2015-2016 Western Michigan University Homer Stryker Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Before you apply to WMed stop and take a long hard look at their "innovative" curriculum. The shear quantity of useless mandatory events will burnout any eager aspiring physician. You are guaranteed at least FOUR HOURS A DAY of absolutely useless content whether it be mandatory medical Spanish, 'Explorations', Active Citizenship, Ethics, Clinical skills, MFR, ACLS, TBL, Introductory clinical experience, Professions of Medicine. True that all of these components have a place in medical education, but devoting on average 20 hours a week to them is absolutely ridiculous. Good luck passing step 1!

Investigating the curriculum before you accept an admission to medical school is definitely a great idea. WMed is very upfront about what is involved in their medical education, especially during the first two years.

There's also a fantastic system for providing feedback at WMed. You're always able to complete written course feedback at any time, and you are formally assigned to review weekly events at regular intervals. We also have monthly student and dean's forums where you truly can bring up any topic of discussion. Just in my short time here (I'm an M1), I've seen changes as a result of our feedback.

WMed is very focused on teamwork and it shows amongst my classmates. I can't imagine being happier anywhere else because of all the support I have at this school. It's not without its ripples, but, overall, I'm incredibly happy to attend medical school in this environment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Concerning dress logistics for the interview......... from what I've heard it will be a long day of touring campus and listening to presentations in addition to the interview. How does one adjust to the cold weather when also expected to dress in a suit and heels (girls) for the interview? Should we bring a bag with boots to change into and other warm jackets and layers? Do I carry everything with me? How does this typically go?

(Sorry I'm coming from southern California and am generally unprepared for the cold!!)

Concerning dress logistics for the interview......... from what I've heard it will be a long day of touring campus and listening to presentations in addition to the interview. How does one adjust to the cold weather when also expected to dress in a suit and heels (girls) for the interview? Should we bring a bag with boots to change into and other warm jackets and layers? Do I carry everything with me? How does this typically go?

(Sorry I'm coming from southern California and am generally unprepared for the cold!!)

Once you arrive at the school on interview day, you'll be indoors the entire time. The admissions office has a room where you can safely store any bags/jackets that you bring with you.

You could wear boots and change into heels when you arrive and definitely store your boots in the coat room!

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you arrive at the school on interview day, you'll be indoors the entire time. The admissions office has a room where you can safely store any bags/jackets that you bring with you.

You could wear boots and change into heels when you arrive and definitely store your boots in the coat room!

That's really helpful, thank you! So looking forward to this interview :)

Reactions: 1 user

Where are you staying the night before and how are you getting to WMed? If you're staying at Radissons downtown, you won't need any heavy duty snowboots since they clear the snow very well there. Get here early in warm clothes and change in the bathroom if you want.

Before you apply to WMed stop and take a long hard look at their "innovative" curriculum. The shear quantity of useless mandatory events will burnout any eager aspiring physician. You are guaranteed at least FOUR HOURS A DAY of absolutely useless content whether it be mandatory medical Spanish, 'Explorations', Active Citizenship, Ethics, Clinical skills, MFR, ACLS, TBL, Introductory clinical experience, Professions of Medicine. True that all of these components have a place in medical education, but devoting on average 20 hours a week to them is absolutely ridiculous. Good luck passing step 1!

Someone's salty... didnt pass the last block?

Someone's salty... didnt pass the last block?

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

Last edited:
Still no luck with getting a phone interview--are they done offering those or is there still a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the weather report in Kalamazoo and realized I'm going to need to break out my warm jacket for my interview this weekend! :laugh:

As an Arizona boy, I had to check and make sure that I HAD a warm jacket! ;)

It was a nice balmy 7 degrees F this morning!

(Usually we're more snowy than cold, but there is a crazy arctic weather front pushing down into the upper midwest). A nice warm coat is probably a really good idea :) I think we're supposed to get back into the mid-30s by the end of the week.

