2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any of the current students of LUCOM have a copy of their first semester's class schedule? If so, can you please post it or PM me?

BFOM is first. It's a foundations course. IMSK is next, it focuses on bones, muscles, nerves, and function of the arms, back, and legs. The last main class of the semester is CVRH. This class focuses on heart and lungs. All 6-7 weeks in length. 3 written exams each.

3 classes run all semester. OMM 101, Patient Centered Medicine 101, and Ethics.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
BFOM is first. It's a foundations course. IMSK is next, it focuses on bones, muscles, nerves, and function of the arms, back, and legs. The last main class of the semester is CVRH. This class focuses on heart and lungs. All 6-7 weeks in length. 3 written exams each.

3 classes run all semester. OMM 101, Patient Centered Medicine 101, and Ethics.

Thank you. As a follow up question, how many hours did you spend studying for that schedule? How difficult were the exams?

Thank you. As a follow up question, how many hours did you spend studying for that schedule? How difficult were the exams?

BFOM - Didn't really know how to "study" for med school. Had a nice downward spiral in my grades. Got a B, C, and F on the 3 tests. Studied about the same for all 3. I just was not use to having multiple professors writing questions on tests and i did not know how to get the info out of the lectures that i needed. I focused too much on little details and skipped big pictures. In retrospect i would have easily gotten a strong B in this class if i had known how to just study well (i think i ended with a 78 or something in that ballpark).

IMSK - this is the beginning of anatomy lab. A large majority of this class is taught by Anatomist. They have their own flavor and it's a HUGE change from BFOM. IMSK is a very large amount of memorization. Bones, muscles, nerves, tendons, joints, ligaments, and there associated relationships. You spend too much time around cadavers in this course... 6-8 hours of required lab a week, 4-6 hours of optional tutoring time, an anywhere from 2-6 hours of time just studying the bodies (some people do A LOT more). There is also a fair amount of pathology, physiology, bio-chem, and micro in this class.

CVRH - 2 weeks of anatomy, 5 weeks of physiology. Probably the hardest class of the semester depending on your background. I was able to lean on my nursing background a bunch during this course and it was one of the easier ones.

I study 0-2 hours a day. For a test weekend i'll study 12 hours a day, Friday-Sunday. I think if i calculated all my test grades up, it would fall somewhere in the mid to high 70's. Which is probably 2-3 points shy of the class average. Keep in mind i have a 5 month old son, who was born the first week of school... so school will be different for you, lol.

The tests are hard. But you learn how study for them after awhile.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question and it may seem a bit weird, but do 1st years have to purchase a stethoscope when starting at LUCOM?

So as far as studying then, what would you recommend in order to be successful in these classes? Big picture I inferred but how to study for that?

Quick question and it may seem a bit weird, but do 1st years have to purchase a stethoscope when starting at LUCOM?

Yes. Most people bought littmans.

So as far as studying then, what would you recommend in order to be successful in these classes? Big picture I inferred but how to study for that?

Focus on PowerPoints. Master the info on the slides. Don't focus on complex diagrams (like the Krebs cycle) - focus on things that can go wrong. I would get first aid and follow along with the classes. It outlines high yield things that are often tested.

Everyone finds their own groove. I don't think there is one specific way to study to be successful.

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew acceptance. Seems like it will be a great school in the future but it’s just too far for me. Hope one of you get my spot! Good luck!

Expect to study about 6 hours on average every day. The biggest thing to understand and be prepared for is to put your studies first. Friends, extracurricular activities, exercise, etc. come afterwards, and as soon as you live your medical life as such, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be getting A’s and B’s in all of your classes.
Studying is very different from person to person, but try to get 3-4 passes through each lecture/topic before each exam. Repition helps immensely, especially focusing on the big picture & physiology aspects as mentioned above.
Don’t buy any books until you’ve been in class for a few weeks (you can rent those needed from the library if you need them) to judge what your new learning style should be. Medical school isn’t an intellectual challenge, but a dedication challenge. Put it first, and youll do just fine. We (as second years in 2018) will help you out with whatever you need.

