2017-2018 Jefferson Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thinking about driving ~5 hours to philly for the interview. would i be better off just flying or is parking and everything worth saving the money in your opinion?
It is cheaper for you to drive, but not by that much. Also, if you fly it will save you a lot of time and energy. If you fly into Philly there is the option to take the Septa (the local train system) which will bring you to Jefferson station. So, ultimately it is up to you and there are a lot parking garages in Philly, but I would probably just fly if I were you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I just put the critical reading score. My general experience has been that reading and math are all that most people care about :)
----
Also FYI to everybody, on the secondary application page it says:

To activate your application, please complete and return this form with your activation fee within two (2)weeks.

Just so everyone keeps in mind to submit within 2 weeks :)

I'm also glad that their fee is only $80... seems that I've had a ridiculous number of $100+ secondaries...

I read the email for this secondary, which didn't explicitly state the 2 week submission requirement, and unfortunately now that I've had a chance to actually look at the secondary, it's been a little over 2 weeks. I'm assuming this is a hard rule, but did anyone exceed the 2 week timeline? Thinking it's prolly just best I take this as a "whoops" moment and save the $80 on this one +pity+

I read the email for this secondary, which didn't explicitly state the 2 week submission requirement, and unfortunately now that I've had a chance to actually look at the secondary, it's been a little over 2 weeks. I'm assuming this is a hard rule, but did anyone exceed the 2 week timeline? Thinking it's prolly just best I take this as a "whoops" moment and save the $80 on this one +pity+

Wrong school?

The only deadline is Jan 1 for the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong school?

The only deadline is Jan 1 for the secondary.

When clicked on the Secondary Questions tab, in the paragraph about letters of rec it says this:

"I. Letters of Recommendation
It is the applicant's responsibility to see that the application is complete, the non-refundable $80 application fee is paid, and the required letters of recommendation received.

Letters of recommendation are to be transmitted via AMCAS only. Please review with AMCAS their letter transmission policy at www.aamc.org/students/amcas. Do not submit letters of recommendation to Sidney Kimmel Medical College.

To activate your application, please complete and return this form with your activation fee within two (2)weeks."

Unless I'm misunderstanding the statement, I take that as having two weeks to complete the secondary from the time you receive it.

When clicked on the Secondary Questions tab, in the paragraph about letters of rec it says this:

"I. Letters of Recommendation
It is the applicant's responsibility to see that the application is complete, the non-refundable $80 application fee is paid, and the required letters of recommendation received.

Letters of recommendation are to be transmitted via AMCAS only. Please review with AMCAS their letter transmission policy at www.aamc.org/students/amcas. Do not submit letters of recommendation to Sidney Kimmel Medical College.

To activate your application, please complete and return this form with your activation fee within two (2)weeks."

Unless I'm misunderstanding the statement, I take that as having two weeks to complete the secondary from the time you receive it.

From the email providing the secondary:

"Once we have received your completed supplemental application, the required letters of recommendation and application fee, we will review your application materials to determine whether to extend an interview invitation. The final deadline to submit your supplemental application is January 1 for the MD program and November 15 for the MD/PhD program."

I doubt they have a strict deadline and just have conflicting information, but if you're anxious, contact the admissions department - they are typically very friendly and helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Jeff will be my first med school interview ever so I am not too sure what to expect.

Do any of the current/past students have any advice other than the generic "be yourself?" Like any questions in particular you found difficult to answer or questions that weren't that common? Any help/advice would be super helpful!

Jeff will be my first med school interview ever so I am not too sure what to expect.

Do any of the current/past students have any advice other than the generic "be yourself?" Like any questions in particular you found difficult to answer or questions that weren't that common? Any help/advice would be super helpful!
Congrats! I am a first year student here and I think the most important thing for Jefferson is to truly be yourself. Know your app inside and out and know about and be ready to address any potential weaknesses.

