2017-2018 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At second look, they told me only 3 accepted students had qualified for the max amount of need-based scholarship! And, 30 grand is still pretty low compared to what other schools are offering, I received substantial need-based grants at every other private school I was accepted to, but nothing from Sinai.

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools are you specifically talking about, is it also solely need based?
I received both merit and need aid at all the schools I got into - and I know people who have negotiated their packages up by a lot, which means these schools have money to play with.

There is an article in the NEJM about merit aid as a retention initiative in the top 20 schools. Given how common it is nowadays, I just find it odd Mt Sinai doesn't play that game either. I know Harvard doesn't do that either really, but almost every other school does.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received both merit and need aid at all the schools I got into - and I know people who have negotiated their packages up by a lot, which means these schools have money to play with.

There is an article in the NEJM about merit aid as a retention initiative in the top 20 schools. Given how common it is nowadays, I just find it odd Mt Sinai doesn't play that game either. I know Harvard doesn't do that either really, but almost every other school does.
Well that just means they probably are not worried about retention...or don't have the budget for it. Which is really sad.

There is an argument that merit aid is actually detrimental as a whole as it diverts resources from students with more financial need to those with less need.

NEJM

Reactions: 4 users
There is an argument that merit aid is actually detrimental as a whole as it diverts resources from students with more financial need to those with less need.

NEJM
Yup that is the article I was referring to. Totally agree - it all seems a little opaque and arbitrary, and really unfortunate when people need aid. These are not small numbers when it comes to med school!

Yup that is the article I was referring to. Totally agree - it all seems a little opaque and arbitrary, and really unfortunate when people need aid. These are not small numbers when it comes to med school!
On one hand, I feel schools should be free to use their resources however they like to attract whichever students they like, but something feels a bit off when the average indebtedness is so high. Obviously, this is not an easy problem to remedy.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody called to ask when things will move?

Reactions: 1 users
So I called and the gentleman says they’ve already begun accepting off the waitlist, but maybe he’s just referring to that one dude who got off like 3 weeks ago

Reactions: 3 users
"Sir, you misunderstood my question, when are you accepting me off the waitlist?"

Reactions: 7 users
So I called and the gentleman says they’ve already begun accepting off the waitlist, but maybe he’s just referring to that one dude who got off like 3 weeks ago
I don't mean anything against the admissions office staff but it seems like sometimes they are not quite in sync with what the adcom is doing....

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If there's anything more neurotic than checking SDN, there's checking the accepted student FB group. ~10 people joined since about 3 weeks ago...so maybe the guy's right? Actually nah, I like the idea that that one SDN person is the only one accepted so far a lot better lol.

Also from past years, it seems that people are very quiet about announcing WL acceptances. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure if I'd believe that ~100 people are accepted from WLs at schools like NYU if the msar didn't confirm it.

If there's anything more neurotic than checking SDN, there's checking the accepted student FB group. ~10 people joined since about 3 weeks ago...so maybe the guy's right? Actually nah, I like the idea that that one SDN person is the only one accepted so far a lot better lol.

Also from past years, it seems that people are very quiet about announcing WL acceptances. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure if I'd believe that ~100 people are accepted from WLs at schools like NYU if the msar didn't confirm it.
NYU is full of mysteries my god.... 100ppl from WL no way

They probably accepted that many people but the people the choose decided to go elsewhere. Especially when NYU is looking for people who have their median mcat. You are going to be competing for the students at other top tier institutions for people that can perform that well.

They probably accepted that many people but the people the choose decided to go elsewhere. Especially when NYU is looking for people who have their median mcat. You are going to be competing for the students at other top tier institutions for people that can perform that well.
just as anecdote, I have a 3.9+ gpa w/ 520+ MCAT and i'm still on the waitlist for NYU and Sinai :(

100 does sound waaay too high. Meanwhile, NYU says

"Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Approximately 600

Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist

Waitlist procedures and information
Applicants are notified of their waitlist status in late January/early February. Applicants can be accepted from the waitlist up until the first day of orientation in August."

100 does sound waaay too high. Meanwhile, NYU says

"Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Approximately 600

Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist

Waitlist procedures and information
Applicants are notified of their waitlist status in late January/early February. Applicants can be accepted from the waitlist up until the first day of orientation in August."
Where's the 'dislike' button?

This makes me sad because since no one on sdn has reported getting in, (except that one guy who got in like the day after the wl email) I ve been happily deluding myself thinking they havent started pulling from the wl yet.