Reactions: 5 users
Just told by admissions that the adcom has missed a couple meetings and their next one is on Jan 4th!

Do they do a screen for secondaries? I submitted my primary a while ago and still nothing. Is this because the school is on break now?
They do screen for secondaries. Holiday could be the reason for the delay. Good luck!

Just told by admissions that the adcom has missed a couple meetings and their next one is on Jan 4th!
I inquired about this for you guys as well, and it looks like they still haven't made the final decision/calls for anyone in mid to late November, and moving forward. I was told that they'll most likely be making those calls in mid January due to the holiday delays. Sorry about this, just hang in tight! Please let me know if you have an interview coming up, as I would love to chat with you beforehand. We can even set up a time for you to come in before your interview and I can show you around Lynchburg.

Last edited:
Loved this school inside and out! The people here were absolutely amazing and the admissions are easy to work with. I am very honored to have been accepted here but I will be withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck everyone! I hope you all go far and be the amazing physicians we someday will be! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! Interviewed on 11/13

Yes! Got the acceptance call this morning (interviewed 11/30)! I'm so thrilled and excited. Good luck you guys!! I wish you the best on this incredible, roller-coaster ride of a journey on your path of becoming a physician :D It's your lifelong goal and you WILL get there one way or another.

Accepted today! Interviewed on 11/13

Yes! Got the acceptance call this morning (interviewed 11/30)! I'm so thrilled and excited. Good luck you guys!! I wish you the best on this incredible, roller-coaster ride of a journey on your path of becoming a physician :D It's your lifelong goal and you WILL get there one way or another.
Congrats friends!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed on 12/15. I got an acceptance call today!!!

Accepted! Interviewed on 12/11/2017.

Last edited:
Accepted. Interviewed 12/4

Accepted. Interviewed 12/4
Congratulations!! I've said this to a few of you so far, but if I could give some advice here, it would be to take this summer off! Go on vacation, do something on your bucket list, etc.
I went to Sweden, showcased/sold my art at some big events, and spent a lot of time with family and friends before matriculating. If you try to study to 'get ahead', you'll most likely only be a little more comfortable with the subjects. Don't worry about it, YOU'RE IN! Now take a sweet little vacation from being stressed all the time, and we'll see you here in July. I can't wait to meet all of you!

Interviewing here very soon. To those who have interviewed here, how was your interviewing experience? all tips greatly appreciated.

Interviewing here very soon. To those who have interviewed here, how was your interviewing experience? all tips greatly appreciated.
The interview was super chill honestly. They really just wanted to get to know me and make sure you are a good fit for the school. Service is a big deal to them. They didnt ask anything crazy. Just be yourself and you will do great! Good luck!

Spoke with Dr. Patton recently. Interviews will be ending in March. The second deposit is due January 15th. Stay hopeful everyone.

As an accepted applicant, I enjoyed everything during my interview and really liked the school. My only concern is the upcoming the match result of its inaugural class. I know that match result comes out around mid-March, but does anyone know when LUCOM (or other schools in general) will release their results?

As an accepted applicant, I enjoyed everything during my interview and really liked the school. My only concern is the upcoming the match result of its inaugural class. I know that match result comes out around mid-March, but does anyone know when LUCOM (or other schools in general) will release their results?

Not sure, probably shortly after that. I'm more interested in 2019's and 2020's match results. They seem like a sharp bunch of people.

As a note, i really haven't interacted much with 4th years. So I have no idea how this is going to go, hopefully well. I know some have already matched in to the programs they wanted via the Military match.

Reactions: 1 users
I also loved the school but I’m also wondering the exact same thing about match results. Maybe I’ll call the school sometime to ask when we’ll be able to see the results. Or if anyone here knows maybe you can shine some light on us?

I also loved the school but I’m also wondering the exact same thing about match results. Maybe I’ll call the school sometime to ask when we’ll be able to see the results. Or if anyone here knows maybe you can shine some light on us?

Sorry no, we're about as lost on that as you are. A lot of us are also worried about GI right now and less about matches. It'll definitely be interesting to see where people end up and we'll keep you posted if we can!

