2015-2016 Western Michigan University Homer Stryker Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I could've sworn that the lady on the interview day said, "you should hear back in three weeks but my goal is to get decisions out in two weeks. You can start calling me if you don't hear in three weeks."

Yeah I remember her saying that too, which is why I'm hoping we hear back on or before Friday ... If not, anyone know if her direct phone number was on any of the emails she sent us :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah probably cause of thanksgiving they're a bit behind. I remember them mentioning it was a "green week" so maybe staff took a break too.

Campus II this morning!!! Phone interview was on 11/16

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just called admissions again to ask if any decisions were going out this week and the woman said that I should be hearing back shortly, probably within the next few days (I interviewed 11/20). So hopefully by the end of the week we should be hearing something :D

Also just got wait listed, interviewed 11/20 ... I know I asked this a little earlier, but does anyone know how many people actually get accepted off the wait list here ?

Just got offered a phone interview!!! Keep your chins up for everyone still holding on :clap:

I was complete 9/2

Phone Interview offer today just a bit ago !!
Experience review complete 8/9.
Yay!

Reactions: 3 users
Also just got wait listed, interviewed 11/20 ... I know I asked this a little earlier, but does anyone know how many people actually get accepted off the wait list here ?
I'd really like to know this as well.

You should check last year's thread. There were quite a few people accepted off the waiting list.

Reactions: 1 user
Invited for a phone interview today after being complete in July! I will be withdrawing my application though so hopefully the phone interview goes to one of you! Good luck everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted, 68. Would have been nice to have a first acceptance but tbh I didn't really love the school's policies on Step 1 and no summer break.

Waitlisted, 68. Would have been nice to have a first acceptance but tbh I didn't really love the school's policies on Step 1 and no summer break.
Just wondering what is the Step 1 Policy? And is there no summer break after the first year?

Just wondering what is the Step 1 Policy? And is there no summer break after the first year?
-snip-

There are no big breaks, but there are mini breaks dispersed throughout the year. And you can either take the break, or do some extracurriculars. Basically you have to work your butt off if you want a competitive residency application, but WMed spaces everything out. So while you sacrifice long vacations, your school days will be very manageable.

That's what I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong WMed peeps.

And WMed must have the lowest post-interview acceptance rate haha.

Last edited:
Received a campus II this morning! Completed telephone interview on 11/20.

Thanks for the info! I just got the phone II so I have not had time to read up on the school yet...
The 2nd and 3rd year flip is interesting! Their medical student manual is available on their site and is about as thorough as I've ever seen. Good information...

And WMed must have the lowest post-interview acceptance rate haha.
Are you being sarcastic, or is this for real?

Thanks for the info! I just got the phone II so I have not had time to read up on the school yet...
The 2nd and 3rd year flip is interesting! Their medical student manual is available on their site and is about as thorough as I've ever seen. Good information...

Are you being sarcastic, or is this for real?

Oh no. I'm serious. And it's intentionally misleading.

What it is, I think, is that they "waitlist" most people from the interviews. Very few people reported acceptances.
According to some M1-M2s, their waitlist is basically a "good enough for acceptance" list.
-theory snip-

Are post interview rejections common on the other hand? I don't know.

Last edited:
So Step 1 is taken after year 3. The reasoning is that the clinical year will help solidify your step 1 knowledge and schools that have been doing it so far have seen higher step 1 scores.

Needless to say I think it will be fine, it's not something as students we are bothered by.

Regarding the no summer break thing: I think it's fantastic that they take the 10 weeks of summer break and split them up throughout the first two years as vacation and/or elective weeks.

I think it's fantastic that after most blocks you get a week break. Overall I think it reduces burnout, also I enjoy those breaks over a summer break because I can't imagine having the entire summer off and having an easy time getting back in the swing of things.

For those that argue you need it for research, you're wrong :) You can do research throughout the school year. There's a lot of opportunities since it's a fairly small school. I got involved early with surgical research and it's been easy to fit in my schedule.

this is just my 2¢

Both M1s and M2s have a summative next week, so we might be scarce around here until after that :) good luck to all interviewees and applicants! Let us know if you any questions!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing tomorrow...any last minute tips? I will not accept "Be yourself"! Lol

I called admissions and they said for the structured portion, it helps to prep for it like an MMI. Hopefully that helps. :)

Myself and several classmates were accepted off of the waitlist. Don't fret - the waitlist is a GOOD thing. WMed wants you if you're on the waitlist. The hard part is staying calm and patient, but it's worth it!

If you'd like to discuss further, there are some great reasons for bumping Step 1 until after clerkships. The USMLE has shifted a lot of the questions to have a more clinical focus, so having been through multiple clerkship rotations is a benefit.

