2015-2016 Western Michigan University Homer Stryker Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea what day people who interviewed in early December will hear back? I was kind of expecting it to be today based on when past groups heard back, but nothing so far! :(
Ms. Shelton mentioned before Christmas (I would say by Wednesday). However, I believe she said that if a decision wasn't made, that they would inform us when we might here back.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted. :/ Although I'm definitely happy to know my application will still be re-evaluated at future meetings, does anyone actually get rejected post-interview?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was also accepted this morning. Interviewed 12/4

Reactions: 4 users
Got the call just now! Accepted!!!!! Was waitlisted on 12/9. Interviewed 11/20

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my phone call this morning. Interviewed 12/11, so people should hear back soon. Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like Santa came a little early this year for me. Got the call late this morning. Accepted with small merit scholarship!! Interviewed on 12/11.

This is my first acceptance for the cycle. What a wonderful way to start off the holidays.

Best of luck to those still awaiting news. I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Merry Christmas to everyone! Congrats on all the new acceptances. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday with people that love them (and lots of good food!)

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been rejected post-phone interview but pre-real interview?

Yep, and I'm hoping this is a good sign for us who had a phone interview a long time ago and haven't been rejected yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Speak of the devil! Interview just now. There are weekly interview days beginning in mid January. Thank you based Homer Stryker.

II !! Stats in MD Apps =) Telephone interview complete 9/21

SO EXCITED my kid brother goes there for undergrad!!

I know this has been asked before, but I don't believe it was ever answered (sorry if it was!). Does anyone know approximately how many people are accepted off the waitlist?

I know this has been asked before, but I don't believe it was ever answered (sorry if it was!). Does anyone know approximately how many people are accepted off the waitlist?

Many. From what I've heard a good portion of the matriculating classes in the past were from the waitlist.

Many. From what I've heard a good portion of the matriculating classes in the past were from the waitlist.

See previous posts for a better explanation of how the waitlist works at WMed, but...

The waitlist is sort of poorly named, it's more like the "being considered at every adcom list." Some people are accepted from that pool of people being considered immediately, some people a week or 2 weeks after interviewing, and some people months after interviewing. In essence, everybody spends some time on the waitlist - but many people never know that because they've been accepted right away off the pool of "applicants under consideration."

So don't panic if you get "waitlisted," that just means they're continuing to consider you alongside everyone else interviewing.

Does anyone know what your application number is? Is it the same number as the one you use to log in, sign up for interviews... etc? I don't see my AAMC number any where on my WMed app or website... trying to figure out what number the school uses to identify me.

Does anyone know what your application number is? Is it the same number as the one you use to log in, sign up for interviews... etc? I don't see my AAMC number any where on my WMed app or website... trying to figure out what number the school uses to identify me.
It's the ID you log in as. : D

I'm going to ask a potentially stupid question... where do you go on interview day? Is there only one WMed building with one main entrance? That's what it looked like on google maps, but just wanted to be sure. I didn't see a particular address that we should go to listed in the interview confirmation email...

I'm going to ask a potentially stupid question... where do you go on interview day? Is there only one WMed building with one main entrance? That's what it looked like on google maps, but just wanted to be sure. I didn't see a particular address that we should go to listed in the interview confirmation email...
Yup! Though make sure you're going to the med school building and not the university building to the left of it. It's hard to miss the cake-looking building.

Here is where you want to go. Can't miss the entrance, it's directly across from an Alamo Drafthouse.

Here is where you want to go. Can't miss the entrance, it's directly across from an Alamo Drafthouse.
Thanks! Across from the drafthouse?? That could end up being the death of me if I go here...

Also, does anyone know how long each interview is? Do you interview with faculty or students? or both?

Thanks! Across from the drafthouse?? That could end up being the death of me if I go here...

Also, does anyone know how long each interview is? Do you interview with faculty or students? or both?

There 2 structured interviews, with people from the community or the medical school (they don't know your app), they are 15 mins each (if I remember right), and one one-on-on interview with a faculty who knows your app, mine lasted about 30 mins. Count on the day lasting from 9:30 til about 3:30. They serve a very nice lunch, and go over what the school has to offer nicely.

(p.s. The Alamo Drafthouse is actually a movie theater, that serves beer... the good beer is a few blocks away at Bells, Arcadia, or Shakespeare's). ;)

wmed.jpg

Entrance on the right...

Is the acceptance form at Western the same as other schools? For some reason their wording makes me feel like it is more permenant, but you're just holding a spot correct?

Thanks!

So do you think they are still giving out phone interviews? My experience review was completed 8/11 and nothing but silence since. Is there anyone else in this position? They have sent out pre-phone interview rejections correct?

Is the acceptance form at Western the same as other schools? For some reason their wording makes me feel like it is more permenant, but you're just holding a spot correct?

Thanks!

