2015-2016 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang... They have just two interview weekends left, correct?

I was complete 9/1 IS and was really hoping for this one.

Members don't see this ad.

Dang... They have just two interview weekends left, correct?

I was complete 9/1 IS and was really hoping for this one.

Why do you say this? have they historically stopped after the first half of the year?

I really wanted an II here too! (anywhere really :) )

Well their website says that there are 6 total weekends that they interview. I could be wrong, but I remember seeing that somewhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well their website says that there are 6 total weekends that they interview. I could be wrong, but I remember seeing that somewhere!

It's true that there are 6 interview weekends total! They have one day per month in August, September, October, November, January, and February.

I recently interviewed here, these are my thoughts:

1. Wow, this place is great.
2. Roanoke is much nicer than I thought it would be.
3. The education I would get here would likely be better than any other school. I say this because I would thrive in a small school environment that emphasizes engagement (PBL) to reinforce knowledge learned in lecture.

Reactions: 1 user
Dang only one day per month!!! That's crazy. And only a few more left. Fingers crossed for the rest of us guys!' :)

+1 II today! I was complete 9/1.

Don't know how but it's being scheduled for the November weekend. I was complaining earlier thinking that I was 'passed over' but I suppose that isn't the case haha.

+1 II today! I was complete 9/1.

Don't know how but it's being scheduled for the November weekend. I was complaining earlier thinking that I was 'passed over' but I suppose that isn't the case haha.
Congrats!

I really loved VA Tech, too, but I was a little concerned when the students said very few of them go to the lecture classes. They said the PBL small group discussions are mandatory, but for the lectures, I wish more students went to class, especially since it's a small school. Did you have any reactions about that while you were interviewing??

I did.

I'm a lecture-goer myself so I appreciate having classmates show up. I don't think that very few folks go to lectures, from at least who I spoke to about this during our 'off the cuff' time.

Re: the lecture discussion, once you hit med school, time is precious. Everyone should be free to study in whatever way works best for him/her because we truthfully have to learn a vast amount of information in a short amount of time. Some people are great auditory learners and attend lectures. Some, myself included, like going to some lectures but know that we absorb information much more comprehensively and quickly by utilizing other types of resources. This is the strategy I have employed thus far and it has worked very well for me. Very many medical schools now have optional lectures (this is in no way unique to VTCSOM), and that is a great choice in my opinion as it allows us to learn in the way that works best for us. I have had a very good experience with the optional lecture system, and would definitely recommend it (current VTC M2).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Called adcom today, they're planning on giving out acceptance calls/emails for the first few rounds of interviews Nov. 11th at the earliest, maybe a few days later

Called adcom today, they're planning on giving out acceptance calls/emails for the first few rounds of interviews Nov. 11th at the earliest, maybe a few days later
The 11th is Veteran's Day. I wonder if the Adcom will have that day off? Based off past forums the decision has come out on the 13th. I took that day off from work to wait for the decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what is considered the first few rounds of interviews? I'm assuming August/September?

Just received my acceptance! Got a call this morning and thought you guys would like to know that September Interview acceptances have started. Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! They mentioned some scholarship offer, anyone have any idea the type of money they give?

They said they would include any scholarship offers in the official acceptance email youll get in a few days

Does everyone hear the thing about the scholarship? I was too excited to actually pay attention so I'm wondering if I was actually offered scholarship or if he was just saying we would hear about a potential scholarship through email

Is that the end to the phone calls this week or will they continue throughout the rest of the week?

I called. They will send the rest of the calls out tomorrow. I wonder if the list of alphabetic?

Im not sure if the list is alphabetical or not. But those who were accepted would you mind saying what half of the alphabet you're in?

Im not sure if the list is alphabetical or not. But those who were accepted would you mind saying what half of the alphabet you're in?
I was accepted today and I am very much in the second half of the alphabet. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Is this for both October and September interviews?

has anyone from the first round of interviews heard today (weds 11/11)? I know the first round of calls went out yesterday. good luck everyone :)

Nope! I did call Admissions today, though, to ask if she could tell me my status. She was really friendly and said she doesn't have information about who is accepted. But she said more acceptance calls are going out today (although I'm guessing maybe it's just calling back people who missed their calls yesterday? Just a guess though) and that the rest of us will receive an email tomorrow or the day after about being held until March. Hope that helps!

thank you!

Anyone have any tips or general advice for the interview?

Does anyone remember when the next round of acceptances are released?

I interviewed in October and I believe they said we wouldn't know until January?

I interviewed in October and I believe they said we wouldn't know until January?

Yep! Come January they will look at around 85 interviewees for releasing acceptances from their past two interview dates (October and November).

For reference, I was told at my interview that 29 acceptances were offered after the first two interview weekends. So 29/84 for that go around. I'm not sure if as many will be offered for our batch, but we'll see. The way I understood it was that we'll only be evaluated against each other and not the 55 or so that were not accepted from the first two interview weekends; they are waiting until April.

Them and everyone else ends up being re-evaluated in April after people withdraw apps post interview. Then the wait list fills the rest of the class.

Yep! Come January they will look at around 85 interviewees for releasing acceptances from their past two interview dates (October and November).

For reference, I was told at my interview that 29 acceptances were offered after the first two interview weekends. So 29/84 for that go around. I'm not sure if as many will be offered for our batch, but we'll see. The way I understood it was that we'll only be evaluated against each other and not the 55 or so that were not accepted from the first two interview weekends; they are waiting until April.

Them and everyone else ends up being re-evaluated in April after people withdraw apps post interview. Then the wait list fills the rest of the class.

Thank you for all of that info! So nerve wracking, but I'm glad I can just enjoy the holidays without constantly worrying (until January hits!) :)

anyone know if there are many more interview invites left in the pipeline here?

Reactions: 3 users
From past looks it seems that they are offering them the month prior to their interview weekend.
They should have two interview weekends left if I'm not mistaken. (Aug, Oct, Sept, Nov) have already happened and they have a total of 6. So around 84 II left to give out as I think no interviews have been given out after the November interview... but that's just me guessing based on what I've seen on this thread. I think Jan is their next one but I can't recall 100% from when they presented all of this stuff at my interview.
anyone know if there are many more interview invites left in the pipeline here?

Reactions: 1 users
From past looks it seems that they are offering them the month prior to their interview weekend.
They should have two interview weekends left if I'm not mistaken. (Aug, Oct, Sept, Nov) have already happened and they have a total of 6. So around 84 II left to give out as I think no interviews have been given out after the November interview... but that's just me guessing based on what I've seen on this thread. I think Jan is their next one but I can't recall 100% from when they presented all of this stuff at my interview.

thanks for that info!

Got an II. Extremely unexpected, but I'm thrilled. Complete 9/1