Additionally, not having a summer break enables students to to have regular breaks and a more tolerable work schedule during the school year. For the most part, we get a decent break after we complete a course. Having the breathers spread out throughout the school year has been fantastic so far!

Interviewing tomorrow...any last minute tips? I will not accept "Be yourself"! Lol

I called admissions and they said for the structured portion, it helps to prep for it like an MMI. Hopefully that helps. :)

The weather is going to be beautiful tomorrow! Unseasonably so... like, 20* degrees warmer than normal. Have fun, enjoy, we're happy to have candidates coming to check out the school!

Oh no. I'm serious. And it's intentionally misleading.

What it is, I think, is that they "waitlist" most people from the interviews. Very few people reported acceptances.
According to some M1-M2s, their waitlist is basically a "good enough for acceptance" list. But given that many people use WMed as a backup school and resign their acceptances later (coupled with the fact that this school doesn't have decades of acceptance/withdrawal data), they have to be alot more careful with their immediate acceptances. So rather than make the decision now, they'll continually pull from the "waitlist" throughout the year (or whatever's left of it anyway). But they like updating us now about the situation rather than not tell us anything post-interview for months (like some other schools...)

Are post interview rejections common on the other hand? I don't know.

M2 here.

So, Holmwood, I love ya but you've jumped a little beyond your knowledge (even though you sound very confident) :)

There are a good number of acceptances post interview. SDN does not represent all applicants, may not even represent most applicants. So remember that you don't hear the entire story.

Also, some interview days have more acceptances than most. This is because technically, post interview, EVERYBODY is evaluated by the adcom. The people who interviewed at the most recent day, and all the ones who interviewed before that. So everyone is evaluated, and then some acceptances are offered. Sometimes, most of the acceptances come from the most recent interview day. Sometimes, people from previous interview days are stronger candidates. The entire interview pool is evaluated at every adcom, and the most competitive applicants from that entire interview pool is accepted.

Doing this has nothing to do with whether some applicants see us as a backup school (and I think that most accepted people don't hold that view, although I could only offer anecdotal evidence). This approach was decided before there were ever applicants. It's a slow and careful building of the incoming class in order to make sure that early interviews aren't disproportionately accepted, and to make sure we don't miss exceptional applicants in later interview days.

Post-interview rejections definitely happen but I don't know if I would call them "common." If you got to the interview, chances are we want you - that's typically not the question. The question is, of those candidates we want - are you the best candidate for the seat available?

Consistently, current students comment on how cohesive the class is, how everyone is on a similar level, and how well we all work together. This is the result of incredibly hard work by our admissions office to make sure that the absolutely best candidates make it through our doors. I realize that can make it feel like we leave you waiting - but I promise you, you are being considered at every adcom meeting.

And finally - responding to another previous comment - year 2 and 3 are not flipped. You can see a curriculum map in the student handbook (available online to anybody), it's a standard progression from basic sciences to organ systems in year 1 and 2, to clinical rotations in years 3 and 4. We take step1 at the end of year 3, like students at a number of other schools (including Penn, FIU, Columbia, NYU, Baylor, I've heard Hopkins is switching to end of 3rd year soon). The average step1 score goes up when schools switch to end of 3rd year, so we're following what appears to be a best practice on that.

M2 here.

So, Holmwood, I love ya but you've jumped a little beyond your knowledge (even though you sound very confident) :)

There are a good number of acceptances post interview. SDN does not represent all applicants, may not even represent most applicants. So remember that you don't hear the entire story.

Also, some interview days have more acceptances than most. This is because technically, post interview, EVERYBODY is evaluated by the adcom. The people who interviewed at the most recent day, and all the ones who interviewed before that. So everyone is evaluated, and then some acceptances are offered. Sometimes, most of the acceptances come from the most recent interview day. Sometimes, people from previous interview days are stronger candidates. The entire interview pool is evaluated at every adcom, and the most competitive applicants from that entire interview pool is accepted.

Doing this has nothing to do with whether some applicants see us as a backup school (and I think that most accepted people don't hold that view, although I could only offer anecdotal evidence). This approach was decided before there were ever applicants. It's a slow and careful building of the incoming class in order to make sure that early interviews aren't disproportionately accepted, and to make sure we don't miss exceptional applicants in later interview days.

Post-interview rejections definitely happen but I don't know if I would call them "common." If you got to the interview, chances are we want you - that's typically not the question. The question is, of those candidates we want - are you the best candidate for the seat available?

