2015-2016 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else noticed that UK's and Stanford's diversity prompts from last year are nearly identical? I'm guessing there's a reasonable explanation, but wow.

UK 2015 Secondary: "Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine."

Stanford 2015 Secondary: "The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from in state and was verified June 9...still haven't received a secondary. Should I be worried that I was screened out??
Last year, the first secondaries didn't go out until mud July. So no reason to worry yet! If there is one piece of advice I can give to you all, it's that you should try your best to not get freaked out by what is or isn't happening with other applicants during the cycle. It's way too easy to get into your own head during this long process. That being said, I will be starting at UK this fall, so I'll do my best to offer help and advice when I can. Good luck to you all and relax!

Reactions: 1 user
In-state student here. Learned through a summer program that EVERY APPLICANT will get a secondary from UK

In-state student here. Learned through a summer program that EVERY APPLICANT will get a secondary from UK

Really? On the MSAR it said they screened...

All in-sate get one IDK if it is the same for out of state

In-state checking in. Just received the secondary this morning.

1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?
2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?
3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?
4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.
5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?
6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.
7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

(OOS only)

This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:
  1. Reasons for selecting a medical career;
  2. Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
  3. Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
  4. Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
  5. Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

No word counts specified.

OOS - just received my secondary this morning!
For those of you who've already written your essays, about how long are they looking for? I didn't see any word counts but I just wanted to check to see if anyone had heard anything about a suggested length.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you end up figuring out the word limit?
Historically, there has been no word or character limit. There are some discussions about appropriate essay length in the threads of the last couple years. Looks like a couple people last year reported writing between 200 and 300 words, but as long as you fully answer the prompt without being overly verbose, whatever length it ends up will be fine.

Any more OOS-ers that don't have a secondary like me?

Thank you very much doyouhaveaflag. Will try to aim for 300 words. :)
Update to my previous answer: out of curiosity, I did a word count on my UK essays from the 2013-2014 cycle (same questions as this cycle) and found mine were between 220 and 480 words for the essays everyone fills out but 1200 words for the OOS essay (I guess I had a lot to say about that one).

Result: accepted (about to start second year here in two weeks), so I wouldn't worry too much about keeping it to a certain length.

Thanks! Very excited. Looks like a great school. LizzyM 68.

Last edited:
Finally got their secondary this morning!

On a side note, is there any consensus on whether they screen or not? Although, on the email they sent me, it did say that the school did screen.

For those who are curious, OOS Lizzy M~77

Finally got their secondary this morning!

On a side note, is there any consensus on whether they screen or not? Although, on the email they sent me, it did say that the school did screen.

For those who are curious, OOS Lizzy M~77
From what I understand based on the email, they only screen for interviews. I don't think they mean that they screen for secondaries.

OOS received this morning. Kentucky has 30% of the class OOS but I've heard that of those, most are from neighboring states such as Ohio, West Virginia, Tennessee, etc. Anybody able to confirm this?

From what I understand based on the email, they only screen for interviews. I don't think they mean that they screen for secondaries.
This was in an email I got:

"When screening non-Kentucky residents for the secondary application, we primarily look at GPA and MCAT as well as some demographics. When screening completed applications for interview selection, we consider the full application, including ties to the state as well as the applicant's secondary essay addressing why they have chosen to apply to UKCOM. Since UK is a state school, we do enroll mostly Kentuckians, with about 25-30% of our matriculants coming from outside the state."

This was in an email I got:

"When screening non-Kentucky residents for the secondary application, we primarily look at GPA and MCAT as well as some demographics. When screening completed applications for interview selection, we consider the full application, including ties to the state as well as the applicant's secondary essay addressing why they have chosen to apply to UKCOM. Since UK is a state school, we do enroll mostly Kentuckians, with about 25-30% of our matriculants coming from outside the state."
I'm sure it helps to have ties to the state, but it's not necessary. I was accepted OOS with no ties, and I'm from a state that's nowhere near Kentucky.

I'm sure it helps to have ties to the state, but it's not necessary. I was accepted OOS with no ties, and I'm from a state that's nowhere near Kentucky.

Do you mind sharing what you wrote for this "e. Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc." section? I'm also from a state that's nowhere near Kentucky, and other than the fact that I like the fast food chain that started from this state, I have no ties to this state.

Do you mind sharing what you wrote for this "e. Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc." section? I'm also from a state that's nowhere near Kentucky, and other than the fact that I like the fast food chain that started from this state, I have no ties to this state.
I wish I could remember what I wrote exactly, and I don't have it written down. If I remember correctly, I was just honest about my lack of connections to the state. Sorry I can't be more help. Also, contrary to popular belief, the first KFC was in my home state of Utah. Go figure.

So. I see that the consensus has been to make these essays about 200-300 words. However, three of mine are over 500. I just seem to have a lot to say! I would aim to be brief, but then they just would not read as well. Has anyone else submitted any this long?

Just for clarification, for the first question "How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?" are they asking for how you spend your free time engaging in learning opportunities? (the wording just seems strange to me)

Okay, so we don't have a consensus on whether they screen OOS secondaries yet. My stats are 3.7 cGPA, 3.3sGPA and a 32 MCAT.
They have this quote on their website "Competitive academic averages for screening out-of-state students in 2014 were 3.7 science and cumulative GPAs and MCAT scores of at least 32 cumulative, with no subscore below 10."