Not really anything special about it. Way less stressful than MMIs (in my opinion). Be social, or at least friendly. Most of the students involved will be pretty enthusiastic/outgoing/positive. They will like Jefferson, hopefully you're excited, so just use that energy/positivity. Ask them things if you want (they may or may not know specifics about the new curriculum, since most are 2nd years I think, but you can always ask).

On the interview day you'll have a timeframe to show up to check in... I got there at the start, which I liked since it gave me a chance to talk to current students before the mob formed (you'll break into groups later for lunch, tours, etc but it was nice to be able to put a face to a name and talk about normal things for a bit before all the talks/tours/interview). They also should have some small treats/coffee out.

Interviews were one on one with a faculty member, open file but they may or may not read it beforehand. It's a conversation, so it's always possible you could just not mesh, but I had a "sport passion" listed in my app and my interviewer was known among students for the same one, so I think they try to set it up so it's more relaxed. I definitely questioned how I phased a few things (mental forehead slaps afterwards), but got accepted anyways, so don't fret if you trip up somewhere.

Stay for cookie hour if you can. Honestly don't think that it matters, but there are free cookies. I'll shamefully admit to going and making sure I said hi to the admissions heads, but that can't hurt either. If you go, definitely don't mob the faculty.

@NonTrad16 and @Chip1 these were both really helpful responses. I really appreciate it! How long were your interviews? Does it vary per person? Or is it pretty standard?

Reactions: 1 users
@NonTrad16 and @Chip1 these were both really helpful responses. I really appreciate it! How long were your interviews? Does it vary per person? Or is it pretty standard?
It is typically pretty standard! Jefferson has a schedule that they give you and everybody interviews at the same time and then meet up later in the afternoon for cookie hour. Sometimes, a few people may come to the cookie hour a bit late but for the most part everyone gets done at roughly the same time!

For those who received an II, did you get a confirmation e-mail after you signed up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received primary today, submitted secondary today! I'm hoping not too late! I wish I had heard of this program a little earlier! Seems like an amazing school. For people who submitted a little later.. How long would you say it takes to get the letters of rec to be marked as "received" ? EDIT: letters were processed overnight and received Complete status this morning! Yeee!

Last edited:
Received primary today, submitted secondary today! I'm hoping not too late! I wish I had heard of this program a little earlier! Seems like an amazing school. For people who submitted a little later.. How long would you say it takes to get the letters of rec to be marked as "received" ?
So exciting! This is a truly awesome school, so if you have any questions for me please let me know! Good luck!

II! Complete 8/1, From the Delaware Valley area. One of my top choices, so I'm pumped!

I'm not available until late October/early November, and I was wondering if interviewing in November versus September has any bearing on our chances of admission? @Chip1

Reactions: 6 users
II! Complete 8/1, From the Delaware Valley area. One of my top choices, so I'm pumped!

I'm not available until late October/early November, and I was wondering if interviewing in November versus September has any bearing on our chances of admission? @Chip1

Congrats on the II! I think you're the 5th person on this thread to get an II who was complete 8/1. Something magic about that date it seems.

Congrats on the II! I think you're the 5th person on this thread to get an II who was complete 8/1. Something magic about that date it seems.
I'm pretty sure that was when they marked the first submitted applications complete.

Nothing magic, just the first day that complete emails were sent out

Congratulations! In general, it is always better to interview as early as you can. Jefferson does interviews for seats all the way through April, so no, it should not have any bearing on your chances of admission!

is the complete email the one they send as soon as you submit your secondary? or is there another one that takes a few days after submission? jw because i got mine within minutes of submitting

Same, I got mine <1 min after submitting. It said, in part: "Congratulations. Your application to Sidney Kimmel Medical College is now complete!"

I graduated with a fairly mediocre gpa of ~3.5. Not an excuse, but I was juggling a nearly full-time job and commuting back and forth home to take care of a dying family member during college, and I really failed to organize my time well. I think I have since improved this deficiency - is that a good idea to discuss? I keep reading conflicting ideas on here about whether or not you should address bad academic performance unless it's specifically mentioned, but I feel like a 3.5 gpa is an elephant in the room...

