2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup! Same! Did you guys like this school? Will you attend this school?

I loved this school. I’ve interviewed at 8 schools and this one wins over all of them. Received my acceptance today and will definitely be attending!

Reactions: 7 users
Someone may have already answered this but what is the interview like? Is it open, closed, or partially open file? If you cannot I totally understand. I was just curious on some feedback from those who interviewed already while I prepare. (Preparing for interview while over Thanksgiving...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone may have already answered this but what is the interview like? Is it open, closed, or partially open file? If you cannot I totally understand. I was just curious on some feedback from those who interviewed already while I prepare. (Preparing for interview while over Thanksgiving...)

Open file.

So I just received a secondary last week. I don't know if they sent me one before or not because apparently they were sent to people's spam and I don't check my spam..... Is it too late to send a secondary now? Isn't interview season basically almost over? Thoughts?

So I just received a secondary last week. I don't know if they sent me one before or not because apparently they were sent to people's spam and I don't check my spam..... Is it too late to send a secondary now? Isn't interview season basically almost over? Thoughts?
Interviews go all the way to April sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I think BCOM Interviews pretty late into the game or at least they did last year!

How is the interview process here?

Also is the deposit really $3000?

Last edited:
II invite :D scheduled for 1/17 but there is one earlier date available for next week on the 8th from what I saw

Year 2 student here just want to say if any on the fence of going to other more established school I would. Still lot unorganized stuff going on as result of being new school. Examples.—5+ faculty and counting have already left since last year to find new positions elsewhere because don’t want to be part of this, staff and upper admin don’t seem to h-be clue about what they are doing or how to fix things , -allowed back multiple verified cheaters from year one to move onto year two which is a crazy by the way also allowed many students that academically failed back to move on yr two so it wouldn’t ruin stats (way over 15% of students failed at least one course last year if not more based on research this number way to high for any med school-, Lack of study space is very real any annoying and to top it off at least my class there are very few helpful people as many want to just bring you down and half the class wanting into emergency medicine . For the sake of being fair the good things are -new campus and some experienced faculty that came from other med schools but like I said most are slowly starting to leave if they haven’t already .

Btw because I see people asking still no cadavers and still no fed loans even though they have told us every year this would be avail the next year since we started -Just want to tell like it is with just facts not saying don’t go here but just want to help you out and be honest with experience. This year for us so far has been terrible honestly.If this is how every med school is then forget everything I’ve said as I obviously wouldn’t know.probably not going to even respond back in here so good luck everyone sure you will all do fine back to studying boards will be here soon!

Year 2 student here just want to say if any on the fence of going to other more established school I would. Still lot unorganized stuff going on as result of being new school. Examples.—5+ faculty and counting have already left since last year to find new positions elsewhere because don’t want to be part of this, staff and upper admin don’t seem to h-be clue about what they are doing or how to fix things , -allowed back multiple verified cheaters from year one to move onto year two which is a crazy by the way also allowed many students that academically failed back to move on yr two so it wouldn’t ruin stats (way over 15% of students failed at least one course last year if not more based on research this number way to high for any med school-, Lack of study space is very real any annoying and to top it off at least my class there are very few helpful people as many want to just bring you down and half the class wanting into emergency medicine . For the sake of being fair the good things are -new campus and some experienced faculty that came from other med schools but like I said most are slowly starting to leave if they haven’t already .

Btw because I see people asking still no cadavers and still no fed loans even though they have told us every year this would be avail the next year since we started -Just want to tell like it is with just facts not saying don’t go here but just want to help you out and be honest with experience. This year for us so far has been terrible honestly.If this is how every med school is then forget everything I’ve said as I obviously wouldn’t know.probably not going to even respond back in here so good luck everyone sure you will all do fine back to studying boards will be here soon!
This is how every medical school is

Members don't see this ad :)

Well,, thats discouraging! Haha thank you for your input btw.

Year 2 student here just want to say if any on the fence of going to other more established school I would. Still lot unorganized stuff going on as result of being new school. Examples.—5+ faculty and counting have already left since last year to find new positions elsewhere because don’t want to be part of this, staff and upper admin don’t seem to h-be clue about what they are doing or how to fix things , -allowed back multiple verified

Sounds like a disgruntled 2nd year haha. From the first year side, it can unequivocally said that our year has had improvements learned over last year's class and things will continue to get better. To think that growing pains will be non-existent is just naive thinking.

