2017-2018 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OKAY, after talking to an actual Wells Fargo representative, I guess both my assumptions were incorrect. Here's what they told me:
You don't have to make any payments if you're in school. There is a 36-month grace period after you graduate. If you are in a residency longer than 36 months, you can apply for forbearance on a case-by-case basis. Interest accrues daily from the moment you take out the loan. The accrued interest is capitalized onto the principle when you begin repayment.

If you borrow 65k per year at an interest rate of 7.24%, interest accrues based on the principle borrowed amount daily:
Therefore, at the end of PGY-3 (i.e. end of residency):
65k borrowed at OMS-1 would accrue $32,942.00 interest
65k borrowed at OMS-2 would accrue $28,236.00 interest
65k borrowed at OMS-3 would accrue $23,530.00 interest
65k borrowed at OMS-4 would accrue $18,824.00 interest
The interest accrued is capitalized onto the principle of 260k (65k x 4), and the new principle is $363,532.

10-year repayment: $4,266.02 monthly ($51,192.22 annually)
15-year repayment: $3,316.50 monthly ($39,798.00 annually)
20-year repayment: $2,871.07 monthly ($34,452.81 annually)

If you compare this to federal loans, the total debt will be about the same, maybe even less for private due to the origination fee of the federal loan. And some of you with cosigners may actually get very competitive interest rates.

If you compare this to IBR, PAYE, and REPAYE which have an average repayment period of 20 years and 10% of income, it doesn't matter what type of loan (private or federal) you take if you're a high paying specialty (>340k). However, with lower paying specialties like FM, which probably half of us will go into, a federal loan is probably the better option.
This is very helpful. Thx for passing on info

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to schools this June and will be applying to ICOM. Can anyone enlighten me on a few things ..
1. Has ICOM solidified any places for clinical education?
2. Are there any residency positions in Idaho? .. Boise?
3. Does a medical school not get "accredited" until a class graduates? What are the standards it needs to pass to be accredited?

Thanks so much.

Other people could probably answer some of theses questions better, but I’ll give it a go.
1) ICOM says it has solidified more than enough places for their students to rotate. This is over the five state region though, not just Idaho. Maybe people who have interviewed can elaborate on locations.
2) There are few residencies in Idaho. Pretty much all of them are family med. Boise/Nampa, Pocatello, Jerome, Coeur d’Alene, and Idaho Falls are the locations if I’m not mistaken. There is a psych residency through UW where about half the time is spent in Seattle and half in Boise.
3) No idea

I am applying to schools this June and will be applying to ICOM. Can anyone enlighten me on a few things ..
1. Has ICOM solidified any places for clinical education?
2. Are there any residency positions in Idaho? .. Boise?
3. Does a medical school not get "accredited" until a class graduates? What are the standards it needs to pass to be accredited?

Thanks so much.

In answer to your 3rd question, when I interviewed there they said that they would receive accreditation status on the 4th year prior to the class graduating. Meaning that if everything goes according to plan, we (the inaugural class) will graduate from an accredited institution. The standards for accreditation are posted on the Commission of Osteopathic College Accreditation's (COCA) website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Got the alternate list email and sent an email back to admissions to confirm my spot - anyone know how that is going to work? I may have misinterpreted things, but from the sounds of it during the interview the waitlist is a large pool that they draw from rather than an actual ranking system. Did anyone else get this impression or can anyone provide some clarification? Just want to have a better idea before emailing them and asking if I have an actual number.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Got the alternate list email and sent an email back to admissions to confirm my spot - anyone know how that is going to work? I may have misinterpreted things, but from the sounds of it during the interview the waitlist is a large pool that they draw from rather than an actual ranking system. Did anyone else get this impression or can anyone provide some clarification? Just want to have a better idea before emailing them and asking if I have an actual number.

I am also trying to figure this out. When I called I wasn't able to find out much information about the waitlist. If you find out any more, please let us know!

Reactions: 1 user
Will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Loans scared me away :(. Good luck to the inaugural class here though! I'm rooting for you!

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Loans scared me away :(. Good luck to the inaugural class here though! I'm rooting for you!
If you got another acceptance, GREAT! But if you don't, IMO you shouldn't withdraw just because of loans. Sure private loans can be scary, but you will be ok as long as you don't fail your boards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
If you got another acceptance, GREAT!. But if you don't, IMO you shouldn't withdraw just because of loans. Sure private loans can be scary, but you will be ok as long as you don't fail your boards.