Consistently, current students comment on how cohesive the class is, how everyone is on a similar level, and how well we all work together. This is the result of incredibly hard work by our admissions office to make sure that the absolutely best candidates make it through our doors. I realize that can make it feel like we leave you waiting - but I promise you, you are being considered at every adcom meeting.

And finally - responding to another previous comment - year 2 and 3 are not flipped. You can see a curriculum map in the student handbook (available online to anybody), it's a standard progression from basic sciences to organ systems in year 1 and 2, to clinical rotations in years 3 and 4. We take step1 at the end of year 3, like students at a number of other schools (including Penn, FIU, Columbia, NYU, Baylor, I've heard Hopkins is switching to end of 3rd year soon). The average step1 score goes up when schools switch to end of 3rd year, so we're following what appears to be a best practice on that.

Just adding to this...step one scores don't just go up, they go up by a FULL SD...ON AVERAGE! According to Dean Jenson.

Wow, thanks for the clarification everyone! I must have became progressively confused over these past few months of waiting, because as time passed and the more I explained to my parents/colleagues, the more it sounded like a regular old waitlist... lol. Sorry for the misinformation guys.

As an aside, let me just say that WMed isn't my backup school. It is my top choice. Aside from costs, it is easily better than my state schools in terms of the scheduling, test preparation, and just immense opportunites for extracurriculars/clinical exposure/research. And I came from THAT west coast state. Most medical students can't say they know how to respond to emergency situations in a couple years. Most medical students can't say they published manuscripts. Most medical students can't say they scored one standard deviation above the national average. This is all possible at WMed, Haha!

All the more to be impatient about waiting. :O

I think because they are new they aren't allowed to overaccept while waiting for people to turn down their offers...probably explains the huge waitlist.

I think because they are new they aren't allowed to overaccept while waiting for people to turn down their offers...probably explains the huge waitlist.
Mm, well that was my theory.

I did hear some schools do that though. That whole "I want to test if you're serious about coming to this school by making you wait" shtick. While people do withdraw applications here at WMed, I don't think this is the reason they waitlist people anyway.

I do recall hearing from Ms. Shelton that they um... how to say it? Well I have an analogy. They try to find the right flowers to balance a bouquet, and it takes time to decide which flowers you're missing without looking at the full arrangements. Because a bouquet full of high quality roses is still pretty boring.

Last edited:

Hey Laurel!

I am interviewing today too! Maybe we will meet. I'll be in the black suit! Ha! (With a blue blouse.)

Hey Laurel!

I am interviewing today too! Maybe we will meet. I'll be in the black suit! Ha! (With a blue blouse.)

Black suit, gray button up (or a black blouse, I'd but money on the button up though). :)

No. They are allowed to do what they want. The director of admissions has her plan and it has worked well. Don't stress the waitlist.

Question to you guys - Is it worth it to encourage my friend to submit a secondary to Western Michigan? She's a competitive candidate, and I think she just wasn't aware of the school previously (prior to me informing her of how great it is) - would she have any hope at this point in the game?

On the website I see: "November 15, 2015: Deadline for completed AMCAS application."
... thus, impossible?

Question to you guys - Is it worth it to encourage my friend to submit a secondary to Western Michigan? She's a competitive candidate, and I think she just wasn't aware of the school previously (prior to me informing her of how great it is) - would she have any hope at this point in the game?
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't send her a secondary around this time if they didn't think she had a shot. Secondaries are screened by the way.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't send her a secondary around this time if they didn't think she had a shot. Secondaries are screened by the way.
thanks holmwood, what I mean is - my friend hasn't submitted a primary application to wmed at all. It seems like it may be past the deadline to submit a primary there, but i'm not 100 percent clear on that

Just interviewed yesterday. I was quite impressed with the school and interview day. It was the best presentation to date. This is my fourth interview day so I have comparisons.

The director of admissions is with the group the whole day except for lunch/tour with students, who are the friendliest bunch I have ever met. I didn't realize until yesterday that it is the director of admissions that you meet at school fairs. She is the face of the school at info sessions which is impressive. I had spoken to her several times at MMED, etc. I am sure she has a big say in choosing interviewees so get to those info sessions and introduce yourself.

The new building is gorgeous and has the most impressive sim center I have seen. (And I've seen some good ones.) They make great use of technology and have all curriculum/texts online in Apple format which I like. (Hard copies are available in library. I think PC works too.)

The staff, faculty and students are really glad you are there. They are very enthusiastic about the school and it shines through. They interview less than 10% of applicants, which boils down to about 450 out of 6000. If you get an interview here it means they really like you.

