2016-2017 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're trying to get it set up ASAP. Will let you know once I hear back about it.

Hey all! I have been reading this thread from afar during the application cycle and now I will finally ask a couple questions! I am an accepted student as well.

I am looking forward to the FB group but I am from Oregon.... and I am very excited but eagerly and nervously anticipating the long travel/move ahead. Any current students - or prospective students who have communicated with RFU students - have any ideas of how to completely furnish my apartment when moving to Chicago!! I knew they mentioned students who graduate sell their furniture, etc. But where could we get all that info?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! I have been reading this thread from afar during the application cycle and now I will finally ask a couple questions! I am an accepted student as well.

I am looking forward to the FB group but I am from Oregon.... and I am very excited but eagerly and nervously anticipating the long travel/move ahead. Any current students - or prospective students who have communicated with RFU students - have any ideas of how to completely furnish my apartment when moving to Chicago!! I knew they mentioned students who graduate sell their furniture, etc. But where could we get all that info?

Thanks!

Ikea is pretty close, and that's how I furnished my apartment.

Hello. I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row for CMS including titers, physical, etc. They sent out an email last month stating we needed to complete a series of requirements. The email said "We require completion of a background check for all academic programs at RFU. Based on your academic program the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) contracts with the company Certiphi to process background checks and drug test." Does anyone know if we need to obtain a drug test prior to matriculation or is this something that RFUMS does once we are on campus? The email didn't mention it any further and I can't find any details on their website.

Hello. I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row for CMS including titers, physical, etc. They sent out an email last month stating we needed to complete a series of requirements. The email said "We require completion of a background check for all academic programs at RFU. Based on your academic program the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) contracts with the company Certiphi to process background checks and drug test." Does anyone know if we need to obtain a drug test prior to matriculation or is this something that RFUMS does once we are on campus? The email didn't mention it any further and I can't find any details on their website.

Yes I would like to know this too. Perhaps current students could elucidate RFU's drug testing procedures? Also, it's kind of strange that we have to "purchase" the ability to upload immunization records...

It's not due until after April 30th though I hope, right?

It says in the email "as soon as possible but no later than the first day of classes" for the immunizations.

However, I cannot find anything more about the drug test. I completed the background check through AMCAS/Certiphi, but it didn't mention anywhere about scheduling the drug test and I'm going to be in Korea until late June. I would like to know more but it feels awkward emailing them about it.

However, I cannot find anything more about the drug test. I completed the background check through AMCAS/Certiphi, but it didn't mention anywhere about scheduling the drug test and I'm going to be in Korea until late June. I would like to know more but it feels awkward emailing them about it.

We didn't have to do a drug test last year, so it might be new. Just email them. I doubt you need to have it done before school starts though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mid-November. Funny thing is that they've been sending me emails for accepted students in the last week.

I've noticed they've been having a few glitches (or slip-ups) with their e-mails the past few weeks. Last week at one point they sent an e-mail to ALL accepted students and forgot to BCC it. So if you were like me, you counted and found there are currently 209 people on that accepted e-mail listserv...

They later apologized for it, but it explains why you might have been getting some weird e-mails lately.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an II today. Does anybody have a rough idea of how many open spots they would have? I have like 5 waitlists and an acceptance already so the thought of flying to Chicago to interview for the waitlist makes me a sad panda.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got an II today. Does anybody have a rough idea of how many open spots they would have? I have like 5 waitlists and an acceptance already so the thought of flying to Chicago to interview for the waitlist makes me a sad panda.

We're you placed on "hold" pre II? Stats?

Doesn't matter. You can be accepted outright from any interview day.

Hey, congrats! Sorry I don't have the info you're asking for, but would you mind sharing when you were complete? :)

I was complete in August I think. I definitely read the email as a rejection the first time.

Thank you for sharing! You give me hope -- though my complete email was in October so my chances are probably close to zero.

Good luck on your interview if you decide to take it!!

Put on further review/pre-II hold today. Could anyone wager a guess as to the likelihood of getting an II at this point?

Put on further review/pre-II hold today. Could anyone wager a guess as to the likelihood of getting an II at this point?

Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive your complete email?

2017 Match List

ANESTHESIOLOGY (14)

Loyola University
U Utah
U Southern California
Brigham & Womens Hospital
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA
Cleveland Clinic Fdn
Cleveland Clinic Fdn
Univ of Chicago Med Center
U Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
University at Buffalo SOM
Med Coll Wisconsin
SUNY HSC Brooklyn
UCLA Medical Center
U Michigan

CHILD NEUROLOGY (1)
Cincinnati Childrens Hospital

EMERGENCY MEDICINE (14)
Resurrection Med Ctr
John Peter Smith Hosp
Cook County Stroger
Henry Ford HSC
UC Davis Med Center
U Michigan
U Illinois COM
Cook County Stroger
Henry Ford HSC
Akron Gen Med Ctr
Hennepin Co Med Ctr
U Michigan
Resurrection Med Ctr
Western Michigan Univ Stryker SOM

FAMILY MEDICINE (16)
Drexel Univ COM/Hahnemann Univ Hosp
St Joseph Hosp
Riverside Community Hospital
West Suburban Med Ctr
Gundersen Lutheran Med Fdn
Texas Tech U Affil-Amarillo
UPMC St Margaret
UC Irvine Med Ctr
Advocate Lutheran Gen Hosp
U Rochester/Strong Memorial
U Arizona COM
U Louisville SOM
U Wisconsin SOM and Public Health

GENERAL SURGERY (10)
Henry Ford HSC
Hennepin Co Med Ctr
U Southern California
St Joseph Hospital SCL Health
U Arizona COM at Tucson
U IL-St Francis Med Ctr
Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ
Arrowhead Reg Med Ctr
U South Florida Morsani COM
Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ

INTERNAL MEDICINE (39)
U South Florida Morsani COM
Kaiser Permanente Hawaii
Emory Univ SOM
Med Coll Wisconsin
U Illinois COM
Brooklyn Hospitals Center
Loma Linda University
UCLA Medical Center
RFUMS/Chicago Medical School
U Illinois COM
U Illinois COM
Rush University Med Ctr
Harbor UCLA Med Ctr
UC San Diego Med Ctr
Olive View UCLA Med Ctr
U Illinois COM
Greenville Health Sys/Univ of So Carolina
U Nevada SOM
U Illinois COM
Riverside Community Hospital
West Virginia University SOM
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr
Hofstra Northwell SOM
Alameda Health Sys-Highland Hosp
U Illinois COM
Rush University Med Ctr
Western Univ
St Mary Med Ctr-Long Beach
Hofstra Northwell SOM Lenox Hill Hosp
Hofstra Northwell SOM
Yale New Haven Hosp
George Washington Univ
Med Coll Wisconsin
Indiana Univ Sch of Med
Harbor UCLA Med Ctr
Maine Medical Center
Harbor UCLA Med Ctr
Emory Univ SOM

INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY (2)
Rochester Gen Hosp
Rush University Med Ctr

MEDICINE-PEDIATRICS (3)
U Louisville SOM
U Minnesota Med School
Yale – New Haven Hosp

MEDICINE-PRELIMINARY (15)
Jewish Hospital
U Illinois COM
Rush University Med Ctr
U Illinois COM
Virginia Mason Med Ctr
Jewish Hospital
Alameda Health Sys Highland Hosp
West Surburban Med Ctr
St John Hospital
Loyola Univ Med Ctr
Morehouse Sch of Med
Harbor UCLA Med Ctr
West Suburban Med Ctr
Advocate IL Masonic Med Ctr

MED-PRELIM/NEUROLOGY (2)
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr
Rush University Med Ctr

NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY (4)
Brigham & Womens Hosp
U Cincinnati Med Ctr
University of Virginia
U Southern California

NEUROLOGY (6)
Loyola Univ Med Ctr
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr
U Southern California
Kaiser Permanente-LA
Rush University Med Ctr
U Iowa

OBSTETRICS-GYNECOLOGY (6)
Hofstra Northwell SOM
Univ of MO-KC
St Joseph Hosp
Henry Ford HSC
Med Coll Wisconsin