And yes, there has been faculty turnover, but the faculty that have left aren't exactly those winning Teacher of the Year awards, either. Good fit goes both ways.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a disgruntled 2nd year haha. From the first year side, it can unequivocally said that our year has had improvements learned over last year's class and things will continue to get better. To think that growing pains will be non-existent is just naive thinking.

And yes, there has been faculty turnover, but the faculty that have left aren't exactly those winning Teacher of the Year awards, either. Good fit goes both ways.

Yup. And the previous poster conveniently forgot to mention that BCOM has hired more faculty far more faculty than have left. Any new business/organization is going to have some turnover at the beginning. If you are fortunate enough to have an interview, talk students while you are on campus so you can make your own decision. Don't be persuaded by some internet stranger who is likely blaming the school for their own deficits.

While some of this is technically true, you've obviously exaggerated, left out a good bit of context, and attributed the worst possible intentions you could think of. But I'll fight you on the assertion that our class isn't helpful. Our class is far more collaborative and supportive than virtually any other med school class out there. Perhaps you are unhappy with being reminded to stay professional on our facebook page, or with candid remarks reminding people to be smart and strategic in how they approach the Match? I wouldn't qualify that as "wanting to bring you down." Our classmates regularly post study materials for everyone to use, share information, donate to club fundraisers, and help out with events whenever it is needed. If you need help, there's always multiple someones ready and willing to lend a hand. Our class is awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
In what aspect? The quick turnover rate in faculty or the cheating/failed students allowed to move on? Or both lol.
The original poster left out quite a bit of context, to the point that his statements are incredibly misleading. You can message me if you'd like a more fair account.

It's difficult to take a post seriously when the poster made their account on the very same day as the post, has HORRIBLE grammar, and says they probably won't even be back to respond.

To anyone concerned about the post in question, I would take the opinion of actual, live students on your interview day rather than a nameless, faceless SDN account. We could all be fake for all I know....

Reactions: 2 users

People leave jobs. This can happen for any number of reasons. If the people who left want to comment to the entire class on their reasons for leaving, then the statement might have some kind of foundation. As of now, it does not.

Cheating isn’t cool. It happens, it happens at most academic institutions across the country. Sometimes it’s provable and punishable, sometimes it’s not. There are a lot of variables at play there, and a LOT goes into the decision to ask a student to leave a program.

New building is nice. Definitely a plus.

“Most are slowly starting to leave if they haven’t already.” - This is just false.

No cadavers. Which makes sense, given that everyone at BCOM has been told since day one that there would be a 3rd/4th year elective option…and this is the first semester of 2nd year.

Loans. What has been said, since day one, is that the goal is to have federal loan access by the start of 3rd year. This is the first semester of 2nd year.

“This year for us so far has been terrible honestly.” - Also false, in no way do you speak for the entirety of the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am a second year student at Burrell, and I usually do not write or respond to any posts, as I understand for the most part they are one person’s opinion, and everyone has a right to have their own opinion. However, I feel particularly compelled to respond to this post, as there are numerous statements on here that are incorrect and should be addressed for those who are considering Burrell. I will not refute that there have been some organization hiccups, however, I feel like in year two those come fewer and farther between. However, I whole-heartedly disagree that faculty and staff are blasé about them. Below are the items that are incorrect, much of which can be corroborated simply by a quick google search.

1. 5+ faculty have left: There have been 7 faculty who have left since the start of year one. One faculty member stated from the beginning he was already retired, he simply came on board to assist in the first year because he was excited about the program. One faculty member did not have her contract renewed, and her spouse was on faculty at the school as well, therefore they both moved to another university. There was one faculty member who left in the beginning of year one, however, his job was not a part of the teaching staff (while he was slated to occasionally help out with classes) he was in the residency department. Last year we lost one final faculty after classes ended and she decided to pursue a teaching position for her own personal reasons. In year two we have lost 2 faculty members, one is a scientist who also left for personal reasons, however it should also be stated that this was her first teaching assignment and Burrell has limited research facilities for its faculty right now (that is a coming at a different phase). The final faculty member who left just left as her contract was up and she found a position running several clinics in another state.

