2017-2018 Case Western Reserve University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Trust me, I want to be incorrect!

Thanks! I've been checking the portal religiously hoping for some good news. Hopefully they let us know sooner rather than later!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it can depend on when your interviews are scheduled. I had a morning and afternoon interview and was finished by 3PM. I do know that a few of the other interviewees had flights for 5, not sure if they made it or not.

thanks for the input! Spirit is significantly cheaper than others, but it's leaving at 5pm sigh lol

Complete since 7/13 and still nothing... I feel like they lost my app or something

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on here get II for College but not University track?

Anyone that already interviewed here have a nice summary of interview day? How was the HEP vs student? Low stress/high stress? Just trying to gauge how interview day will go. Thanks!

Anyone that already interviewed here have a nice summary of interview day? How was the HEP vs student? Low stress/high stress? Just trying to gauge how interview day will go. Thanks!
All low stress. Everyone is super nice and relaxed. Nothing to worry about! Just know your app, be yourself, and you'll be golden.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have an idea when decisions will come out for early October interviews?

Reactions: 1 users
If you get an interview for the college program, do you also most likely get an interview to the university program?

If you get an interview for the college program, do you also most likely get an interview to the university program?

Not necessarily. I’ve seen people on here that have gotten college interviews but were rejected from university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed in early October hear back yet?

Any advice for thank yous to faculty? Mailing vs emailing?

Any advice for thank yous to faculty? Mailing vs emailing?
I sent thank-you emails to both of my interviewers. Not surprisingly, I didn't receive a response but it certainly didn't hurt me either (accepted to the University Program). I would think mailing would also be okay.

I sent thank-you emails to both of my interviewers. Not surprisingly, I didn't receive a response but it certainly didn't hurt me either (accepted to the University Program). I would think mailing would also be okay.

Awesome thank you and congrats!!

Does anyone know how often they release decisions? Interviewed today and just curious.

For those who did send paper thank yous, you did so through the admissions office?

Has anyone called the admissions office to ask about the decisions?

II this morning to University Program!
Email a little after 9 EST, OOS ORM but underprivileged background, complete since mid September, stats in signature. Good luck all!

P.S. Rejected from College Program on portal only, no email, same time.

Edit: This was my signature at the time:
Class of 2022!
MD Schools:
19 cGPA: 3.99 MCAT: 521 LizzyM: 77.9
Pre-II: H 1 | R 8 | WD 3
II 6 | IA 5 | A 2 | WL 1 | R -
Canadian Schools (dual citizen): 4 | R 2 | II 2 | A - | WL -

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have any interview day wisdom they'd be willing to share? What to expect, what format, etc.?

Can any current students share their experiences with how anatomy is taught using VR? Experiences with the TBL curriculum? Step 1 prep or required four month research block? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just called... mid-October people should hear back within the next week but the person I talked said it shouldn't be more than a month, meaning we will not have to wait until December to hear back

Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone have any interview day wisdom they'd be willing to share? What to expect, what format, etc.?
There is a one-on-one faculty interview and a one-on-one interview with a current student, I believe these are generally M2s but I'm not 100% on that. You should expect both to be pretty relaxed, I haven't heard any stories from anyone about being grilled in their interviews here or anything like that, I've only heard good things about the one-on-one interviews. Expect to be asked about different aspects of your application, pretty standard stuff. The rest of the day is like pretty much any other interview day with a tour of the med building and hospital, presentation on financial aid, and some info about the curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students share their experiences with how anatomy is taught using VR? Experiences with the TBL curriculum? Step 1 prep or required four month research block? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
From what I've heard, there will be kind of a crash course at the start of year one in anatomy on cadavers and then after that, it will be mostly taught with lecture and hololens. I believe though that students will still have access to cadavers which they can go in and learn on. Don't quote me on that though, as the transition to using more hololens isn't happening until next year, so I'm not sure on all of the details. That would be a good question to bring up with admin on interview day. I will say that I got to try out the hololens as part of an end of block anatomy review and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. There were things that I found really helpful to see in that medium that clarified some concepts for me. It's a shame they don't let interviewees try it out on interview day, I'm not sure what the reasoning is there.

As far as TBL goes, you have it 4 or 5ish times a block and you meet in a small group of 5 or 6 with several other small groups in the same room. A facilitator will hand out some multiple choice questions and then you decide in your small group what the answers are. Then the whole room goes through each question, with each small group voting on what they think the answers are, followed by discussion. I think they're kind of fun, other people don't like them as much, but either way you only do them a few times a block so it's not a huge part of the curriculum. If you were referring to the case-driven small group learning that happens every week, those are called IQ groups and I'd be happy to answer questions about those as well.

I believe you get 8 weeks of dedicated step 1 time at the end of year 2, and I think most people do the 4 month research block around the beginning of year 4, but I know there's some flexibility there. I can't speak too much to either of those as I am a lowly M1 and haven't quite gotten there yet.

There is a one-on-one faculty interview and a one-on-one interview with a current student, I believe these are generally M2s but I'm not 100% on that. You should expect both to be pretty relaxed, I haven't heard any stories from anyone about being grilled in their interviews here or anything like that, I've only heard good things about the one-on-one interviews. Expect to be asked about different aspects of your application, pretty standard stuff. The rest of the day is like pretty much any other interview day with a tour of the med building and hospital, presentation on financial aid, and some info about the curriculum.
Thank you!

II at 9am sharp! Complete 8/1.

So relieved after 7 weeks of silence

Reactions: 6 users
II at 9am sharp! Complete 8/1.

So relieved after 7 weeks of silence
Damn congrats! Complete on same date so hopefully that means tmw I get some good news. In the same boat brother, been silent for approximately same amount of time rip

Accepted! Early October interview. LM ~ 74. I’m so freaking excited! Good luck to everyone else

Reactions: 8 users
just checked portal, accepted! mid october interview!
edit: also invited to apply for merit scholarship!

Last edited:
Damn congrats! Complete on same date so hopefully that means tmw I get some good news. In the same boat brother, been silent for approximately same amount of time rip
hang in there, it's apparently not over yet! (although if you'd told me that yesterday, I would have rolled my eyes)

also alternate listed, blech
edit: sincere congratulations to those accepted though. and at least the status message/letter is kindly worded.

Last edited:
shortly followed by an invitation to attend their medical humanities and bioethics masters information session. now's not a good time, case

Accepted! :) Interviewed mid-October. I liked Cleveland a lot more than I thought I would -- good luck to those interviewing and on the waitlist!

Reactions: 10 users
II email this morning as well! Complete 8/20, OOS, LM76

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning!! :) Complete 9/6, OOS, LizzyM~72

Interview spots open from Jan 17-31st

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!! With invitation to apply for merit scholarship! Interviewed October 23.

Reactions: 10 users
Can any current students comment on what the application for merit scholarship entails, and how many students receive it?

ACCEPTED!! :) Interviewed end of October

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!! With invitation to apply for merit scholarship! Interviewed October 23.

Hey there! I was just wondering were you were offered the opportunity to apply for merit scholarships? The initial acceptance email? Portal?

Thanks in advance!

Can any current students comment on what the application for merit scholarship entails, and how many students receive it?
If I remember right there's just a few short essay questions that you have to answer. Im not sure exactly how many people are invited to apply, but I feel like I heard somewhere (maybe last years forum?) that the merit scholarship invites go out based off of gpa and mcat