I have another acceptance that I have decided to go with. Thank you for you advice though! It was a hard decision because I love Idaho, but I can always come back after school :). Take good care of my state!

Reactions: 3 users
Holy....I got approved for Wells Fargo, fixed interest rate is 9.74%. No cosigner, but my credit score is like mod 700s...Sallie mae said they need 24 to 48 hours to decide.

What are you guys getting for interest? I am not liking this situation.

Holy....I got approved for Wells Fargo, fixed interest rate is 9.74%. No cosigner, but my credit score is like mod 700s...Sallie mae said they need 24 to 48 hours to decide.

Why is it so high? I got 7.24%, but I'm hoping for some discounts by doing automatic withdrawal and opening up an account with them. Nearly 10% is hiiigh

That rate is very high. That's pretty much personal loan rate I can get almost anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was able to get 6.99% fixed with wells fargo. I was initiallt quoted 7.24% and got 0.25% for having an account with them.

Did you sign up for sallie mae without a cosigner? Because they straight up rejected me w/o a cosigner.

No cosigner, but my credit score is like mod 700s
Is that the score they told you or you have checked yourself. There are many different scores, often the score you see can be way different than what they use.

Also, its not only the score they go by, but also details about your credit history like type of loans you had any missed payments, length of credit history, current loan balances and more.

Yeah idk. I have no red flags on my credit, 740-750 credit score. Really hoping Sallie Mae gives me a lower rate.

I was able to get 6.99% fixed with wells fargo. I was initiallt quoted 7.24% and got 0.25% for having an account with them.

Did you sign up for sallie mae without a cosigner? Because they straight up rejected me w/o a cosigner.
6.99% I think is the lowest you can get at WF for the best credit and best circumstances.

I am long member of WF.

Is that the score they told you or you have checked yourself. There are many different scores, often the score you see can be way different than what they use.

Also, its not only the score they go by, but also details about your credit history like type of loans you had any missed payments, length of credit history, current loan balances and more.

Yeah I have checked my score myself before even applying and it was 740 to 750 with the diff credit bureaus.
Also only loan I have taken out was for a car, which was for 5 years and I never missed a payment on it and have paid it off a few years ago. No red flags anywhere.

Yeah I have checked my score myself before even applying and it was 740 to 750 with the diff credit bureaus.
Also only loan I have taken out was for a car, which was for 5 years and I never missed a payment on it and have paid it off a few years ago. No red flags anywhere.
The score you saw is not necessarily the score they will use.

I have FICO membership and there are about 8 or so different scores and they can differ by as much as 50 points.

When I was buying a house, the score the lender used was 40 points lower than the one I seen on Credit Karma or FICO monitoring.

Same thing happened to my friend when he was buying a car.

So, keep that in mind.

I just checked myFICO and there are 9 versions and highest is 794 and lowest is 728, while the score that I always see is like 772.

The score you saw is not necessarily the score they will use.

I have FICO membership and there are about 8 or so different scores and they can differ by as much as 50 points.

When I was buying a house, the score the lender used was 40 points lower than the one I seen on Credit Karma or FICO monitoring.

Same thing happened to my friend when he was buying a car.

So, keep that in mind.

Gotcha. I am going to call and ask them whats up tho.

Yeah idk. I have no red flags on my credit, 740-750 credit score. Really hoping Sallie Mae gives me a lower rate.

I refused to apply for Wells Fargo. I went with Sallie Mae and got quoted for 7.50% with fixed repayment of $25/mo while in school.

Do we have to have a decision in by today whether we are attending or not?

Just withdrew my acceptance, it was a tough choice because I’m sure this will be a great school! Good luck everyone

Do we have to have a decision in by today whether we are attending or not?
No, not in general. Today is the day that AMCAS schools require applicants to get down to only one acceptance. ICOM is not AMCAS/MD so it does not have to have its acceptees comply with this rule. So if you have more than one MD acceptance, you'll have to get down to just one MD acceptance. But if ICOM has told you to accept by today, that's another question.

Last edited:
Ayyyeeee quick update:

My Bae Sallie Bae came through. I got approved for 7.4% with them and even a bit lower if I choose a certain repayment plan. This was without a cosigner too. Idk what was up with Wells Fargo and that 9.74%.....but I am going with Sallie Bae.

