2016-2017 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know where I should send/upload a pre-II update letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where I should send/upload a pre-II update letter?

I would recommend sending it to the general admissions email with a CC to Dr. Callahan. I don't know the email addresses off the top of my head but they're definitely on Jefferson's website.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
We try not to keep people waiting for more than five weeks post-interview for a decision. Sometimes a faculty interviewer cannot make the meeting for an extended period of time. This happens rarely. I would give the admissions office a call and politely inquire. Typically a decision will be relayed to you the week that it is made.

Following up on this: Dr. Callahan just wrote back and said she doesn't know what happened. My decision was rendered in December, ~1 month after my interview, but I never got an email or portal update. At any rate, I am on the HPWL. Anyone know a rough % chance of admission from the HPWL? Are we talking like 60% or like 30% when people say "decent movement"?

Following up on this: Dr. Callahan just wrote back and said she doesn't know what happened. My decision was rendered in December, ~1 month after my interview, but I never got an email or portal update. At any rate, I am on the HPWL. Anyone know a rough % chance of admission from the HPWL? Are we talking like 60% or like 30% when people say "decent movement"?

I think this is answered somewhere above, but to add: When I interviewed at Jefferson I think they mentioned that 90 people from the current class were on the wait-list at some point in the application cycle. So, about a third of the overall admitted class. But the size of the HPWL is unknown to me, someone might have ballparked an estimate of roughly 300 earlier in the thread but I may be confusing it with something else.

I have an interview coming up and decided to take an extra day off work to spend some time in the area. Anyone have recommendations on things to do/sights to see around the area? I'm renting a car so anything really within driving distance is ok with me. Thanks!

I have an interview coming up and decided to take an extra day off work to spend some time in the area. Anyone have recommendations on things to do/sights to see around the area? I'm renting a car so anything really within driving distance is ok with me. Thanks!
Go to Moriarty's. My favorite bar. It's a Jefferson staple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
About a third of the class comes off the waitlist. No one knows the statistics of what the breakdown is in terms of people on the HPWL vs. the regular waitlist, but there is decent movement.

LOL literally got the phone call minutes after posting this! ACCEPTED!!
This is a dream of mine. I fantasize about it quite often actually. Admission committee mind control by way of tireless pleas to fellow SDNers in wait. To adcom members everywhere, must my cries be in vain???? MY MIND HAS WEAKENED, CRIPPLED BY THE HARROWING, RINGING SILENCE THAT ECHOS IN THE EMPTY SPACE WHERE MY SANITY ONCE LIVED.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a dream of mine. I fantasize about it quite often actually. Admission committee mind control by way of tireless pleas to fellow SDNers in wait. To adcom members everywhere, must my cries be in vain???? MY MIND HAS WEAKENED, CRIPPLED BY THE HARROWING, RINGING SILENCE THAT ECHOS IN THE EMPTY SPACE WHERE MY SANITY ONCE LIVED.

you need a nap hahaha

Reactions: 1 users
Do they only release results on Wednesdays, or do they release everyday?

Edit: Nevermind. Just went through the old posts and they're released every Wednesdays/Thursdays.

Super unexpected II on a Wednesday night. I'm scheduled for March 15

Those of you accepted and already applied for institutional aid (sent parent's tax forms, etc.), how you received your award letters yet? Does anyone know if this school has much merit-based funding to give to students?

No word on award letters (personally expecting to wait awhile... April to June). It seems need based aid is much more common than merit. There are a ton of scholarships (in some handbook), but 98% seemed to be based on need.

Those of you accepted and already applied for institutional aid (sent parent's tax forms, etc.), how you received your award letters yet? Does anyone know if this school has much merit-based funding to give to students?
No word on award letters (personally expecting to wait awhile... April to June). It seems need based aid is much more common than merit. There are a ton of scholarships (in some handbook), but 98% seemed to be based on need.
Most grants are need-based and for students from disadvantaged backgrounds or URM.

I withdrew from my interview on March 1. I hope it goes to one of you who is still waiting.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone know what the thank you note protocol is for this school?Completely forgot to ask at my interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@Doctor Strange do the student interviewers have any say in the admissions process at Jefferson? Or is it primarily the faculty interviewer

II today after months of silence. Withdrawing app. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back! Jefferson is still interviewing into April, I believe

Reactions: 8 users
Same question actually.