I'm more interested in 2019's and 2020's match results. They seem like a sharp bunch of people.

Yeah those 4th years in the c/o 2018...what a bunch of jokers....

Current 4th year here. I think our class will do quite well in the match. I would go so far as to say that anyone who has trouble matching probably has more blame to lay on themselves than the school. I have had a lot of interviewers ask how I liked going to LUCOM, and how I felt being in the inaugural class, but I never felt like they were asking in such a way as to imply that they were concerned about me being a LUCOM student.

Most of my colleagues and friends have had very positive experiences on the interview trail. Some of my classmates had to be realistic about where they were applying and for what specialty, but again, that has more to do with their individual performance, not the school.

This is probably as good a time as any to put this out there: I’d say upwards of 90% of your medical school success is up to you as an individual, not where you go to school. This extends to boards too. There is so much to learn in the first 2 years that when it comes time to prepare for boards, everyone, regardless of what school they go to is essentially doing the same plan of:
Bunker down for 4-8 weeks, review everything in first aid and (insert name of board prep course here), do a few thousand u world and combank questions, go take the exam and feel like to failed it, find out 6 weeks later you passed (most likely), and then move on with your life. I will say LUCOM took our feedback seriously regarding board prep, and that is a large part of why the c/o 2019 board performance improved so much. When I say that, you have to understand, even though the c/o 2018 board scores were about 3% below the national average for school performance, inaugural classes always underperform, it goes with the territory. In fact, despite the fact that we were 3% under the national pass rate ( around 88% of our class passed on the first time) we largely outperformed the inaugural classes pass rates overall. Finally, because the school responded to our feedback, the c/o 2019 did an OUTSTANDING job on their first time board pass rate. I’m not sure the exact number, but it was equal to or higher than the average across all Osteopathic schools.

Anyway, all of this is to say, your future success as a physician is really based on hard work as an individual, not anything special your school did for you.

As for things you can do to prepare for medical school, I have a few suggestions, take them or leave them.

1.) finish undergrad strong. Don’t look at graduation from undergrad as a finish line, look at it as the starting line. Do you want to limp across the starting line, or sprint across?

2.) take time to focus on yourself and try and learn who you are. I know that sounds cheesy, but it is so valuable to reflect on why you chose to become a physician, especially after you’ve been accepted. Ground yourself in whatever has called you individually to become a physician, and reflect on it when you have times of difficulty and doubt - they will come.

3.) read, a lot. Medical school forced me to learn how to read all over again. I don’t mean that I became illiterate, I mean that I forgot how to read something critically and actually take away what the author is saying. Stay away from textbooks if you can, and take this time to read some literature that will develop you as an individual. My recommendations are: anything by Atul Gawande, The Laws of Medicine by Siddartha Mukherji, The Art of War (Cleary translation), Extreme Ownership by Willink and Babin, just to name a few. Read whatever you like, but these are a few of the books that helped me tease out humanism in medicine and what it means to be a leader, even when I am not in charge.

4.) medical school is a roller coaster. 1st year starts off exciting, then the hammer drops and you may be close to miserable by Christmas, then you get a break, and by the time you turn around you’ve finished neuro and 1st year is done. Second year starts off nice, as it is all clinical and it reminds you why you wanted to go to medical school. Then it starts sucking because medical questions aren’t always black and white, and then by the end of second year you find yourself stressed beyond belief about boards. Second year was probably the worst year in my opinion. Third year is exciting, you get to actually see patients and do stuff, but then you’re reminded that you still have shelf exams, and you still have to take Level 2 boards and prepare for PE...The first half of fourth year is a whirlwind of audition rotations, interviews, traveling, living out of a suitcase, fancy dinners at resident interviews, and crappy food at hospital cafeterias. The second half of fourth year (where I’m
At now) is really liberating. I’ve done all my interviews, I’ve basically established my rank order list, and I’m just waiting for the match. I have a couple clinical rotations this semester, but I am on easy street. Believe it or not, I have found time to get my pilot’s license...sometimes I wish fourth year wouldn’t end.

