2017-2018 Rosalind Franklin University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I attended admitted students day and found this information. They have accepted about 170 students for a class of about 190. They said they are holding spots for a program where they admit students with low income/disadvantages and are expecting to have a full class by the end of the month. They also said that they changed their admission strategy this year to try and have a higher yield. It seems to be working as while there were only about 50 students that attended, almost everyone I talked to said that they were definitely coming to Rosalind Franklin and the admissions counselor i talked to said they have had very few acceptances withdrawn. As a side note, every person I talked to said that they were admitted on Halloween. While it is inexcusable to not get back to students after interviews, I am hoping that they realize this year that the new admissions strategy is working and next year they do not invite over 1000 candidates to interview for what seems like less than 130 spots (after you account for pre-admit programs like the Masters of Biomedical Sciences - about 40 matriculate, low income/disadvantaged program - about 20 matriculants, and the early admit program through DePaul).

Thanks for the information. Just another frustration and disappointment, in what’s been a frustrating and disappointing cycle for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I attended admitted students day and found this information. They have accepted about 170 students for a class of about 190. They said they are holding spots for a program where they admit students with low income/disadvantages and are expecting to have a full class by the end of the month. They also said that they changed their admission strategy this year to try and have a higher yield. It seems to be working as while there were only about 50 students that attended, almost everyone I talked to said that they were definitely coming to Rosalind Franklin and the admissions counselor i talked to said they have had very few acceptances withdrawn. As a side note, every person I talked to said that they were admitted on Halloween. While it is inexcusable to not get back to students after interviews, I am hoping that they realize this year that the new admissions strategy is working and next year they do not invite over 1000 candidates to interview for what seems like less than 130 spots (after you account for pre-admit programs like the Masters of Biomedical Sciences - about 40 matriculate, low income/disadvantaged program - about 20 matriculants, and the early admit program through DePaul).

Is having not many accepted students withdraw by now a big deal though? Wouldn't the majority of students who are accepted at multiple places probably just wait until the deadline (May 1) to drop all but one? Also arent the people who attend admitted students day at any school usually deadset on attending (considering how expensive it is to travel to a school that you have already seen)?

Correct me if im wrong - I very well could be. Also, any info on expected WL movement? Any insider news @Aeyrinne/other current students?

Thanks very much for the updates!

I am just trying to do the math here, assume 50 students +40 students from master program+20 special program+ 10 early assurance will definitely attend, that leaves roughly an additional 70 more spots left.

Does that mean the 70 spots may potentially become available for waitlist? Or would it be a much smaller number?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is having not many accepted students withdraw by now a big deal though? Wouldn't the majority of students who are accepted at multiple places probably just wait until the deadline (May 1) to drop all but one? Also arent the people who attend admitted students day at any school usually deadset on attending (considering how expensive it is to travel to a school that you have already seen)?

Correct me if im wrong - I very well could be. Also, any info on expected WL movement? Any insider news @Aeyrinne/other current students?

There will likely be a large amount of WL movement starting in May. April 30th is the multiple acceptance deadline, so you can expect that many of the students who are currently intending to come to CMS in the fall will be getting off the WL at other schools. Last year there were 12 posts to SDN from people saying they got in after May 1st or so, and it is probably the case that the actual number of people who received acceptances after that date are 2x-5x as many (I would bet that 25-60 people received acceptances after May 1st last year). So yes, at this point its basically a waiting game to see what happens.

If you get accepted off either of the two waitlists you're on would you go to either of those schools.

I am just trying to do the math here, assume 50 students +40 students from master program+20 special program+ 10 early assurance will definitely attend, that leaves roughly an additional 70 more spots left.

Does that mean the 70 spots may potentially become available for waitlist? Or would it be a much smaller number?

I think the more pertinent issue at this point in time is available space. They are definitely nearing capacity for the class, and I would bet that there is an unlimited amount of space on the waiting list (that is, I think that anyone they deem "acceptable" from the interview will be placed on the WL if they don't have enough room at the time). So what this is all likely gonna come down to is how many of the current incoming students get accepted off the WL at other schools and decide to jump ship.

From the post above by the guy who recently attended admitted students day, it sounds like RFU has taken steps this year to try to cut down on the number of people who leave after getting late offers from other schools. I'm sure they will meet with some success on that front, but at the end of the day, RFU isn't Harvard, Johns Hopkins, or UCLA, some of their admitted students will get offers from other schools, and some of them will change their enrollment plans. We might not see as much WL movement as we did last year, but there absolutely will be movement.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it really true that 60+ spots are promised to folks from other programs? That’s a third of their class!