For med schools across the US, you can hold as many acceptances as you want until the date in May set by the AAMC (the day in May on which you have to let go of your multiple acceptances and hold only a single acceptance at a time). To the best of my knowledge, no US MD schools are excepted from that - including WMed.

Withdrew. Also does anybody else get weird vibes from schools that include "MD" in their names? Frank H Netter MD, Homer Stryker MD, etc. Might be a pet peeve but it just seems so strange...

Withdrew. Also does anybody else get weird vibes from schools that include "MD" in their names? Frank H Netter MD, Homer Stryker MD, etc. Might be a pet peeve but it just seems so strange...

Doctor Stryker is a hometown hero. He and his family have done a lot for this community, including contributing millions to the building of the medical facilities and helping make this school a reality. I think it would be odd to include his name, but not the profession which is such a deep part of his legacy.

I have an old anatomy book by Netter. : O I don't think it's bad to have names of prominent doctors backing schools.
Better than having presidents' names... presidents that have very little to do with the medical professions.

If you've ever worked in or volunteered in a hospital/OR you'd probably see Stryker equipment all over. It's one of the 3 biggest medical appliance companies in the US. So needless to say including Homer Stryker's name and profession makes a lot of sense.

I have an old anatomy book by Netter. : O I don't think it's bad to have names of prominent doctors backing schools.
Better than having presidents' names... presidents that have very little to do with the medical professions.
If you've ever worked in or volunteered in a hospital/OR you'd probably see Stryker equipment all over. It's one of the 3 biggest medical appliance companies in the US. So needless to say including Homer Stryker's name and profession makes a lot of sense.

Exactly. +1+1

Make sure you know what your getting into with WMed's "innovative" curriculum...

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties. If you're worrying about passing step 1, keep in mind you won't be taking it until after 3rd year, at which point you will have acquired a broad range of skills (not just scientific knowledge, which is emphasized on step 1). Combining that knowledge with other skills (such as several that you mention above) allows for an overall better understanding of the material. I haven't seen the data myself, but apparently step 1 scores improve significantly as a result of this methodology. Hang in there and keep studying.

Before you apply to WMed stop and take a long hard look at their "innovative" curriculum. The shear quantity of useless mandatory events will burnout any eager aspiring physician. You are guaranteed at least FOUR HOURS A DAY of absolutely useless content whether it be mandatory medical Spanish, 'Explorations', Active Citizenship, Ethics, Clinical skills, MFR, ACLS, TBL, Introductory clinical experience, Professions of Medicine. True that all of these components have a place in medical education, but devoting on average 20 hours a week to them is absolutely ridiculous. Good luck passing step 1!
Hearing about all of those actually makes me want to g to WMed even more =) I'm assuming (hopefully) that since the curriculum is new, they will be making adjustments in accordance with student feedback if the time commitments are too much.

Before you apply to WMed stop and take a long hard look at their "innovative" curriculum. The shear quantity of useless mandatory events will burnout any eager aspiring physician. You are guaranteed at least FOUR HOURS A DAY of absolutely useless content whether it be mandatory medical Spanish, 'Explorations', Active Citizenship, Ethics, Clinical skills, MFR, ACLS, TBL, Introductory clinical experience, Professions of Medicine. True that all of these components have a place in medical education, but devoting on average 20 hours a week to them is absolutely ridiculous. Good luck passing step 1!

I agree with CurrentWMedStudent, you should take a hard look at the curriculum. This is not the school for you if you look down on things like medical ethics, cultural competency, developing your clinical skills early (instead of being thrown into 3rd year with no support), getting early clinical exposure ("Introductory Clinical Experiences") and being involved in your community. If you're not a team player, this isn't the place for you.

Interestingly, the student government at WMed administers a yearly survey to the entire class to ask about tons of things, including these courses and these issues. Consistently, about 90+% of the class is really satisfied with everything and only a few people are really dissatisfied. That's a real experience for those dissatisfied people - maybe even they weren't a great fit for the school (I can't speak for them). Part of our admissions process weeds that out, but no process is perfect.

Again, I encourage you to take a really close look at WMed's curriculum. I hope those of you who do decide to come here will come because it's the right fit for you.

As always, a number of current students (including myself) read and comment on these forums. Feel free to ask specific questions, even about these issues. I won't dismiss "CurrentWMedStudent"'s real, lived experiences - but I will encourage you to ask yourself whether the things they're experiencing would be a negative for you or a positive.

Hearing about all of those actually makes me want to g to WMed even more =) I'm assuming (hopefully) that since the curriculum is new, they will be making adjustments in accordance with student feedback if the time commitments are too much.

Some pretty massive adjustments have actually been made, including cutting some activities down by half. Additionally, in-person attendance at basic science lectures went from being mandatory to non-mandatory (a majority of students still attend them, but it's nice to have the flexibility some days). I've found the administration to be very responsive to student feedback, but I also see more of it (as a member of the student government).

Last edited: