2016-2017 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected. Complete early/mid Aug. Below average GPA, above average MCAT. More traditional applicant. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed - it really is random and each school just has specific things they are looking for in a huge pool of really qualified applicants. Congrats on the interview! Hopefully more come your way!
Thank you! I wish you all the best too! :)

Yea, totally random. One thing I've learned though is that the best thing you can do is make sure your application has no holes, anywhere. Have a solid story, good essays, academic metrics, ECs (both clinical and nonclinical), research, EVERYTHING. And while my overall mcat score is good and my advisor told me not to retake, my psych score is low. and even though the psych section has no predictive value, I think it's a way for schools to compare us.

Ok, clearly reapplying has taken it's toll on me haha. I'm done ranting now.

Honestly, this application process is so random, it's near impossible to make sense out of it. I am a reapplicant, and I interviewed at Dartmouth this year. Haven't heard back yet, but my MCAT score is similar to yours, a tad bit lower in some sections, and I have a 125 in psych as well. Lower uGPA, but an above average SMP GPA from a top school. And I think my ECs are above average to okay. Dartmouth is a reach for me, yet somehow I got an interview here, but other than that, silence and a handful of rejections everywhere else. GPA is out of my control now too, but I'll be joining you in preparing for an MCAT retake as a precaution.
Ill just share a bit of my story and maybe that will make things make sense for anyone following along. Applied last year with 3.9 GPA + 30 on old MCAT, 15 schools, nada for interviews. Am in gap year now with AmeriCorps and retook my MCAT (511) and now 6 IIs. Moral of the story... save your money and do a gap year

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think so? I'm honestly curious... there are very few spots for an abundance of qualified candidates... I think the unfortunate fact is that every good school has to turn away perfectly capable and qualified candidates. And I think those decisions are made based on probably very small nuances in an application, the way the candidate presents him or herself and if it is in line with the "mission" of the school. They're blinded to factors like legacy... as far as II's go, I think it's probably pretty equitable, it's just that there are so many qualified people and so few spots that decisions come down to very small things... just curious to hear your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Why do you think theres a spot on most secondaries asking about alums and parents that work in their system... good way to build the system but still leaves underserved and URM populations out in the cold...

Why do you think theres a spot on most secondaries asking about alums and parents that work in their system... good way to build the system but still leaves underserved and URM populations out in the cold...

For that very reason, though, for a med school to get proper accreditation admissions committees must be blinded to legacy. The people making decisions about interview invitations, by the laws of accreditation, don't know if you had family that went to school. Now, in interview, obviously that changes because there's nothing stopping a candidate from talking about a family connection. If you're just talking about getting to the II, though... legacy isn't a factor. The legacy field on secondary applications is just for the admissions office and does not get transmitted to members of the actual committee that are reviewing applications - thanks to accreditation bylaws.

Interviewed on 10/27. Really liked the school and the people there and the other candidates I interviewed with. Overall good experience.

One bonus was that Dino from financial aid gave the best financial aid presentation I have ever been apart of.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate your sentiments, but 4 rejections and no interviews is not too promising. Just have to hope for the best!

Dude I just got my first II after NINE rejections. You sir are sitting pretty, don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
II! Didn't expect one from them. Now how the hell do I get to Hanover?

Reactions: 3 users
II! Didn't expect one from them. Now how the hell do I get to Hanover?

Fly into Logan International Airport and take the Dartmouth Coach (~$40 one-way).

Edit: Congratulations on the Interview Invite!

Last edited:
II just now!!! I don't know if I'm going to be able to go though... I can't find any way to get there for a reasonable amount of money :(

II just now!!! I don't know if I'm going to be able to go though... I can't find any way to get there for a reasonable amount of money :(
congrats about the II. hope you can find an affordable way to make it. when was your complete date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fly into Logan International Airport and take the Dartmouth Coach (~$40 one-way).

Edit: Congratulations on the Interview Invite!
Thanks! That's really helpful. Whatever keeps me out of a cessna works.

For that very reason, though, for a med school to get proper accreditation admissions committees must be blinded to legacy. The people making decisions about interview invitations, by the laws of accreditation, don't know if you had family that went to school. Now, in interview, obviously that changes because there's nothing stopping a candidate from talking about a family connection. If you're just talking about getting to the II, though... legacy isn't a factor. The legacy field on secondary applications is just for the admissions office and does not get transmitted to members of the actual committee that are reviewing applications - thanks to accreditation bylaws.

Was not aware of this, thanks for educating me. From what I have heard from friends in medical school, it seems to be an insiders club for the most part. Anecdotal though

Interview! Complete early-mid July. LizzyM around 70.