Another reason why I hate this school. The small class size fosters a middle school social environment where students form little cliques and start speaking like this idiot.
I thought a small class size would deter the formation of cliques. : O

Anyway, I'm glad to hear some criticism from you about this school, and I'm glad to hear that the school has made some steps to address some concerns. Would you say you feel overwhelmed by the curriculum because you have to do it in addition to the PhD stuff? I'm not sure about the specifics of the MD/PhD route at WMed... but I'm curious.

Try to make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in, whether it's mandatory classes which aren't tailored to your learning style, or immature classmates who haven't learned how to conduct themselves professionally (and I think I can guarantee you'll find a handful in any medical school class).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear some criticism from you about this school, and I'm glad to hear that the school has made some steps to address some concerns. Would you say you feel overwhelmed by the curriculum because you have to do it in addition to the PhD stuff? I'm not sure about the specifics of the MD/PhD route at WMed... but I'm curious.

Cliques are going to form regardless of class size. You're not going to be best friends with everyone. Our small class size, however, are incredible at trying to include everyone and making everyone feel welcomed. For example, after every summative (our name for finals) Fridays, someone opens up his house that night for us to party at. People are going on an open invite skiing trip this 3-day weekend up North, many are playing in a local soccer league, 1st years just had a secret santa for their whole class.

There is no lack of opportunity to hangout and get to know everyone. It's up to you whether you want to be alone.

Another reason why I hate this school. The small class size fosters a middle school social environment where students form little cliques and start speaking like this idiot.

You must be that one person in M2 who consistently bash on the school with unfounded criticisms in anonymous surveys while never actually giving any constructive feedback on how to change things. You tell me whether the school's atmosphere is the problem or your own personality is?

MD/PhD students don't do additional PhD stuff during preclinicals (this happens during your PhD years at Van Andel or at WMU) and course load is just as heavy as everyone else. Unless you chose to start doing research on your own, which many MD only route students are already doing anyways. You determine how much workload you can handle.

Look, here's the thing: Is the curriculum perfect? No. But is the administration and student council willing to change and improve? Absolutely. This school has an innovative curriculum and yes, we do have a good amount of things other than just science for your first two years, but I've had a great experience in our Professions of Medicine. (Which is most everything non-science that we have).

Heaven forbid we are prepared for our clinical years with some ethics and clinical education.

Regarding the small class size: I know that I can only speak for the class of 2019, but our class is very diverse, but at the same time we are all at least decent to good friends.

(And this is coming from a non-traditional student with a family)

I could continue to talk about this but I feel like @tellme_areyoufree and @BertMacklin have also covered this at length :)

If you have any other questions let me know!

Reactions: 2 users
Meet me at the flagpole at 3:45 and we'll settle this playground style.

Reactions: 4 users
No matter what you do in life, there will be adults who don't understand the outcomes of their actions.

Cliques are going to form regardless of class size. You're not going to be best friends with everyone. Our small class size, however, are incredible at trying to include everyone and making everyone feel welcomed. For example, after every summative (our name for finals) Fridays, someone opens up his house that night for us to party at. People are going on an open invite skiing trip this 3-day weekend up North, many are playing in a local soccer league, 1st years just had a secret santa for their whole class.

There is no lack of opportunity to hangout and get to know everyone. It's up to you whether you want to be alone.

You must be that one person in M2 who consistently bash on the school with unfounded criticisms in anonymous surveys while never actually giving any constructive feedback on how to change things. You tell me whether the school's atmosphere is the problem or your own personality is?

I realize this will sounds strange, but hey - that person can say and think whatever they want. That's their real lived experience, even if the rest of us find it ridiculous. It's just as valid as yours or mine.

That said, I'll repeat what I said before: this person has expressed that they're dissatisfied with the small class size, the curriculum that provides early clinical experience/exposure, and topics like medical ethics/etc being addressed alongside the sciences. If that sounds awful to you, you probably aren't a good fit for the school, "CurrentWMedStudent" is right about that. If however you're like me... and bertmaklin... and bbroush... and justanotherbronco... and kohlmanjr... and the scores of other students who love the school because of these things, then you wanna come here.

