2017-2018 Case Western Reserve University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still nothing I'm assuming I was rejected ☹

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!! interviewed 10/2. Check the portal, I didn't receive a email about it.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone interview October 25th and hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know how many people are waitlisted post interview? Or what percentage of people get off the wait list?

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed mid-October. Have rejections come out for people interviewing around then?

No email and no portal updates. I'm fearing the worst.

I was just put on a pre-interview hold for the university track. I found out from the portal, no email. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems like this late in the season a pre-interview hold is basically a rejection...

I was complete mid-Aug; any hope left to receive a II? LizzyM ~75
Complete mid July and complete silence here.
I am not sure why they don't place us on hold if they don't like our applications.

Accepted! Saw it on the portal, no email yet. Beyond excited, good luck everyone!! :)

For those on here who got the merit application invite with their acceptance, what were your stats like? I know it’s a very small sample but curious to know

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those on here who got the merit application invite with their acceptance, what were your stats like? I know it’s a very small sample but curious to know

ACCEPTED!! So happy about this, didn't receive an email just saw it on the portal! I got the scholarship invitation, not sure how likely it is to get the award since theres still an application...but stats were 3.98 and 521

Members don't see this ad :)
Just put on Alternate List this morning. Found out via email!!

Rejected by the University Program today. Noticed on the portal. No email yet. Still in the running for the College program but I'll probably be rejected there too.

Anyone rejected from the university track but receive an II to the college track? Seems less likely since the college track is more competitive...

Put on hold for now pre-II, just checked portal. Should I basically count this as a rejection?

How many people are in a group on interview day? Anything else future interviewers should be aware of about the flow of the day that stuck out to those of you who have already interviewed?

For those who have interviewed - is the tour all indoors? I'll be interviewing Monday and am wondering whether I should bring my winter coat.

For those who have interviewed - is the tour all indoors? I'll be interviewing Monday and am wondering whether I should bring my winter coat.

Mostly indoors, but we did cut through some paths outside to get from building to building.

I have my interview coming up this week! Case is my #1 choice and I'm super nervous. Any tips or suggestions you all can give me as I prep for the interview?
Eeeek!!!

I have my interview coming up this week! Case is my #1 choice and I'm super nervous. Any tips or suggestions you all can give me as I prep for the interview?
Eeeek!!!
My interview was very conversational. Know your application, personal statement, and story. If you've already been through a traditional (non-MMI) interview or two, you know what to expect already. Be able to talk about why Case is your top choice :)

From what I've heard, there will be kind of a crash course at the start of year one in anatomy on cadavers and then after that, it will be mostly taught with lecture and hololens. I believe though that students will still have access to cadavers which they can go in and learn on. Don't quote me on that though, as the transition to using more hololens isn't happening until next year, so I'm not sure on all of the details. That would be a good question to bring up with admin on interview day. I will say that I got to try out the hololens as part of an end of block anatomy review and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. There were things that I found really helpful to see in that medium that clarified some concepts for me. It's a shame they don't let interviewees try it out on interview day, I'm not sure what the reasoning is there.

As far as TBL goes, you have it 4 or 5ish times a block and you meet in a small group of 5 or 6 with several other small groups in the same room. A facilitator will hand out some multiple choice questions and then you decide in your small group what the answers are. Then the whole room goes through each question, with each small group voting on what they think the answers are, followed by discussion. I think they're kind of fun, other people don't like them as much, but either way you only do them a few times a block so it's not a huge part of the curriculum. If you were referring to the case-driven small group learning that happens every week, those are called IQ groups and I'd be happy to answer questions about those as well.

I believe you get 8 weeks of dedicated step 1 time at the end of year 2, and I think most people do the 4 month research block around the beginning of year 4, but I know there's some flexibility there. I can't speak too much to either of those as I am a lowly M1 and haven't quite gotten there yet.

What my colleague has said here is pretty much spot on. There are some changes happening with the different 3rd year curriculum options, which has surprising resulted in even more flexibility. This basically means that people's 3rd year can look vastly different (some folks can start an early core as soon as April, where the 2nd year has ended at the end of Feb, and others may not start until July). It used to be that research block had to be completed by the end of 3rd year, but as stated, this deadline has now changed to sometime in 4th year (I don't recall the date, however).

For PBL/IQ: You have that 3 times a week (2h each), nearly every week of Years 1 & 2. Mondays you get two cases that are to be discussed on Wednesday and Friday respectively. They're in the format of generating learning objectives, researching those outside of IQ, and then discussing the cases on Wed and Fri respectively. The group is very much self-led, but there is a facilitator (and usually NOT a content expert) present. These are meant to supplement the lecture curriculum as well as the weekly short-essay questions.

As to letting interviewees try out HoloLens: it'd be an administrative nightmare, so I doubt that would happen anytime soon. Unfortunately I don't know much as to the details of what exactly is going to happen for the curriculum, and I'm sure they're still deciding on some of those issues also. I will say that if you do want a hardcore dissection experience, there is a graduate level gross anatomy course that several (~15) medical students have taken in past years (before hololens) that have been very helpful as it goes into more depth than the MD curriculum, although it is extremely time-consuming.

For the Lerner College Program: How are you sending thank you notes? I remember they said email it to the interviewers, but then also upload a PDF to iApply? Like in the update link? That option is very limited and I feel like it updates both programs at the same time... kind of weird

For the Lerner College Program: How are you sending thank you notes? I remember they said email it to the interviewers, but then also upload a PDF to iApply? Like in the update link? That option is very limited and I feel like it updates both programs at the same time... kind of weird

Interesting... I definitely just emailed my interviewers. I remember that they mentioned they preferred electronic thank yous on interview day. I didn't upload to iapply because nothing was said about that on my day. I'd do what they told you to do on your interview day though!

Last edited:
Has anyone placed on pre-II hold received an II lately? Been on hold since July and haven't heard anything since.

Has anyone else who applied in July not heard anything- i.e. no hold, rejection or II??

Reactions: 5 users
It is nice to know I am not alone in this struggle :help:

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea when the committee is meeting to discuss early November interviewees and when we can expect to hear back?

Reactions: 1 users

Just had my II at CCLCM and I distinctly remember them saying to email thank you notes and update on iapply. Did you end up figuring it out?

Just had my II at CCLCM and I distinctly remember them saying to email thank you notes and update on iapply. Did you end up figuring it out?
To be honest, I just sent the emails... I didn't look into the iApply further :shrug:. I got busy and forgot!

Just rejected from the University Program, complete 9/4. This was my top choice, so it definitely stung.

Just rejected from the University Program, complete 9/4. This was my top choice, so it definitely stung.

Rejection on a weekend? That's rough. Did you apply to Lerners?

Question: am I correct I’m assuming that if you’re waitlisted and then accepted, you have basically zero chance of a merit scholarship?

I really loved this school.... waiting for a decision from here is going to be awful....

Rejected post-secondary today via email. Complete mid-October, LM 75.