Where do people who interviewed and who were put on "hold" (separate group from the waitlist) stand? Has anyone figured this out yet?

Where do people who interviewed and who were put on "hold" (separate group from the waitlist) stand? Has anyone figured this out yet?

If they're put on hold, it means Adcoms haven't made a final decision yet. Could be they didn't get to their app during that monthly meeting, didn't finish deliberating, etc. They'll be reviewed again during the next month's meeting. If you haven't been rejected, you still have a chance.

Is it really true that 60+ spots are promised to folks from other programs? That’s a third of their class!

I don't think there's a set number. Some programs are guaranteed an interview, but they aren't guaranteed an acceptance or anything. Also, acceptances have been rescinded in the past when people in those programs couldn't keep their grades up.

I haven't heard anything, but I personally don't think any news will come out until after 4/30 aka traffic day. It sucks, but if you were not successful this cycle, I would definitely start thinking about Plan B.

This school is very unprofessional and quite inconsiderate. My application has been complete for over 7 months now and I have yet to hear anything pre-interview. I've emailed multiple times asking for specifics about my application and their response never fails to change, "your application is still under review, we appreciate your patience". Do you really "appreciate" my patience? Get your **** together RF.

Reactions: 2 users
This school is very unprofessional and quite inconsiderate. My application has been complete for over 7 months now and I have yet to hear anything pre-interview. I've emailed multiple times asking for specifics about my application and their response never fails to change, "your application is still under review, we appreciate your patience". Do you really "appreciate" my patience? Get your **** together RF.
You can consider that a silent rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only program that is promised a seat is the Depaul BS/MD and that's a very small number of people (I think we have 3-5 people in the current M1 class). The BMS program grants an automatic interview but it's not a guaranteed acceptance, and the acceptance is conditional. There is a good chance that a few acceptance will be rescended from those students who don't get B's or above in all over their classes.

Last edited:

This happens at a lot of schools, by the way. If you haven't heard anything by now, I would move on.

Reactions: 3 users
This happens at a lot of schools, by the way. If you haven't heard anything by now, I would move on.
Didn't happen at any of the other schools I applied to. I think it's fair to say that RF's cycle has been a little odd this year.

Didn't happen at any of the other schools I applied to. I think it's fair to say that RF's cycle has been a little odd this year.

Wait...

If you just applied and didn't hear anything... that's called a silent rejection. I got a silent rejection from another school, too. While yes, it's kind of rude to just take our money and run, it's not that uncommon for schools to do that.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding -- did you interview and then they went silent? I think that's pretty unusual among medical schools. I have not had that happen at another school, and have not heard of it happening to anyone else at other schools. It's happened to a lot of people at RF, and I agree, it's super messed up.

Still haven't heard anything since being complete in early August. Guess that 8-10 week estimate was a tad off

So I was placed on hold in early January and hadn't heard anything-- I called and the person I spoke to seemed surprised that I hadn't gotten an email about anything yet. They spoke with someone else in admissions and I got the WL email that same day. My two cents is that if you've been on hold for a while, it might be worth giving a call.

You can consider that a silent rejection.

Oh at this point I realize that it's 99.9% a silent rejection. It's just a little irritating that every time I email them they tell me that my application is still under review. They don't even have the decency to actually look to see what is going on with my application. I guess my money is worth less than others' who at least got the courtesy of a rejection email. Kind of ironic that they're unable to display the qualities that they're seeking (i.e. professionalism, courtesy, and empathy). Good luck to everyone else.

Oh at this point I realize that it's 99.9% a silent rejection. It's just a little irritating that every time I email them they tell me that my application is still under review. They don't even have the decency to actually look to see what is going on with my application. I guess my money is worth less than others' who at least got the courtesy of a rejection email. Kind of ironic that they're unable to display the qualities that they're seeking (i.e. professionalism, courtesy, and empathy). Good luck to everyone else.
Those who got a rejection email already were not even considered for an interview. They might have been considering to invite you for an interview but found more "qualified" candidates.

Wait...