2. The students who failed year 1. The students who failed year one would have failed 2 or less blocks and were then allowed 1 month in the summer to remediate those courses and take a challenge exam. They had to pass that challenge exam with a 70 or above in order to be able to proceed to year two. This process is not unlike other medical schools in any way. It should also be noted that some of those students who ‘failed’ year one actually were on a short leave of absence due to illness or personal matters, never took the block during the school year and were therefore making up their leave of absence.

3. I can only speak for class of 2020, but there are only VERY FEW students who are not helpful to the rest of the class. Our class has a Facebook page set up that is dedicated to sharing information among students. Some examples of that information are: one study group consistently made mocks exams in year 1 and posted them before exams (they are still sharing those exams), multiple study spreadsheets have been posted, links and videos on topics, and information on topics regarding usmle/comlex.

4. No fed loans. That is true. I do not refute that aspect. What I refute is that we have been told every year we would get them. Nationally a new school (even state run schools like our neighbor Paul Foster in El Paso) is not accredited until in the third or fourth year of it opening its doors. During that time, no federal loans can be used by their students because federal loans require accreditation. That is a fact that everyone should know, if they are considering any new school at all. However, I would like to give my personal situation on this. I procured a grant of types for year two for a significant amount of money. However, that pay out would not occur until 2 months after the payment deadline. The school was extremely accommodating in working with me on payment, and I did not incur any late fees for their payment being delayed. In fact, they told me they would give me through the entire month of November had I needed it to get the grant money in (an additional 2 months after the expected pay out just in case there were problems as it was my first time getting this money).

I too believe in being fair therefore, I will agree that private room study space is limited. To add to that, parking can sometimes get hectic. However, as the year has progressed it has become less of a problem. There are also no cadavers until year 4. They are utilizing their virtual cadaver tables in year 1 and 2. There are some organization problems, and sometimes we are the guinea pigs. However, when something does not work I believe it is dealt with.

I’d like to give one final note, this original post was made hours after the final for a particularly hard block (IHL 2). The course director did not make that block easier, whom was one of the faculty mentioned above who left. I hope my fellow classmate who wrote this post has had time to decompress since this exam and wish the best of luck not only to my colleague, but also to all of you.

Reactions: 9 users
Just got an II, my app was complete 11/27. Nice to see after a lot of other DO rejections — don’t give up hope.

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted to BCOM for the class of 2022! To my surprise, I absolutely loved the school. Thank you to all of the students (who happen to be on SDN) that popped their heads into the interview room to wish us good luck. And thank you to the student who stopped by for 30+ minutes to give us an in depth account of student life at BCOM. Aside from the obvious things like nonmandatory lecture, spiral curriculum, unranked (?), P/NP, etc. what absolutely made the difference for me was the sense of kinship and community amongst the students and faculty. I am genuinely reconsidering my top choice after visiting BCOM. However, I do have a few questions that I am hoping a current student can answer.

I realize that students haven't started clinicals yet, but to the best of your knowledge...

-How confident do you feel in the school's ability to get you adequate clinical rotations?
-From my understanding, students plan out their 4th year clinicals themselves. Does this concern you?
-What is the likelihood that students can obtain clerkships in different states? Is the school accepting / accommodating of this?
-How much time is spent doing OMM per week? How are the professors who teach it? How confident do you feel doing OMM?
-I didn't get the impression that research was a big deal at BCOM despite the fact that it is emphasized on the webpage. What opportunities do students have to pursue research at BCOM? at NMSU? Or even NMU? How is it supposed to work, why hasn't it panned out? How will this change in the future?
-How safe do you feel in Las Cruces? During the day? At night? I'm thinking of bringing a bike, and I'm wondering how doable it is to bike, especially after dark.
-How prepared do you feel for Boards? Is this a result of the class material? The extra study tools they give you? Outside studying?
-Aside from that one professor / that one class that sucked, or the lack of study space.. Is there anything you would change about the school?

Thank for reading, any input would be much appreciated!

