2015-2016 Wright State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students talk about the curriculum a little bit? Like how much time is spent doing group stuff (TBL, Peer instruction...) ? How much of the stuff is mandatory? I guess I'm trying to get an idea of what a typical schedule is like? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students talk about the curriculum a little bit? Like how much time is spent doing group stuff (TBL, Peer instruction...) ? How much of the stuff is mandatory? I guess I'm trying to get an idea of what a typical schedule is like? Thanks!

We are only 2 classes in, but I'll tell you what I know.

Anatomy
TBL: I think we had 7 TBLs for the 9 weeks of anatomy. TBL was worth 25% of our grade and was mandatory.
Peer Instruction: after each day of dissection, we had an hour of peer instruction to show everyone else what we found. You didn't really have to attend other than every third day, which was the day you dissected.

MBM (biochem)
TBL: 6 TBLs, mandatory
Peer Instruction: looks like we have 6 of those as well.
I've heard you can skip out of peer instruction. You would lose some points, but it's not really worth a lot.

We are only 2 classes in, but I'll tell you what I know.

Anatomy
TBL: I think we had 7 TBLs for the 9 weeks of anatomy. TBL was worth 25% of our grade and was mandatory.
Peer Instruction: after each day of dissection, we had an hour of peer instruction to show everyone else what we found. You didn't really have to attend other than every third day, which was the day you dissected.

MBM (biochem)
TBL: 6 TBLs, mandatory
Peer Instruction: looks like we have 6 of those as well.
I've heard you can skip out of peer instruction. You would lose some points, but it's not really worth a lot.
Thanks for the info! It's hard to get a real concept of the curriculum just from a school's website. So the TBLs don't replace lecture? They're additional correct?

to piggyback on what my classmate said
- The big classes human structure (anatomy and embryology), Molecular basis of medicine, CaTOS (histology and tissues) and Principles of disease (medical micro). In between these big classes are Patient, Physician, and Society ( first two weeks of class then Wednesdays from 1-4pm after anatomy) and Intro to clinical medicine (Friday mornings year round.) Both PP&S and ICM are mandatory

- Every class will break down TBL's differently but they are about 25% of your grade per class give or take. The structures of the class are completely different. Human Structure lectures are all online and available 24/7 to watch whenever (and on whatever speed) you want to. The only mandatory events are TBL and Dissection during anatomy. Most of your time will be spent studying because there is a ton of info thrown at you. TBL are an individual quiz over an assigned number of lectures and then a group quiz followed by real cases and imaging. They are about 3 hours long and spread out about once or twice a week (we had 12 of them.) I personally liked them as they kept me on top of my info and served as a gauge for how well I knew everything. There are review sessions scattered throughout days before TBL quizzes and exams. TBL are done in groups of eight that you are assigned to and remain with for the year. Dissection is from 12-3 everyday however only 2 of the group of 6 attend, then the other members come in for peer instruction as stated earlier. The labs are open 24/7 for studying.

- MBM is quite different. There are live lectures M-Th from about 9-11 and sometimes online lectures depending on what professor is teaching. The TBL's are over scientific articles on important disorders relevant to the topic in lecture but are still an individual quiz followed by a group quiz and case study.The peer instruction are usually during the 9-11 morning hours with lecture and are pretty much an open forum where professors ask questions and we solve them as small groups.

Reactions: 1 users
to piggyback on what my classmate said
- The big classes human structure (anatomy and embryology), Molecular basis of medicine, CaTOS (histology and tissues) and Principles of disease (medical micro). In between these big classes are Patient, Physician, and Society ( first two weeks of class then Wednesdays from 1-4pm after anatomy) and Intro to clinical medicine (Friday mornings year round.) Both PP&S and ICM are mandatory

- Every class will break down TBL's differently but they are about 25% of your grade per class give or take. The structures of the class are completely different. Human Structure lectures are all online and available 24/7 to watch whenever (and on whatever speed) you want to. The only mandatory events are TBL and Dissection during anatomy. Most of your time will be spent studying because there is a ton of info thrown at you. TBL are an individual quiz over an assigned number of lectures and then a group quiz followed by real cases and imaging. They are about 3 hours long and spread out about once or twice a week (we had 12 of them.) I personally liked them as they kept me on top of my info and served as a gauge for how well I knew everything. There are review sessions scattered throughout days before TBL quizzes and exams. TBL are done in groups of eight that you are assigned to and remain with for the year. Dissection is from 12-3 everyday however only 2 of the group of 6 attend, then the other members come in for peer instruction as stated earlier. The labs are open 24/7 for studying.

