2017-2018 Rosalind Franklin University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All! first time visiting this thread and, seeing as this is the end of the cycle, I dont think I have the mental capacity or sanity to read through everything lol. Can someone kindly tell me if RFU is still interviewing? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All! first time visiting this thread and, seeing as this is the end of the cycle, I dont think I have the mental capacity or sanity to read through everything lol. Can someone kindly tell me if RFU is still interviewing? Thank you!

Yes, RFU is interviewing through the end of April, last year invites were extended as late as April 21st or so.

Reactions: 1 user
The admissions office is busy reading the thousands of applications that they recieve and, per nationwide protocol, isn't required to disclose this information to you. Them's the breaks.

As to "post-interview hold" I'm not sure what that means, but my guess would be that it's the waitlist. So wait and see what happens after April 30.

Of course! And I understand that. I did not mean to say I was entitled to this information, just glad to receive it. I guess I meant to say I'd like to see more transparency in medical admissions between the admissions office and applicants. This doesn't have to be providing statistics or number of acceptances but just general info on the process and where an applicant stands in it. I certainly think that's reasonable and possible, and newer medical schools that I've applied to have been great with it. It's especially frustrating when you interview relatively early, are told you will hear in 4-6 weeks, then after two months of silence receive a post-interview hold, and no decision or further communication to date.

As for the post-interview hold, I've spoke with the office on multiple occasions and they've emphasized that this means you arestill under review-- not wait listed. They've also added, "You'll hear by next month!" which has not happened. I guess only time will tell.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course! And I understand that. I did not mean to say I was entitled to this information, just glad to receive it. I guess I meant to say I'd like to see more transparency in medical admissions between the admissions office and applicants. This doesn't have to be providing statistics or number of acceptances but just general info on the process and where an applicant stands in it. I certainly think that's reasonable and possible, and newer medical schools that I've applied to have been great with it. It's especially frustrating when you interview relatively early, are told you will hear in 4-6 weeks, then after two months of silence receive a post-interview hold, and no decision or further communication to date.

As for the post-interview hold, I've spoke with the office on multiple occasions and they've emphasized that this means you arestill under review-- not wait listed. They've also added, "You'll hear by next month!" which has not happened. I guess only time will tell.
If you call them again they’ll waitlist you, just started this week it seems...

I also think it would be nice to have more transparency in admissions across the board. However I also understand why the logistics of that would create more problems than they would solve for Admissions offices at larger schools. Those newer schools that you are getting more info from have 2 major differences that make it possible/sensible for them to use that style of communication - 1) they got somewhere in the ballpark of 5000 apps total for the whole cycle, where a school like RFU gets 4-5000 apps in the first week of the cycle. That kind of volume necessitates different levels of communication just because of practical time constraints. 2) Those newer schools are (to a certain extent depending on how long they've been open) an unknown quantity. They have limited history of matching their grads and anyone who goes there is adding a further degree of risk/gamble when it comes to their future residency placement. So they need to sell themselves more than well established schools do, which means they need to be better communicators. RFU, for better or worse, is a known quantity and has a well established history of placing their grads in good residencies. Which makes them (and 99% of med schools in the US) the sellers in a sellers market.

Go with whatever interpretation of "hold" that Admissions is giving you. 'Cuz they're the ones making the decisions. My sympathies if that hold is not turning into a WL and you're hanging out in limbo. Best to assume the worst and make your plans accordingly. Better to be happily surprised in a month or two, than to wait for the ax to fall and be left without a Plan B come summer.

If you call them again they’ll waitlist you, just started this week it seems...
Are you on the wait list after calling now? I see a couple people on the wait list from November and December interviews, but did they call in?

I also think it would be nice to have more transparency in admissions across the board. However I also understand why the logistics of that would create more problems than they would solve for Admissions offices at larger schools. Those newer schools that you are getting more info from have 2 major differences that make it possible/sensible for them to use that style of communication - 1) they got somewhere in the ballpark of 5000 apps total for the whole cycle, where a school like RFU gets 4-5000 apps in the first week of the cycle. That kind of volume necessitates different levels of communication just because of practical time constraints. 2) Those newer schools are (to a certain extent depending on how long they've been open) an unknown quantity. They have limited history of matching their grads and anyone who goes there is adding a further degree of risk/gamble when it comes to their future residency placement. So they need to sell themselves more than well established schools do, which means they need to be better communicators. RFU, for better or worse, is a known quantity and has a well established history of placing their grads in good residencies. Which makes them (and 99% of med schools in the US) the sellers in a sellers market.