Reactions: 7 users
I was accepted to BCOM for the class of 2022! To my surprise, I absolutely loved the school. Thank you to all of the students (who happen to be on SDN) that popped their heads into the interview room to wish us good luck. And thank you to the student who stopped by for 30+ minutes to give us an in depth account of student life at BCOM. Aside from the obvious things like nonmandatory lecture, spiral curriculum, unranked (?), P/NP, etc. what absolutely made the difference for me was the sense of kinship and community amongst the students and faculty. I am genuinely reconsidering my top choice after visiting BCOM. However, I do have a few questions that I am hoping a current student can answer.

I realize that students haven't started clinicals yet, but to the best of your knowledge...

-How confident do you feel in the school's ability to get you adequate clinical rotations?
-From my understanding, students plan out their 4th year clinicals themselves. Does this concern you?
-What is the likelihood that students can obtain clerkships in different states? Is the school accepting / accommodating of this?
-How much time is spent doing OMM per week? How are the professors who teach it? How confident do you feel doing OMM?
-I didn't get the impression that research was a big deal at BCOM despite the fact that it is emphasized on the webpage. What opportunities do students have to pursue research at BCOM? at NMSU? Or even NMU? How is it supposed to work, why hasn't it panned out? How will this change in the future?
-How safe do you feel in Las Cruces? During the day? At night? I'm thinking of bringing a bike, and I'm wondering how doable it is to bike, especially after dark.
-How prepared do you feel for Boards? Is this a result of the class material? The extra study tools they give you? Outside studying?
-Aside from that one professor / that one class that sucked, or the lack of study space.. Is there anything you would change about the school?

+1 These are some good questions!

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you! I'm interested in this as well. I think we were interviewed at the same time (nov 29)--I was also in the room when a student spent 30 minutes answering questions and discussing student life

Year 1 student here:

This poster is just coming off of a horribly executed IHL II course. A faculty member who had ~ 7 lectures did not come to class and failed to post the material up until the day before the exam. I believe she left on bad terms. I don't blame you for being sour!

For the newcomers here, faculty transitions have been fairly smooth for us 1st years. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There will be some turbulence, but at this point I would expect it to be about the same as an established school, but even for us, it has been manageable. The ride should go a lot smoother for you as the faculty have had time to iron out a lot of kinks in their lectures.

Most of the rotations are wards based and in large cities. You can get a lot of smaller towns/rural rotations if you choose.
This should be a good thing as we aren't forced to take a ton of primary care rotations. I guess if taking an hour or two to plan ahead is too much work...
Depends on the state. We have core sites in Tucson AZ and El Paso, TX.
2.5 hours total. Some are really good, some are bitter they don't get more lecture time. I feel incompetent until the test is over and then I feel like I knew what I was doing.
Research is a required course taught in the 2nd semester. I just dropped in today and asked a faculty member about research, they are all very approachable and happy to lend a guiding hand. NMSU has lots of research opportunities - just need to contact the individual department heads. It hasn't not panned out, they just removed the research requirement to graduate. In the future, the faculty will have more research projects as more faculty is hired.
I feel very safe in Las Cruces, and frequently walk on the NMSU campus both at night and during the day. Some drunk undergrads are here... but whatever. Keep your bike in your house, don't tempt fate! It is safe to bike to school and BCOM has security cameras outside.
1st year so no board prep yet. I feel competent and am not worried about the boards. Kaplan and Firecracker are given, but not required. Some students use First Aid and Uworld, but again this is not required. Your main board prep is your course work, which they very much overprepare you. By A LOT. Our course work is harder and faster than the average medical school. Be prepared to work hard. You have been warned.
Aside from new school growing pains, I'm pretty happy with the way things are going. As for study space, just use NMSU (they have 2 libraries and lots of empty classrooms) or rent from that new apartment complex that's being built for graduate students - they're including lots of study space with BCOM in mind.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Most of the rotations are wards based and in large cities. You can get a lot of smaller towns/rural rotations if you choose.
This should be a good thing as we aren't forced to take a ton of primary care rotations. I guess if taking an hour or two to plan ahead is too much work...
Depends on the state. We have core sites in Tucson AZ and El Paso, TX.
2.5 hours total. Some are really good, some are bitter they don't get more lecture time. I feel incompetent until the test is over and then I feel like I knew what I was doing.
Research is a required course taught in the 2nd semester. I just dropped in today and asked a faculty member about research, they are all very approachable and happy to lend a guiding hand. NMSU has lots of research opportunities - just need to contact the individual department heads. It hasn't not panned out, they just removed the research requirement to graduate. In the future, the faculty will have more research projects as more faculty is hired.
I feel very safe in Las Cruces, and frequently walk on the NMSU campus both at night and during the day. Some drunk undergrads are here... but whatever. Keep your bike in your house, don't tempt fate! It is safe to bike to school and BCOM has security cameras outside.
1st year so no board prep yet. I feel competent and am not worried about the boards. Kaplan and Firecracker are given, but not required. Some students use First Aid and Uworld, but again this is not required. Your main board prep is your course work, which they very much overprepare you. By A LOT. Our course work is harder and faster than the average medical school. Be prepared to work hard. You have been warned.
Aside from new school growing pains, I'm pretty happy with the way things are going. As for study space, just use NMSU (they have 2 libraries and lots of empty classrooms) or rent from that new apartment complex that's being built for graduate students - they're including lots of study space with BCOM in mind.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your response! This was extremely helpful!