Choose wisely! :)

(As always - feel free to ask questions. Every student at WMed is invited to answer with their beliefs, even the minority who feel unhappy. The only thing I'll add about those unhappy... "if everywhere you go it smells like ****, you should check your own shoes.")

Last edited:
I realize this will sounds strange, but hey - that person can say and think whatever they want. That's their real lived experience, even if the rest of us find it ridiculous. It's just as valid as yours or mine.

That said, I'll repeat what I said before: this person has expressed that they're dissatisfied with the small class size, the curriculum that provides early clinical experience/exposure, and topics like medical ethics/etc being addressed alongside the sciences. If that sounds awful to you, you probably aren't a good fit for the school, "CurrentWMedStudent" is right about that. If however you're like me... and bertmaklin... and bbroush... and justanotherbronco... and kohlmanjr... and the scores of other students who love the school because of these things, then you wanna come here.

Choose wisely! :)

(As always - feel free to ask questions. Every student at WMed is invited to answer with their beliefs, even the minority who feel unhappy. The only thing I'll add about those unhappy... "if everywhere you go it smells like ****, you should check your own shoes.")

I do realize that med school exams are daunting; the amount of material we have to learn, understand, and memorize is expansive. Do you ever feel that the things discussed distract you from just passing that exam or learning the hard science? I.E. Do you ever wish you didn't have to go to the ethics class, so you could finish memorizing that disease state that's going to be on the weekly assessment?

To me, I learn better when the "why" is answered along side the "what". It would seem to me that all the extra things WMed offers gives a better and deeper understanding of medicine. Yet, I haven't been in med school yet...

I do realize that med school exams are daunting; the amount of material we have to learn, understand, and memorize is expansive. Do you ever feel that the things discussed distract you from just passing that exam or learning the hard science? I.E. Do you ever wish you didn't have to go to the ethics class, so you could finish memorizing that disease state that's going to be on the weekly assessment?

To me, I learn better when the "why" is answered along side the "what". It would seem to me that all the extra things WMed offers gives a better and deeper understanding of medicine. Yet, I haven't been in med school yet...

In the moment, I've definitely had a thought like "holy crap why am I doing this I need to go learn about neuroendocrine tumors aghhhh!" But, I feel like that's a bit short sighted.

Let me tell you a story. One of our early clinical experiences has us in the hospitals actually seeing patients and interviewing them for an in-depth history. I saw a patient who was in bad shape, and spent 3 hours with them. Through the history and the (admittedly clumsy) exam, I ended up coming to the correct diagnosis for a pretty rare condition. The attending had gotten there hours earlier with the labs, but I actually applied what I had learned.

I started that day at the hospital thinking "holy crap why am I here I'm so tired I need to study I shouldn't be here aggghhhh." I was being short-sighted. At the end of that day, after the attending complimented me on both my excellent history-taking skills and my arrival at the correct diagnosis (or rather including it in my differential - the labs would have made it clear at that point) - at the end of that day, I felt awesome. I really did. I went home and I studied so much harder and so much better than I would have if I were just grinding through.

To me, the "extra" stuff isn't extra. Yeah it makes managing time harder and yeah it can put on some more pressure... but it also makes you feel like you're doing more than putting your nose in a book for 16 hours a day.

Speaking personally, that feeling - that I'm actually learning how to be a doctor (not just how to take a test) - that feeling gives me what I need to get through.

:) But I'll still complain about it while it's happening, haha :)

Reactions: 5 users
My thoughts on those extra experiences?

