe it is every other week on Thursday's.

Has anyone who interviewed last Saturday gotten an acceptance call yet?

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely call Julie. How is UK's financial aid?
By "financial aid", do you mean scholarships? I know they have a lot of scholarships available for academic performance, diversity, and financial need that you can apply for once you get accepted. I don't know the monetary value though. There's an additional scholarship available 3rd and 4th year for anyone with a GPA above a specific cutoff as well.

The full listing is available here, but it doesn't include monetary value: https://meded.med.uky.edu/medical-education-scholarships. If you look in the column on the right, there are links for "academic excellence", "academic excellence/financial need" and "specialty and criterion-based" scholarships. Hope that helps!