2017-2018 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t see Sinai mentioned in that post?

Misread Mi St at Mt Si. My bad, nerves are getting to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Now we are all suspicious of you @Michelle Faux Fur
I'm only relaying what an interviewer told me in an email update. Dean Parkas confirmed that alternates are a highly ranked applicants, that spots for the incoming class are currently full, and they are waiting for people to withdraw before offering spots to top candidates on the waitlist. I am still an alternate and have not been accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm only relaying what an interviewer told me in an email update. Dean Parkas confirmed that alternates are a highly ranked applicants, that spots for the incoming class are currently full, and they are waiting for people to withdraw before offering spots to top candidates on the waitlist. I am still an alternate and have not been accepted.

Well that's upsetting. I feel like this year there has been significantly less waitlist movement than prior years. Oh well!

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm I am confused by the confirmation that all of the alternates are highly ranked because I thought everyone who was not accepted was placed on the alternate list.
I would imagine that verbage was meant to be something to the extent of a proverbial pat on the back -- meaning that even getting on the waitlist is an accomplishment to be proud of?

I would imagine that verbage was meant to be something to the extent of a proverbial pat on the back -- meaning that even getting on the waitlist is an accomplishment to be proud of?
Maybe. But it’s likely more of a pat on the back for getting an interview since no one has been rejected post II. We are all sitting on the same alternate list.
What I find strange is how there was a flurry of people withdrawing a couple of weeks ago yet no wl movement. I winder wbat would have happened had they not withdrawn.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's still too soon to tell, gang.
Previous years' posters got off the list as late as June. I imagine it'll take the adcom some time to evaluate letters of intent and do another round of review of all remaining candidates.

The fact that a few SDNers reported withdrawing and nobody has been accepted post April 30 is a reassuring sign. Let's give it another 3-4 weeks, and then start panicking.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, just to give y'all some reassurances based on FB group size:

I was originally accepted back in December but decided to withdraw. at least 5+ people I know for sure that withdrew are still in the FB group and haven't left so don't let take anything from the number in the group.

Reactions: 4 users
@mstp

Do you have any reason to believe this? See above for some disturbing news we got today namely that the process has started.
"The process has started" could mean reviewing apps, doesn't mean any acceptances were sent out. I'm still not convinced that there happened to be someone who posts on SDN who was accepted the day of/after they officially put people on the WL and then no one else since then. Yes, it's a small pool, and if one person posted a couple days ago I'd say that poster was being delusional but the timing + the numbers just smells fishy to me.

The "accepted student" has 3 posts to his/her name and hasn't posted anything since then.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, just to give y'all some reassurances based on FB group size:

I was originally accepted back in December but decided to withdraw. at least 5+ people I know for sure that withdrew are still in the FB group and haven't left so don't let take anything from the number in the group.
Also, there are always current students in those groups and it's not like you have to send in your acceptance letter to join the group - anyone can join.

"The process has started" could mean reviewing apps, doesn't mean any acceptances were sent out. I'm still not convinced that there happened to be someone who posts on SDN who was accepted the day of/after they officially put people on the WL and then no one else since then. Yes, it's a small pool, and if one person posted a couple days ago I'd say that poster was being delusional but the timing + the numbers just smells fishy to me.

The "accepted student" has 3 posts to his/her name and hasn't posted anything since then.

Can’t even find the post anymore. Can you link it.

Not a good year for the WL movement at the schools I'm listed on :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Can’t even find the post anymore. Can you link it.
2017-2018 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

EDIT: If I want to give the poster the benefit of the doubt that they are not lying, the only explanation that makes sense (because MD/PhD admissions used to work this way, don't know if MD does currently) is that the person was interviewed and post interview they scored such that the committee decided they would revisit their application again after more interviews and they were accepted on that 2nd review. That's not the same thing as getting in off the waitlist though.

I just got accepted! Email from admissions at ~1:00 PM this afternoon.

Reactions: 13 users
Congratulations! Did you send a letter of intent?

I didn't send a letter of intent or any updates (mainly because I didn't have anything to update them on). The waitlist is 100% tiered though, when I was put on the waitlist in late March the email from admissions said:

"The Committee voted to place you on the high wait list. This means that we remain extremely interested in having you join us at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai as soon as positions become available, which we expect will happen in the beginning of May."

I didn't send a letter of intent or any updates (mainly because I didn't have anything to update them on). The waitlist is 100% tiered though, when I was put on the waitlist in late March the email from admissions said:

"The Committee voted to place you on the high wait list. This means that we remain extremely interested in having you join us at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai as soon as positions become available, which we expect will happen in the beginning of May."

That must have been super reassuring to receive!
I was hit with the alternate list e-mail. Makes me wonder how many of us are interested and how many spots they will open up.