Reactions: 6 users

Do you know How many are accepted from Sinai’s wl?

This makes me sad because since no one on sdn has reported getting in, (except that one guy who got in like the day after the wl email) I ve been happily deluding myself thinking they havent started pulling from the wl yet.

Hey! So I too am waiting on several top 20 wait lists and haven't even been accepted anywhere yet. However, I wanted to make this post.

When it comes to large sample sizes like we have in med school applications, it would be quite rare to see extremely large fluctuations in the number of people accepted year to year. So, last year for Icahn, 1046 people were interviewed, 457 were accepted, and 140 enrolled (stats from usnews and comparable to years prior if my memory serves me well). This means that 3.26x the class size was accepted overall. We have usually heard that Icahn is fairly conservative on their initial acceptances, so it would be very hard to see them accepting over 200 people initially (it would not make sense to accept way over the top, initially). This means that ~250 people will come off the wait list at some point.

Your next question is probably, "Well, what if this year is different?" To answer that question we have to ask ourselves, "What has changed this year?" If we look at trends from over the last decade we find that Icahn has hovered around its current rank (18) for a decade, so there is nothing to examine here (unlike NYU which has jumped from the mid 30s to 3 in the past decade). Yes, more people are applying to medical school and the class sizes are not getting any bigger so there will be slightly more selectivity each year (though it would be EXTREMELY unlikely that this would reduce 457 acceptances to some number like 300). In terms of financial aid, we are hearing that it is anything but phenomenal this year from Icahn, so, if anything, more people would decline the acceptance making them accept more people. Lastly, there has been talk that they are increasing the number of flexmed spots per class, though I doubt that number would skyrocket from one year to another though this may have an impact which brings the 457 number down to something around 415 (just my guess).

So, what should you takeaway from all of this? There is a very low probability that wait list movement will be any different this year than it has been for years in the past. I myself have found it very hard to keep waiting (esp. because I'm on a few top tier wait lists and haven't gotten into any school yet), but it's the only option as of now!

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey! So I too am waiting on several top 20 wait lists and haven't even been accepted anywhere yet. However, I wanted to make this post.

When it comes to large sample sizes like we have in med school applications, it would be quite rare to see extremely large fluctuations in the number of people accepted year to year. So, last year for Icahn, 1046 people were interviewed, 457 were accepted, and 140 enrolled (stats from usnews and comparable to years prior if my memory serves me well). This means that 3.26x the class size was accepted overall. We have usually heard that Icahn is fairly conservative on their initial acceptances, so it would be very hard to see them accepting over 200 people initially (it would not make sense to accept way over the top, initially). This means that ~250 people will come off the wait list at some point.

Your next question is probably, "Well, what if this year is different?" To answer that question we have to ask ourselves, "What has changed this year?" If we look at trends from over the last decade we find that Icahn has hovered around its current rank (18) for a decade, so there is nothing to examine here (unlike NYU which has jumped from the mid 30s to 3 in the past decade). Yes, more people are applying to medical school and the class sizes are not getting any bigger so there will be slightly more selectivity each year (though it would be EXTREMELY unlikely that this would reduce 457 acceptances to some number like 300). In terms of financial aid, we are hearing that it is anything but phenomenal this year from Icahn, so, if anything, more people would decline the acceptance making them accept more people. Lastly, there has been talk that they are increasing the number of flexmed spots per class, though I doubt that number would skyrocket from one year to another though this may have an impact which brings the 457 number down to something around 415 (just my guess).

So, what should you takeaway from all of this? There is a very low probability that wait list movement will be any different this year than it has been for years in the past. I myself have found it very hard to keep waiting (esp. because I'm on a few top tier wait lists and haven't gotten into any school yet), but it's the only option as of now!

This is my favorite post of the entire cycle!

Based on how much information and comfort you just provided a despairing waitlisted applicant, you are going to have incredible bedside manner when you are a doctor! Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users

damn i genuinely hope you get in over me now. best of my luck my dude

FlexMed is ~60 people FYI

Where did you get that number? I thought FlexMed was ~1/3 of the class but I could be wrong
I took a look at the 2016 flexmed thread and it looks like they accepted 57. So if everyone has stuck with it, then there would be 57 seats taken by them.