Anyway, that was a much longer post than I intended to write, but hopefully there is some helpful stuff there for folks nonetheless.

Feel free to ask here or PM me if you want my perspective as a 4th year. LUCOM has been a fine place for me to get my medical education, but trust me, I don’t think my experience would have been terribly different and my match results will likely be exactly the same as if I had gone anywhere else.

Reactions: 14 users
Is it true that LUCOM reimburses the money that you spent on board prep course?

Kind of. They didn’t for our class, but did for the classes after us. No guarantee that it will continue but they haven’t hinted that they are planning on stopping.

They reimburse up to a certain dollar amount ($500 maybe?) for board prep courses. In order to qualify for the reimbursement you must demonstrate that you successfully completed an entire board prep course (on line or in person). Not sure exactly how you do that, but they have it worked out and I don’t think anybody who has tried has not gotten the reimbursement if they could prove they met the requirement.

Unfortunately the reimbursement does not cover stand alone board prep materials that are not part of a course, such as first aid textbooks and stand alone a banks like uworld or combank. That is my understanding at least, someone from 2019 or 2020 can correct me if I’m wrong.

This is a HUGE improvement based on class of 2018 feedback regarding board prep, and 2019 board scores demonstrated this. Say what you will, but LUCOM was very agile regarding board prep feedback and the results bear this out.

Yes. Up to $900. As stated above it can only be board prep courses, Qbanks don't count. You have to prove you completed it and turn in receipts.

Approved ones were DIT, Kaplan, and few others that slip my mind.

For all those starting this coming Fall and wanting to move to The Oasis at the Vue, they're having a special of a $50 discount off the rent if you bring a friend.
So my question is... do any of you guys want to be my friend? lol

For all those starting this coming Fall and wanting to move to The Oasis at the Vue, they're having a special of a $50 discount off the rent if you bring a friend.
So my question is... do any of you guys want to be my friend? lol
I am starting this fall. When should we start looking for places to live? Isn't it still really early?
Also, I will be happy to be your friend! lol

I am starting this fall. When should we start looking for places to live? Isn't it still really early?
Also, I will be happy to be your friend! lol

I started in February. There are a lot of places to live, but most having waiting lists. It's best to get on them early before you have to start fighting the undergrads for spots.

I started in February. There are a lot of places to live, but most having waiting lists. It's best to get on them early before you have to start fighting the undergrads for spots.
I see. Do you recommend any places near the school? I would like to get a place where mostly graduate students live.
Also, I checked The Oasis at the Vue as @Wonwander mentioned, and the lease starts in August. Won't I be starting school or at least having an orientation in late July?

I see. Do you recommend any places near the school? I would like to get a place where mostly graduate students live.
Also, I checked The Oasis at the Vue as @Wonwander mentioned, and the lease starts in August. Won't I be starting school or at least having an orientation in late July?

I have gathered a list of potential residencies near the school! Hope this is helpful to others on the search..

Legacy at Linden Park
The Vistas at Dreaming Creek
The Gardens on Timberlake
WillowBrook
Overlook at Stonemill
The Gables of Spring Creek
Walden Pond

I'm also considering a roommate, so if anyone is interested, pm me :)

I have gathered a list of potential residencies near the school! Hope this is helpful to others on the search..

Legacy at Linden Park
The Vistas at Dreaming Creek
The Gardens on Timberlake
WillowBrook
Overlook at Stonemill
The Gables of Spring Creek
Walden Pond

I'm also considering a roommate, so if anyone is interested, pm me :)

Maybe I'm jumping the gun trying to get a place this soon but I couldn't resist a deal lol
How far do students typically live from the school? I've found some nicer apartments in the downtown area that are slightly more affordable than The Vue and only about 13-15 min from the school, does anyone live any further than this?
Some of the places I've looked into include:
-Midpoint Apartments
-Imperial Tobacco Lofts
-City Market Lofts (my current top)
-37 West Apartments
-The Gardens on Timberlake

Is anyone familiar with any of these?