The interviews, which were laid back, happened after all the presentations and lunch. The timing of the interviews worried me a bit because I thought I would be tired but it was fine. There were overview, curriculum and financial aid talks. (No federal loans yet but they should be available late 2016. You can take out private and the use federal loans to pay private ones.) As a non trad with kids, I really like their curriculum layout with breaks after each topic and step1 after 3rd year. Another non trad said that the whole deal was doable with kids. (That was a great relief to hear.) They seem to incorporate best practices from other med schools and are fluid enough to change if something is not working. Current students reported giving lots of feedback and being heard.

During the overview, they focused on what they have to offer, maintaining a tight identity and challenging you to consider seriously whether you are a good fit for who they are. This impressed me because, after relatively little time as a med school, they have an established identity and are bold about presenting it. They are not trying to be all things to all people. If you want a small school (72 in your class) with lots of people interaction and personal attention then this may be a good fit. If you are a lone wolf, run. This school will be your worst nightmare.

Overall I like WMED, a lot. Interview day made me want to go there and, while tuition is $20k more than other MI schools, I would be thrilled to be accepted and would seriously consider going.

Bravo, WMED! For me, you have set the standard for interview days.

Reactions: 13 users
I received my acceptance just over a month ago, but I've been so busy celebrating (read: studying) that I'm only now getting around to posting. Like others have mentioned, there are so many wonderful things about WMed, not least of which are the people who make up the community. I'm very much looking forward to meeting future classmates and seeing how well we complement one another.

Myself and several classmates were accepted off of the waitlist. Don't fret - the waitlist is a GOOD thing. WMed wants you if you're on the waitlist. The hard part is staying calm and patient, but it's worth it!

Did you or anyone else who got off the wait list send any type of letter; update, letter of interest or I intent, etc.? I don't have any major updates to send but I was hoping that sending a letter to express my interest in the school might help?

I was also wondering when people start getting pulled off the wait list ? I'm waiting to hear back from a few schools but my SO is moving with me and will need to find a new job wherever we end up - WMed is my top choice but Im worried I will need to accept an offer at another school before hearing back about the wait list so that my SO can have time to find a good job before quitting his current one

Did you or anyone else who got off the wait list send any type of letter; update, letter of interest or I intent, etc.? I don't have any major updates to send but I was hoping that sending a letter to express my interest in the school might help?

I was also wondering when people start getting pulled off the wait list ? I'm waiting to hear back from a few schools but my SO is moving with me and will need to find a new job wherever we end up - WMed is my top choice but Im worried I will need to accept an offer at another school before hearing back about the wait list so that my SO can have time to find a good job before quitting his current one
There was one person that got accepted off waitlist about a month ago I believe. Since they consider you at every meeting, it's unclear when you'll get an acceptance. For me, I've been waiting for two months and still no word. : / And it's also unclear whether your SO will get a job in Michigan or wherever your other school is as job apps aren't guarantees either.

The best case scenario is that you get accepted to WMed and your SO can get his top choice job in Michigan. The worst case scenario is that you and your SO will have to be in separate areas, albeit it's temporary (you can go back and visit during WMed's numerous breaks, and indefinitely during residency). I encourage you to make a separate thread for this to get a wider range of opinions. From what I can see, this seems to be a common predicament, and so there will be people who have gone through the same dilemma that can help you. Good luck!

Last edited:
I personally know someone who was accepted off the wait list about a month after he was initially wait listed. So they are currently doing these types of acceptances...

Generally you should only send in an update if you have substantial updates. That's not a WMed specific thing, that's a general applications thing. At best, it does nothing for you. At worst, it looks like you're not doing anything to strengthen your application (if you don't have any updates).

My personal advice (take it or leave it) is not to send in an update unless you have something substantial. Published a paper? Awesome. Finished your masters degree? Awesome. That sort of thing.

Good luck. I know how difficult it can be to juggle an SO through this process. Figuring out the details of my husband finding work quickly (in a small professional field) was very stressful, but it worked out well for us in the end. I hope you have good luck too!!

Last year I was waitlisted in October. I sent in two update letters with grades and extracurriculars, and my Pre-med advisor sent a letter as well vouching for me. Didn't get off the waitlist until May 1st. Still one of the best phone calls I've ever received, even if I was a teensy bit "groggy" from celebrating Senior week at school.

For anyone who interviewed 12/11, when did Ms. Shelton say we might get notification?

wake up... check email (nothing)... check forums (nothing)... check app status (no changes)... *sigh*... another day of waiting for dreams to come true...

Any idea what day people who interviewed in early December will hear back? I was kind of expecting it to be today based on when past groups heard back, but nothing so far! :(

Accepted here today! Interviewed December 4th