I'm studying at my kitchen table right now at 9:30 on a Tuesday night. I had lectures this morning from about 8 to 12. One of those lectures (as part of our ethics/"extra" course) was incredibly powerful; this person shared with us their first-hand experience of being diagnosed with terminal cancer, including many intimate and personal details about their life and how this diagnosis has impacted them. It really put into perspective everything we had just discussed via PowerPoint about having a role in those tough situations for our patients and their families.

An hour after that lecture ended, I went to the local ambulance "headquarters," was connected with a crew who I would ride-along with for the afternoon, and had a blast responding to calls during the snow storm. I actually ended up staying two hours "late" because of our last call, but that's another story that I won't divulge over the internet. And a bonus? The medical first responder training I received during the first few months of school at WMed came in handy today.

All said and done, I don't care that I'm studying right now.

This is what I signed up for. This is what I want to do.

Reactions: 6 users
Joining the bunch! :hello:

Wondering if folks with Nov/Dec phone interview complete dates have heard any news?

Portal: Experiences reviewed 8/30..:whistle:

.. WMU sends out pre-II rejections correct? I haven't heard a peep from them all cycle, is no news still good news at this point? Thanks y'all!

I just noticed that the people who received the last batch of campus IIs all seemed to have done their phone interviews in late September, within a few days of each other. Was this just a coincidence, or does WMed tend to review applications in order of phone interview completion date?

In that case, it may be a while until they get to me :unsure: Excuse me while I refresh my status page one more time...

I just noticed that the people who received the last batch of campus IIs all seemed to have done their phone interviews in late September, within a few days of each other. Was this just a coincidence, or does WMed tend to review applications in order of phone interview completion date?

In that case, it may be a while until they get to me :unsure: Excuse me while I refresh my status page one more time...

Always a good idea to look back at last year's forum, see what the trends were for the last application cycle. :)

Any estimates on the time it takes for a phone interview response?
I had a telephone interview back in early November, three months with no answer seems like a while...

Any estimates on the time it takes for a phone interview response?
I had a telephone interview back in early November, three months with no answer seems like a while...
It was a week for me, but a couple months for others. It's pretty random. : /

Yeah, for me it was five days, but by the looks of the forum that was quite lucky! Keep the faith Tantalum!

More often than not.

Last edited:
The small class size coupled with the frantic fear of not gaining accreditation turns students into a self-policing gestapo
There is no frantic fear of not gaining accreditation. No one I know personally has ever felt this, and the school CONSTANTLY updates us on the accreditation process, and how we are on an accelerated timeline for it.

Anybody who is insane enough to express their concerns about the school is immediately ostracized and shamed.

People who share their views are not branded as insane or ostracized. At least in the M1 class I've never experienced or seen ANY ostracizing or shaming.
We also have many opposing views on topics.

No one dare speak up for fear of being an outcast and for fear of being suspended.
Not a thing. In our student forums (held bi-weekly?) we have no problem airing our grievances.

Not only that but the faculty LISTENS and responses amiably, and many changes have come from those meetings.

There is a lot that this school is doing right, and I applaud them for what they have done as a new school.

I'm glad you're still positive about the school doing things right, because I agree with you, that as a new school they are doing many things right.

The social atmosphere though is suffocating and it is perpetuated by an overly-entitled student body that refers to themselves as "pioneers".

I'm sorry you find the social atmosphere suffocating. I know that having learning communities and groups for most activities it can be hard, but I don't think the people I've met are overly-entitled, and that most people are just happy to be here!

I know that for me I worked hard to get here, and that I'm thrilled to be at a school that is working so hard to make us the best physicians possible, and has incredible clinical and ethical exposure for us right from the beginning. I love WMed even with all its flaws and growing pains, and I hope everyone else here feels like it's an environment that is accepting of people from different backgrounds with different opinions.

For those applying, I just want to reiterate what @BertMacklin said.

This is what I signed up for. This is what I want to do.

Good luck to everyone! Have a good weekend!

