2017-2018 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wtf it says my application was complete 8/28....except I took the 7/9 CASPer and previously my application said I was completed 8/04 (when the secondary was sent in and LORs received)......

How could I get so screwed over when it should only take 3 weeks for them to receive CASPer results...

I think everyone's portal changed the completion date to 8/28. Must be an issue on their end.

Members don't see this ad.

Wtf it says my application was complete 8/28....except I took the 7/9 CASPer and previously my application said I was completed 8/04 (when the secondary was sent in and LORs received)......

How could I get so screwed over when it should only take 3 weeks for them to receive CASPer results...

Relax, it's been like that for most people. Probably a glitch in the system.

Mine says complete 8/28 and had another update under it which recently just disappeared. They might just have put everybody as the same date no matter when they were complete before that date.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from them this morning saying they still had CASPer scores but they had technical difficulties and are updating the portals today. That being said, I'm still under review with the 8/28 day and my "The Office of Admissions has received your CASPer score" alert has returned. Congrats on those who got an interview today!

Reactions: 1 user
Just checking in, I also have had my "complete" date changed to 8/28. No II yet.

Anybody whose complete date got changed get an II?

II! Also 7/9 Casper :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CASPER receipt notification is back (took test August 10).

I wonder how much longer until this newest portal change precipitates a litany of posts

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder how much longer until this newest portal change precipitates a litany of posts
My portal just changed to list my actual complete date of 7/13 instead of 8/28... Does that count? Haha :p

Still waiting on a decision (likely a rejection but one can hope!) Complete 7/13, Casper 7/26. For all you NYers, is Valhalla really as quaint as it looks?

Last edited:
Complete date updated back to the original date.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think a big wave is gonna come after this period of silence? Would you consider it a period of silence?

Hey, current M1 here. Only been in school for about 2 months, but feel free to ask/message me with any questions.
Main things I like about the school:
  • On-campus living community/ ease of access to classes, gym, and study space.
  • Frequent face time with professors in labs/small classroom sessions.
  • Communication between faculty so that what we are learning in histology is directly related to topics covered in anatomy/embryology.
  • INCREDIBLE amount of collaboration between peers. The number of resources/study guides that are shared is absurd. My classmates are amazing and I've formed some really close friendships already (its easy when a majority live in the same housing area).
  • Lectures are video recorded so I never am obligated to go to class and can learn at my own pace.
  • Grading system is P/F with top 20% getting high pass/honors (although I've heard this is getting phased out soon). I definitely do not feel pressured to perform for a grade like in undergrad.
  • Surrounding area of Westchester county is beautiful. If you love outdoorsy things like hiking, running etc..., you will be happy here. Also close enough to city for nightlife/day trips.
  • Westchester Med Center makes finding research/clinical opportunities much easier (so I've heard).
  • Standardized patients here are a really helpful way to get you comfortable working with patients.
Cons:
  • Campus is about 5 to 10 minute drive to anywhere (food, groceries, malls etc...), so not having a car makes it much harder. There are super convenient and cheap grocery delivery services, but it just makes things more difficult.
  • On-campus cafe is only open until 2 PM (for a religious reason, I believe, not too sure though). I don't mind this as it incentivizes me to cook and save money, but it is frustrating to some students.
  • Labeling and detail on Powerpoint slides for lectures is often minimal, so much of the test material is based off what the professor verbalizes. This can be frustrating, depending on your preferred learning style. Although, I have not discussed this with friends at other med schools so this may be typical. There is a scribe service that you can pay for (I do), which is quite helpful.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, current M1 here. Only been in school for about 2 months, but feel free to ask/message me with any questions.
Cons:
  • On-campus cafe is only open until 2 PM (for a religious reason, I believe, not too sure though). I don't mind this as it incentivizes me to cook and save money, but it is frustrating to some students.

