2015-2016 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For everyone who has interviewed so far, what does your secondary status say? I interviewed mid-september and my status changed to "Admissions Committee Decision Complete" quickly after and stayed that way for many weeks. But now it says "Interviews Complete."

I interviewed in late august and mine did the same thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!!! Wasn't expecting it this afternoon. Soooo excited!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!!! Wasn't expecting it this afternoon. Soooo excited!
Congrats! Did you receive notification via email? I thought they were supposed to wait until tomorrow...

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Did you receive notification via email? I thought they were supposed to wait until tomorrow...
Phone call. That's what I was thinking as well. Even looked up the guy who called to make sure it was real. Haha

just curious, does your secondary still say "interviews completed" or has it been updated to "decision made" @nike98

Got the call! Accepted! A very nice touch to have the interviewer I had personally speak with me. Good luck to everyone today!

Reactions: 1 user
Also accepted, so excited!! OOS...My premed advisor actually emailed me to congratulate me on my acceptance a couple days ago. Not sure how she knew, but it feels better to have it be official. Good luck to everybody waiting to hear!

For those of you who got the call today - congratulations! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Have any of y'all who interviewed September 1st heard back yet?

Interviewing tomorrow :horns:... because it's RPLP I should find out if I get accepted (or rejected... don't like to think about that) only a week after the interview!

Anybody interviewing Sep 26 heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I haven't already mentioned it, I just want to give you guys a heads up that the acceptance calls typically don't come in order of interview date at UK. From what I understand, they give the interviewers a list of accepted people to call, so when you get the call depends on when the interviewer has time to do it. I'm not sure they call in any particular order either. So don't worry if people who interviewed later than you are getting acceptance calls before you! Your call may be coming...

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 9/1, oos, accepted today! I love this school.

Last edited:
I interviewed September 1st. OOS Canadian applicant. Nothing yet!

At least we're in the same waiting boat! I'm OOS too. Also, potentially unrelated question, but does your portal still say interviews completed or did it switch over to the review one? (Mine's still at the interviews one and I'm getting so antsy to just know already haha)

Anybody get an acceptance email? The guy who called me said I should get it today.

I was placed on hold, interviewed 9/1. I caved and called.

I was placed on hold, interviewed 9/1. I caved and called.

Same here, and interviewed the same day. I called just now and she said we'd be re-reviewed in December or January sometime

So even if your portal says "interview complete" there is a chance that they are going to wait until December/January to re-review your file?
I interviewed already. I was put on hold and they might look at my file again.

Has anyone accepted received anything further from the University? I have yet to get anything official.

Has anyone accepted received anything further from the University? I have yet to get anything official.
I haven't received anything yet either. I believe they told me on the phone that we would get a packet or something this week.

Awesome! Stats?

In-state; UK graduate in May 2015; Majored in Engineering, 3.73 GPA

My application is pretty unique. I did really (like really really) bad on the MCAT verbal section, well below average. But I got an 11 on PS and a 10 on BS. This was my first time taking the MCAT, and it was the old MCAT. I was planning a retake, but I decided not to rush it and instead take it with my own time and if that meant I wouldn't have another score in this cycle, then so be it.

When I got my secondary, you bet I wrote them like a frickin' beast and made sure I stood out. I got the interview, and yesterday the acceptance. I felt so blessed :angelic:

I'm not saying this to brag on anything, I swear. I'm just posting this to show future applicants that the MCAT is a very large part of the application, BUT an acceptance is about the whole package and I'm proof of that. There's so much individuality and chance involved and you just have to own your story and make it shine.

Edit:

That GPA is my graduation GPA, here's my AMCAS GPA

BCPM: 3.53
AO: 3.60
Total: 3.57

I'm not saying this to brag on anything, I swear. I'm just posting this to show future applicants that the MCAT is a very large part of the application, BUT an acceptance is about the whole package and I'm proof of that. There's so much individuality and chance involved and you just have to own your story and make it shine.
Congrats @TheEngineeringNerd! I know a lot of schools say this, but I truly believe UK looks at an applicant's entire application, which is way more than just numbers. I know a lot of people in my class who don't have "ideal" stats (low GPA/high MCAT and vice versa) but who are remarkable people all the same and who are killing it in med school. Once you start, it will make no difference at all if you bombed the verbal section. Good luck wherever you end up!

Congrats @TheEngineeringNerd! I know a lot of schools say this, but I truly believe UK looks at an applicant's entire application, which is way more than just numbers. I know a lot of people in my class who don't have "ideal" stats (low GPA/high MCAT and vice versa) but who are remarkable people all the same and who are killing it in med school. Once you start, it will make no difference at all if you bombed the verbal section. Good luck wherever you end up!

Thank you and I agree wholeheartedly!! UK is my family and I'm so happy that the sentiment is mutual

I can vouch for this. I definitely don't have the "ideal" stats (low GPA, high MCAT) but I've busted my butt for the last couple of years to prove that my sub 3.0 GPA in undergrad doesn't reflect me as the student I am now.

Nonetheless, interviewing on Tuesday as an OOS. Wish me luck!

I've been very impressed with UK in general and completely agree with everything being said. I'm a non-traditional student (with a background in both engineering and the social sciences - long story). UK has been the one school so far that treated my background as an asset, not something I should have to explain. They had clearly read through my file and took the time to individualize my interview. Because of my unique experiences, they made me feel sought after, rather than just another applicant with average stats who has to prove themselves.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Lexington as a city (even Louisville feels tiny to me) but everything about UK is amazing and I think it will be a great place to spend the next four years!

Can anyone please clarify where to meet for the interview? On the confirmation email, it said to meet in a conference room at the college of medicine, 138 leader avenue...but on the interview schedule website, it said to meet in the college of medicine conference room MN136 in the chandler hospital.

Can anyone please clarify where to meet for the interview? On the confirmation email, it said to meet in a conference room at the college of medicine, 138 leader avenue...but on the interview schedule website, it said to meet in the college of medicine conference room MN136 in the chandler hospital.
The COM offices moved recently and kinks are still being worked out. From what I can tell, all the November dates are in MN136 of Chandler. Definitely worth pointing it out to Kim Scott or whoever emailed you the confirmation that it's time to update the email with their new digs.

The COM offices moved recently and kinks are still being worked out. From what I can tell, all the November dates are in MN136 of Chandler. Definitely worth pointing it out to Kim Scott or whoever emailed you the confirmation that it's time to update the email with their new digs.
Thanks. If my friends drop me off, they can just drop me off at the main circular entrance right across the parking garage right? Walking distance to that conference room? I find a map for building but not the map for the college of medicine or hospital:(

Thanks. If my friends drop me off, they can just drop me off at the main circular entrance right across the parking garage right? Walking distance to that conference room? I find a map for building but not the map for the college of medicine or hospital:(
Yeah, if you get dropped off at the main circular entrance it's just a few minutes' walk. That's the new Pavilion (Pav A) entrance and the COM is in the old Pavilion (Pav H). Actually, if they drop you off on the Rose street entrance, it's closer to where you need to be. I have looked high and low for a map of this hospital to no avail. Unfortunately, the new COM location is kinda hard to find. If they didn't give you directions with your interview info, I'd say your best bet is to ask at one of the information desks in the hospital if you get lost (they're near the entrances). If they don't know what you're talking about at the help desk, it's where Pediatrics used to be and it's right next to the Dental School. Sorry to not be better help :(

Perhaps someone who interviewed recently could give some insight as to how they found it without a map?