2017-2018 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who interviewed here, how was it? Area, school, scores?
I am debating canceling my II that is coming up soon, and want to know if people liked the school/if it is worth attending

Members don't see this ad.

Just received an II today! I was complete on 8/15. Looks like early January dates are open for now. Looking forward to seeing this school.

Reactions: 1 users
I am debating canceling my II that is coming up soon, and want to know if people liked the school/if it is worth attending

Be wary when reviewing "score" averages from schools. Doing well on the STEP and COMLEX exams is 100% on the person, not the school. I'm positive every school in the nation will give you the tools to succeed, but it depends what you do with those tools. I had some classmates that did poorly on COMLEX/USMLE because they just couldn't sit down and put in the hours required. Put in the effort and hours and you will do well no matter where you go.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The school has a beautiful campus and will provide you with a superb education. I'm a 4th year and I have zero regrets about choosing WVSOM. I am on my audition rotations right now and I am on par with all the MD and DO students I have auditioned with from other schools across the nation.

Lewisburg is a quaint small town with all the amenities you need to survive and plenty of other things to do for fun. If you're from a large city, it may be a bit of an adjustment, but for me personally coming from a small town, Lewisburg was the bees knees. There isn't a club or bar on every street corner, but there are a few very nice bars, restaurants downtown. You also have the Greenbrier Resort if you want to get really fancy. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, the things to do in the area are endless. Free camping, free state parks, you have the New River Gorge nearby, an 88 mile trail (Greenbrier River Trail) that goes from Lewisburg up to Cass, WV. Being an avid cyclist, I can tell you Greenbrier County has some of THE BEST cycling I have ever experienced.

Now, you will be studying like crazy, so keep in mind although a huge city would probably provide more fun options, you won't really have all that much time to do them. WVSOM has plenty of school activities as well to keep you busy.

Reactions: 9 users
The school has a beautiful campus and will provide you with a superb education. I'm a 4th year and I have zero regrets about choosing WVSOM. I am on my audition rotations right now and I am on par with all the MD and DO students I have auditioned with from other schools across the nation.

Lewisburg is a quaint small town with all the amenities you need to survive and plenty of other things to do for fun. If you're from a large city, it may be a bit of an adjustment, but for me personally coming from a small town, Lewisburg was the bees knees. There isn't a club or bar on every street corner, but there are a few very nice bars, restaurants downtown. You also have the Greenbrier Resort if you want to get really fancy. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, the things to do in the area are endless. Free camping, free state parks, you have the New River Gorge nearby, an 88 mile trail (Greenbrier River Trail) that goes from Lewisburg up to Cass, WV. Being an avid cyclist, I can tell you Greenbrier County has some of THE BEST cycling I have ever experienced.

Now, you will be studying like crazy, so keep in mind although a huge city would probably provide more fun options, you won't really have all that much time to do them. WVSOM has plenty of school activities as well to keep you busy.
Bro, you had me at cycling. I hope I get an II now!!

To anyone that's a current student - what was your housing experience like during 1st and/or 2nd year? I know this is super vague but I'm SO torn on whether or not I should look into finding a roommate. I've spoken to people who have had roommates and those who haven't and both seem equally happy with their choices - I guess it just depends on the type of person you are. Of course having a roommate or 2 would help worth finances but at the same time, that feeling of coming home to an empty place that's all yours to do whatever in seems pretty nice (plus you get to avoid the all so common passive aggressiveness towards all the dishes in the sink, or the messy bathroom, etc hahaha). Then the other half of me is wondering if it'd be lonely, especially being in a new foreign place. Anyone else have this dilemma??

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they only make calls on Tuesdays??? I have been a nervous wreck waiting since 10/5!

Does anyone know if they only make calls on Tuesdays??? I have been a nervous wreck waiting since 10/5!

How did the actual interview go? I don't know what to expect or really how to prepare for mine next month

I, and people from my interview group, got our acceptance phone calls on a Wednesday!

Just cancelled my II, hope one of you guys gets It! Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I waved to a group of interviewees out front of the anatomy lab while riding my skateboard last week and none of you guys waved back, haha. Better not have been any of you guys... lol jk.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I just have a question about updates if anyone could offer some advice. I am not sure if/when it is appropriate to send updates or a letter of intent. I was put on decision deferred (pre interview) a few weeks ago. I did the grade update through ACOMAS which automatically sent to them (and very slightly raised my GPA) and I have had a decent MCAT (512) since the beginning so I never retook it. Should I just wait this one out or would sending a letter of intent be good to show my interest? Also, is sending a LOI typically a good thing for all schools or just some? I'm kinda clueless on this aspect of apps. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi, I just have a question about updates if anyone could offer some advice. I am not sure if/when it is appropriate to send updates or a letter of intent. I was put on decision deferred (pre interview) a few weeks ago. I did the grade update through ACOMAS which automatically sent to them (and very slightly raised my GPA) and I have had a decent MCAT (512) since the beginning so I never retook it. Should I just wait this one out or would sending a letter of intent be good to show my interest? Also, is sending a LOI typically a good thing for all schools or just some? I'm kinda clueless on this aspect of apps. Thanks in advance for any advice.

LOI are good for all schools, just only send them to schools you are 100% willing to accept if they offer you a seat. Send your LOI whenever you wish, personally I'd send it earlier than later and continually stay in contact with the school letting them know what you have been doing, working on, classes, medical job, research, volunteering, interest in the school and medicine, etc. Don't retake your MCAT, you did great. Hit me up if you need more info.

LITERALLY SLOWLY DIEING TO HEAR BACK. INTERVIEWED 10/9

LITERALLY SLOWLY DIEING TO HEAR BACK. INTERVIEWED 10/9

Lol join the club, interviewed 10/5... it’s been an anxiety filled week to say the least...