If you just applied and didn't hear anything... that's called a silent rejection. I got a silent rejection from another school, too. While yes, it's kind of rude to just take our money and run, it's not that uncommon for schools to do that.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding -- did you interview and then they went silent? I think that's pretty unusual among medical schools. I have not had that happen at another school, and have not heard of it happening to anyone else at other schools. It's happened to a lot of people at RF, and I agree, it's super messed up.
Lol, yes, I'm pre-II at RF and I know what a silent rejection is and all about having a Plan B, etc. I'm merely observing that it's awfully late for RF to be holding onto some pre-II applicants even though it has rejected others. Every other school has gotten back to me one way or another, and most schools that do delayed or silent rejections seem to take the all-or-nothing approach. Thus, to me, in my humble opinion and experience, and given other people's input on this thread, RF's process this year seems haphazard compared to other schools. That's all. Hopefully nothing to get into a heated discussion about. :)

Lol, yes, I'm pre-II at RF and I know what a silent rejection is and all about having a Plan B, etc. I'm merely observing that it's awfully late for RF to be holding onto some pre-II applicants even though it has rejected others. Every other school has gotten back to me one way or another, and most schools that do delayed or silent rejections seem to take the all-or-nothing approach. Thus, to me, in my humble opinion and experience, and given other people's input on this thread, RF's process this year seems haphazard compared to other schools. That's all. Hopefully nothing to get into a heated discussion about. :)

Oh, got it.

Yeah, nobody denies that they need to get their $#!t together over there in the Rosalind Franklin CMS admissions office.

Hopefully you get in somewhere more organized (and respectful)!

Accepted today; I was waitlisted after interviewing in January. To my fellow waitlisters, there's still hope! I hope the distress of uncertainty doesn't deter you from waiting or trying again if necessary. The reality is there really are a limited number of seats for a large pool of candidates, but if you've made the waitlist it's because there's a chance you could be accepted. I don't believe that any issues in status updates between AdComs and applicants are caused by malicious intents, and encourage you to keep faith in spite of them.

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted today morning. Interviewed 11/15, no correspondence until I called twice and finally got the waitlist email 3/27

Reactions: 10 users

They have said that in the past, they have had little waitlist movement. For your second question, no, it does not make sense to hold multiple acceptances to schools that you know you are not going to attend. It is inconsiderate to other applicants and the school. Your last question, definitely not, admitted students day is both for students who are deadset on attending as well as students who are deciding between multiple schools. Admitted students day is usually a great way to find out if you would fit in at the school. It is not expensive for most students to travel to RFU as most of the admits are from Illinois, in fact everyone I met was from Illinois.

No, you are doing the math wrong. There were approximately fifty students that attended admitted students day. That number includes people who were accepted in any way. At this point, there are no spots left and will not be any until May 1 when others back out with other acceptances. Expect there to be waitlist movement because as of now, they do not even have a full class, so they definitely will not after May 1.

If you get accepted off either of the two waitlists you're on would you go to either of those schools.

Fortunately for everyone else on this forum, yes. Right now Chicago med is my 3rd choice and if I get accepted from either waitlist I am currently on, I will be withdrawing - so do not lose hope.

Oh, got it.

Yeah, nobody denies that they need to get their $#!t together over there in the Rosalind Franklin CMS admissions office.

Hopefully you get in somewhere more organized (and respectful)!
Thanks! Hope your cycle is going well too!

Accepted today; I was waitlisted after interviewing in January. To my fellow waitlisters, there's still hope! I hope the distress of uncertainty doesn't deter you from waiting or trying again if necessary. The reality is there really are a limited number of seats for a large pool of candidates, but if you've made the waitlist it's because there's a chance you could be accepted. I don't believe that any issues in status updates between AdComs and applicants are caused by malicious intents, and encourage you to keep faith in spite of them.

Accepted today morning. Interviewed 11/15, no correspondence until I called twice and finally got the waitlist email 3/27
Congrats to the both of you on being accepted! I was surprised to see that RFU extended acceptances to those on the WL before May 1st, as I believe they told other admitted students no further acceptances would be offered until then. Would either of you feel comfortable sharing if you have received other acceptances/waitlist decisions and where RFU ranks among the others?

Congrats to the both of you on being accepted! I was surprised to see that RFU extended acceptances to those on the WL before May 1st, as I believe they told other admitted students no further acceptances would be offered until then. Would either of you feel comfortable sharing if you have received other acceptances/waitlist decisions and where RFU ranks among the others?

I guess we've all learned a lesson: don't trust anything CMS admissions reps say.