I don't know about an elephant. Maybe like.. a squirrel.. :D

They admit plenty of people below 3.5 every year - discuss it if you want but don't worry too much about it!

I don't know about an elephant. Maybe like.. a squirrel.. :D

They admit plenty of people below 3.5 every year - discuss it if you want but don't worry too much about it!

Well, I suppose it's not that horrible, but it's nearly a standard deviation below the average matriculant. Also, last time I applied, every interview on the few interviews I had tore my ass apart for all of the B's, C's and W's I had on my transcript :S

Well, I suppose it's not that horrible, but it's nearly a standard deviation below the average matriculant. Also, last time I applied, every interview on the few interviews I had tore my ass apart for all of the B's, C's and W's I had on my transcript :S

I would still apply.

If you're in doubt in the future use the 10th-90th percentile rule. Do you have an upward or downward trend or neither? That is also huge

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For real? That's kind of wild. I had a lower GPA than you, I think, and I only had one person mention it on the interview trail and it was more of a passing "Your GPA isn't that good" than tearing my ass apart. Hope you get better interviewers this time around!

II just now!

Reactions: 8 users

Last edited:
I submitted on on July 27, and was complete Aug 16.

Complete 8/8, received II the same day, honestly feeling like it was a glitch at this point.

Complete 8/8, received II the same day, honestly feeling like it was a glitch at this point.

This absolutely has to be a record time. Really really doubt it's a glitch. Congrats!

This absolutely has to be a record time. Really really doubt it's a glitch. Congrats!

Thanks! I haven't gotten any IIs since then, so maybe my luck's run out, haha. Good luck to everyone else!!

Did anyone answer the optional prompt? If so what did you put?

Does SKMC post or email an actual rejection or is it just silence?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For the optional essay I want to do a diversity essay, talk about a semester I had where my GPA was lower and inconsistent than all the other semesters, and mention why I want to attend SKMC, but I feel that may be too much. Anyone have any general advice on which they might value the most?

For the optional essay I want to do a diversity essay, talk about a semester I had where my GPA was lower and inconsistent than all the other semesters, and mention why I want to attend SKMC, but I feel that may be too much. Anyone have any general advice on which they might value the most?
I think you should be able to cover all that as long as you're concise. If I remember correctly the Jeff optional essay is 4,000 characters, so pretty long by the standards of secondary app essays.

i think diversity and why you want to attend/fit with SKMC is more important than the one bad semester, unless that semester really took a hit on your gpa?

Agreed with above. If you had 3.6, 3.6, 3.2, 3.6, I don't think I'd mention it. If you had 3.6, 3.6, 2.8, 3.6... that's dramatic enough (and low enough) that it would very likely raise a question. Mentioning something could help provide context (if there is any). Bringing their attention to a more subtle dip that resulted from over-scheduling or mono wouldn't really do much to help you (in my opinion).

I'd focus on diversity/why SKMC. Also, while the essay prompt is 4000 characters, longer is not necessarily better. I think that's why you're trying to narrow the scope, but it's worth emphasizing that they get a LOT of applications, and doing all you can to keep your essay focused/interesting is important. Good luck!

Agreed with above. If you had 3.6, 3.6, 3.2, 3.6, I don't think I'd mention it. If you had 3.6, 3.6, 2.8, 3.6... that's dramatic enough (and low enough) that it would very likely raise a question. Mentioning something could help provide context (if there is any). Bringing their attention to a more subtle dip that resulted from over-scheduling or mono wouldn't really do much to help you (in my opinion).

I'd focus on diversity/why SKMC. Also, while the essay prompt is 4000 characters, longer is not necessarily better. I think that's why you're trying to narrow the scope, but it's worth emphasizing that they get a LOT of applications, and doing all you can to keep your essay focused/interesting is important. Good luck!
Agreed. To clarify, I didn't mean that you should use all 4,000 characters (I certainly didn't). I just meant that you could cover all three and still end up well short of 4,000. But if the GPA dip wasn't too dramatic I also wouldn't mention it.