2017-2018 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's up to you. It is clearly stated to tell something whether professional or personal. You can say anything that you want. Just make sure that if they ask you a question about it on your interview date you can defend yourself. Don't also try to put in all 250 words, be brief and precise because they will be reading out thousands of essays, don't make it harder on them even if it's in 100 words you are ok. Your secondary will not have a huge impact compare to whatever you wrote on your amcas.
I hope that i was able to help.

Thanks, Lamegane! I think I was just nervous talking about something that did not pertain at all to medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received the completion email? On the portal, it says my file is completed this morning, but I have not got any notification either on the "communication status" or via email. Thanks!

I'm not too sure I understand what choices you are referring to but prior to my AMCAS submission I have not indicated any program preference? To be more clear it is for the MD/MSCR program....It was just strange because I didn't indicate any preference for a dual degree but received information to "acquaint me" with the program and application instructions. So I was wondering if this was automatically offered to everyone
According to their website, you can't even apply to the program yet (have to already be enrolled as a first year in their school). Maybe they think you already attend :p

"Applications to PORTAL will be accepted from our first-year students. Successful applicants will begin the program during their second year at ISMMS. Students may also apply during their third year to begin the program during a Scholarly Year."

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received this morning at 10:15, verified June 5. Good luck everyone!

Prompts:

Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life.

Please tell us about a situation in which working collaboratively with others was challenging

Optional: If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional.

Plus be prepared to upload a headshot.
Is it possible to add, if this was for MD or MD-PhD? Thanks.

Me either. I was verified pretty recently but received all of the rest of my secondaries on the same day except for Sinai... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure if there's a point you should call and ask, especially if there wasn't a screen

I never received a "completed" email from Sinai. Were we supposed to? Everything has a green checkmark in my status page. Submitted 7/5.

I never received a "completed" email from Sinai. Were we supposed to? Everything has a green checkmark in my status page. Submitted 7/5.

I recieved "Secondary Application Received" and "Application Complete" emails after submitting my applications. Maybe yours went into your spam folder?

I recieved "Secondary Application Received" and "Application Complete" emails after submitting my applications. Maybe yours went into your spam folder?
Hmm I haven't received anything in my spam either. Maybe I will call them during the timeframe for status check. Thank you!!

Hmm I haven't received anything in my spam either. Maybe I will call them during the timeframe for status check. Thank you!!
I did not receive an "Application Complete" email from them either (though I did get the secondary received one). I've been checking my spam every day so I know it didn't go there either.

I went through and looked for all of my schools and I have received "complete" emails for less than half of them despite the majority of the portals indicating that my application is complete. Is this a big deal? I was thinking that as long as the portal shows I'm complete it shouldn't matter...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did not receive an "Application Complete" email from them either (though I did get the secondary received one). I've been checking my spam every day so I know it didn't go there either.

I went through and looked for all of my schools and I have received "complete" emails for less than half of them despite the majority of the portals indicating that my application is complete. Is this a big deal? I was thinking that as long as the portal shows I'm complete it shouldn't matter...

I got a complete email. Just a heads up.

Reactions: 1 users
I just called the school and they said that if our status is "complete" on our portal, we are fine :)

Is there a specific guideline on which types of letters to send to Icahn? On MSAR it says max is 8 but on the website it only says one science and one non-science prof...

Is there a specific guideline on which types of letters to send to Icahn? On MSAR it says max is 8 but on the website it only says one science and one non-science prof...

I'm sending a committee packet in and I was kind of wondering (even though the requirements won't really apply to me). My guess is somewhere between two and eight?

Bump, has anyone received secondaries yet? I got the complete email on July 15th, so maybe it's too early, but I'm not sure cuz last year people who submitted on the 12th received on August 8th.

Maybe since the season started a week later they will start going out next week?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Odd that no one else has posted here yet, but II earlier this morning!

Reactions: 6 users
II! Very excited about another chance to go to NYC :)

Reactions: 9 users
II for me as well. Complete 7/12

Reactions: 4 users
congrats! youre killing it! What was your complete date?
Thank you! Same to you -- it's awesome seeing you killing it on every school thread! I submitted July 5 -- couldn't find a complete email so I'm assuming that's my date. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all who got an II!

Reactions: 2 users

It was only when I emailed Icahn that I got a response that I was complete and "The email for submitted application did not go out because vendor was updating our system, our apologies" as per admissions so I would email them just to make sure. A part of me is scared they just forgot to put my app in the review pile on time :S lol

Congrats to those who already got a II (though I'm surprised Icahn didn't start sending them earlier)!

Anyone know if Sinai is receptive to in the area notifications? Trying to save some money flying from the west coast lol

Also, for those of you that have already received interviews. What days were available during the week?

Anyone know if Sinai is receptive to in the area notifications? Trying to save some money flying from the west coast lol

Also, for those of you that have already received interviews. What days were available during the week?
There's a thread about this topic. I remember Sinai is one of the non-receptive schools. I did not test it out myself, so please ask more people to make sure.

There's a thread about this topic. I remember Sinai is one of the non-receptive schools. I did not test it out myself, so please ask more people to make sure.

I called them and they actually said they are receptive to in the area notifications! I sent them an email, and they followed up within the hour saying that they have included my travel plans in my file.

This may seem stupid, but is a masters degree considered post-baccalaureate, or is that just referring to additional courses (i.e. undergraduate courses) taken after conferring a bachelors degree?

This may seem stupid, but is a masters degree considered post-baccalaureate, or is that just referring to additional courses (i.e. undergraduate courses) taken after conferring a bachelors degree?
A PhD is not a post bacc

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They're additional undergraduate level classes taken after receiving a bachelor's degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know which airport is best to fly in to for Mt. Sinai?

Does anyone know which airport is best to fly in to for Mt. Sinai?

I personally vouch for Newark EWR because the trains send you directly to the city and it is the biggest of all the airports so less congestion, plus la guardia is remodeling to expand so it might be a little messy over there. PM for train details if youre planning in staying over in the city.

I personally vouch for Newark EWR because the trains send you directly to the city and it is the biggest of all the airports so less congestion, plus la guardia is remodeling to expand so it might be a little messy over there. PM for train details if youre planning in staying over in the city.
I would recommend Newark. As the guy above me mentioned, LaGuardia isn't convenient right now.

Thanks y'all!