Oh my goodness, this reminds me of the school I attend during the summer. I have to buy lunch and dinner at the same time. I've gotten in the habit, but I was hoping I could change my ways in med school o_O

• Communication between faculty so that what we are learning in histology is directly related to topics covered in anatomy/embryology.
  • INCREDIBLE amount of collaboration between peers. The number of resources/study guides that are shared is absurd. My classmates are amazing and I've formed some really close friendships already (its easy when a majority live in the same housing area).
  • Lectures are video recorded so I never am obligated to go to class and can learn at my own pace.
  • Grading system is P/F with top 20% getting high pass/honors (although I've heard this is getting phased out soon). I definitely do not feel pressured to perform for a grade like in undergrad.
  • Surrounding area of Westchester county is beautiful. If you love outdoorsy things like hiking, running etc..., you will be happy here. Also close enough to city for nightlife/day trips.
  • Westchester Med Center makes finding research/clinical opportunities much easier (so I've heard).
  • Standardized patients here are a really helpful way to get you comfortable working with patients.
Cons:
  • Campus is about 5 to 10 minute drive to anywhere (food, groceries, malls etc...), so not having a car makes it much harder. There are super convenient and cheap grocery delivery services, but it just makes things more difficult.
  • Labeling and detail on Powerpoint slides for lectures is often minimal, so much of the test material is based off what the professor verbalizes. This can be frustrating, depending on your preferred learning style. Although, I have not discussed this with friends at other med schools so this may be typical. There is a scribe service that you can pay for (I do), which is quite helpful.
Thanks for the insight! I have an II here next month. Quick question: I know NYMC doesn’t have the MD/MBA dual degree, but is the school receptive to students pursuing the MBA at another institution while studying at NYMC (such as taking a year off in between 3rd and 4th year like most schools allow for MD/MBA students)

Cons:
How often do people take trips to the city? It doesnt seem too fat but dont know how the transportation systems work in NYC and surrounding areas. Do people with partners still live on the on-campus housing? And most importantly....how nice is the gym? haha

Reactions: 1 users
Woohoo, similar LizzyM and completion date for me! Fingers crossed I hear soon.

Just got the "put on hold" update although it says the update was from August. Definitely just noticed it and I have checked numerous times since then, so that's weird.

Just got the "put on hold" update although it says the update was from August. Definitely just noticed it and I have checked numerous times since then, so that's weird.
+1, realized it when I received an email stating that they want my first semester transcript when I receive it...

Oh my goodness, this reminds me of the school I attend during the summer. I have to buy lunch and dinner at the same time. I've gotten in the habit, but I was hoping I could change my ways in med school o_O
I'm not understanding, does anyone know of a "religious reason" to close a cafe at 2 pm? Strongly curious!

I'm not understanding, does anyone know of a "religious reason" to close a cafe at 2 pm? Strongly curious!

I'm dying to know as well. Ours was strictly a practical thing for the summer months.

Thanks for the insight! I have an II here next month. Quick question: I know NYMC doesn’t have the MD/MBA dual degree, but is the school receptive to students pursuing the MBA at another institution while studying at NYMC (such as taking a year off in between 3rd and 4th year like most schools allow for MD/MBA students)
Unfortunately, I have no idea about that. I'd be surprised if they outright said no. I'd call admissions or ask on the interview day.

How often do people take trips to the city? It doesnt seem too fat but dont know how the transportation systems work in NYC and surrounding areas. Do people with partners still live on the on-campus housing? And most importantly....how nice is the gym? haha
There are definitely groups going most weekends (other than right before exams). I've been a few times since school started and have also explored other parts of NY. Its about a 10-15 car/uber/lyft ride to the White Plains train station and then a 30-40 min train ride to grand central.
I believe people with partners stay on campus. I can't think of any couples off the top of my head, but there are units in the Grasslands 1 housing area that can accommodate that. Although, I'm not sure if its for both married and non-married partners so I would call the housing office about that.

Gym is modest. It has everything you would need (weights, machines, bench/squat, cardio), but its small. You just have to go at non-peak hours and its chill. There's also another gym on the other end of campus (10 min walk) that's similar but always less-crowded that I prefer.

Is it better to be put on hold or to not hear anything at all?

Reactions: 3 users
Dear NYMC,

pls

Sincerely,
HopelessinCA​

Reactions: 22 users
Anyone receive an II , without having their casper score received?
I took casper end of August and I was put on hold so I'm wondering if my score not being received has anything to do with the hold.

Yo anybody else has a case of the rickety crickets from here? Complete early/mid August.

Reactions: 3 users
is NYMC receptive of in the area emails? I couldn't find any info on their website or old sdn posts