Has anyone called and asked if it's possible to interview later than the dates offered? I have a packed 2 weeks plus I like to give work a little more notice than that.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the II :)

Mind letting us know what dates they're filling now?

So no news is good news right now, given all the recent rejections? I submitted mid-Sept so I know they may not have gotten to my app yet, I'm getting nervous...

So no news is good news right now, given all the recent rejections? I submitted mid-Sept so I know they may not have gotten to my app yet, I'm getting nervous...

I think I've seen 1 early August complete date II ... and apparently there were interview spots in November available. I think they're moving slowly.

I think I've seen 1 early August complete date II ... and apparently there were interview spots in November available. I think they're moving slowly.

Out of left field: your username would be excellent for roller derby. Just saying...

+2 Complete 7/7 -- really want this one!!!!

Figured out a way to pay for my trip with my reward points!!! Dartmouth here I come!:love:

Also... DONT GIVE UP HOPE GUYS!!! I was complete very very early July and I just now heard back! We got this!

Reactions: 8 users
Out of curiosity, has anyone been rejected post-interview?

Hey what's the interview like here? For some reason I have this idea that it is very intense...

Was complete 8/26 here... just checkin in.
At the current rate, I am expecting a rejection in the Best Buy line at 7AM on Black Friday.

Reactions: 5 users
Was complete 8/26 here... just checkin in.
At the current rate, I am expecting a rejection in the Best Buy line at 7AM on Black Friday.

Roughly same complete date - no word here either.

Hey what's the interview like here? For some reason I have this idea that it is very intense...

From my experience, it was not intense at all. I interviewed here on 11/1 and the interviews were relaxed and conversational.

As I remember:
Two 1-on-1, 30-45 min interviews, all in the afternoon. There are student and faculty interviewers. Interviews may be in the admissions offices or in adjacent buildings (not a long walk).
Interviewers may opt to only look at EC/PS before interview and your metrics later.
You have the opportunity to look at the interviewer's CV before the interview during lunch break (highly recommended!).

Anecdotally:
Both of my interviewers were warm, effusive, non-adversarial, and had thoroughly read my application before talking to me. They asked in-depth about my ECs. Talked about what I wanted to pursue in medicine. Two fellow interviewees were asked medico-ethical questions (the classic 80 year old versus 20 year old addict transplant one).

Rejected today! Was complete really early june. ah well. Gooooooooood luck everyone

Rejected today! Was complete really early june. ah well. Gooooooooood luck everyone
Sorry to hear.
Stay positive.
Good luck with the rest of the cycle.
Getting scared waiting for my faith:scared:.

Looks like we are in another bloodbath of rejections from many schools these next two weeks.

Not intense at all! Both of my interviewers were lovely and non-intimidating. Very conversational and just wanted to get to know me.

I had one relatively intense interview (student) and another interview that was laid back (faculty). I was prepared for the intense interview and felt that I did not buckle under pressure.

I had one relatively intense interview (student) and another interview that was laid back (faculty). I was prepared for the intense interview and felt that I did not buckle under pressure.

can you elaborate on what made it intense? and how you prepared for it?

Thoughts on that ethical dilemma?

You can approach it from multiple POVs: moral, utilitarian, justice, etc.
You can't go wrong with seeking notional help from the notional transplant board, counsel, mentor, etc.
You can go wrong by skirting the issue and not answering the question.

I've also heard about curveball questions after you give your initial response:
A) You'd give it to the addict? *Incredulous laugh* Did you know [insert relapse statistic]? He'll just ruin the organ anyway!
B) You'd give it to the 80-year old? *Incredulous laugh* He lived a long and full life! The addict, despite his history of drug use, has to support his wife and child!

TLDR: There is no wrong answer, but there are incorrect responses. Give a measured circumspect of pros/cons with each patient, and give your specific decision-making, supported by your value system, and have conviction in your decision-making. Do not lose respect for life, regardless of age or poor decisions.

If applicable, dramatically pause and pensively twirl your handlebar mustache as you consider each outcome.

Reactions: 2 users

My medical student interview was very warm, friendly, non-intimidating. My faculty interview was pretty challenging, mostly because the interviewer was extremely difficult to read, and didn't give any indication of his interest or lack thereof regarding what I was saying. But overall the day was very pleasant and the people are extremely nice. It felt like a very welcoming place.

Both my faculty and student interview were incredibly laid back. I had a great conversation with my faculty interviewer. I think they emphasize low stress interviews. I only got one curveball question and it was kind of my fault for bringing up reimbursement policy.