2017-2018 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York (TouroCOM-NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on wednesday (edit: at harlem) and getting SO antsy. I've heard the turnaround has been 8 days as of recently. felt pretty grilled during the interview and this is my number one choice for sure i think.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on wednesday (edit: at harlem) and getting SO antsy. I've heard the turnaround has been 8 days as of recently. felt pretty grilled during the interview and this is my number one choice for sure i think.
Dang, 8 day turn-around?!

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody have any feedback or advice for an interview i have there in a few weeks?

Okay, I interviewed at Middletown, and so I am unsure if my experience will be applicable to your interview.

The day started with a talk from the Dean of Admissions, which lasted for about 30 to 45 minutes. They split the interview group in half; the first half interviews from 9 AM to 11 AM, while the other half is given a tour and lunch, and then vice versa, wherein the second group interviews from 11 AM to 1 PM. The interview was direct and cordial; both of my interviewers were kind and not aggressive in any way. I did receive about 3 ethical questions and about 4 to 5 less formal questions about why I wanted to become a DO and what about Touro did I like the most. After, we had a talk from the Immunology professor and a mock lecture. The faculty and staff who I met were friendly and welcoming, and the students I met seemed happy and excited for us. The other interviewees were also very kind and easy to get along with. Good luck!

is there anything youd recommend me doing to prep for my interview

is there anyone else out there in the sdn world who interviewed at touro's harlem campus recently that has some useful advice or tips for me on how to prepare or what i should be ready for on the interview?

its my first one and im nervous!

thanks in advance

is there anything youd recommend me doing to prep for my interview
I would say that you should touch up on high-yield interview ethical topics, whether it be euthanasia, vaccinations, etc., and formulate an opinion that you can support with facts and/or examples from your past healthcare experiences. From what I gathered from the other interviewers, I received a lot more ethical questions than some others. Also, focus on verbally practicing for your interview - The pace at which you talk and your body language. Believe it or not, that is what helped me most; by doing so, I felt like I was able to enter the interview feeling more confident in my verbal skills, which I believe plays a huge part in the way the interviewers assess you.

Members don't see this ad :)
ask your interviewers about our poor comlex scores and our bad rotation sites

I actually did ask about the scores, and someone else on my interview day asked about the rotation sites. Both questions were addressed. These aren't issues that can be fixed overnight, but they told us they are working on it. What do you expect them to respond with?

I actually did ask about the scores, and someone else on my interview day asked about the rotation sites. Both questions were addressed. These aren't issues that can be fixed overnight, but they told us they are working on it. What do you expect them to respond with?
He/she obviously wants them to get all choked up and start bawling during the interview. There would be no other way.

Reactions: 1 user
supposedly! kind of a double edged sword bc now this is literally all I'll be able to think about until I hear back haha. driving myself insane.
any feedback from your interview?
were you interviewed in harlem?

Rejection. Interviewed at Middletown 10/2. I'm kind of disappointed, but sort of relieved as well since I was not impressed by this school. Hopefully I'll get an acceptance after my next interview.

Can any current student at Middletown give me feedback on how difficult and stressful this school is? I have a friend who had the opportunity last cycle to enroll in Touro or NYIT, and she decided to go to NYIT for multiple reasons- one of them being that it's not as difficult/intense and there is rarely any student competition as compared to Touro. I am not sure where she got her information from, and I do know that medical school is difficult regardless, but what she meant was that Touro makes it more difficult than it needs to be. I would appreciate the input.

Rejection. Interviewed at Middletown 10/2. I'm kind of disappointed, but sort of relieved as well since I was not impressed by this school. Hopefully I'll get an acceptance after my next interview.
I'm sorry to hear about your rejection. I interviewed that day as well, and I have yet to hear back from the school regarding any decision.

Hey Guys, just heard today - will be interviewing at Harlem on 11/22

Hello everyone! Does anyone have suggestions about which kind of car I should rent when driving from JFK to Middletown in early December? I'm thinking 4 wheel drive...

Hello everyone! Does anyone have suggestions about which kind of car I should rent when driving from JFK to Middletown in early December? I'm thinking 4 wheel drive...
Why? They have highways.

It's not going to snow anytime soon lol

It's not going to snow anytime soon lol
haha thank you! what about icy roads??? saw it's going to be below 32 during the night for a week before I get there and in the mid 30's during the day... thanks for the input!

haha thank you! what about icy roads??? saw it's going to be below 32 during the night for a week before I get there and in the mid 30's during the day... thanks for the input!
I live less than an hour from Middletown. Sub-32 degree weather means frost on your windshield but unless it rains/snows the night before, the roads will be fine. This area is used to snowy weather/icy roads so if anything happens overnight it will be taken care of quickly. I would rent the cheapest car to save money!