Accepted this morning as well!!:laugh::laugh:

Interviewed early December, no correspondence until I called two weeks ago and was told on "hold"

Reactions: 6 users

I applied pretty late in the cycle and didn't apply to many schools. No other acceptances; I'm on the waitlist at one out-of-state school and it's kind of a "let's cross that bridge when we get there" problem. Chicago has always been home for me but the prospect of attending a prestigious school in a foreign city and starting a "new life" is definitely enticing. Of course, that's a hypothetical dilemma right now. But I guess you could say there's a chance that my spot opens up, which I think was the intent of the question? :) Trying to keep the hope alive!

I applied pretty late in the cycle and didn't apply to many schools. No other acceptances; I'm on the waitlist at one out-of-state school and it's kind of a "let's cross that bridge when we get there" problem. Chicago has always been home for me but the prospect of attending a prestigious school in a foreign city and starting a "new life" is definitely enticing. Of course, that's a hypothetical dilemma right now. But I guess you could say there's a chance that my spot opens up, which I think was the intent of the question? :) Trying to keep the hope alive!
Thanks for the reply! Best of luck to you:)

The title of the acceptance email is "Chicago Medical School Decision Notification" with the letter shown below:

Dear XXX

Congratulations! On behalf of the students, faculty and staff at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS), we are pleased to offer you admission* to the Allopathic Medicine program in the Chicago Medical School at RFUMS for fall 2018.

The Admissions Committee commends your fine achievements and personal characteristics as each year we admit a very select group of students who demonstrate a high level of academic preparedness who are both accomplished and can contribute diversity of thought and perspective to our incoming class.

Expect to thrive in an interprofessional healthcare environment where you will find state-of-the-art learning facilities, dedicated and involved faculty, and a diverse student population to support you in your education.

Last edited:
The title of the acceptance email is "Chicago Medical School Decision Notification"

Here is my stat: Lizzy 72, IS.....

Last edited:
Also accepted Friday after interviewing early December and being put on hold at the beginning of January.

Reactions: 6 users
The title of the acceptance email is "Chicago Medical School Decision Notification" with the letter shown below:

Dear XXX

Congratulations! On behalf of the students, faculty and staff at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS), we are pleased to offer you admission* to the Allopathic Medicine program in the Chicago Medical School at RFUMS for fall 2018.

The Admissions Committee commends your fine achievements and personal characteristics as each year we admit a very select group of students who demonstrate a high level of academic preparedness who are both accomplished and can contribute diversity of thought and perspective to our incoming class.

Expect to thrive in an interprofessional healthcare environment where you will find state-of-the-art learning facilities, dedicated and involved faculty, and a diverse student population to support you in your education.

Was the email from an @AAMC email address or a Rosalind Franklin email address? I'm on the waitlist and feeling a little worried because I'm one of the people that interviewed in November, didn't hear anything for forever, finally called and asked to check my application in March, and was told I had already been waitlisted and sent the email in December. But the thing is, I definitely never got an email (not in spam, promotions, anywhere). So if I were accepted, I'm worried that I somehow wouldn't get the email. I have been getting @AAMC emails though. So yeah, just thought I'd ask - thanks.

Was the email from an @AAMC email address or a Rosalind Franklin email address? I'm on the waitlist and feeling a little worried because I'm one of the people that interviewed in November, didn't hear anything for forever, finally called and asked to check my application in March, and was told I had already been waitlisted and sent the email in December. But the thing is, I definitely never got an email (not in spam, promotions, anywhere). So if I were accepted, I'm worried that I somehow wouldn't get the email. I have been getting @AAMC emails though. So yeah, just thought I'd ask - thanks.

The email was from a Rosalind Franklin address and actually went to my "promotions" tab rather than the normal part.. so yeah honestly given the movement this last week I would consider calling back possibly this week or the next to just check in

The email was from a Rosalind Franklin address and actually went to my "promotions" tab rather than the normal part.. so yeah honestly given the movement this last week I would consider calling back possibly this week or the next to just check in

Ok thanks. I will definitely call them in the morning. Uggh. The anxiety.

Hey guys. I was recently offered acceptance of the waitlist last Friday. I've received another acceptance and am trying to narrow down my decision before the 04/30 deadline. I loved the atmosphere of RFU but it seems like every person I talk to seems to think that controversy and a bad reputation plague the university. I don't remember hearing anything adverse at the interview day, just that they were trying out a new curriculum for the 2018 incoming class. Can anyone tell me why people are saying that RFU isn't the best choice? I honestly am happy to go to any medical school, but I'm curious as to what people are gossiping about. Does anyone know the inside scoop?

