2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone please share their interview experience and what they thought of the school? I did see a few posts in the thread, but I would love to get some more thoughts. Complete early July, placed on hold a few weeks after that and recently got my II. LM ~ 63-66
Thanks, everyone!

I had an interview in the last couple weeks (I won’t be too specific) and I had an amazing experience. Foggy Bottom is amazing and the school itself is really updated with high tech equipment. All the students I met were really down to earth. They really seem to push their students to get involved in different aspects of DC life outside of normal classes, which I thought was great. Hoping for an acceptance! *fingers crossed*

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Found an II in my spam folder! It was sent on 10/26. I was complete 9/1 and previously placed on hold since 10/1. So for y’all placed on hold there’s still hope!

Reactions: 7 users
When you send an update do you automatically receive an email saying it has been added to your file, or do you get an email the next business day?

Yeah it’s automatic, but definitely send in an update ASAP, I sent mine 6 days before I got the II, so they definitely do help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it’s automatic, but definitely send in an update ASAP, I sent mine 6 days before I got the II, so they definitely do help!

Even though you original hold post sounded a bit entitled, I'm really glad you ended up getting an II.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for answering, but I already sent my update on Monday. Let's see if it works. Did your status change to 'Under Review' before getting your II? Congrats!

Hey guys! Just wondering if GW sent out mass rejections? I've been under re-review for over a month (almost 2) but haven't heard anything.

I don't even know what to say in an update tbh. Not that much has happened in life

Reactions: 1 users
Damn I've updated twice (an award and then a presentation at a national conference + new clinical volunteering position) and it doesn't seem to have affected anything...though I guess I haven't been rejected yet either.

Reactions: 3 users
I just noticed my application was placed on hold. Is that a bad sign? I guess it's not an outright rejection but also not an invite to inerview. Can i do anything to help myself?

I just noticed my application was placed on hold. Is that a bad sign? I guess it's not an outright rejection but also not an invite to inerview. Can i do anything to help myself?

Most people get placed on hold, I was placed on hold and a month later was offered an interview. All you really can do is send updates if you have anything to update on.

Thanks for answering, but I already sent my update on Monday. Let's see if it works. Did your status change to 'Under Review' before getting your II? Congrats!

For me it went straight to saying “The status of you application has changed” then I checked my spam and sure enough the II was there

This may have already been asked, but what percentage of there incoming class is accepted off the waitlist? Also will they tell you your relative waitlist position if you call them?

II! Complete end of July, re-review status for 2 months and sent in update beginning of October.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm. Going. Crazy. I interviewed in early Oct and am dying to hear back. Anyone know where they are in the date range for post-II acceptances/rejections?

II Today! Complete mid/early August

Reactions: 5 users
I'm. Going. Crazy. I interviewed in early Oct and am dying to hear back. Anyone know where they are in the date range for post-II acceptances/rejections?
If it helps, I interviewed late September and haven't heard back yet so they're probably not on October people yet (this is assuming it's chronological). They said decisions take up to 8 weeks so I'm guessing I'll hear mid to late November, and you could hear back as late as early Dec. My advice is to not think about hearing back too much and try to occupy your mind and life with other things. I was like that for another school and was driving myself crazy and felt miserable :/

Hey y'all. Is there a dinner the night before the interview?

II yesterday. Complete mid August and on hold since mid September. MCAT 513 and cGPA 3.6

Reactions: 5 users
II yesterday. Complete mid August and on hold since mid September. MCAT 513 and cGPA 3.6

Nice! I'm hoping to hear back soon. I was complete in late August and I've been on hold since mid-September too. OOS, 512 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, and I'm hoping to end up in Washington, DC.

Nice! I'm hoping to hear back soon. I was complete in late August and I've been on hold since mid-September too. OOS, 512 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, and I'm hoping to end up in Washington, DC.
also to add to this, my file status changed back to under review a day before I got the II. I live in DC currently too

also to add to this, my file status changed back to under review a day before I got the II. I live in DC currently too

Did you guys send updates at all and if so only one etc.?

Would an additional recommendation letter by a physician at my current job be a good update? Placed on hold a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
So I decided not to accept my invitation to matriculate here. Just didn't want to be one of those ppl that holds on to multiple acceptances, knowing that some are not the best fit for me. So hopefully that opens things up for someone else. Good luck, friends!