Seeing as I received a secondary, should I consider myself past the screen? Or that I will immediately be tossed after I submit, prior to interviews??

Okay, so we don't have a consensus on whether they screen OOS secondaries yet. My stats are 3.7 cGPA, 3.3sGPA and a 32 MCAT.
They have this quote on their website "Competitive academic averages for screening out-of-state students in 2014 were 3.7 science and cumulative GPAs and MCAT scores of at least 32 cumulative, with no subscore below 10."

Seeing as I received a secondary, should I consider myself past the screen? Or that I will immediately be tossed after I submit, prior to interviews??
This is just my opinion since I'm also applying OOS: I don't think they would immediately toss your app into the reject pile just because of your stats HOWEVER since your scores are slightly lower than what is considered competitive, there's just more pressure for you to stand out in your secondary essays to show that your stats are not an accurate reflection of your capabilities and motivation to pursue a medical career.

If anyone has further insight or knows whether UK puts more weight on stats vs. a holistic approach, feedback would be appreciated!

This is just my opinion since I'm also applying OOS: I don't think they would immediately toss your app into the reject pile just because of your stats HOWEVER since your scores are slightly lower than what is considered competitive, there's just more pressure for you to stand out in your secondary essays to show that your stats are not an accurate reflection of your capabilities and motivation to pursue a medical career.

If anyone has further insight or knows whether UK puts more weight on stats vs. a holistic approach, feedback would be appreciated!
Okay, I'll start writing my secondaries with that kind of attitude! I just need to really shine during my essays!

Not sure if you already read this but I got an email from admissions saying the following:

Not sure if you already read this but I got an email from admissions saying the following:

Edit: this was in reply to @hi.im.allie

So if an OOS has no connections to the state, should i mention that i have no personal ties...or should i just completely leave that section out?

Secondary submitted today, OOS. I know their website says they interview from August to March, does anyone know when they start sending interview invitations? Good luck to all!

So if an OOS has no connections to the state, should i mention that i have no personal ties...or should i just completely leave that section out?
I think I would describe your reasons for applying to the school. Despite no "personal" connections--maybe your dad, or anyone else in your family, did not go to medical school there--and being OOS, you must have some reasons for applying there. Make it a "why Kentucky?" essay. My two cents.

Secondary submitted today, OOS. I know their website says they interview from August to March, does anyone know when they start sending interview invitations? Good luck to all!
I would think they need to start going out soon, right? Typically they give a few weeks notice at least, so even if the earliest interview is the end of August, they should be going out soon. But what do I know?

I think I would describe your reasons for applying to the school. Despite no "personal" connections--maybe your dad, or anyone else in your family, did not go to medical school there--and being OOS, you must have some reasons for applying there. Make it a "why Kentucky?" essay. My two cents.
+1 I think leaving it blank would be a missed opportunity.

+1 I think leaving it blank would be a missed opportunity.
Agreed. I try to take advantage of all the space they give me. On an application with no character/word limit, I hope that doesn't come back to bite me because I wrote too much…but as long as the essay is well-organized, concise, and coherent, I would use the space to say something.

Just for clarification, for the first question "How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?" are they asking for how you spend your free time engaging in learning opportunities? (the wording just seems strange to me)

I am really confused for what they are trying to ask for this question, how did you guys deal with it? It is even more confusing because there is no word limit, so I am not sure how much to write.

I am really confused for what they are trying to ask for this question, how did you guys deal with it? It is even more confusing because there is no word limit, so I am not sure how much to write.

From what I've heard (please correct me if I'm wrong), the way their courses are formatted allows students to spend a lot of time outside of class learning on their own. Which is great for independent learners, bad for people who require more structure. I took this question to mean: If I have a lot of free time during the day that is not spent in class, do I have a history of procrastinating? Or will I be able to allocate my free time in a productive way?

My answers to these questions fluctuated between 200 and 750 words. So I'd just write what you feel is appropriate to address the question. I was a little nervous writing so much for some of them, but they have some great questions!

Reactions: 1 users
I ended up briefly mentioning that I can use unscheduled time to do non-academic and academic learning opportunities and that I am productive, but then I focused on past experiences where I self-taught myself to learn new things like using Photoshop for animations, basic html coding, etc. Not sure if that's what they're looking for but hopefully even though I didn't give academic examples, they'll see that I am capable of making the most of my time...

I ended up briefly mentioning that I can use unscheduled time to do non-academic and academic learning opportunities and that I am productive, but then I focused on past experiences where I self-taught myself to learn new things like using Photoshop for animations, basic html coding, etc. Not sure if that's what they're looking for but hopefully even though I didn't give academic examples, they'll see that I am capable of making the most of my time...

That is what I have so far as well!

Anybody else's status change from Complete to Sent for Screening?

Anybody else's status change from Complete to Sent for Screening?

Yes! I had that status update yesterday. Today it says "interview(s) to be scheduled". So I'm assuming that's a good sign? I haven't received a formal invitation or email yet.

Yes! I had that status update yesterday. Today it says "interview(s) to be scheduled". So I'm assuming that's a good sign? I haven't received a formal invitation or email yet.
Congrats echidna001, well of course that is a good sign! I just got interview to be scheduled too!! I don't know how long we'll have to wait but at least we know we will get an II. Hope the formal email isn't too late though because UK interviews fill up lightning fast.