2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I got a hot scoop from a vascular surgeon who teaches touro's students at Middletown. Basically, good school at Middltetown , especially for surgery rotations. Thinks students do well on rotations and come prepared.

It was pleasant to meet everyone who interviewed here on 12/4. Good luck.
An absolute pleasure meeting such a wonderful group! Wish you all the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I got a hot scoop from a vascular surgeon who teaches touro's students at Middletown. Basically, good school at Middltetown , especially for surgery rotations. Thinks students do well on rotations and come prepared.

That’s awesome! How did you hear this if you don’t mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
II invite just now for Middletown, however I have strong preference for the Harlem campus. The email said it’s an interview to be considered for TouroCOM Middletown class of 2022.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to change locations for interviews and tentative acceptances? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II at the Harlem Campus.
Complete: Oct 22

I'm assuming if no one heard from the 11/6 date that the 11/13 hasn't heard back too.

This waiting is so difficult!!

I'm assuming if no one heard from the 11/6 date that the 11/13 hasn't heard back too.

This waiting is so difficult!!
I agree. They told us we wouldn't know till mid Jan...Dec 4th interview (so maybe 4-6 wks)

I agree. They told us we wouldn't know till mid Jan...Dec 4th interview (so maybe 4-6 wks)
Received email this morning that I was waitlisted (Harlem) which is okay as I was accepted 5 days ago into my #1 choice program - good luck to all waiting for positive news!!!

Reactions: 2 users
II invite just now for Middletown, however I have strong preference for the Harlem campus. The email said it’s an interview to be considered for TouroCOM Middletown class of 2022.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to change locations for interviews and tentative acceptances? Thanks in advance.

when were you complete?

I'm also waiting to hear back! Nov 6 interview at Middletown
Did anyone get a response?

yeah i also interviewed november 6th at middletown. Still haven’t heard anything yet either

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at the Harlem campus on the 15th, was actually pretty amazing! Also spent a couple of days partying in NYC with some friends so that was pretty chill

Completed 09/06, II given on 10/10, Interviewed 11/15 for Harlem, acceptance offer given on 11/22 - will not be putting in the $2,000 deposit that's due 12/8 down even though this is my only acceptance thus far. INCREDIBLY grateful for their admissions offer, but 2k is just wayyyyy too much for me to gamble for now. Good luck to everyone else!

Hi everyone, I'll be attending TouroCOM Middletown next Fall 2018, and I just wanted to add to this post- I work as a scribe in the ER of one of TouroCOM's affiliate teaching hospitals, and the ER physicians with whom I work with on a daily basis say the same thing with regard to the quality of education at TouroCOM Middletown. As a matter of fact, aside from the surgery rotations mentioned above, the ER rotations at this particular hospital are also solid and a good teaching experience for students, as per the ER physicians I work with, as this particular ER is very busy, and has many codes, traumas, etc., walking in through the door 24/7.

Hi everyone, I'll be attending TouroCOM Middletown next Fall 2018, and I just wanted to add to this post- I work as a scribe in the ER of one of TouroCOM's affiliate teaching hospitals, and the ER physicians with whom I work with on a daily basis say the same thing with regard to the quality of education at TouroCOM Middletown. As a matter of fact, aside from the surgery rotations mentioned above, the ER rotations at this particular hospital are also solid and a good teaching experience for students, as per the ER physicians I work with, as this particular ER is very busy, and has many codes, traumas, etc., walking in through the door 24/7.
That’s great to hear what hospital if you don’t mind me asking

Could you elaborate lol[/QUOTE
The vascular surgeon is a long time friend. They didn't know I was interviewing till I came to visit. Naturally, I wanted his personal opinion on the program because I trust him. It made me feel good about interviewing here. He wouldn't mislead me. I read some negatives about this program off this forum, obviously some with bias and not reliable. However, I wanted to know if there was real concern and there was not for him, which put any doubt to rest for me.

Just withdrew my acceptance - good luck everyone!

So I reached out to random Med students on FB and they all had great things to say!!

Got an II for mid Jan. 2018 for Harlem campus, Can anyone comment If this late interview could be just for wait list spot only?

Is there a FB group for accepted students at Harlem?

Any interview advice for middletown? thank in advance!!

So I received secondary to ny touro first week of November. I just saw it in my spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it too late to send my secondary?

Any interview advice for middletown? thank in advance!!
Note any weaknesses in your application and understand how to articulate how and why you have/will overcome them?
Be able to discuss any major topics in healthcare today...i.e disparities, healthcare delivery, ect..
Why osteopathic medicine?
Why Touro?

Of course, the sky is the limit with questions, but the above should at least cover 1-2 questions you should be able to answer.
Interview about 25 minutes

Can someone who is a current student give some feedback on "mandatory classes" please? I have never been a fan of mandatory classes as I learn a lot better on my own time. I know these mandatory ones are clickers but I am not sure how that exactly works and for how many hours a day? Thanks!

Interviewing at Harlem this week, would anyone care to elaborate on their Harlem interview, such as what questions to expect? First interview and I'm super nervous

Interviewing at Harlem this week, would anyone care to elaborate on their Harlem interview, such as what questions to expect? First interview and I'm super nervous

I interviewed and was accepted at the Harlem campus. Feel free to PM me with questions! :)

Can someone who is a current student give some feedback on "mandatory classes" please? I have never been a fan of mandatory classes as I learn a lot better on my own time. I know these mandatory ones are clickers but I am not sure how that exactly works and for how many hours a day? Thanks!