Reactions: 25 users
So I decided not to accept my invitation to matriculate here. Just didn't want to be one of those ppl that holds on to multiple acceptances, knowing that some are not the best fit for me. So hopefully that opens things up for someone else. Good luck, friends!
bless you sir! I will never understand holding onto an acceptance to a school you know you won't choose over another school you're also accepted to.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m under hold for re-review;what should I expect?

ACCEPTED TO GWU TODAY BY E-MAIL!! I'm elated!! From a neighboring state, interviewed at the very end of September, complete early July, LizzyM 72. Best wishes to everyone else too :)

Reactions: 10 users
ACCEPTED TO GWU TODAY BY E-MAIL!! I'm elated!! From a neighboring state, interviewed at the very end of September, complete early July, LizzyM 72. Best wishes to everyone else too :)
Awesome!!! Told you not to worry!!! So happy for you. (=

Reactions: 1 users
JUST GOT ACCEPTED OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG Interviewed early Oct

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know what percentage of their incoming class gets accepted off the waitlist? I interviewed back in August and was waitlisted so I am just curious about my chances. Thanks and congrats to everyone who was accepted.

If my lab has a manuscript in progress where I am an author (should be completed by the end of the month for submission), is that something worth updating on? Or should I wait until it's actually accepted? I feel like that's a long time to wait as that won't be until December/January... I was put on hold about a month ago now and wanted to give an update. I was also going to send in a letter from my lab PI. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

One of my updates was a giant list of my "manuscripts in preparation", by the end of this year I should have upwards to 10 publications, so a few of the ones I felt the strongest about I included in the list. Its better to show that you have things currently in the works. At least that is my opinion. I am not sure about a letter from your PI, I personally don't put to much stock in req letters because they should all be great you are personally choosing those that will write your letters.

One of my updates was a giant list of my "manuscripts in preparation", by the end of this year I should have upwards to 10 publications, so a few of the ones I felt the strongest about I included in the list. Its better to show that you have things currently in the works. At least that is my opinion. I am not sure about a letter from your PI, I personally don't put to much stock in req letters because they should all be great you are personally choosing those that will write your letters.

I would maybe wait until you submit just so you can say what journal etc., I feel like that would be more substantial.

Question- I had two poster presentations in October- I work full time at one of the HMS affiliated hospitals and had a poster presentation in Dept ABC as well as Dept XYZ.

I thought these were meaningless since they are essentially internal presentations and not a national conference etc., but does anyone think this is worthy of an update since GWU seems to encourage them?

I would also add more about volunteering probably etc.

I would maybe wait until you submit just so you can say what journal etc., I feel like that would be more substantial.

Question- I had two poster presentations in October- I work full time at one of the HMS affiliated hospitals and had a poster presentation in Dept ABC as well as Dept XYZ.

I thought these were meaningless since they are essentially internal presentations and not a national conference etc., but does anyone think this is worthy of an update since GWU seems to encourage them?

I think that especially since this is GW an update wouldn't hurt. I don't see these updates as needing to be these giant accomplishments but more of like letting them know what your upto and how that relates to their mission and how your a good fit for their school. As long as you can tie what your doing now with the mission of the school or with something similar you'd be interested in doing at GW I would update them. GW is very receptive to updates from what I've seen.

II Friday. Submitted early August and was on hold for a month or so. People on-hold don't give up hope!

Reactions: 6 users
II Friday. Submitted early August and was on hold for a month or so. People on-hold don't give up hope!

Just curious, did you submit an update? I've heard this school really likes updates

Accepted today!!! Interviewed late Sept!

Reactions: 13 users
II today!! Submitted an update about a week or so ago... was on hold before that, it definitely didn't hurt me!

Reactions: 6 users
If my lab has a manuscript in progress where I am an author (should be completed by the end of the month for submission), is that something worth updating on? Or should I wait until it's actually accepted? I feel like that's a long time to wait as that won't be until December/January... I was put on hold about a month ago now and wanted to give an update. I was also going to send in a letter from my lab PI. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I would wait for the update about the manuscripts until they are in press or published. The time between submitting a manuscript and getting it published can take a while depending on reviewers if they they want more data. I submitted a letter from my PI about 2 months after I submitted my GWU secondary and got an II a few days ago after being on hold.

II today!!! Complete late August and put on hold early October. I didn't submit any updates. Keep hope alive!

Reactions: 4 users