Welp! I guess it isn't beginning just yet for some of us cos my email didn't have any of those exciting words on it.

This is the first I've heard of anyone waitlisted getting an email saying anything other than "alternate list." There must not be many people on this "we want to accept you but we're playing hard to get" list.

Reactions: 3 users
This is the first I've heard of anyone waitlisted getting an email saying anything other than "alternate list." There must not be many people on this "we want to accept you but we're playing hard to get" list.
Yes, this was news to me to see that someone received an e-mail like that.

Sigh throwing in the towel.

The email sounds a lot like the UMichigan tiered waitlist emails where those who arent on high priority list have no chance of getting in

Werent we reassured like 10 million times that there was only 1 alternate list?!?? Does anyone else remember that some other guy claimed to get a waitlist email and current students told us this didnt exist?!?

Just called to ask about the waitlist and they said:
  1. It is ranked
  2. The office however doesn't have any information about who ranks where
  3. The waitlist is currently moving
  4. Be patient because it will be moving from now all the way to the first week of August. Which is their matriculation date.

Just called to ask about the waitlist and they said:
  1. It is ranked
  2. The office however doesn't have any information about who ranks where
  3. The waitlist is currently moving
  4. Be patient because it will be moving from now all the way to the first week of August. Which is their matriculation date.
Well that’s unfortunate. Good luck to those who can wait and out their lives on hold til august!

Congratulations! That's very exciting!

Dear Sinai, why you gotta play us like that man? How about a little more transparency?

We need some wisdom here. @MSTPlease what say you about this previously unknown special waitlist???

Hot take: Waitlist are worse than waiting for post-interview decisions

Reactions: 4 users
Last year I was accepted in the first week after traffic day after being on the standard alternate list that everyone got. I was not aware of a different ‘priority’ list

Last year I was accepted in the first week after traffic day after being on the standard alternate list that everyone got. I was not aware of a different ‘priority’ list
Hmmmmm Could this be the first year they are doing it?

Ugh with ranked waitlists, it means our fate has already been predetermined based on where we sit

I know some med schools with ranked waitlists will let you know if you have a shot at getting in so you can move forward accordingly. Wish Sinai could be more transparent in that respect

Hmmmmm Could this be the first year they are doing it?
The waitlist has always been undoubtedly ranked in some sense (tiered, grouped etc.). the different/new phrasing in the email is the only thing surprising to me

Last edited:
Could this priority waitlist thing be only for MD/PhD candidates?

The posters didn't indicate, but it's not out of the question. I checked the waitlist tracker someone generated on Reddit, and there was an entry indicating admission off the waitlist for the MD/PhD program on May 8th. I would not be surprised if they are prioritizing MD/PhD waitlists first, but of course, we have no way of actually knowing.

The posters didn't indicate, but it's not out of the question. I checked the waitlist tracker someone generated on Reddit, and there was an entry indicating admission off the waitlist for the MD/PhD program on May 8th. I would not be surprised if they are prioritizing MD/PhD waitlists first, but of course, we have no way of actually knowing.
Here’s to keeping hope alive, then

This is a very reasonable explanation for the language difference in the emails. I’ve definitely heard the language of “high waitlist” vs “waitlist” for MD/PhD for years. We used to invite the high waitlist people to our revisit (which I believe was the main reason for the designation) but stopped a few years ago because it was really awkward to balance kids in two really different situations. I believe we have a separate event for them still which would explain perpetuating the distinction.

This is a very reasonable explanation for the language difference in the emails. I’ve definitely heard the language of “high waitlist” vs “waitlist” for MD/PhD for years. We used to invite the high waitlist people to our revisit (which I believe was the main reason for the designation) but stopped a few years ago because it was really awkward to balance kids in two really different situations. I believe we have a separate event for them still which would explain perpetuating the distinction.
You are like a really favorite person of mine lately.

If you mind me asking, are you regular MD or MD/PhD?

Planning to reapply. Does someone know if/how I can get feedback on my application?

they're ranked
Ahh, okay, thanks. Do you think there's a point in sending an email reiterating that I'm still interested in them or no? I just don't want my silence to make them think I'm not interested when I am.

Ahh, okay, thanks. Do you think there's a point in sending an email reiterating that I'm still interested in them or no? I just don't want my silence to make them think I'm not interested when I am.

I see where you're coming from. Have you uploaded a letter of intent? If your letter/message was pretty emphatic and gave solid reasons for wanting to attend, then I'd say you've covered your bases. Not much else to do but wait... #sameboat

I see where you're coming from. Have you uploaded a letter of intent? If your letter/message was pretty emphatic and gave solid reasons for wanting to attend, then I'd say you've covered your bases. Not much else to do but wait... #sameboat
Thanks for the reply! I did, so I guess I'll just wait :''') I wish they would give us ranking number or something so we would know.