2016-2017 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That info will probably be disseminated at second look next week. If you aren't attending then I'm sure someone else on these boards is and can enlighten the thread. Orientation is usually ~2 week of August. It's a week long and you can move in the week before. There's a class camping trip lead by second years the weekend before orientation starts that the school pays for and I highly recommend to everyone.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Came here to wish everyone luck
I was on the waitlist last year and this was my top choice
Unfortunately I didn't get an interview this year but this is still a wonderful school!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Monday, August 14 - Friday, August 18: Orientation Week & Online Registration
Tuesday, August 15 (tentative): Opening Exercises - White Coat Ceremony
Monday, August 21: Instruction begins: Essential Principles of Medicine

Hope to see you in August!

Don't forget cAMP is the weekend before orientation!

Can someone clear up if Cornell has internal ranking? And will residency directors get your ranking?

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone clear up if Cornell has internal ranking? And will residency directors get your ranking?

I believe there is an internal ranking (utilized for things such as the "Sidney and Viola Borkon Memorial Prize, awarded annually to the student who places at the top of the class for scholastic performance upon completion of the pre-clinical curriculum")

I'm unsure about residency directors seeing it though.

Okay, time for a crash course on financial aid!

Your total cost of attendance (COA) includes direct costs (things you pay directly to the school, like tuition, fees, on-campus housing) and indirect costs (food, books, transportation, etc). Direct costs are things that you're going to definitely have to pay, but many schools overestimate indirect costs just to ensure that you can borrow more money if needed (most loans have a borrowing cap at your COA). So, if your parental + student contribution is $7000, it's a "low" enough amount that it's probably for indirect costs, so you wouldn't pay the school that money anyway. It's how much the school is estimating you should have saved up for food, personal expenses, etc.

I also see that you asked about receiving federal loans -- your financial aid package should summarize all the loans that they have awarded you already. It should include federal unsubsidized loans (Stafford & Grad PLUS) and any institutional loans you received. The list of loans they offer can be found here: Types of Financial Aid | Student Services

You can also appeal your financial aid award with this form: http://studentservices.weill.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/appeal_application_form_2017-18.pdf if you think that there was a mistake.

Hope I made sense! Apologies for this wall of text.

Hey! Thank you for your reply. I am in the middle of completing the appeal form, which asks for my student email/CWID. Has anyone run into this? I have an ID in an email they sent, however I do not believe this is the CWID. I was unable to attend the second look weekend and wonder if I missed pertinent information there. Please let me know if anyone can help!

Thanks!

So I'm on the waitlist and was wondering if any kind accepted students out there would mind sending me their Weill immunization and health record forms. I'll be out of the country and want to have them ready in the miraculous event that I get pulled!!

Just withdrew! I hope someone on the waitlist gets an offer!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
JUST GOT ACCEPTED TODAY INTO MSTP!!!! (off waitlist) I'm beyond words. Still ecstatic 5 hours laters. Was starting to study for the MCAT again but no more :D. Good luck guys! Hope to see you there

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I just got the email regarding my interest in remaining on the waitlist. Last year movement happened soon after it was sent out, so fingers crossed!

Reactions: 2 users
Also got the interest confirmation!

Last edited:
Anyone receive an email back after responding? (I haven't yet just FYI)

^me refreshing this thread for news every 10min

Reactions: 3 users
It's 10 am no emails yet, just want closure

It's 10 am no emails yet, just want closure

it always takes them a while to get back to people. and just bc they don't confirm it doesn't mean you're not on the WL. don't stress, you prolly won't hear back for a few more weeks

it always takes them a while to get back to people. and just bc they don't confirm it doesn't mean you're not on the WL. don't stress, you prolly won't hear back for a few more weeks

Lol huh? He's talking about acceptance emails...

I really thought they might make some movement on the WL today ugh

Lol chill, it's May 3rd go enjoy life peeps, it's too early to start dooming yourself

Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone get a confirmation email in response to expressing desire to remain on the WL?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I called- they said it will move anytime from now till August. Very useful information!

Reactions: 4 users
Don't stress too much about the waitlist here
Cornell has a very long waitlist and even if you do not get into Cornell this year, I'm sure most of you can get interviews at other top tier schools next year
That's the position I'm in now although I don't have an acceptance yet

ACCEPTED!!!!! **** yeah about an hour ago

Reactions: 6 users