OPTHALMOLOGY (4)
U Cincinnati
Rush University Med Ctr
U Cincinnati
Kresege Eye Institute/Wayne State

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY (4)
John Hopkins Hosp
McLaren Reg Med Ctr
Ohio State University Med Ctr
SIU SOM & Afill Hosps

OTOLARYNGOLOGY (1)
U Tennessee COM

PATHOLOGY (1)
UC San Diego Med Ctr

PEDIATRICS (14)

NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr
Advocate Christ Med Ctr
Johns Hopkins Hosp
Rush University Med Ctr
Indiana Univ Sch of Med
Kaiser Permanente LA
U Texas at Austin Deli Med School
U Utah
Advocate Lutheran General
Kaiser Permanente-LA
UCLA Medical Center
Emory Univ SOM
Loyola Univ Med Ctr
Rush University Med Ctr

PM&R (2)
Schwab Rehab Hosp
University Hosps-Columbia

PLASTIC SURGERY (1)
U Rochester/Strong Memorial

PSYCHIATRY (5)
Cambridge Health Alliance
VA Greater LA Health Sys
U Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
Rutgers – RW Johnson Med School
U Iowa

RADIATION-ONCOLOGY (1)
U Texas MD Anderson Cancer Ctr

RADIOLOGY-DIAGNOSTIC (13)
U Texas Med Sch
Advocate IL Masonic Med Ctr
UC San Francisco
UC San Francisco
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown Univ
Stanford Univ Progs
UCLA Medical Center
Cleveland Clinic Fdn
Pennsylvania Hospital
Rush University Med Ctr
Beaumont Health System
Rush University Med Ctr
San Antonio Military Medical Center

SURGERY-PRELIMINARY (6)
UC San Francisco
Kaiser Permanente-LA
Mount Carmel Health System
University Hosps Columbia
Rush University Med Ctr
Rush University Med Ctr

TRANSITIONAL (8)
Intermountain Med Ctr
St Joseph Hosp
St Mary Mercy Hospital
Henry Ford HSC
MacNeal Hospital
Indiana Univ Health Ball Memorial Hosp
MacNeal Hospital
St Joseph Hosp

UROLOGY (1)
University of Missouri

Reactions: 11 users
Could someone explain medicine preliminary and transitional? If I'm correct in thinking that these usually precede specialities, should we be worried?

Interviewed 12-2-16, waitlisted 2-21-17. Loved this school! Hoping for waitlist movement come Traffic Day...:nod:

Could someone explain medicine preliminary and transitional? If I'm correct in thinking that these usually precede specialities, should we be worried?

Preliminary and transitional years are one year programs that typically precede one of a few specialties: dermatology, radiology, neurology, ophthalmology, anesthesiology, and urology. That is, you HAVE to do a one year prelim or transitional year prior to continuing in those specialties. I will describe the difference between transitional, prelim, and categorical in a moment. First, prelim: A prelim year can either be in SURGERY or MEDICINE. As a surgical or medical "prelim" you simply function as a 1st year resident in those respective specialties. So a prelim surgery resident is basically a 1st year general surgery resident (for all intents and purposes) and a prelim medicine resident is basically a 1st year Internal Medicine resident. The different is, a "prelim" is done after one year and they move on to begin their specialty training as a PGY-2. Some specialties require you to do a surgery prelim year (i.e. Urology), whereas for most you can choose to do either a surgery or medicine prelim year. Most people choose to do a medicine prelim year because nobody wants to be a surgical intern.

Transitional year is like M3 year all over again: you rotate through a bunch of different specialties for I think around one month each. I think it tends to be a little bit easier than a prelim year. I am pretty sure you can substitute a transitional year for a prelim year for most specialties, except maybe Urology (which, like I said before wants you to do a surgical prelim year). People who have no idea what they want to do with their lives will occasionally do a transitional year to figure it out.

A categorical residency is one that takes you directly from medical school. That is, some programs (ENT, orthopedic surgery off the top of my head) DO NOT require you to do a general medicine or surgery intern year prior to starting in their specialties.