Hey guys. I was recently offered acceptance of the waitlist last Friday. I've received another acceptance and am trying to narrow down my decision before the 04/30 deadline. I loved the atmosphere of RFU but it seems like every person I talk to seems to think that controversy and a bad reputation plague the university. I don't remember hearing anything adverse at the interview day, just that they were trying out a new curriculum for the 2018 incoming class. Can anyone tell me why people are saying that RFU isn't the best choice? I honestly am happy to go to any medical school, but I'm curious as to what people are gossiping about. Does anyone know the inside scoop?
Where is your other acceptance?

What’s your other MD option? I can’t think of a ton of MD programs where there would be much of a debate, other than Caribbean MD programs or something extreme like that.

I don’t know what other people think or why they say that CMS at RFU is not the best MD program. The reasons that I personally think this are:

1) The absolutely horrible admissions practices. The admissions staff has shown complete disregard for applicants, and has not held true to their word on multiple occasions.
2) The minimal clinical research opportunities available for students. They are making a new research building, but it sounds like it is going to host a lot of basic sciences research.
3) The fact that they were recently on probation for “administrative issues,” combined with the fact that there is not a lot of information on this topic that is readily available.
4) There is no hospital on campus, and I’m not able to identify which is the school’s primary hospital affiliation(s). It sounds like the students are required to move around a lot for the clinical years.
5) Starting a new curriculum. It’s never good to be the test-subjects for a brand new curriculum.
6) Age of the faculty. While it’s never polite to be ageist, I do think that a very aged faculty tends to make a school less adaptable and less responsive to feedback. “If they’ve been doing it this way forever, why change?” Is often the attitude.
7) Low reputation generally, and more specifically among residency program directors.
8). I personally am not a fan of the exact location, in the suburbs about half way between Milwaukee and Chicago.
9) Tuition: it may or may not be higher than your other options. It’s comparable to a lot of other private schools.

Students seemed really chill tho. So maybe that makes up for a lot? Lol...

Called in and found out I was on the wait list. Last I called, near the end of March, they said I was still on hold and would hear by the end of April. I was surprised since I have Rosalind Franklin saved as a contact and keep my spam and my other tabs clean. They apologized that I didn't receive a notification and said they would resend it along with the decision date. All there is to do now is to wait until after April 30th.

They apologized that I didn't receive a notification
Lol, probably the same reason I *still* haven't gotten my pre-II rejection notice.
Actually, on that note, I will make this my farewell post.
Best wishes to those who've been accepted and fingers crossed for those still waiting to hear!

Where is your other acceptance?
Medical College of Wisconsin, so before talking to other Physicians/medical students, I believed both schools to be on an equal playing field.

What’s your other MD option? I can’t think of a ton of MD programs where there would be much of a debate, other than Caribbean MD programs or something extreme like that.

I don’t know what other people think or why they say that CMS at RFU is not the best MD program. The reasons that I personally think this are:

1) The absolutely horrible admissions practices. The admissions staff has shown complete disregard for applicants, and has not held true to their word on multiple occasions.
2) The minimal clinical research opportunities available for students. They are making a new research building, but it sounds like it is going to host a lot of basic sciences research.
3) The fact that they were recently on probation for “administrative issues,” combined with the fact that there is not a lot of information on this topic that is readily available.
4) There is no hospital on campus, and I’m not able to identify which is the school’s primary hospital affiliation(s). It sounds like the students are required to move around a lot for the clinical years.
5) Starting a new curriculum. It’s never good to be the test-subjects for a brand new curriculum.
6) Age of the faculty. While it’s never polite to be ageist, I do think that a very aged faculty tends to make a school less adaptable and less responsive to feedback. “If they’ve been doing it this way forever, why change?” Is often the attitude.
7) Low reputation generally, and more specifically among residency program directors.
8). I personally am not a fan of the exact location, in the suburbs about half way between Milwaukee and Chicago.
9) Tuition: it may or may not be higher than your other options. It’s comparable to a lot of other private schools.

Students seemed really chill tho. So maybe that makes up for a lot? Lol...
Wow...I didn't realize that RFU was recently on probation for "administrative issues" (who knows what that could even mean). I knew that there wasn't an affiliated hospital and that it is a statistically low-ranked school, but I never knew that residency program directors had a negative perception of the school. Wasn't one of RFU's selling points was that they have a great Match statistic and that students typically get into one of their top three choices? Thank you for all this information. I appreciate your feedback.