Just for some clarification..
-Wrt 3rd year rotations: Are there enough spots for every student at the bigger hospitals? Or do you expect to fight over a few good spots?
-Can you take your elective rotations before you finish ALL of your core rotations? i.e. Internal --> Family --> Elective --> Surgery --> Elective --> Elective --> Peds, etc. Or do all core rotations need to be completed before any electives?
-I assume the core rotations must be done at sites that BCOM is affiliated with (more likely in NM or TX)... Can elective/audition rotations (whether in your 3rd or 4th year) be done out of state e.g. New York, California, Nevada, Virginia, etc.?
-About that new apartment complex.... Any idea what the name is? Or how much it's projected to cost?

Thanks again!

-About that new apartment complex.... Any idea what the name is? Or how much it's projected to cost?

I assume they’re talking about the Horseshoe Village Apartments. I just heard about them after reading that and doing some GoogleFu. It sounds like they just barely broke ground though, so it might not be finished in time for the class entering next fall. (Type “Horseshoe Village Las Cruces” into Google, there’s a good Las Cruces Sun News article about it from May of this year.)

Rent at a place like that I would expect to be in line with The Verge or Casa Bandera, two of the higher-priced apartments near campus, or possibly a little higher since it’s new. I currently pay $800 (rent only, no utilities) at a cheaper place for 3bed/2.5bath if that gives you a better idea of Las Cruces rent prices. Cheapest and most common places to rent for students will be in and around a rectangle between University, Lohman/Amador, El Paseo, and Telshor. Sonoma Ranch (basically everything east of Roadrunner and south of Hwy 70) will have a lot of higher end, but also higher priced places. I don’t know Cruces very well north of downtown (Lohmador/Main area), or Mesilla (west of Valley).

Btw I’m currently in my last year of undergrad at NMSU so if you have any questions about the NMSU campus or Las Cruces, I can try to answer them as best I can!

-Wrt 3rd year rotations: Are there enough spots for every student at the bigger hospitals? Or do you expect to fight over a few good spots?
-Can you take your elective rotations before you finish ALL of your core rotations? i.e. Internal --> Family --> Elective --> Surgery --> Elective --> Elective --> Peds, etc. Or do all core rotations need to be completed before any electives?
-I assume the core rotations must be done at sites that BCOM is affiliated with (more likely in NM or TX)... Can elective/audition rotations (whether in your 3rd or 4th year) be done out of state e.g. New York, California, Nevada, Virginia, etc.?

Thanks again!

Selection of rotation spots are based, as far as I know, on more of your personal preference. The second years I've spoken to seem to be unconcerned, but I honestly don't know that much about it (maybe a second year could chime in?). There should be plenty of spots for everyone - I've heard nothing about poor rotation outcomes.
I'm under the assumption the order is more or less random, either that its first come first serve.
If youre not happy with the outcome, BCOM will work with you to find rotations. However, you have to remain at the same site for a whole year (for your own good - apartment hunting and moving is not feasible once the year has started).
It should be done over the summer, but they have not finalized pricing at this point. I'm thinking it's going to be in the $600-700 range, but who knows.