The short answer is NO, you do not have to be worried. These people are doing preliminary years because they are required by their final specialty programs. If you saw tons of prelims, and no specialty matches then yes you should be worried. If tons of people matched for prelim spots but not their final specialty (that they will eventually enter as a PGY-2) then this would be concerning. This was not the case at CMS this year. FYI you apply to your prelim year and your PGY-2 specialty training at the same time (Sept. of M4 year) and interview separately for both programs. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 6 users
Preliminary and transitional years are one year programs that typically precede one of a few specialties: dermatology, radiology, neurology, ophthalmology, anesthesiology, and urology. That is, you HAVE to do a one year prelim or transitional year prior to continuing in those specialties. I will describe the difference between transitional, prelim, and categorical in a moment. First, prelim: A prelim year can either be in SURGERY or MEDICINE. As a surgical or medical "prelim" you simply function as a 1st year resident in those respective specialties. So a prelim surgery resident is basically a 1st year general surgery resident (for all intents and purposes) and a prelim medicine resident is basically a 1st year Internal Medicine resident. The different is, a "prelim" is done after one year and they move on to begin their specialty training as a PGY-2. Some specialties require you to do a surgery prelim year (i.e. Urology), whereas for most you can choose to do either a surgery or medicine prelim year. Most people choose to do a medicine prelim year because nobody wants to be a surgical intern.

Transitional year is like M3 year all over again: you rotate through a bunch of different specialties for I think around one month each. I think it tends to be a little bit easier than a prelim year. I am pretty sure you can substitute a transitional year for a prelim year for most specialties, except maybe Urology (which, like I said before wants you to do a surgical prelim year). People who have no idea what they want to do with their lives will occasionally do a transitional year to figure it out.

A categorical residency is one that takes you directly from medical school. That is, some programs (ENT, orthopedic surgery off the top of my head) DO NOT require you to do a general medicine or surgery intern year prior to starting in their specialties.

The short answer is NO, you do not have to be worried. These people are doing preliminary years because they are required by their final specialty programs. If you saw tons of prelims, and no specialty matches then yes you should be worried. If tons of people matched for prelim spots but not their final specialty (that they will eventually enter as a PGY-2) then this would be concerning. This was not the case at CMS this year. FYI you apply to your prelim year and your PGY-2 specialty training at the same time (Sept. of M4 year) and interview separately for both programs. Hope this helps.

This helped immensely! Thank you!

Does anyone know anything about completing the background check and drug test requirements?

I received a "AAMC Background Check Consent Request" from Certiphi email in January, which I completed and the results released to medical schools; however, there is no indication that RFU has received it. Does completing the Certiphi background check meet the RFU requirement?

Also, what is this drug test that we must complete, it is not clear how and where to complete that...

Does anyone know anything about completing the background check and drug test requirements?

I received a "AAMC Background Check Consent Request" from Certiphi email in January, which I completed and the results released to medical schools; however, there is no indication that RFU has received it. Does completing the Certiphi background check meet the RFU requirement?

Also, what is this drug test that we must complete, it is not clear how and where to complete that...

We require completion of a background check for all academic programs at RFU. Based on your academic program the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) contracts with the company Certiphi to process background checks and drug test. The results of your background check are made available to RFU so you will not need to send it. You will be notified if the results of your background check warrant further discussion or action. Please note, your background check will remain confidential and will not become a part of your permanent student record. (It will only reflect completion or non-completion on your file) Please contact Certiphi Application Station site, at: 888-291-1369 x2006 with any technical issues.

Do they still send out IIs at this time?
Complete early Oct but heard nothing...

Reactions: 2 users
how many weeks after the interview do people usually hear a decision?

I'm wondering the same thing. Should we contact them or do you think our worth waiting for them to send something to us?

I'm wondering the same thing. Should we contact them or do you think our worth waiting for them to send something to us? .
I sent them an email today asking about the same thing. Hopefully I will get a response, if not, I will call them next week.

I sent them an email today asking about the same thing. Hopefully I will get a response, if not, I will call them next week..
Awesome. Would you mind posting their response if and when you get one?

Got an invite for II yesterday. I am going next week. Hoping for the Midwest advantage. Complete since September.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users