As a current WMed student, I'm going to have to completely agree. I had to make an account on SDN just to expose the truth and avoid any future applicants from falling into this trap.
Yes, they use all of these extra preclinical activities as a selling point, but the truth is it greatly takes away from learning basic sciences, which should be the absolute priority during the first 2 years. Sure, these things may make you a better doctor, but it won't matter if you can't pass step 1.

Don't even get me started on "Team Based Learning." It sounds like a great idea theoretically, but you literally learn half the material in twice the time.

This place is a $50k a year daycare run by the mormon church. We are treated like children with admin constantly tracking and observing our "professionalism" for which there is a double standard. Top students can get away with murder, while struggling students are reprimanded for so much as sneezing.

I disagree with the student body being welcoming. They are open and welcoming if you are in their clique. In fact, I have a hard time trusting anyone at this school. People constantly report each other, and sometimes even make up completely false claims to throw other students under the bus. These "frienemies" may just be a cut throat med student phenomenon not particular to WMed.

They will sell the place to you like used car salesmen. The students who give tours are hand picked; they do not represent the student body very well. If you really want a real picture of the school, go outside the tour and interact with students that aren't tour guides. That goes for any institution you are considering.

I'm not saying the issues are all WMed's fault. You should definitely align your values with the school you decide to attend. My ideals and WMed's are not the same, and it's safe to say attending WMed may very well be my life's one and only regret. Looking back, I had many other options, any of which would have been a better choice. I fell for their salesmanship, and in the end, it was my fault for making the wrong choice, and not WMed.

Choose very wisely.

TLDR (from what I can see):
Make sure to actually read their website on how the curriculum works before deciding to attend. Gotta know if you can handle the workload.
Not everyone gets along with everyone.

But these apply to just about any school though...

Edit:
I understand during the interview that they view their medical students as their "products" and want the students to best represent their school by doing well. One concern I have is whether WMed has a good system for helping people who fall through the cracks somewhere down the line. Students can't always help each other out (as people have mentioned exclusion cliques). So I'm wondering if there's like a mentor/tutor working at the school or something.

And seriously, what's with all this drama going on... I need details.

Last edited:
As a current WMed student, I'm going to have to completely agree. I had to make an account on SDN just to expose the truth and avoid any future applicants from falling into this trap.
Yes, they use all of these extra preclinical activities as a selling point, but the truth is it greatly takes away from learning basic sciences, which should be the absolute priority during the first 2 years. Sure, these things may make you a better doctor, but it won't matter if you can't pass step 1.

Don't even get me started on "Team Based Learning." It sounds like a great idea theoretically, but you literally learn half the material in twice the time.

This place is a $50k a year daycare run by the mormon church. We are treated like children with admin constantly tracking and observing our "professionalism" for which there is a double standard. Top students can get away with murder, while struggling students are reprimanded for so much as sneezing.

I disagree with the student body being welcoming. They are open and welcoming if you are in their clique. In fact, I have a hard time trusting anyone at this school. People constantly report each other, and sometimes even make up completely false claims to throw other students under the bus. These "frienemies" may just be a cut throat med student phenomenon not particular to WMed.

They will sell the place to you like used car salesmen. The students who give tours are hand picked; they do not represent the student body very well. If you really want a real picture of the school, go outside the tour and interact with students that aren't tour guides. That goes for any institution you are considering.

I'm not saying the issues are all WMed's fault. You should definitely align your values with the school you decide to attend. My ideals and WMed's are not the same, and it's safe to say attending WMed may very well be my life's one and only regret. Looking back, I had many other options, any of which would have been a better choice. I fell for their salesmanship, and in the end, it was my fault for making the wrong choice, and not WMed.

Choose very wisely.

Making the two accounts to support yourself is a brilliant strategy

To everyone else uncertain about the atmosphere among students at WMed, checkout the following sections of a Facebook post in the M1 class group after the first summative exam.