Being in debt never felt so good :cool::cool:

Ayyyeeee quick update:

My Bae Sallie Bae came through. I got approved for 7.4% with them and even a bit lower if I choose a certain repayment plan. This was without a cosigner too. Idk what was up with Wells Fargo and that 9.74%.....but I am going with Sallie Bae.

Being in debt never felt so good :cool::cool:

Same! My Wells Fargo was 9.25 and with Sallie Mae I was able to get 7.5 - thank god ya'll smart lmao saved me from more debt :)

We were the last interview group today for the waitlist and this application cycle. They said the waitlist will not be ranked and will be approx 60 applicants deep. When time to do so, they will review all applications to fill vacated spots.

Reactions: 2 users
We were the last interview group today for the waitlist and this application cycle. They said the waitlist will not be ranked and will be approx 60 applicants deep. When time to do so, they will review all applications to fill vacated spots.

Thanks for the info! Did they say when people had to confirm their spots by? Is it similar to the AMCAS school deadline?

Thanks for the info! Did they say when people had to confirm their spots by? Is it similar to the AMCAS school deadline?
I believe Mrs. Martin said 24 hrs for confirmation once they reach you and begin pulling off waitlist. My suspicion is the waitlist movement might not start until end of may and early June.

There is still hope! Thanks for the info!

I think I counted 10 in my interview group on wed. Not sure how many interviewed on Monday
I interviewed on Monday, including me there were 12 individuals.

She said that they currently have one seat open. Someone on this thread said they gave up their seat, so there may be two seats available?

I interviewed on Monday, including me there were 12 individuals.

She said that they currently have one seat open. Someone on this thread said they gave up their seat, so there may be two seats available?
Correct, even though they told us we're all interviewing for the waitlist, they told the last 10 of us interviewees yesterday that there were two seats left. And to confirm what Mommieofthree said, there are 60 people on the waitlist right now and that if you receive an acceptance call off the waitlist, they want you to confirm by the end of the day. If you're one of the lucky two to get a straight acceptance, I think she actually said we have 2 weeks to confirm but I'm not positive if my memory on that is correct

Correct, even though they told us we're all interviewing for the waitlist, they told the last 10 of us interviewees yesterday that there were two seats left. And to confirm what Mommieofthree said, there are 60 people on the waitlist right now and that if you receive an acceptance call off the waitlist, they want you to confirm by the end of the day. If you're one of the lucky two to get a straight acceptance, I think she actually said we have 2 weeks to confirm but I'm not positive if my memory on that is correct
They told us they’d plan to get about 60 people on the waitlist, so I don’t think they have 60 yet.

But yes, our group heard the same thing about only getting 24 hours to accept if pulled from the waitlist, and two weeks if you receive a straight acceptance.

I wonder what likelihood of 60 drops? I heard one year arcom pulled everyone off their waitlist. Not sure which year or if it was their inaugural year.

I wonder what likelihood of 60 drops? I heard one year arcom pulled everyone off their waitlist. Not sure which year or if it was their inaugural year.
It was last year (class of 2021) which was their inaugural year. This is only their second year of accepting applicants.

My guess is not super likely, since it is later in the cycle and people wouldn't pay a $2500 deposit unless they were almost positive they were going to attend. There will probably be a few who get accepted somewhere late and decide to switch. I think thats why ICOM's deposit was so high, so that they'd retain a lot of the people who pay the deposit.

It was last year (class of 2021) which was their inaugural year. This is only their second year of accepting applicants.
Just got notification for waitlist Interviewed 5/2. So 2 of you might me getting a phone call. Let us know who it is....

Yes, ARCOM pulled almost everyone off of the waitlist last year for their inaugural class, but this year though is a different story. We haven't seen much movement off of the waitlist since like January/February, and they're not expecting many people to drop either. Which makes me think, they got alot better in the way they select people this year to maximize their yield.

Any idea on letters of intent policy here? I don't remember what they said when I interviewed. Was waitlisted earlier in April.

Me too... However we were told from the get go that we were interviewing for waitlist positions. It just really got my hopes up when they told us there was a seat available. I'm really hoping there is some decent waitlist movement, as I believe this could be an amazing program.

Me too... However we were told from the get go that we were interviewing for waitlist positions. It just really got my hopes up when they told us there was a seat available. I'm really hoping there is some decent waitlist movement, as I believe this could be an amazing program.
Agreed. The 2 seats available got my hopes up too, but otherwise I was happy to be put on list

Anyone hear anything? I sent an email on Saturday asking if I was still on the waitlist and haven't heard a reply back. I assume they're on break.