II today! Dates available tomorrow (haha) and in mid-late January. Complete 11/21

Do you think we will see any wait-list movement this year?

Thanks again!

Wrt 3rd year rotations: Are there enough spots for every student at the bigger hospitals? Or do you expect to fight over a few good spots?
We have rotation hubs in Tuscon, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, El Paso, and Eastern New Mexico. The first 4 sites have students rotating through big hospitals in their respective cities. Eastern New Mexico is comprised of some slightly smaller facilities, but the upside is that these kinds of locations let the med students do a lot more, and a number of us were advised to strongly consider going to Eastern for the better hands-on experience. All the hubs are standardized, so the quality of the rotations should be the same in each hub, meaning there aren't "good spots" or "bad spots." How my class ranked which hub they wanted to go to was almost entirely based on personal preference for where they wanted to live or specific hub characteristics that they felt would get them better experience or networking contacts with regards to specific specialties.

Can you take your elective rotations before you finish ALL of your core rotations? i.e. Internal --> Family --> Elective --> Surgery --> Elective --> Elective --> Peds, etc. Or do all core rotations need to be completed before any electives?
All core rotations need to be completed before you start doing elective rotations. The way this works out is that you spend most of your 3rd year in your assigned hub doing your core rotations, then you spend all of 4th year doing elective and audition rotations.

I assume the core rotations must be done at sites that BCOM is affiliated with (more likely in NM or TX)... Can elective/audition rotations (whether in your 3rd or 4th year) be done out of state e.g. New York, California, Nevada, Virginia, etc.?
Yes, core rotations must be completed within your own hub because those are the ones that BCOM has vetted and done quality control on. On a case by case basis BCOM may allow you to do a core rotation elsewhere, but it's not guaranteed and hinges on BCOM being able to ensure that the out-of-system preceptor will be able to offer an experience that is up to standard. Audition and elective rotations can be done anywhere. That is explicitly the purpose of audition rotations, to go to sites that have residency programs you are interested and let them get to know you.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance here. I'm little bit sad because I really liked this school. Hopefully someone else gets my seat! Good luck everyone.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance here. I'm little bit sad because I really liked this school. Hopefully someone else gets my seat! Good luck everyone.

What caused you to decide to withdraw your acceptance if you don’t mind me askin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I liked the fact that school is new so building is really nice, and all the equipments in SIM lab is brand new! I really love that cost of living is so cheap here at Las Cruces. Tuition is fairly cheap compare to other programs as well.

But it is a newer school, so there are a lots of uncertainties. I'm not doubting the program, but I personally prefer more established programs over newer ones. Also, FAFSA is not available for us until next year, so it seems like we have to take personal loans to cover the tuition fee, but I dont have a good credit score to take out that much loans.

I also want to eventually go back to CA for residency, so I'm trying to go to a school that offers rotations sites in CA.

So can we assume that we can provide the care the patient is seeking? I don't know if this a trick question because as a physician of course it is their duty to provide care to anybody that seeks medical care from them regardless of social background, unless you do not have the tools to do so.

So do we assume that we have the tools, or if not, is discreetly asking us if we would put the patient at jeopardy of deportation if we refer out-of-state or choose not to provide care at all which might drive the patient to leave the state? Is the patient presenting symptoms that require critical care, or is this something that can be managed till we find someone in the state that can provide the medical care or gather the federal resources to provide the care ourselves?

Is this what this question is asking for?

Thanks

I had similar questions and I addressed them in my essay, such as “does the patient require immediate care or have family she could stay with in a different area,” and it worked out. I really think as long as you demonstrate that you are trying to act with the patient’s best interests in mind, then you’ll be ok. Hope that helps!

Just gave up my 1/29 interview here, good luck everyone!

I will be withdrawing acceptance due to acceptance at more established school. However, I did like the school and would have had no qualms about going here.

Anyone interviewing January 26th??
I’m kind of scared cause I feel like I’m just going to get WL or DA

Waitlisted here, interviewed 12/9. can anyone speak of the chances of the waitlist moving?