Road conditions. It doesn't snow where I live, nor does it get as cold.

if you happen to be travelling on a day when it snows/ices, leave extra early and drive more slowly!

source: live in upstate NY.

Around what time did you guys receive acceptance emails?! I keep checking my email every 10 mins hoping for something lol

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted, Interviewed 10.2. Pretty stoked! Although I think I'll be attending a different school

Accepted today, but giving up my seat. Best of luck to everyone still in the application process, hopefully my seat goes to one of you! :)

Just accepted at Middletown as well! 10/2 interview

Interviewed 10/2 also. Probably not going here but I still thought the school was great. Plus, any acceptance is a nice confidence booster! Were you notified via email?

Interviewed 10/2 also. Probably not going here but I still thought the school was great. Plus, any acceptance is a nice confidence booster! Were you notified via email?
You think you can donate an MD acceptance my way pls?

Neither have I :(

Accepted! Interviewed on 10/2. I had a great interview experience, but I keep hearing/reading bad things about TouroCOM-middletown. I was hoping someone could comment on how intense the school is (I heard and read that they make it very hard to pass) and if there is pass or fail system in place? Also, I read that students do poorly on board scores at the middletown location because they have horrible clinical rotations?? Is this true?

Accepted! Interviewed on 10/2. I had a great interview experience, but I keep hearing/reading bad things about TouroCOM-middletown. I was hoping someone could comment on how intense the school is (I heard and read that they make it very hard to pass) and if there is pass or fail system in place? Also, I read that students do poorly on board scores at the middletown location because they have horrible clinical rotations?? Is this true?
The bad things youre hearing have to do with the overenrollment two cycles ago at the Harlem campus, from which the faculty were removed. Most of the good faculty went to Middletown, though there are still phenomenal teachers at Harlem. Anyways, what you heard is absolutely false. As with most US medical schools, once you are in, it takes a lot of effort to fail out, the school invested in you and wants to keep you. It takes effort to get an A, but is very possible. A large portion of the class gets a B, depending on the class. So far, we have had three people drop out: two with health issues and one with family problems. This is not a pass fail school, we have grades. Class competition is nonexistent, we are graded against the class before us and thus are very receptive to sharing notes and strategies. We help each other get A's, only one or two gunners remain.

As for clinical rotations, that is a concern. Harlem is losing some sites, but I dont know enough to comment. Middletown actually gained an extra site and is in the process of procuring more. Some sites are not great, which leads to lower COMLEX II scores, but I know they are getting better every year. I really think the scores will improve by the time we get there. One of the best things is how receptive the school is to suggestions, and is at least willing to listen.

The bad things youre hearing have to do with the overenrollment two cycles ago at the Harlem campus, from which the faculty were removed. Most of the good faculty went to Middletown, though there are still phenomenal teachers at Harlem. Anyways, what you heard is absolutely false. As with most US medical schools, once you are in, it takes a lot of effort to fail out, the school invested in you and wants to keep you. It takes effort to get an A, but is very possible. A large portion of the class gets a B, depending on the class. So far, we have had three people drop out: two with health issues and one with family problems. This is not a pass fail school, we have grades. Class competition is nonexistent, we are graded against the class before us and thus are very receptive to sharing notes and strategies. We help each other get A's, only one or two gunners remain.

As for clinical rotations, that is a concern. Harlem is losing some sites, but I dont know enough to comment. Middletown actually gained an extra site and is in the process of procuring more. Some sites are not great, which leads to lower COMLEX II scores, but I know they are getting better every year. I really think the scores will improve by the time we get there. One of the best things is how receptive the school is to suggestions, and is at least willing to listen.
Thanks for the detailed reply!! I really appreciated it. I have an acceptance from A.T Still Uni and Touro-Middetown thus far and am waiting to hear from RVU-Colorado and NYIT. I loved all my interview experiences except at NYIT (had a bad interview experience... probably because I was super anxious about really wanting to go there). I am very confused on which school to go to... Are you a first year?

I live less than an hour from Middletown. Sub-32 degree weather means frost on your windshield but unless it rains/snows the night before, the roads will be fine. This area is used to snowy weather/icy roads so if anything happens overnight it will be taken care of quickly. I would rent the cheapest car to save money!
Thank you so much for that! Was hoping to hear from someone who lives there :) and thank you to everyone else as well :)

Is Touro-Harlem more difficult to get into than Touro-Middletown?

Did anyone else who interviewed on 10/2 not hear back yet?