2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I already have an IU account from undergrad, but I can't log back into the IUSM portal.

This is happening to me as well, I just called the help desk at CAITS and they are trying to figure out what the problem is!

Edit: Should be fixed now, I am able to log in! If you still aren't, I would call CAITS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is happening to me as well, I just called the help desk at CAITS and they are trying to figure out what the problem is!

Edit: Should be fixed now, I am able to log in! If you still aren't, I would call CAITS!
Sweet, it's working now. Thanks for the heads up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to setup my IU credentials just now but I am not able to login into the applicant portal at the moment. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm assuming it just takes some time to authenticate?
One thing I forgot to say, if you don't already have IU credentials, you're going to have to wait a few days, because the new accounts have to be downloaded and updated into the IU system (up to 5 days).

Anyone who interviewed at Indianapolis hear anything yet? Early January interviews.

Why the emails just sent to me about setting up a profile/credentials and mailing my acceptance form and picking my campus preference and background check seem overwhelming lol. Anyone receive some email talking about a background check consent request from [email protected]?

Why the emails just sent to me about setting up a profile/credentials and mailing my acceptance form and picking my campus preference and background check seem overwhelming lol. Anyone receive some email talking about a background check consent request from [email protected]?
I did earlier today. I authorized the background check at around 10:30 AM, and by 9 PM it was done.

Might be early to ask, but does anyone know if IU provides some sort of colleague info to facilitate finding roommates? It would be especially helpful for us OOS students.

I interviewed in Early October and never heard anything back yet should I be concerned? OSS Applicant.

I interviewed in Early October and never heard anything back yet should I be concerned? OSS Applicant.

Hard to tell, man. Too many unknowns like: ADCOMs logic on acceptances, size of waitlist vs size of accepted students that actually matriculate. You always have a chance until you receive a rejection. Many have made it with worse odds. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
What did you guys rate your campus preferences and what did you think the main factor was in making your decision? I'm having trouble lol

I'd put Gary high up on your list. It's close to Chicago, and has a strong urban/industrial feel that you're sure to love. Small class sizes too.
In case this is not a joke, I would not place Gary that high. That city is a war zone. Plus, I'm skeptical about research opportunities which are important if you are looking for competitive residencies.

In case this is not a joke, I would not place Gary that high. That city is a war zone. Plus, I'm skeptical about research opportunities which are important if you are looking for competitive residencies.
So what is your ranking. I had Gary 4th on my list. Im looking to maximize my potential for research opps

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you guys rate your campus preferences and what did you think the main factor was in making your decision? I'm having trouble lol

There's a variety of reasons that people choose certain campuses. Some choose it based on family and wanted to be closer.
So what is your ranking. I had Gary 4th on my list. Im looking to maximize my potential for research opps

I would recommend Indianapolis and then West Lafayette and Bloomington second and/or third.

For research, I would probably go for Indianapolis and Bloomington, since Bloomington is the main campus for IU undergrads.

Gary and Terre Haute are last for me. Indianapolis, Bloomington, Lafayette, Fort Wayne were all at the top if I'm remembering correctly, I'd have to check.

Hey everyone!! I was wondering if anyone has an inside scoop about the likelihood of getting into Bloomington? I ranked it first choice and I would get to live with my friend so my fingers are extra crossed! Why can't it be April already?

PS everyone who still hasn't heard anything no worries...you still have this month!!!! Good luck!

Where do you go to input your campus preferences?
Also has anyone tried to login on the portal and it says "We were unable to locate an applicant withthe credentials you provided"?

Gary isn't a great city, but this is a pretty drastic overreaction. The university itself isn't in a bad area at all and there's numerous hospitals nearby that would provide exposure to those who want to eventually practice in an urban setting.

Updates - Curriculum this year is new for first years - attendance now mandatory - tests generated statewide, regional professors have little input in questions, almost 20% have failed so far at South Bend campus (5 out of 30). None failed last year.

Last edited:
Updates - Curriculum this year is new for first years - attendance mandatory - tests generated statewide, regional professors have little input in questions, almost 20% have failed so far at South Bend campus (5 out of 30).
Wow, where did you hear that about the South Bend stats? And how recently did you hear the update on curriculum? I thought they were reconsidering the mandatory attendance for next year.

Wow, where did you hear that about the South Bend stats? And how recently did you hear the update on curriculum? I thought they were reconsidering the mandatory attendance for next year.
Stats were based on yesterday. Heard most changes were made due to accreditation issues. If so, not much will change. 1st years don't know about next year. Administration not very forthcoming. If interested in another campus, suggest you directly contact a 1st yr there for more info.