Go with whatever interpretation of "hold" that Admissions is giving you. 'Cuz they're the ones making the decisions. My sympathies if that hold is not turning into a WL and you're hanging out in limbo. Best to assume the worst and make your plans accordingly. Better to be happily surprised in a month or two, than to wait for the ax to fall and be left without a Plan B come summer.
You're absolutely right with new schools having fewer applications making them able to do this. However, I have spoken with the admissions coordinators, at new and established schools, that are dedicated to making the process a bit more transparent-- in terms of explaining what the review process is like beyond, "We'll e-mail you if we want to interview you, then after let you know at some point if you're accepted, wait listed, or rejected." Not that applicants would or should receive individualized communications about where they stand, but at the least receive that information when they call in to an admissions office. Again, you're right it's a seller market, this is just my $0.02.

I appreciate that. Fingers crossed that hold puts in a better rather than worse place, but we'll see. Solid advice too! My plan B is good to go and I'm working on my re-app now. I would encourage anyone else in a similar position to me to do the same!

Are you on the wait list after calling now? I see a couple people on the wait list from November and December interviews, but did they call in?

You're absolutely right with new schools having fewer applications making them able to do this. However, I have spoken with the admissions coordinators, at new and established schools, that are dedicated to making the process a bit more transparent-- in terms of explaining what the review process is like beyond, "We'll e-mail you if we want to interview you, then after let you know at some point if you're accepted, wait listed, or rejected." Not that applicants would or should receive individualized communications about where they stand, but at the least receive that information when they call in to an admissions office. Again, you're right it's a seller market, this is just my $0.02.

I appreciate that. Fingers crossed that hold puts in a better rather than worse place, but we'll see. Solid advice too! My plan B is good to go and I'm working on my re-app now. I would encourage anyone else in a similar position to me to do the same!
Yeah, a couple people messaged me saying that they called recently and had been waitlisted right after (we all had called in the past and been told we were still under review).

Also, RFU, it’s a sellers market until it’s not. If someone has multiple accepts and they get this kind of run around during admission it discounts all of the effort put into a thoughtful interview day. My 2¢.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah, a couple people messaged me saying that they called recently and had been waitlisted right after (we all had called in the past and been told we were still under review).

Also, RFU, it’s a sellers market until it’s not. If someone has multiple accepts and they get this kind of run around during admission it discounts all of the effort put into a thoughtful interview day. My 2¢.
I am one of those people who called and was told my application was still under review. I was waitlisted yesterday as well as some of my other 11/15 companions. Sad because this isn't the news I was hoping to receive after all this time but happy because at least I have some sort of closure for now. Good luck to every one still waiting to hear and those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering if anyone on this thread (or if anyone knows someone who hasn't posted on this thread) has been accepted past the October 27th interview date? I know there have been a couple people saying "acceptances have been sent out and just not posted to SDN" but I think that unfounded logic is * almost* as hypothetical as saying "there have been no acceptances sent out since 10/27."

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone on this thread (or if anyone knows someone who hasn't posted on this thread) has been accepted past the October 27th interview date? I know there have been a couple people saying "acceptances have been sent out and just not posted to SDN" but I think that unfounded logic is * almost* as hypothetical as saying "there have no acceptances sent out since 10/27."

Perhaps there are some lurkers out there who’d be willing to chime in about their acceptances...?

I was wondering if anyone on this thread (or if anyone knows someone who hasn't posted on this thread) has been accepted past the October 27th interview date? I know there have been a couple people saying "acceptances have been sent out and just not posted to SDN" but I think that unfounded logic is * almost* as hypothetical as saying "there have no acceptances sent out since 10/27."
There are schools with class sizes of 60 where people have consistently posted about acceptances. Hard to believe that this thread is the only one where no one on SDN has been accepted in months. Sure it’s possible, but how likely?

Reactions: 4 users
I was wondering if anyone on this thread (or if anyone knows someone who hasn't posted on this thread) has been accepted past the October 27th interview date? I know there have been a couple people saying "acceptances have been sent out and just not posted to SDN" but I think that unfounded logic is * almost* as hypothetical as saying "there have been no acceptances sent out since 10/27."
It wasn't logic...
So, since everybody is flipping out, I asked someone in Admissions today what's happening...

There are schools with class sizes of 60 where people have consistently posted about acceptances. Hard to believe that this thread is the only one where no one on SDN has been accepted in months. Sure it’s possible, but how likely?
More likely that the very small cohort of SDN'ers (relative to the total applicant pool) didn't get one, then that a rolling admissions school decided mid cycle to change their policy...

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted on Tuesday. Interviewed 11/15.

Hopefully, we get movement. This is my #1 school since im from the area.

Waitlisted on Tuesday. Interviewed 11/15.

Hopefully, we get movement. This is my #1 school since im from the area.

Did you hear anything from them in between? 5 months seems like a long silence!

Did you hear anything from them in between? 5 months seems like a long silence!

Nope, seems like things are happening differently this year. Looking at the posts above it seems someone else was the same way. I thought I was rejected so I’ll take the waitlist lol.

So, since everybody is flipping out, I asked someone in Admissions today what's happening...

There are 162 confirmed acceptances so far and 200 on the waiting list for a class of 188. They are waiting to hear from a couple of the feeder programs to fill out the rest of the numbers (those spots have to be held for those students per agreements) and also expect there to be a significant amount of WL movement after April 30th.
They also said that they have most definitely been communicating with applicants, so if you think you haven't heard back, then you need to check all your email folders (spam, promotions, etc.) If you're on the WL, then you definitely got an email.

Also, RFU g0t 12,600 apps this year and interviewed/will interview nearly 1000 folks. Each of those apps has to get screened (first by CASPR, then by academic metrics), then the ones that pass the minimum bars for those get reviewed holistically (read for an hour by an adcom) before it goes to the committee for decision to interview or not. After interview, there is another committee meeting to review apps again before the decision.
All of that takes time. Lots of time. And you want them to take that time, because if they only took 5 min with your app and got back to everybody faster, you'd stand much less of a chance of actually getting in.

On a personal note, probably a quarter of my classmates this year got their acceptances in May or June last year, so there really is plenty of hope on the wait list.
So, if you've interviewed and are on the wait list, hang in there.
If you interviewed and don't know if you're on the wait list, search your email.
And if you haven't been invited to interview, well... hopefully you have other options/ a plan B.

Nice to know that I won’t be the only one to show up on admitted student day!

Looks like things are so quiet this week. How is everyone hanging so far? Any updates? Based on last year's thread the April interview should begin this week. Could this mean RFU is moving waitlist earlier this year?

Yes they are interviewing still. Source: interview this Friday

Sent from my XT1254 using SDN mobile

Last two years they are still interviewing. Not sure about this year since no one has posted anything yet.
According to many current students on this thread, just because no one is posting doesn’t mean people aren’t interviewing. In fact hundreds of acceptances have gone out since October 15th despite the fact that no one has posted about one since October 27th. It’s all just coincidental.

According to many current students on this thread, just because no one is posting doesn’t mean people aren’t interviewing. In fact hundreds of acceptances have gone out since October 15th despite the fact that no one has posted about one since October 27th. It’s all just coincidental.
gotcha. thanks

I mean, you can choose to believe it's a conspiracy theory, but we are still interviewing and acceptances have gone out. SDN is a pretty small sample size. I'm not sure what more you want us to say.

I mean, you can choose to believe it's a conspiracy theory, but we are still interviewing and acceptances have gone out. SDN is a pretty small sample size. I'm not sure what more you want us to say.

Maybe you could speak to why there are still people waiting for a decision who interviewed last fall?

Everybody relax, I will be attending admitted students day on Saturday and will make sure to share with y’all approximately how many students show up.

Everybody relax, I will be attending admitted students day on Saturday and will make sure to share with y’all approximately how many students show up.
I'm also attending admitted student day. Anyone else attending?? :happy::happy: For reference: I too interviewed on October 6th and was accepted October 31st.

So I was at admitted student day today and counted maybe 50 accepted students from Chicago medical school that attended, the rest of the students were all from other programs.

Reactions: 6 users
For anyone who got accepted, what was the title of the email? Just want to know if I should be happy or sad when I see the decision email in my inbox

For anyone who got accepted, what was the title of the email? Just want to know if I should be happy or sad when I see the decision email in my inbox

Btw I called, and they said they aren't giving any more acceptances until May. They still haven't told me if I'm on a waitlist, a hold, or anything at all.

May will be ~24 weeks post interview, when they told me it would be about 6.