Also much appreciation for you @daveed2! haha
I didn't know of these other cheaper options, so I guess we'll have a better idea of where we'll be living as we get closer to orientation :)

Hi everyone. I’ll be relocating to Lynchburg with my husband and children. Does anyone have suggestions as far as what’s a good area to live in with a family?

Hi everyone. I’ll be relocating to Lynchburg with my husband and children. Does anyone have suggestions as far as what’s a good area to live in with a family?

My wife, kids, and I live in the Sandusky area and we love it. It’s a great neighborhood for families and Sandusky Middle School and Elementary School are here in the neighborhood and are both really good schools.

I would say that most of the class lives in south Lynchburg which is considered the “New Lynchburg” area. There’s some shady areas in between south Lynchburg and the downtown area that I would avoid but other than that there’s plenty of good spots! Feel free to DM me if you have questions about specific areas.

My wife, kids, and I live in the Sandusky area and we love it. It’s a great neighborhood for families and Sandusky Middle School and Elementary School are here in the neighborhood and are both really good schools.

I would say that most of the class lives in south Lynchburg which is considered the “New Lynchburg” area. There’s some shady areas in between south Lynchburg and the downtown area that I would avoid but other than that there’s plenty of good spots! Feel free to DM me if you have questions about specific areas.
Thank you. Do you rent an apartment or a house?

does anyone know when the next committee meeting will be?

Hi! I'm an OMS 2 at LUCOM. The Oasis at Vue near the school has some perks based on its location and it already has furniture which is nice. I lived there during my first year but I would like to warn anyone who decides to live there that it is a complex that has lots of undergraduate students. Based on where you are placed in the apartment, you may be around lots of undergraduate students who are noisy.

I now live in the Downtown Lynchburg Area (@Wonwonder) under the company that owns Imperial Tobacco Lofts, Midpoint Apartments, and Factory 88. I definitely enjoy it a lot more than my time at Oasis. In my opinion, Oasis was too close to school where it was hard for me to separate my personal life from school since Oasis was down the road.

Hi! I'm an OMS 2 at LUCOM. The Oasis at Vue near the school has some perks based on its location and it already has furniture which is nice. I lived there during my first year but I would like to warn anyone who decides to live there that it is a complex that has lots of undergraduate students. Based on where you are placed in the apartment, you may be around lots of undergraduate students who are noisy.

I now live in the Downtown Lynchburg Area (@Wonwonder) under the company that owns Imperial Tobacco Lofts, Midpoint Apartments, and Factory 88. I definitely enjoy it a lot more than my time at Oasis. In my opinion, Oasis was too close to school where it was hard for me to separate my personal life from school since Oasis was down the road.

Thanks for that reassurance!
I am definitely leaning towards one of those lofts as well.
How early do you recommend applying for a lease to one of those apartments?
Are there usually always open rooms for rent or do they go fast?

Thanks for that reassurance!
I am definitely leaning towards one of those lofts as well.
How early do you recommend applying for a lease to one of those apartments?
Are there usually always open rooms for rent or do they go fast?

Yeah, So I would go ahead and give them a call to see if anything will be open whatever date you decide to move in. The lady who is in charge of the place is super nice! It's one of those things where I would call monthly to see what opens up. I started calling in January and was able to get one once April/May came round. There is a good amount of OMS2s who live in these apartments so once we are done with Boards a lot of us may be moving out as we prepare to move on to clinical rotations.

Do you recommend any place in Cornerstone? It looks like a new community and clean/ quiet place to live in.

Last edited:
Complete early november and still no word :( hoping for a II soon.. I emailed as well since they said 21 days for a decision. Anybody else in the same boat?

Complete early november and still no word :( hoping for a II soon.. I emailed as well since they said 21 days for a decision. Anybody else in the same boat?

Me!! I'm retaking MCAT this week....I think they are waiting on that from me. Mine was borderline...

Do you recommend any place in Cornerstone? It looks like a new community and clean/ quiet place to live in.

I've driven by that area and it's super close to a Kroger's which is a nice to do grocery shopping and getting gas. They have a great coffee shop there too called Bean Tree. There's a good mix of college students and family and lots of different options from different rental companies there. I'm not so sure on prices though.