- MBM is quite different. There are live lectures M-Th from about 9-11 and sometimes online lectures depending on what professor is teaching. The TBL's are over scientific articles on important disorders relevant to the topic in lecture but are still an individual quiz followed by a group quiz and case study.The peer instruction are usually during the 9-11 morning hours with lecture and are pretty much an open forum where professors ask questions and we solve them as small groups.
Thanks I appreciate the detailed response!

Has anyone been accepted/waitlisted/rejected lately?

Has anyone been accepted/waitlisted/rejected lately?
Waitlisted on 10/31 from an interview late September. Kind of a bummer cause I really loved the place and people. Had a fantastic student and faculty interview. Only thing I can think of is that my application was pretty research heavy and I'm from a large research school. Community service and volunteering might be valued more at a place like Wright State (which I had, just not as much as other activities). Fingers crossed for the rest of you guys! Boonshoft really was a cool place!

@DrHart Remember that there is some good wait list movement at WSU (at least last year)!

10/27 interview should find out roughly Nov 19th, right? I think they said 3 weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
10/27 interview should find out roughly Nov 19th, right? I think they said 3 weeks!

I'm at 3.5 weeks and nothing yet so I wouldn't count on exactly three weeks. I think they told us up to 6

I interviewed mid-late Sep and didn't hear back for ~4 weeks. I know from last years thread it can take 4-6 weeks.

Waitlisted, interviewed 10/14

Not sure if people were still keeping up with II's, but I just received one today and was complete July 20th! IS.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Joining the thread and crossing my fingers for an II (OOS) :) I have been complete since the end of July, is there anyway we can find out what our current status is?

Same here, I'm wondering about that as well.

Does it reflect badly on you if you call and ask the admissions office about your status? I know they're sifting through a lot of applications and probably get panicked calls every day, so I just don't want to be appear as another neurotic, panicking pre-med!! But I'd love to know the status of my application since I've been complete since July 30th.

Ned - I, too, am curious who you are :) No, I am not K.F. - I'm much less outgoing than she is so chances are you probably don't even know me! Which brings me to another "disadvantage" of UMich - the class size - it's 170, one of the bigger schools in the country. I know pretty much everyone in the class by name and face at the very least, but I've been told that there have been classes where at graduation, you meet people you never even knew were in your class :)

I guess one other gripe I have is that our curriculum, especially the ITTP course, is under review and they will implement a new curriculum in Fall 2002. Most of the changes will be to ITTP (Introduction to the Patient), I suspect, since the rest of the curriculum seems to be doing just fine in producing knowledgable grads. This year, our class served as guinea pigs for several experiments in ITTP, some good, some not. Tuesdays and Thursdays afternoons are usually reserved for some ITTP activity, but we end up having most of those days off because only a portion of the class does the activity on any given day (Monday/Wed afternoons are reserved for anatomy/histo labs, Friday afternoons are free except for the ocassional Multidisciplinary Conference, which I feel is another area we need to work on). But other than these relatively minor complaints, I am very happy with my choice to come here - I was choosing between UMich and another school that did mainly PBL, and am glad I chose a traditional curriculum.
do they do silent rejections?
Complete for 4 months and not a word...IS too
Hey guys, I was complete last year and didn't hear back until around now. Some schools I applied to I didn't interview at until February and I also applied in July. I've been in your position so I know how hard it is but I would keep the faith until the end of the cycle. They are going through over 4000 applicants and counting so it takes some time. Good luck

Does it reflect badly on you if you call and ask the admissions office about your status? I know they're sifting through a lot of applications and probably get panicked calls every day, so I just don't want to be appear as another neurotic, panicking pre-med!! But I'd love to know the status of my application since I've been complete since July 30th.