I have to assume not much say on the students part. My student interview was not good lol my student seemed largely indifferent, didnt really wanna be there, and it was really hard to make interesting conversation...but I got in...I assume faculty interview is more important

@Doctor Strange do the student interviewers have any say in the admissions process at Jefferson? Or is it primarily the faculty interviewer
I don't think they have as much say as faculty, but I assume they have some input. Why else would they take the time to interview you? My student interviewer was amazing and so excited to be there.

The student fills out a form about you with comments which is presented at the admissions meeting. I would say the decision is pretty 50/50 between faculty and student input. If you're rejected by the student, then you are flat out rejected.

The student fills out a form about you with comments which is presented at the admissions meeting. I would say the decision is pretty 50/50 between faculty and student input. If you're rejected by the student, then you are flat out rejected.

Dang, how often does that happen?

what's up guys! feel free to contact me if you have any questions (I know less about admission stuff as Doc Strange, but i'm happy to talk about anything else really) - i'm in the same class as Doc and I can't speak for him but I've absolutely loved Jefferson and love to sell it to anyone willing to listen. best of luck to those still interviewing and waiting for a decision! :thumbup:

Is there an accepted students thread or facebook page that anyone knows of? I want to start the roommate search!

Dang, how often does that happen?
Usually reserved for cases where the student was very clearly not a good fit for the SKMC community, including being racist/homophobic/etc. or saying offhanded comments that are inappropriate etc.

Usually reserved for cases where the student was very clearly not a good fit for the SKMC community, including being racist/homophobic/etc. or saying offhanded comments that are inappropriate etc.
Oh wow. That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. People actually do that?

Oh man. Hopefully being somewhat socially awkward doesn't fall under "clearly not a good fit for the SKMC community." I feel like I came off pretty introverted :( At least I don't recall saying anything offensive...

Oh wow. That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. People actually do that?
Very very rarely. I think often people are really nervous and things can slip out, and aren't necessarily super out there but definitely aren't things you shouldn't be saying.
Oh man. Hopefully being somewhat socially awkward doesn't fall under "clearly not a good fit for the SKMC community." I feel like I came off pretty introverted :( At least I don't recall saying anything offensive...
There's nothing wrong with being a little socially awkward or introverted. What I mean by that is if you are someone who can't hold eye contact, shake hands, or generally hold a conversation about anything. If you can't hold a conversation with us, how can we trust you to hold a conversation with a patient?

*as a slight aside, and I've said this before on SDN, but if anyone reading this thinks they struggle with social interaction, that is something you can work on! Nobody is expecting you to be perfect, but being able to converse goes a long way. Force yourself to engage people, strike up conversations with strangers at coffee shops. Yes, it can be super super awkward but it forces you to learn ways to interact with other people and makes you much more comfortable when you do need to do things like go on med school interviews.

I had a dream last night that I was in the year 2030 and I somehow found the link to check my status and still had the decision pending status.

Reactions: 20 users
Surprise II this morning! Keep the hope alive everyone. Interview date for March 15. Complete first part of August.

Reactions: 4 users
What time does Dr. Callahan usually call? I'm gonna be at work and don't want to miss the call if I am lucky enough to get it!!

So tomorrow it will have been 5 weeks since my interview, if I dont hear then is it appropriate to call?

So tomorrow it will have been 5 weeks since my interview, if I dont hear then is it appropriate to call?

Depends on what they told you- at my interview date they said we would definitely hear in 1-4 weeks. Unless they told you something different I think it is definitely fine to call!

Check the spam in your e-mail first to see if you got a waitlist email that went there. Decisions are usually made within five weeks, but sometimes (rarely) it can take longer. Give them a brief call if you don't hear by next Thursday.

Hey Everyone! I was wondering does Dr. Callahan have final say on who gets in or is it more of a committee agreement?

Did Callahan not respond to any of y'alls interest emails in the last 2 weeks? She responded to my one in December but not the latest one

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile