2016-2017 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted.

Congrats to people who got acceptances!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! I can't wait to meet my new fam. Congratulations everyone!

If you're on the waitlist, when would it probably be a good time to send a letter of intent? Mid April? Weill is my dream.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am so excited we are all Cornell BOUND

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!!! Does anyone remember if housing is guaranteed for all medical students for all 4 years? I'm almost certain it is, but would like to double check. Thanks!

It is:) Med students start out all together in Olin Hall their first year. After that, most move to apartment-style living in Lasdon, but there are also other shared-apartment, family housing, and studios available in other buildings (such as Stahl and Cornell Tech).

Also, as a first-year, I just want to congratulate all of you who were lucky enough to be accepted into WCMC 202:) It's a pretty awesome place. Feel free to join the facebook page--there are a ton of med students waiting to welcome you guys there and to answer any questions you may have.

And good luck to all of the wait-listed students! I don't personally have much experience with that so I can't be of much help, but I definitely know of people who got into our class off the waitlist--good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Did any of you receive a response via email after filling out the waitlist form? I have not received anything yet...

Also, as a first-year, I just want to congratulate all of you who were lucky enough to be accepted into WCMC 202:) It's a pretty awesome place. Feel free to join the facebook page--there are a ton of med students waiting to welcome you guys there and to answer any questions you may have.

And good luck to all of the wait-listed students! I don't personally have much experience with that so I can't be of much help, but I definitely know of people who got into our class off the waitlist--good luck!

Thank you!! As a waitlisted student, I'm pretty nervous right now. Do you know approximately how much of the class was filled from the WL?

So if we're planning on moving with our SO, does anyone know when applications for family housing are due? Is there a long waitlist? If there are any current students who can chime in on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

So if we're planning on moving with our SO, does anyone know when applications for family housing are due? Is there a long waitlist? If there are any current students who can chime in on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Not sure about when or what the process is, but your legal status with your SO does matter. Family housing is only available for married couples I believe. You have to find your own place if you are moving in with a girl/boyfriend. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about when or what the process is, but your legal status with your SO does matter. Family housing is only available for married couples I believe. You have to find your own place if you are moving in with a girl/boyfriend. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes - some sort of legal partnership status is usually required, really just in terms of priority, I believe. Since there is a much greater demand for couples housing than what exists, you pretty much need to be married/in a domestic partnership/something similar in order to be considered. And from there...honestly, the earlier you start the process/get your name in the mix the better. You're in the same pool as Grad Students, PA students, etc...so couples housing goes quickly. I've had classmates on the waiting list for couples housing for over a year.

Could someone remind me of the grading system here? Was it P/F for the first 2 years or 4 years?

Could someone remind me of the grading system here? Was it P/F for the first 2 years or 4 years?
I believe it's P/F preclerkship and during clerkships it's Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail, but I could be wrong.

Hi! I'm going to defer on answering your questions here, because there are a whole host of us super excited to answer any and all of your questions with much more nuance than I alone can give on your class facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/629728473882263/ . Please feel free to ask us anything:)

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! To those on the waitlist, good luck and have faith!

anyone have any idea how many have come off the wait list here in years past?
A good chunk of the class comes from the waitlist. There is movement right after May 15th and continues deep into the summer. The admissions committee also tends to have a preference for people who don't have any acceptances from what I've seen.

I believe it's P/F preclerkship and during clerkships it's Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail, but I could be wrong.

^This is true. P/F first two years, and H/HP/P/F during clerkships. Reverts back to P/F during fourth year.

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone gotten the accepted student form in the mail yet? when are these due?

Hey, y'all! Pumped to be accepted here - does anyone know where I could find a recent match list? It seems they don't publish one online...

Hey, y'all! Pumped to be accepted here - does anyone know where I could find a recent match list? It seems they don't publish one online...

There should be a 2016 match list in your interview day folder!

Waitlister here drafting a letter of intent and I have a few questions for current students:
-when do you think the best time to submit the letter is (if there is a best time)?
-if your experience, what makes Cornell? What can you get here that you really can't get anywhere else? I want to get current student insight into what they love about the school
-if I've been accepted to other medical schools, should I include that information in the letter? As in, while I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to other programs, Cornell is really my dream. I read somewhere the Cornell shows love to people on the waitlist who haven't gotten in elsewhere...not sure how reliable that source is though.

Last edited:
Waitlister here drafting a letter of intent and I have a few questions for current students:
-when do you think the best time to submit the letter is (if there is a best time)?
-if your experience, what makes Cornell? What can you get here that you really can't get anywhere else? I want to get current student insight into what they love about the school to make my letter more unique.
-if I've been accepted to other medical schools, should I include that information in the letter? As in, while I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to other programs, Cornell is really my dream. I read somewhere the Cornell shows love to people on the waitlist who haven't gotten in elsewhere...not sure how reliable that source is though.

1. I submitted mine even before I heard a response from the school (acceptance/rejection/waitlist). This was actually before I had any acceptances anywhere.

2. This school has a lot of resources for its students. It is a top research university and is connected to a prestigious hospital network. There are numerous places to do research/do rotations/have preceptorships at (e.g. Hospital for Special Surgery, Memorial-Sloan Kettering, Rockefeller University, and Cornell/NYP itself). The class size is only ~105 students for a full hospital network; most other schools have at least 150-180 students. This leaves a tremendous number of resources for its students since there are less students to divide the set amount of resources with (e.g. preceptors, places for rotations, etc.). The faculty are super open to helping out the students, and the program is very well-run, since the new curriculum is now on its 3rd year. It's also in NYC, which is great for people like me.

3. No, don't include that info. It sounds kind of pretentious. Maybe try submitting the letter of intent later then? I know that there's some date when schools can begin to see the other schools you've been accepted to. I'm sure they could read on there to see where else you've been accepted/if you've been accepted to any comparable programs. Or, include that information into your letter in a very, very, very indirect way. Maybe something like - you're currently planning on moving to (name of city) for school, but really want to come to NYC at Cornell for school? Even that could be a bit too direct.

IMG_4733.JPG
IMG_4734.JPG

M2 here.

You don't need to be married to get couples housing, it's harder if you're just dating someone but it's possible.

There's no preference for students lacking an acceptance, nor is there discrimination. The school accepts the students they want, there's a lot of movement from the waitlist mostly in early to mid May.

Match was pretty amazing this year. Few highlights: 7 ortho; 6 derm; 2 each of Uro, optho, ENT and strong matching else where. Keep in mind we have 105/class.

-if your experience, what makes Cornell? What can you get here that you really can't get anywhere else? I want to get current student insight into what they love about the school to make my letter more unique.

It kind of takes away from the sincerity if you are asking students why they love Cornell to fill your letter and 'make it unique'. You've interviewed here and had over a year to look into the school to decide whether or not it is a good fit and why.

Post edit: I don't mean to come across so harsh with the above post. Cornell is a very special place to the students and faculty. Our small class size coupled with the majority of our student body living on campus creates a close knit family here that isn't seen to the same degree in many other schools around the country. Everyone who interviewed here has the potential to become an incredible physician; the students we want to join us here are the ones who share our values, but offer a unique contribution to the Cornell family. If you're waitlisted and think you fit this description find a way to convey it to us. If you're waitlisted/accepted and don't think this is you, then it might not be a good idea to come here; you'll still go on to do great things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
It kind of takes away from the sincerity if you are asking students why they love Cornell to fill your letter and 'make it unique'. You've interviewed here and had over a year to look into the school to decide whether or not it is a good fit and why.

I had the same sort of feeling after reading that post, especially considering we literally wrote a "Why Cornell" essay for our secondaries. Not to gang up on that person or anything... maybe take a look at your secondary? Or the info packet we got at the interview?

View attachment 216351 View attachment 216350
M2 here.

You don't need to be married to get couples housing, it's harder if you're just dating someone but it's possible.

There's no preference for students lacking an acceptance, nor is there discrimination. The school accepts the students they want, there's a lot of movement from the waitlist mostly in early to mid May.

Match was pretty amazing this year. Few highlights: 7 ortho; 6 derm; 2 each of Uro, optho, ENT and strong matching else where. Keep in mind we have 105/class.

Post edit: I don't mean to come across so harsh with the above post. Cornell is a very special place to the students and faculty. Our small class size coupled with the majority of our student body living on campus creates a close knit family here that isn't seen to the same degree in many other schools around the country. Everyone who interviewed here has the potential to become an incredible physician; the students we want to join us here are the ones who share our values, but offer a unique contribution to the Cornell family. If you're waitlisted and think you fit this description find a way to convey it to us. If you're waitlisted/accepted and don't think this is you, then it might not be a good idea to come here; you'll still go on to do great things.

No neurosurg match? Hmmm

In all seriousness, am I doing a disservice to myself by going here if I may be interested in Neursurg down the line?

Last year's match that I linked above has three neurosurgery matches. Maybe nobody wanted to go into neurosurgery this year, or maybe the whole class wanted to and none matched. Who knows?

In all seriousness, am I doing a disservice to myself by going here if I may be interested in Neursurg down the line?

No. Neurosurg is hard to get into; ortho, ent, and urology are all harder and we matched well in those this year. I can think of at least 4 of my classmates (out of 106) who won national awards for summer research funding last year related to neurosurgery, one of whom's work was just distinguished as the best w/in his award:

Raymond Chang Wins ABTA Award for Summer Sprint Project
Weill Cornell Medical Student to Lend a Hand in Tanzania This Summer
Medical Student Christopher Marnell Wins Summer NREF Fellowship
St. Baldrick’s Awards Summer Fellowship to Weill Cornell
Weill Cornell Medical Student Wins Alex’s Lemonade Stand Grant for DIPG Summer Project

This is just the class of 2019, and just the awards I could find related to neurosurg. You can do anything at Cornell.

We have regular alumni dinner nights at cornell and next monday's is actually for neurosurg. I'm happy to ask for some help getting an admit in if you want to drop by.

Reactions: 3 users
Did any of you receive a response via email after filling out the waitlist form? I have not received anything yet...
I received an email yesterday confirming my request to remain on the waitlist.

Hello guys, I have a quick question about orientation & the white coat ceremony. I am an intl student and would like my parents to come over during orientation, so I was wondering if there are any events for family members (i.e. Dinners etc) and how many people each student can bring to the white coat ceremony.

Hello guys, I have a quick question about orientation & the white coat ceremony. I am an intl student and would like my parents to come over during orientation, so I was wondering if there are any events for family members (i.e. Dinners etc) and how many people each student can bring to the white coat ceremony.

Haha I get the pleasure to let you know that only one person can be in the auditorium for the white coat ceremony! (Unless things get changed around this year). Other people who want to be there can watch the ceremony live in a room next door. You'll get a ticket, and you can get tickets from your classmates who don't have any family coming to the white coat ceremony.

There's a reception after the white coat ceremony for family members. I don't think there were any events for family during orientation week. There is, however, a family day (during your first year) when the school hosts a bunch of different events for your family members to come and see what the school is all about,provide food/drinks, etc.

Haha I get the pleasure to let you know that only one person can be in the auditorium for the white coat ceremony! (Unless things get changed around this year). Other people who want to be there can watch the ceremony live in a room next door. You'll get a ticket, and you can get tickets from your classmates who don't have any family coming to the white coat ceremony.

There's a reception after the white coat ceremony for family members. I don't think there were any events for family during orientation week. There is, however, a family day (during your first year) when the school hosts a bunch of different events for your family members to come and see what the school is all about,provide food/drinks, etc.

True, but there are a lot of students whose families don't come to town. You can always try to get a ticket from them. I know of a lot of people who were able to score two tickets.

So I got my award letter but I'm pretty financially illiterate.
The letter says that my parents and I need to contribute about $7000 for the first year, but we most likely cannot do that.
Where should I go from here?

The letter says that my parents and I need to contribute about $7000 for the first year, but we most likely cannot do that.

Federal loans

Do they send an email?

True, but there are a lot of students whose families don't come to town. You can always try to get a ticket from them. I know of a lot of people who were able to score two tickets.

Definitely! It seemed like most people who really wanted to make sure that both parents could come were able to get both of them in!

What are the dates for orientation, white coat ceremony, and first day of class for incoming class of 2017?

What are the dates for orientation, white coat ceremony, and first day of class for incoming class of 2017?

That info will probably be disseminated at second look next week. If you aren't attending then I'm sure someone else on these boards is and can enlighten the thread. Orientation is usually ~2 week of August. It's a week long and you can move in the week before. There's a class camping trip lead by second years the weekend before orientation starts that the school pays for and I highly recommend to everyone.