2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got that email back in early August and just got an II. There's hope!
Ah that is great to hear! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if being “deferred” is just a pre rejection or if I’ll actually have a shot at an interview. Does anyone know if rejection letters have been sent out or is everyone either getting an interview or deferred?
Several folks have stated they went from deferred-->interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed to see if they had any updates/ when to expect one since I have been complete since early August. They said they have not even reviewed my application yet. Seems like they are just inundated with apps right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier today! anyone know what the earliest date is for an interview?
The earliest date for an interview was 09/07. This was the date that I interviewed and they told us that we were the first group of interviewees for the year.

What's the latest that someone has been complete and received and interview invite?

Has anybody received a secondary without a DO letter? I just sent WVSOM my MCAT score (received 9/26), which is why I haven't heard anything from them yet. My DO letter writer has accepted to write it on the AACOMAS portal, but just has yet to send it in. I'm wondering if I should bug him about it or just wait for him to send it? I've already reminded him about it twice since June. Thanks!

Has anybody received a secondary without a DO letter? I just sent WVSOM my MCAT score (received 9/26), which is why I haven't heard anything from them yet. My DO letter writer has accepted to write it on the AACOMAS portal, but just has yet to send it in. I'm wondering if I should bug him about it or just wait for him to send it? I've already reminded him about it twice since June. Thanks!
I was told they won't interview you until your DO letter is received.

So in my portal a week ago I noticed that it showed my letter of recommendation had been uploaded. I emailed them yesterday to see what my application status was. I received a reply back today telling me that there was a change in my application and that I have been invited for a personal interview. I was told that I will receive details later.
Have you gotten an email back yet for interview dates?

Hey, first year at WVSOM here, would totally answer any questions I can about the school/town/whatever :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, first year at WVSOM here, would totally answer any questions I can about the school/town/whatever :)

Hey there! What laptop did they issue you guys this year, and how is your class liking them so far??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! What laptop did they issue you guys this year, and how is your class liking them so far??

They gave us these Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga computers! Like this - Lenovo 12.5" ThinkPad Yoga 260 Multi-Touch 20FD002DUS B&H

The reception as far as I know has been generally positive! With this many people someone's bound to have a little issue, but I haven't really had one. Sometimes switching between tablet mode and computer mode my one note app freezes for like 10 seconds but then snaps back to it and it's fine. I like this better than my old computer personally! I had an HP before.

What do you think are the best housing options??
If/when you guys are accepted and pay a deposit, the school has a housing portal where local landlords post what they'll have available, pics, contact info, all that stuff! That's where I found my place. I live in a little duplex/house thing, but I know people that rent free standing houses, have apartments in complexes or downtown, it's a pretty good variety! Coming from a city, it was definitely cheaper... and like anything it's cheaper if you find a roommate. I did on our class FB group. People tend to post housing listings on those FB groups too, in the new class and upperclassmen groups.

I'm sure I can answer these questions myself when I come for my interview, but what do you think of the town?

I'm sure I can answer these questions myself when I come for my interview, but what do you think of the town?
Cute little town :) I may be biased cause I like small towns in general, but it has everything you need. Basic grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Lowes, places to eat out that are cheap and pricey. Honestly there's a few cool bars with some good food, a brewery, some awesome brunch places... nearby places to hike/bike/do outdoorsy stuff. A movie theater! There are farmers markets 2 days a week! A lot of the downtown stuff is within walking distance from the school too which is nice.

Last edited:
Cute little town :) I may be biased cause I like small town in general, but it has everything you need. Basic grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Lowes, places to eat out that are cheap and pricey. Honestly there's a few cool bars with some good food, a brewery, some awesome brunch places... nearby places to hike/bike/do outdoorsy stuff. A movie theater! There are farmers markets 2 days a week! A lot of the downtown stuff is within walking distance from the school too which is nice.

That actually sounds awesome. I like small towns (can't stand big cities) that still have stuff to do. I really like my current college town because it has a nice mixture of mom & pop business and chain stores, is located on one of the Great Lakes and has tons of wilderness to explore. But your discription of Lewisburg sounds very nice, I'm excited to visit during thanksgiving!

Interviewed here on Friday, 9/29. I was very impressed. Granted, it was only my second interview, but I would absolutely go here. The campus was gorgeous and spread out, but not too big where you felt like you needed to walk for miles just to go from lecture hall to the library. The anatomy lab was well lit and well ventilated, the gym was pretty great too.

I have no clue why this school isn't more popular, did I miss something? The students I spoke with over lunch described their board prep in detail and it was comprehensive, with results to back up their claims.

Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed here on Friday, 9/29. I was very impressed. Granted, it was only my second interview, but I would absolutely go here. The campus was gorgeous and spread out, but not too big where you felt like you needed to walk for miles just to go from lecture hall to the library. The anatomy lab was well lit and well ventilated, the gym was pretty great too.

I have no clue why this school isn't more popular, did I miss something? The students I spoke with over lunch described their board prep in detail and it was comprehensive, with results to back up their claims.

I completely agree. I bumped into one of my interviewers after the tour was over and told him how much wvsom "blows other med schools out of the water" lmao (we all know of those schools that consist of 1 or 2 buildings and a parking lot). The school was honestly incredible in regards to so much more than the campus and I feel so confident that those of us who choose to attend wvsom will get our butts kicked in the process but walk out fantastic doctors

Reactions: 6 users
I completely agree. I bumped into one of my interviewers after the tour was over and told him how much wvsom "blows other med schools out of the water" lmao (we all know of those schools that consist of 1 or 2 buildings and a parking lot). The school was honestly incredible in regards to so much more than the campus and I feel so confident that those of us who choose to attend wvsom will get our butts kicked in the process but walk out fantastic doctors
This makes me so excited for my interview!! Definitely in my top three choices...I can hardly wait to see it. I hope all goes well and you get that acceptance!

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted my secondary about a month ago and still haven't heard anything. Anyone waiting for this long? I don't know if I should just call them and see what's happening.

I submitted my secondary about a month ago and still haven't heard anything. Anyone waiting for this long? I don't know if I should just call them and see what's happening.
I'm in the same boat.

Reactions: 1 users

That makes me feel like I'll be waiting a loooong time. Obviously feels longer when you check your email every 30 minutes lol. I was complete September 29-ish due to taking my MCAT so late. So I'm sitting here hoping for a secondary app to come in haha. I hope you hear soon!

That makes me feel like I'll be waiting a loooong time. Obviously feels longer when you check your email every 30 minutes lol. I was complete September 29-ish due to taking my MCAT so late. So I'm sitting here hoping for a secondary app to come in haha. I hope you hear soon!
It's all so exciting when the secondary emails keep pouring in, you fill them out and submit them. 5 mins pass by and you wonder why you haven't gotten an II yet. Then you realize that you have to wait weeks o_O

Just got the acceptance call!!!!! First one! Potentially my last, I loved the school that much!

Reactions: 8 users
I was told they won't interview you until your DO letter is received.
When I called about this in July they said they wouldn't even look at my application till my DO letter was in

It's all so exciting when the secondary emails keep pouring in, you fill them out and submit them. 5 mins pass by and you wonder why you haven't gotten an II yet. Then you realize that you have to wait weeks o_O
weeks? I've been under review at some schools for months now. settle in, friend. :)

Just got accepted to WVSOM class of 2022!! Such a great school, but the area isn't a great fit for me! Hopefully someone else will enjoy my spot in the class as I plan to withdraw my acceptance. I will be attending RVU-SU instead!

Got the acceptance call today at 1:30. Interviewed last Thursday.
Just got accepted to WVSOM class of 2022!! Such a great school, but the area isn't a great fit for me! Hopefully someone else will enjoy my spot in the class as I plan to withdraw my acceptance. I will be attending RVU-SU instead!

Reactions: 4 users
II couple days ago! next interview dates look like to be in the beginning of January

I have been complete since August 10 and have no heard anything back. On the portal it still says application under review. Does WVSOM do silent rejections or do I just need to be more patient?

II couple days ago! next interview dates look like to be in the beginning of January
Really? I received an II last year in October and it was scheduled for 1st week of December. Surprised they are already into January. Wonder if they are getting close to filled class?

Is there a current student who can answer this for me? Does WVSOM do rankings?

I'm in the same position as you and wondering the same thing. Does someone know the answer to this question?
I have been complete since August 10 and have no heard anything back. On the portal it still says application under review. Does WVSOM do silent rejections or do I just need to be more patient?

Interviewed here today and loved it! The staff was all so friendly and the interviewers made it feel very comfortable. The campus is beautiful as well and the students mostly seemed genuinely happy! Was bummed that we couldn't check out the anatomy lab but all well! Hope to hear back soon!

Got my acceptance call on the 3rd! I interviewed the previous Thursday! Super excited about this school! I'm really curious about housing options for married students!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if rejection letters have been sent out or only decision deferred?

II today! Complete sometime early August.

Reactions: 8 users
Same. If the earliest interview is in January, does this mean that it is for a waitlist spot or still a shot at acceptance?

Acceptance.

Source: my heart of hearts

Hey guys! Congrats on your II's. I am interviewing 11/17 and previously saw a post with tips for interview preparation, but after looking I cannot find it. Do you current students or those who have been through the interview process have any tips for preparing for WVSOM's interview? It is my first interview thus far!