If you all completed a secondary application you would have received an email that told you your application was complete. Your status will not change unless invited for an interview. This means you are still in review and no final decision has been made. We do not do silent rejections. Those that did not get a secondary due to low MCAT and GPA were sent notice in early November. Those of you that do not end up being invited for an interview will receive email notice as soon as possible in late February or March. We do not have a specific date for the last invites that will go out or for the last day of interviews.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Debbie

Reactions: 3 users
If you all completed a secondary application you would have received an email that told you your application was complete. Your status will not change unless invited for an interview. This means you are still in review and no final decision has been made. We do not do silent rejections. Those that did not get a secondary due to low MCAT and GPA were sent notice in early November. Those of you that do not end up being invited for an interview will receive email notice as soon as possible in late February or March. We do not have a specific date for the last invites that will go out or for the last day of interviews.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Debbie

Thank you for your response; I greatly appreciate it since I know each admissions office does things differently and some schools have a portal where you can directly check your status. I will continue to wait patiently for a response from Wright State! Thanks again.

I think they said 10/27 decisions would be made today and posted within the week!! Eeeek ! So excited!!

ACCEPTED!!!! Yayyy!!! Interviewed 10/27!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone aware of when the next batch of interviews may be sent out?

Is there a FB group for class of 2020?

I just searched for it; I don't think one exists yet. Faculty will get one going eventually, and you will probably receive an email telling you how to join.

Is there a FB group for class of 2020?

Yes there is a Facebook Group for Boonshoft School of Medicine Class of 2020. If you can't find it email me and I will invite you.

Debbie

I interviewed 10/21 and have not heard back. I inquired and was told I would hear my decision later this week or early next week via snail mail, but that I had purposely not been sent an e-mail.
Maybe that means I haven't been sent an e-mail YET, or I'm not getting one at all. I can't imagine why I haven't heard as a 10/21 interviewee when 10/27 interviewees have already heard back. Hopefully it just means an e-mail will come in later to more closely correspond with the letter I receive.

Does this mean rejection? What do you all think? For some reason I thought you would get an e-mail either way, but if someone remembers them saying rejections only come in the mail, let me know.

Last edited:
@fijimermaid I interviewed late September and was told during my interview that we would all hear back on Oct. 15th. When I heard nothing on the 15th I was sure I was getting a snail mail rejection/waitlist. The following week I received an email stating I was accepted!!

The moral of this story is that this process is very fluid and there are a lot of moving parts that come into play. If your interviewers are unable to make a big committee meeting (where the decision is made) then they might postpone your decision until you can be presented. Or perhaps several committee members are unable to meet on a day thus the whole committee meeting gets re-arranged. These are just a few scenarios, I am sure that with the holidays rolling around these challenges come up more frequently

Hang in there, @macdeb59 and her office are workings as had as they can!

Also @fijimermaid , as discussed from @macdeb59 a few pages ago in this thread.

If accepted you will receive and email that states your acceptance and information about a packet arriving.

If waitlisted or rejected you will receive an letter in the mail. No email.

@fijimermaid I interviewed late September and was told during my interview that we would all hear back on Oct. 15th. When I heard nothing on the 15th I was sure I was getting a snail mail rejection/waitlist. The following week I received an email stating I was accepted!!

The moral of this story is that this process is very fluid and there are a lot of moving parts that come into play. If your interviewers are unable to make a big committee meeting (where the decision is made) then they might postpone your decision until you can be presented. Or perhaps several committee members are unable to meet on a day thus the whole committee meeting gets re-arranged. These are just a few scenarios, I am sure that with the holidays rolling around these challenges come up more frequently

Hang in there, @macdeb59 and her office are workings as had as they can!
Thank you! This gives me a glimmer of hope :)

Anyone get an II this week? Curious with the short holiday week if invitations are pushed back to December (hopefully more II's to be sent out).

A few questions that I didn't think to ask during my interview, but was hoping that maybe someone else was wise enough to ask, or if a current student knows, it would be very helpful and much appreciated :)

1. Are exams given as block exams (all at once every few months), or continuously over the course of a semester on a weekly basis?

2. Do - or can - instructors give pop quizzes?

3. Are written and/or practical exams cumulative? If so, in which classes are they cumulative?

4. What percentage of the lecturers are guest lecturers vs. on the staff?

5. What percentage of the lecturers are PhDs, and what percentage are physicians?

Thank you!!