#fam

If you have detailed questions, message me and we can talk

(De-identified, of course (for y'all M1s, #tbt #actuallyathursday #deansforum #nbme)

upload_2016-1-16_1-4-24.png
upload_2016-1-16_1-7-43.png

Reactions: 4 users
To everyone else uncertain about the atmosphere among students at WMed, checkout the following sections of a Facebook post in the M1 class group after the first summative exam.

#fam

If you have detailed questions, message me and we can talk

(De-identified, of course (for y'all M1s, #tbt #actuallyathursday #deansforum #nbme)

View attachment 199622View attachment 199623
Two accounts? This is my first and only account on this site, but I'm glad there are others that have similar views about this school. I just felt so strongly that I had to share my own experience.

As for the facebook posts... why are you using hashtags in a forum? #WhataTool. The M2 class felt like a family at first too... until you realize it's just a front. Everyone is just out for themselves and will throw you under the bus as soon as they get the chance. You won't realize it until it happens to you. But again... it seems to be a universal medical student phenomenon. Gunners are everywhere.. not just WMed.

Choose very wisely.

I'm very sad that whoever you are, you feel the need to act like this.

Re tours - about 70% of students participate in tours, on a volunteer basis. Not sure if you can call a majority of the students volunteering "hand picking."

I think another student posted a great screencap from the Facebook group, so I don't feel the need to respond to the claim that the student body isn't welcoming.

I have *never* heard of students reporting each other (over what exactly??).

I feel deeply saddened that you feel this way. I'm also deeply saddened that you tried to ascribe something negative to the fact that our Dean is Mormon (as a Jew, that sounds uncomfortably close to vague hate speech used against Jews). All of this exchange saddens me.

StoodintDoktor - you are probably aware of who I am in person. As your student body president I hope you know that I have repeatedly put the wellbeing of my fellow students before my own. If you really are this deeply unhappy and hurting enough to lash out like this, I hope (truly) that you will consider talking privately with me about these issues so that we can work together to find some solutions.

Reactions: 2 users
TLDR (from what I can see):
Make sure to actually read their website on how the curriculum works before deciding to attend. Gotta know if you can handle the workload.
Not everyone gets along with everyone.

But these apply to just about any school though...

Edit:
I understand during the interview that they view their medical students as their "products" and want the students to best represent their school by doing well. One concern I have is whether WMed has a good system for helping people who fall through the cracks somewhere down the line. Students can't always help each other out (as people have mentioned exclusion cliques). So I'm wondering if there's like a mentor/tutor working at the school or something.

And seriously, what's with all this drama going on... I need details.

I also know I should stop responding, but it makes me upset to see this person making false claims (like student tours being a sales job - they're volunteers and I think it's about 70% of the student body has volunteered to give tours).

I wish I understood this drama, myself. It makes me very sad, and personally (in my role as head of the student government) ashamed that I haven't been able to see how upset this person obviously is, and help them.

Reactions: 3 users

Choose very wisely.

Can't wait until you get blocked. As a Mormon I find what you're saying offensive. someone's religion has nothing to do with them as a dean or the way the school operates.

Last edited:
From my understanding, the inaugural class just has it rougher than the rest simply because:
1) They're the first to test out all the kinks in the system, which means they may get the blunt end of the improving curriculum
2) They're going to be the first to ship out to residencies to represent the school, which means more pressure from the school to perform absolutely well (speculation).
3) Then don't have experienced upperclassmen to lead them through the system.

And I imagine M1s having similar issues simply because they're still improving the curriculum. I also think this will be an issue with many other schools transitioning to curriculum 2.0.

If I had the chance to attend, I think it's great to have not only really supportive upperclassmen, (@Bbroush, @tellme_areyoufree) who are making it easier for the rest of us by voicing their opinions, but also the chance to learn how some people (@StoodentDokter and @CurrentWMedStudent) coped with issues about the system and some undesirable members of the student body. Looking forward to meeting all you guys in the future... possibly. : )

Last edited:
So, uh, how 'bout this weather we're having? Eh?

Reactions: 6 users