2017-2018 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I remember hearing that they do realocate the scholarship to a deserving applicant should it is made available since they do have a certain percentage of student to match with geffen! This year, unlike other years, they actually did send geffen scholar notification after acceptance (from Drew thread)...so I'm not quite sure
I got the same info as someone mentioned above. This is coming from Dr. Hall on interview day, in direct response to a question about reallocation. He clearly, emphatically stated that if a Geffen scholarship is declined by a student, those funds do *not* get reallocated to another student.

Members don't see this ad.

They will not be offering the Geffen scholarship after April 14th. The scholarship is tax deductible for UCLA so they need to offer those scholarships before tax day. If you're getting accepted in May which is very likely in this case, you will not be offered the Geffen scholarship.

That's not how taxes work. If Geffen scholarships are tax deductible, then UCLA would deduct them when they file for taxes by April of 2019 for the 2018 Fiscal year. The Geffen scholarships awarded last year will be deducted from this year's filing for the 2017 fiscal year.

TDLR: It is unclear if Geffens are still awarded after May 1st and if they are not, it won't be due to tax reasons.

Reactions: 5 users
That's not how taxes work. If Geffen scholarships are tax deductible, then UCLA would deduct them when they file for taxes by April of 2019 for the 2018 Fiscal year. The Geffen scholarships awarded last year will be deducted from this year's filing for the 2017 fiscal year.

TDLR: It is unclear if Geffens are still awarded after May 1st and if they are not, it won't be due to tax reasons.

You might be correct; I'm not sure if the tax deductible thing actually affects how they are awarded.

However, the person giving the research and scholarship presentation explicitly stated that the Geffen would not be awarded after mid-April or so (whenever this batch of decisions comes out), and definitely not after May 1st. They did explain they reasoning but I can't quite remember what it was unfortunately - I vaguely remember it might have been something about taxes (but maybe not the tax deductible thing) or some sort of deadline where they had to report it to the Geffen fund so they could allocate the money in time.

I remember hearing that they do realocate the scholarship to a deserving applicant should it is made available since they do have a certain percentage of student to match with geffen! This year, unlike other years, they actually did send geffen scholar notification after acceptance (from Drew thread)...so I'm not quite sure

They also mentioned that they would not re-award Geffens. Basically, they said that they factor yield in when awarding them, and award more scholarships than they actually have. They apparently have wiggle room in the exact number of scholarships for each year (its acceptable to them if the number of scholars varies by a small number year-to-year), which is why they're fine with letting yield decide things and why they don't worry about reallocating to get the exact correct number.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has UCLA sent pre-II rejections to everyone already? Kinda sucks when your dream school and alma mater doesn't even bother with a rejection letter :'(

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I agree, dean Hall was fairly straightforward with what to expect as were the other presenters. We just need to learn to be patient. This cycle has been a tire fire for me; however, I’m trying to keep positive and preparing for reapplication. We need to keep a cool head and, if you feel that you don’t fit well at this school, then you are free to withdraw at any time in the cycle on the portal.

I had to apply twice too. I know your pain. Don't give up though!

Reactions: 3 users
I had to apply twice too. I know your pain. Don't give up though!
thanks dude! I appreciate it but I won't be able to afford to do this again for quite some time this was pretty much my only shot. I have a family to provide for and they have to take priority I'd have the GI Bill to cover living expenses and provide for my family if i had gotten in, but there's still a little hope left so we'll see. the WL's I'm on do have quite a bit of movement. Until then, I'll be lurking on here giving those who got in my best.

thanks dude! I appreciate it but I won't be able to afford to do this again for quite some time this was pretty much my only shot. I have a family to provide for and they have to take priority I'd have the GI Bill to cover living expenses and provide for my family if i had gotten in, but there's still a little hope left so we'll see. the WL's I'm on do have quite a bit of movement. Until then, I'll be lurking on here giving those who got in my best.

Thanks for your service. I hope one of your waitlists will work out!

Reactions: 1 users
Has UCLA sent pre-II rejections to everyone already? Kinda sucks when your dream school and alma mater doesn't even bother with a rejection letter :'(

Just got mine today! Whoooo hooo! Lol.

I knew it was coming, as I applied before taking the MCAT and then regretted it once I received my score, but I kinda hoped for just silence.

Members don't see this ad :)
If we don't get a decision today then they're going to be waiting until May 1st

Is that what they said? I thought it could be any time before 4/30 and after would be "WL"...?

They have no incentive to tell you this close to 4/30. Usually decisions come out on Thursdays. If not today, they might as well wait to see who becomes available or who declines On April 30

They have no incentive to tell you this close to 4/30. Usually decisions come out on Thursdays. If not today, they might as well wait to see who becomes available or who declines On April 30
Thank you, all-knowing, all-powerful, omnipotent McatGod

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone prove to me that late interviews were not for waitlists?? This is a bit ridiculous. No wave today means basically waitlist...if not worse

Can anyone prove to me that late interviews were not for waitlists?? This is a bit ridiculous. No wave today means basically waitlist...if not worse
They did say they plan to over fill the class and maybe they are still offering acceptances. We only know what is reported on this site

The only thing we know is that the majority of us were likely told that we werent interviewing for the waitlist. Now, at this point, they may as well wait for May 1st since why sweat when you just need to fill in the spots as they open up

^See anything can happen! lol

Be still, my beating heart--Accepted!!!!!

I've come full circle; First interview and acceptance was in LA and my last interview and acceptance also in LA.
It's been real y'all, still shaking. #10,000charactercrew

hi-res-7472ebb926881e49ccdb07196e59060a_crop_north.jpg

Reactions: 20 users
Accepted as well! I interviewed 3/2...this isn't a mistake, right? :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Reactions: 6 users
When did everyone get these emails if you guys don’t mind sharing?

Congrats to everyone accepted today! You've got us all frantically checking our emails, and I'm still waiting for mine... hahaha

Are those of y'all accepted IS or OOS?

I've come full circle; First interview and acceptance was in LA and my last interview and acceptance also in LA.

View attachment 232101

View attachment 232101
Although I do not know you, I am so happy for you!
This cycle is so emotional :)

Looks like one person did but they were right at the start of march. I'm curious if there are any mid-late march interviewees who've heard back??

Although I do not know you, I am so happy for you!
This cycle is so emotional :)

Thank you :) I feel the same way about practically everyone in the school specific threads. Like I didn't even know I was capable of being excited for people I've never met but I found myself guilty of this many times this past year.

Did you guys all get accepted At the same time??

I believe so.

Whoa got accepted today, no scholarship. Might have to consider deferral though. Does anyone know if DGSOM allows for deferrals?

Also I interviewed mid-Jan

Last edited:
Whoa got accepted today, no scholarship. Might have to consider deferral though. Does anyone know if DGSOM allows for deferrals?

Also I interviewed mid-Jan

All it says on their website is...
"Applicant's response to acceptance offer:
Maximum time: two weeks
Financial aid forms will be forwarded one week after acceptance
Deferrals are highly discouraged"

They usually want a really good reason. I would say just call/email them. Personally, I support your deferral because I'm dying for a spot here haha! Congrats to you and everyone accepted today!

Did you guys send LOI???
I did! just a week after my interview! I really wanted to go here and i didn't care too much about scholarships so for whatever its worth, i went for it and got it soo idk. did that LOI play a significant role in my admission? I actually don't think so but i'm sure that at least it caught their eyes!

so acceptances released out on a Monday? Plot twist.. Anyway congrats to those that got in! and even more so to those blessed with a geffy!

Reactions: 2 users
Just in case any Adcoms are viewing this thread (especially Dean Hall) I’ll get a tattoo of David Geffen’s name on my body if I should be granted an acceptance here and i decide to attend! Is that a better letter of interest than I already sent or what? Also will post pics or it didn’t happen lol

Just in case any Adcoms are viewing this thread (especially Dean Hall) I’ll get a tattoo of David Geffen’s name on my body if I should be granted an acceptance here and i decide to attend! Is that a better letter of interest than I already sent or what? Also will post pics or it didn’t happen lol
I know a couple of friends who sent multiple letter of Intent for what it's worth! it won't hurt if you send another LOI/Update