I'm withdrawing. What a waste of my time and money to invite me to go there and then never contact me again.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm still waiting for my interview invitation :rolleyes:

Don't bother going if you get invited. You'll take time off work, then spend money to get there and to stay in a hotel, and then they'll never talk to you again to let you know if you're accepted, rejected, waitlisted, whatever. They're so rude.

Don't bother going if you get invited. You'll take time off work, then spend money to get there and to stay in a hotel, and then they'll never talk to you again to let you know if you're accepted, rejected, waitlisted, whatever. They're so rude.

I know you said you called the admissions office, but did you ask about your specific application (did you give them your name)? I’m pretty sure that someone else in this thread thought they were in the same situation as you but when they finally called and asked about their app specifically it turned out that they had been waitlisted and has either missed the email or it had gone to their spam box.

I know you said you called the admissions office, but did you ask about your specific application (did you give them your name)? I’m pretty sure that someone else in this thread thought they were in the same situation as you but when they finally called and asked about their app specifically it turned out that they had been waitlisted and has either missed the email or it had gone to their spam box.

Yup, I did ask about my application using my name.

"No decision."

Btw I called, and they said they aren't giving any more acceptances until May. They still haven't told me if I'm on a waitlist, a hold, or anything at all.

May will be ~24 weeks post interview, when they told me it would be about 6.

I'm withdrawing. What a waste of my time and money to invite me to go there and then never contact me again.

I totally understand your frustration but it sounds like you have other acceptances. Take them and run!

Great Scott! Proof of a post 10/27 acceptance!

Nobody who interviewed on October 27th or after has received (according to SDN) an acceptance. I HIGHLY doubt a single accept has gone out for anyone who interviewed on that date or after. Sure it's possible those people aren't posting on SDN, but we would see that in other school threads too if that were the case and I haven't observed that anywhere else. I'm still waiting in limbo after interviewing October 27th... I have other accepts and this has left a horrible impression on me for RFU but I'm sticking it out to just to see how long it takes them to give me a post-interview decision.

Nobody who interviewed on October 27th or after has received (according to SDN) an acceptance. I HIGHLY doubt a single accept has gone out for anyone who interviewed on that date or after. Sure it's possible those people aren't posting on SDN, but we would see that in other school threads too if that were the case and I haven't observed that anywhere else. I'm still waiting in limbo after interviewing October 27th... I have other accepts and this has left a horrible impression on me for RFU but I'm sticking it out to just to see how long it takes them to give me a post-interview decision.
I think the guy said he was accepted on the 29th, but I agree nothing meaningful has happened since. I also agree that RFU has shot themselves in the foot with how they've handled post-interview communications

I agree, I don’t think this school has accepted anyone that has interviewed 10/27 or after either..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I totally understand your frustration but it sounds like you have other acceptances. Take them and run!

Yep.

I like the proximity to home and the students seem cool. I would have considered it as an option, but honestly, any other school treats it's students and applicants better. They're just seriously out of line. Hence the withdrawal.

Attachments

• 720991D1-DAE2-4656-B3D9-AD02CD672C60.gif
    720991D1-DAE2-4656-B3D9-AD02CD672C60.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: 2 users
I think the guy said he was accepted on the 29th, but I agree nothing meaningful has happened since. I also agree that RFU has shot themselves in the foot with how they've handled post-interview communications

Right so there was a round of acceptances in late October for people who had interviewed earlier but for people who interviewed October 27th and after it seems like there hasn't been a single acceptance. It's honestly comical to me at this point.

I attended admitted students day and found this information. They have accepted about 170 students for a class of about 190. They said they are holding spots for a program where they admit students with low income/disadvantages and are expecting to have a full class by the end of the month. They also said that they changed their admission strategy this year to try and have a higher yield. It seems to be working as while there were only about 50 students that attended, almost everyone I talked to said that they were definitely coming to Rosalind Franklin and the admissions counselor i talked to said they have had very few acceptances withdrawn. As a side note, every person I talked to said that they were admitted on Halloween. While it is inexcusable to not get back to students after interviews, I am hoping that they realize this year that the new admissions strategy is working and next year they do not invite over 1000 candidates to interview for what seems like less than 130 spots (after you account for pre-admit programs like the Masters of Biomedical Sciences - about 40 matriculate, low income/disadvantaged program - about 20 matriculants, and the early admit program through DePaul).

Reactions: 2 users