Where did you get that number? I thought FlexMed was ~1/3 of the class but I could be wrong

That’s what they told me when I interviewed for it. They’re increasing it slowly until it’s eventually 50% of the class.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but FlexMed applicants who are accepted this cycle won't be enrolling for another couple of years any way. In other words, none of us on the alternate list are competing for a spot in the class of 2022 with FlexMed applicants accepted now.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I'm wrong, but FlexMed applicants who are accepted this cycle won't be enrolling for another couple of years any way. In other words, none of us on the alternate list are competing for a spot in the class of 2022 with FlexMed applicants accepted now.

What does that have to do with anything

What does that have to do with anything

There's just been a lot of discussion about how Mount Sinai is trying to increase the amount of FlexMed students in their class, but the FlexMed class of 2022 was already decided about 2 years ago. If this is the case, and the AdCom has only recently considered increasing the amount of FlexMed students in their class to 50%, it seems reasonable to assume that the class of 2022 will likely continue to be about 1/3 FlexMed students. But then again I'm also assuming this decision to increase the FlexMed students to half is a relatively recent one.

Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say...

There's just been a lot of discussion about how Mount Sinai is trying to increase the amount of FlexMed students in their class, but the FlexMed class of 2022 was already decided about 2 years ago. If this is the case, and the AdCom has only recently considered increasing the amount of FlexMed students in their class to 50%, it seems reasonable to assume that the class of 2022 will likely continue to be about 1/3 FlexMed students. But then again I'm also assuming this decision to increase the FlexMed students to half is a relatively recent one.

Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say...

I see what you're trying to get at. I think the ~60 students accepted refers to the incoming Flexmed Class of 2022 as opposed to the # of students accepted to Flexmed this year (which could be more for all we know!). Digging around the older 2016 FlexMed thread, it appeared that ~60 students were accepted that year into the program

FlexMed is ~60 people FYI
FlexMed may have accepted 60 students in a prior year, but that does not mean that all 60 of those students end up matriculating at Sinai. Many choose to take a gap year(s) before starting medical school. For reference, the current first year class only has 34 FlexMed students in it, which is a similar number to previous years.

Sinai's total enrollment is 561 MD students, meaning ~140 per year. If that's the case, and there are 55 flexmed students, then doesn't that mean there are only 85 regular MD seats available? I get that some flexmed students take gap years, but think about how the number of people taking gap years may be consistent between classes, meaning that gap year students of Flexmed Class of 2021, and directly matriculating students of Flexmed 2022 will combine to around the same number of admitted flexmed seats.

I honestly doubt it'll have any bearing on waitlist movement since there's been consistent movement in May for the 2016 and 2017 cycles, just my two cents on flexmed.

Sinai's total enrollment is 561 MD students, meaning ~140 per year. If that's the case, and there are 55 flexmed students, then doesn't that mean there are only 85 regular MD seats available? I get that some flexmed students take gap years, but think about how the number of people taking gap years may be consistent between classes, meaning that gap year students of Flexmed Class of 2021, and directly matriculating students of Flexmed 2022 will combine to around the same number of admitted flexmed seats.

I honestly doubt it'll have any bearing on waitlist movement since there's been consistent movement in May for the 2016 and 2017 cycles, just my two cents on flexmed.

Yup

I'm not convinced your line of thinking is delusional

Reactions: 5 users
I just called and asked if they have begun pulling from the waitlist post April 30th deadline and she said "the process has begun and continues until matriculation day".
Well that's disappointing and I still wonder why no one has reported it here except that one person.

Well that's disappointing and I still wonder why no one has reported it here except that one person.

I think the more appropriate question to ask is if class is already full and they are just taking from the WL when a seat opens up

This is exactly what is happening.
237 students in the facebook group so that indicates the class is MORE than full.

Here's what I don't understand. so some kind soul please explain. It's now a week after traffic day. I could see a couple of seats opening up as people are pulled off other waitlists but it seems to me that would just be a trickle. Which is no Bueno for all of us.

237 students in the facebook group so that indicates the class is MORE than full.

Here's what I don't understand. so some kind soul please explain. It's now a week after traffic day. I could see a couple of seats opening up as people are pulled off other waitlists but it seems to me that would just be a trickle. Which is no Bueno for all of us.
A lot of those people are current students. Also some of those people are in multiple accepted student groups (I’m not a stalker I promise) but I presume they’ve already withdrawn and have just stayed in the social media groups.

Not everyone has or uses SDN, isn’t it a relatively small minority of applicants?
Yes of course but most other threads have at least a couple of people reporting. And this has been a pretty active thread.

Edit: whoops, my bad

g̶y̶n̶g̶y̶n̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶W̶L̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶S̶i̶n̶a̶i̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶

Last edited: