2017-2018 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If they have already accepted more than double or triple the class size, then they don't expect most of them to matriculate? What if most do decide to stay, then they will have to increase their class size, right? They can't cancel their offers. Still don't understand how it works!

They probably know historically how many people accepts offers so they can guestimate pretty well on giving out more offers than class size but still not overfilling the class once people commit. However, in the rare case that more people do accept, they'd be in a bit of a difficult situation. I believe this happened to Michigan one or two cycles back. They ended up offering some scholarships to people if they would defer their acceptance to the next year so that the class wouldn't be overfilled

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If they have already accepted more than double or triple the class size, then they don't expect most of them to matriculate? What if most do decide to stay, then they will have to increase their class size, right? They can't cancel their offers. Still don't understand how it works!
It very rarely happens, but when it does they offer scholarships if students will defer a year

They probably know historically how many people accepts offers so they can guestimate pretty well on giving out more offers than class size but still not overfilling the class once people commit. However, in the rare case that more people do accept, they'd be in a bit of a difficult situation. I believe this happened to Michigan one or two cycles back. They ended up offering some scholarships to people if they would defer their acceptance to the next year so that the class wouldn't be overfilled
You think WashU has made 200+ or 300+ offers already? If so, the WL movement is nearly impossible then.

Members don't see this ad :)
You think WashU has made 200+ or 300+ offers already?
Yes. However, WashU didn't disclose its waitlist movement in the latest MSAR, but schools with similar yields - NW/NYU/Yale/Vandy - report accepting 10/15/34/100 off the waitlist, so there is wide variation even among similar schools - but it's not impossible!

Yes. However, WashU didn't disclose its waitlist movement in the latest MSAR, but schools with similar yields - NW/NYU/Yale/Vandy - report accepting 10/15/34/100 off the waitlist, so there is wide variation even among similar schools - but it's not impossible!
anyone know how to view the 2016 or 2015 MSAR? lol

Lol, well I hope WashU is more like Vandy and less like NW with regard to its waitlist movement then

In 2016, WashU interviewed 967 applicants and accepted 375 for a class of 123.

Assuming that...
a) everyone is either waitlisted or accepted after interviewing (I don’t know whether this is the case, but I haven’t seen any reports of post-II rejection on SDN.)
b) they do not overfill their class (I don’t know whether or not this is true.)
c) everyone waitlisted remains on the waitlist (This is definitely not true, so the estimate will be conservative.)
d) the data from 2016 is applicable to the current cycle

…your chances of being accepted off the waitlist=
The number of applicants accepted off the waitlist/The number of applicants on the waitlist=
(375-123)/(977-123)≈30%

FWIW, I believe your assumption b) is false. There were quite a bit more than 123 who even attended second look. This means a good number of accepted students will have to withdraw before they even start using the waitlist.

So the 375-123=252 applicants accepted off waitlist is probably far too high (may be more like 375-215=160), and the 977-123 is too low (more like 977-215=762), leaving your chances at more like 160/762 = ~20%

Is this an SAT problem or what?

Reactions: 1 users
General question about the WL. I'm on the WL here and one other, lower ranked school - no acceptances... Hypothetically, if I were accepted to my other school off the WL, can I stay on the WL for Wash U? Wash U is my #1, but without a place to go right now I'm not in a position to turn down any other WL movement but I'd accept Wash U acceptance in a heart beat.

General question about the WL. I'm on the WL here and one other, lower ranked school - no acceptances... Hypothetically, if I were accepted to my other school off the WL, can I stay on the WL for Wash U? Wash U is my #1, but without a place to go right now I'm not in a position to turn down any other WL movement but I'd accept Wash U acceptance in a heart beat.

Yes you definitely can!

Hey I appreciate your insight! One thing to note. While I can not speak directly for some other schools, I interviewed at NYU and the dean told us they initially only accept ~200 applicants. Given that there were 360 acceptances last year, this means ~160 acceptances came from the wait list!

Last edited:
Hey I appreciate your insight! One thing to note. While I can not speak directly for some other schools, I interviewed at NYU and the dean told us they initially only accept ~200 applicants. Given that there were 360 acceptances last year, this means ~160 acceptances came from the wait list!

I predict NYU will be taking significantly fewer people off the WL this year b/c of their huge jump in rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
Decided to withdraw my acceptance and full scholarship. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist—I hope my spot (and merit aid) goes to one of you!

Reactions: 12 users
Decided to withdraw my acceptance and full scholarship. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist—I hope my spot (and merit aid) goes to one of you!
This post reminded me to note that seems like aid is opening up as people begin to withdraw.

Also..where are you going over WashU?

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance as well this week. Interviewed Jan 11, accepted Jan 29. Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 7 users
Is it highly unlikely to get any merit scholarship after April 30th for anyone who commits at that time?

Nope, seems like a bunch of people last year got off the waitlist with merit offers

Well I understand getting off the waitlist and getting scholarship as a recruitment tool, but I'm wondering about those who have already been accepted...
Not sure tbh. On one hand, if a person has held their acceptance after the 30th the school has a pretty good feel that the student is committed to the school barring the student getting of a WL at a more preferable school, so the school doesn't have much incentive to use them as a recruitment tool if the student has already accepted. On the other hand, merit scholarships should go to those with more accomplishments etc. based on their criteria. It stands to reason that some of the accepted students should be more qualified for a merit scholarship compared to some on the WL so they should be offered them. However, schools don't necessarily act in those ways ...

Not sure tbh. On one hand, if a person has held their acceptance after the 30th the school has a pretty good feel that the student is committed to the school barring the student getting of a WL at a more preferable school, so the school doesn't have much incentive to use them as a recruitment tool if the student has already accepted. On the other hand, merit scholarships should go to those with more accomplishments etc. based on their criteria. It stands to reason that some of the accepted students should be more qualified for a merit scholarship compared to some on the WL so they should be offered them. However, schools don't necessarily act in those ways ...
That makes sense, thanks! Haha I guess I can still hope...I want to commit so badly it's just so expensive

Officially withdrew today, with some merit aid. Hope it goes to one of you lovely folks!

Reactions: 7 users
Withdrew from the WL today. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew my acceptance from here. Good luck to those still waiting

I hope this silence isn't an indication that it'll be a little WL movement year. Of course, this is probably just my neuroticism.

I also checked the WUSM facebook group and a solid 100 individuals have left the group from its peak at like 320 members.

Reactions: 3 users
I hope this silence isn't an indication that it'll be a little WL movement year. Of course, this is probably just my neuroticism.

I also checked the WUSM facebook group and a solid 100 individuals have left the group from its peak at like 320 members.
I dont know...They stopped accepting people earlier than they normally do when compared to the last few years. Makes me concerned that they over-accepted.

This is making me nervous. Where's the love, Wash U?

Hey! So I too am waiting on several top 20 wait lists and haven't even been accepted anywhere yet. However, I wanted to make this post.

When it comes to large sample sizes like we have in med school applications, it would be quite rare to see extremely large fluctuations in the number of people accepted year to year. So, last year for Wash U, 1090 people were interviewed, 381 were accepted, and 124 enrolled (stats from usnews and comparable to years prior if my memory serves me well). This means that 3.07x the class size was accepted overall. We have usually heard that Wash U is fairly conservative on their initial acceptances, so it would be very hard to see them accepting over 200 people initially (it would not make sense to accept way over the top, initially). This means that ~180 people will come off the wait list at some point.

Your next question is probably, "Well, what if this year is different?" To answer that question we have to ask ourselves, "What has changed this year?" If we look at trends from over the last decade we find that Wash U is at the lowest they have been in a decade (not by much), so if anything more people would decline the acceptance and open up more spots on the wait list (unlike NYU which has jumped from the mid 30s to 3 in the past decade). Yes, more people are applying to medical school and the class sizes are not getting any bigger so there will be slightly more selectivity each year (though it would be EXTREMELY unlikely that this would reduce 381 acceptances to some number like 300). In terms of financial aid, I don't have a huge grasp on this year versus past years, though it probably is nothing that would make a huge difference.

So, what should you takeaway from all of this? There is a very low probability that wait list movement will be any different this year than it has been for years in the past. I myself have found it very hard to keep waiting (esp. because I'm on a few top tier wait lists and haven't gotten into any school yet), but it's the only option as of now!

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for your post! I think another factor that may be delaying WL decisions is the fact that the AAMC held a meeting from April 28-May 1 about potential changes in the application process for the coming years. Apparently it was well attended, so it may have slowed things down!

I too am on several Waitlists with no acceptances yet! Hoping for the best! Good luck to you all!

Just to add on to what others have been saying, an admitted friend of mine spoke with the admissions office recently who told them that there had been plenty of withdrawals, and that there should be plenty of movement off the waitlist this year. They also mentioned that movement is typically heaviest between May 10 and May 15. I hate to be the person who posts things like this on SDN and possibly sets up false expectations, but there is definitely reason to keep hope alive here.

Reactions: 11 users
Thanks all you guys for the encouraging posts. I needed them today.

Last edited:
How do you get on the accepted students Facebook page? Do they email you a link?

Just got in off the waitlist!!! So excited!

Reactions: 9 users
Gave up my spot today after getting an offer from my top choice. Really hoping it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 5 users
upload_2018-5-14_18-4-50.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users