Gary isn't a great city, but this is a pretty drastic overreaction. The university itself isn't in a bad area at all and there's numerous hospitals nearby that would provide exposure to those who want to eventually practice in an urban setting.

Gary:
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/in/gary/crime

Chicago for comparison:
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime/

Obviously it is not a literal war zone, but it's not as drastic an "overreaction" as you are making it out to be. This should be a legitimate consideration for people thinking about attending the Gary campus.

Where do you go to input your campus preferences?
Also has anyone tried to login on the portal and it says "We were unable to locate an applicant withthe credentials you provided"?
I believe to rank campuses, you have to sign into the applicant portal with your IU credentials. I'm having the same issue as you (same error message), even though I've waited more than the 5 business days I was told initially to wait after creating my IU username/passphrase. Currently waiting for an email response on how to fix this.

I believe to rank campuses, you have to sign into the applicant portal with your IU credentials. I'm having the same issue as you (same error message), even though I've waited more than the 5 business days I was told initially to wait after creating my IU username/passphrase. Currently waiting for an email response on how to fix this.
I got a response and they are not giving me good instructions to fix this issue. Then I was like F it heres my username and password then they replied "Youre going to have to get another passphrase because this is a security issue and against IU policy". SMH

Anyone know how to withdraw your application here? Given that you have to send updates in by mail, I'm curious if I have to send a telegraph, message by horse, or some other ancient form of communication, or if an email/phone call will suffice. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how to withdraw your application here? Given that you have to send updates in by mail, I'm curious if I have to send a telegraph, message by horse, or some other ancient form of communication, or if an email/phone call will suffice. :)
Lmao

Its not that different in Florida and I feel pretty safe. I think it's just always scary to move to a place you're not familiar with.
Agreed, where I currently live, there's also a high crime rate but I feel relatively safe too. It's not violent crime though, like in Gary, so that's something to still be aware of.

Sorry to ask the same question; I just haven't got a reply in a while which is understandable as the focus is on this cycle. So is it true that in-state EDP applicants who have the 3.6 (cumulative and science)/509 minimum numbers are a lock to get in? I would tremendously appreciate any insight. Thank you in advance.

Sorry to ask the same question; I just haven't got a reply in a while which is understandable as the focus is on this cycle. So is it true that in-state EDP applicants who have the 3.6 (cumulative and science)/509 minimum numbers are a lock to get in? I would tremendously appreciate any insight. Thank you in advance.

That's more or less how I understand it. Their website says you also need to have no section below 125, and you need the prerequisite letters of recommendation. I'm sure there are other ways to lose your shot at acceptance, especially with a terrible interview. However, everyone I know that applied EDP was accepted. If you talk to the pre-med adviser, she'll tell you that the only IU applicants that are rejected EDP either have red flags or don't meet the minimum score requirements.

Agreed, where I currently live, there's also a high crime rate but I feel relatively safe too. It's not violent crime though, like in Gary, so that's something to still be aware of.

Yeah Gary is a special place indeed

how long until they get back to you after your interview!?

how long until they get back to you after your interview!?

They send acceptances the 15th of every month. If they don't get to you or you haven't been accepted, you have to wait til the next month.

When do we find out campus assignments? I thought sometime in April, but is it before we have to make a final decision?

I just found out mine today
Oh, awesome! Did they mail it to you? I was accepted in November so I'm not sure if they let people know in the same order they were accepted or just everyone around the same time

I just found out mine today

I'm assuming you received a scholarship, which is awesome. Congrats! EDP and Scholarship accepted applicants get to choose their campus. Everyone else goes though the lottery which doesn't happen until mid-April, or ADCOM doesn't tell us the results until mid-April. From my understanding it is based off the time you save your preferences and the order of your preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
You must be right. My apologies - was not meant to be a brag. I was placed on the Indianapolis campus, which was my #1 choice.

Has anyone been accepted that is currently taking biochemistry and has not actually completed it yet? I'm currently taking it and I'm worried they might wait list me until it's complete. (I've already interviewed)

Has anyone been accepted that is currently taking biochemistry and has not actually completed it yet? I'm currently taking it and I'm worried they might wait list me until it's complete. (I've already interviewed)

Got accepted without having biochem in november. Started taking it in the spring semester.

Could anyone share their opinion on if it would be worth me applying here next cycle? OOS w/ no ties to Indiana, 506, 3.89 gpa, a bunch of volunteering experience

Could anyone share their opinion on if it would be worth me applying here next cycle? OOS w/ no ties to Indiana, 506, 3.89 gpa, a bunch of volunteering experience

Normally I'd say only apply to an OOS public school unless you have really strong stats or ties to the state. But I got an interview with 3.3 and a 510. But I had a masters and pretty solid ECs I would say. So you never know what will happen.