1st year here. So, let me break down what you need to know. Touro is flipped classroom; meaning that you watch these videos made by professors on the lectures for that week. From my experience these are generally better than going to lecture as the professor edits these videos and remake them to be clear and effective. After this your schedule "class time" each week you attend and the professor gives clicker questions on those lectures. You can easily see how well you comprehended the material and get a sense of exam questions. Clicker session are required. But guess what as an MS1 there are things you must learn in person; OMM, anatomy lab, physical diagnosis. So, though it sounds appealing to be #sweatpantschick and never leave your room, much of year 1 learning takes place in person and these clicker sessions are right after these in person things.

Clickers add up to 10% of your grade. You won't be able to get an A without going if that's what you are thinking. Also from personal experience I did a special masters program where class wasn't required and by the 2nd month I hated my life and was super stir crazy. There are a lot of fun people here at Touro and the Med school class has a bond I wouldn't want to miss. The key is to just not get behind in the lectures so that the going to the clicker sessions aren't useless.

1st year you'll have clickers Tuesday 9-10, lab 10-12. Then Wednesday you basically have class/ labs all day from 8-4 then Thursday you'll have clickers/lab again from 8-3 and Friday will be same as Tuesday.

When I am prepared I found clickers to be very usefully. If I am not its better to put in my earphones and just catch up and do work which is what a lot of people do. I certainly wouldn't let this be a make or break for the school.

Reactions: 8 users

Points to hit

Why do you want to be a D.O.?
Why do you want to make an impact in a low income area/ healthcare disparities?
Share an experience of how working with a patient(s) in your volunteer work inspired you
****Say something nice/interest in family medicine (they focus a lot on this) ***

One of my recommenders from undergrad knew I wanted to be a neurosurgeon and put it in my letter. I had explain that though, certain specialities sound "cool" its about actually living the life of those specialties and that I'm so interested in medicine I could see myself going into family practice because it touches on so much and is the first line of defense I would really feel like I was making a difference.

Got an II for mid Jan. 2018 for Harlem campus, Can anyone comment If this late interview could be just for wait list spot only?

You should be ok still. I interviewed in March and was waitlisted, but still there's generally heavy waitlist movement

1st year here. So, let me break down what you need to know. Touro is flipped classroom; meaning that you watch these videos made by professors on the lectures for that week. From my experience these are generally better than going to lecture as the professor edits these videos and remake them to be clear and effective. After this your schedule "class time" each week you attend and the professor gives clicker questions on those lectures. You can easily see how well you comprehended the material and get a sense of exam questions. Clicker session are required. But guess what as an MS1 there are things you must learn in person; OMM, anatomy lab, physical diagnosis. So, though it sounds appealing to be #sweatpantschick and never leave your room, much of year 1 learning takes place in person and these clicker sessions are right after these in person things.

Clickers add up to 10% of your grade. You won't be able to get an A without going if that's what you are thinking. Also from personal experience I did a special masters program where class wasn't required and by the 2nd month I hated my life and was super stir crazy. There are a lot of fun people here at Touro and the Med school class has a bond I wouldn't want to miss. The key is to just not get behind in the lectures so that the going to the clicker sessions aren't useless.

1st year you'll have clickers Tuesday 9-10, lab 10-12. Then Wednesday you basically have class/ labs all day from 8-4 then Thursday you'll have clickers/lab again from 8-3 and Friday will be same as Tuesday.

When I am prepared I found clickers to be very usefully. If I am not its better to put in my earphones and just catch up and do work which is what a lot of people do. I certainly wouldn't let this be a make or break for the school.
Thank you for such a detailed response! Can I ask you which Touro NY campus are you at and if you like that campus?

Just withdrew my acceptance today to Middletown. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

for those who have gotten II, how long did it take for you to get one after being completed?

Thank you for such a detailed response! Can I ask you which Touro NY campus are you at and if you like that campus?

I'm at the Harlem campus. I was very skeptical about Touro prior to my interview, you can chalk that up to the whole DO vs MD debate or the pics of the outside. But, one thing I've realized in the time its taken me to get here: students will always complain about something no matter the medical school. After undergrad I've worked at Temple Med and last year did an SMP at Tufts Med. IMO Touro has way better professors than both of those schools and students there complained about the same things (study rooms no windows, cold, crazy schedule). So when people are criticizing their medical school ask them what they have to compare it to or if its an n=1.

The area around the campus is nice enough to go get food if you don't pack it (can't say that about Temple) and there's a gym, and a decent amount of places to study. The anatomy lab is exactly as it sounds and the most importantly everyone here is good person with commendable character. I'm learning more and having a lot of fun.

Just be able to explain why osteopathic medicine and why that school. They may ask about research and volunteer stuff. Pretty typical questions. Super casual and everyone I met was super nice. Be confident and good luck!
I'm at the Harlem campus. I was very skeptical about Touro prior to my interview, you can chalk that up to the whole DO vs MD debate or the pics of the outside. But, one thing I've realized in the time its taken me to get here: students will always complain about something no matter the medical school. After undergrad I've worked at Temple Med and last year did an SMP at Tufts Med. IMO Touro has way better professors than both of those schools and students there complained about the same things (study rooms no windows, cold, crazy schedule). So when people are criticizing their medical school ask them what they have to compare it to or if its an n=1.

The area around the campus is nice enough to go get food if you don't pack it (can't say that about Temple) and there's a gym, and a decent amount of places to study. The anatomy lab is exactly as it sounds and the most importantly everyone here is good person with commendable character. I'm learning more and having a lot of fun.

Thanks for the information. How was the apartment hunting process in New York City? I’ve heard it’s very competitive. Any tips? I plan to start looking mid April for a July 1 move.

So...anyone from 11/6 interview hear back?

Hi! Does anyone know how often the Adcom meets and how long it takes to hear back approximately? Interviewed 12/4!

Hi! Does anyone know how often the Adcom meets and how long it takes to hear back approximately? Interviewed 12/4!
they told us no sooner than four weeks and as much as six.

So Monday you have no class?