LOI are good for all schools, just only send them to schools you are 100% willing to accept if they offer you a seat. Send your LOI whenever you wish, personally I'd send it earlier than later and continually stay in contact with the school letting them know what you have been doing, working on, classes, medical job, research, volunteering, interest in the school and medicine, etc. Don't retake your MCAT, you did great. Hit me up if you need more info.
great! thank you so much for the advice :)

Funny- your stats are identical to mine. 499 MCAT 3.6 sGPA 3.5 cGPA... and I was offered an II on 08/22 and am now scheduled for early October.

From what I understand of WVSOM they look at a lot more than just stats. They're really trying to find what students would be the best fit for the school. So of course you have a good chance based on stats alone but I think an even more deciding factor will be your EC's and LOR's. I only say that because I imagine lots of apps come in with stats around ours, give or take.

That's awesome, I hope your interview went well :) I was invited to interview in December!

those who went from decision deferred to getting an interview- how long was it?

Any suggest on how to prepare for the interview or details on how it is structured?

I think I might withdraw my interview from here. It is very expensive to get to WV

Any suggest on how to prepare for the interview or details on how it is structured?

Review your app/activities/secondary essays because it is open file so they will want to know about your story. They asked me how did I know the school/why WVSOM/do you think you will be able to adapt to this area (I am from Cleveland so they wanted to know why I decided to come here)/your study habits and see if you have the ability and dedication to be successful in school and future/one ethical question/strengths and weaknesses. The truth is... you know your story the best so go out there and tell them why you are passionate about this field and show them that you have what it takes to be a good/compassionate doc!

You will be interviewing with three faculty staff at the same time for 20min. It was very casual and they also shared their stories too. Ask them questions haha.

let me know if you have any other questions! I got accepted two days after the interview.

Review your app/activities/secondary essays because it is open file so they will want to know about your story. They asked me how did I know the school/why WVSOM/do you think you will be able to adapt to this area (I am from Cleveland so they wanted to know why I decided to come here)/your study habits and see if you have the ability and dedication to be successful in school and future/one ethical question/strengths and weaknesses. The truth is... you know your story the best so go out there and tell them why you are passionate about this field and show them that you have what it takes to be a good/compassionate doc!

You will be interviewing with three faculty staff at the same time for 20min. It was very casual and they also shared their stories too. Ask them questions haha.

let me know if you have any other questions! I got accepted two days after the interview.

Wow this was great, thank you!! And 2 days is so nice, much better than the stress of 3-4 weeks...

Wow this was great, thank you!! And 2 days is so nice, much better than the stress of 3-4 weeks...

The times vary in terms of hearing back. It's been a week and a half so far for my interview group and we haven't heard back yet. Some groups it seems heard back very quickly...I think it just depends...so just a heads up there. And I agree with what was said about the interviews. They're pretty laid back and more conversational style. I was pretty nervous before hand but once I got in there after a minute or so I felt fine and all my interviewers seemed really nice. The admissions staff is great there. Good luck!!!

Just withdrew from my 10/20 interview. Hopefully one of you guys waiting for a spot will get mine.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the call!!! Accepted!!!! Holy moly was that a brutal wait...but so worth it!

Reactions: 7 users
I was emailed on 9/27 and told that my status has changed and I will be invited for an interview. I still have not received any contact from admissions yet, this wait is brutal!

I was emailed on 9/27 and told that my status has changed and I will be invited for an interview. I still have not received any contact from admissions yet, this wait is brutal!
Was this changed from deferred decision or just post secondary?

Hey, I was also deferred ( although more than a month ago now), what grade update are you talking about? and great MCAT score, do not retake it.

Hey all!
Have been following this thread for a couple of weeks now... just got the call.... ACCEPTED!!!!!!! :)

Really loved this school.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all!
Have been following this thread for a couple of weeks now... just got the call.... ACCEPTED!!!!!!! :)

Really loved this school.

got any interview tips or recommendations on what to check out around the area?

The interview was so unbelievably relaxed. I was a nervous wreck leading up to it, but what people say really is true - as soon as you get in the room those feelings really do go away. Just be yourself. They definitely had read my file, and it really seemed like they were just trying to get to know me better. No hard questions. Know why you want to be an osteopathic doctor, and have a sense of what you want your future to look like. This school prides itself on its focus on rural primary care.

When they say wear comfortable shoes for walking, they really mean it!!! There is a ton of walking, but the tour is absolutely worth it! I was so impressed by the campus.

The town is small, but it really seems to have everything you would need. Of course visit the downtown. I ate an amazing dinner at a restaurant called Food & Friends, and I saw To Kill a Mockingbird at the theater. You should also check out the Wild Bean coffee shop- seems like that's where lots of med students like to hang out. Was super surprised they don't have any chain coffee shops (starbucks, dunkin, etc. :sleep:), but there are some local places!

Reactions: 4 users
The interview was so unbelievably relaxed. I was a nervous wreck leading up to it, but what people say really is true - as soon as you get in the room those feelings really do go away. Just be yourself. They definitely had read my file, and it really seemed like they were just trying to get to know me better. No hard questions. Know why you want to be an osteopathic doctor, and have a sense of what you want your future to look like. This school prides itself on its focus on rural primary care.

When they say wear comfortable shoes for walking, they really mean it!!! There is a ton of walking, but the tour is absolutely worth it! I was so impressed by the campus.

The town is small, but it really seems to have everything you would need. Of course visit the downtown. I ate an amazing dinner at a restaurant called Food & Friends, and I saw To Kill a Mockingbird at the theater. You should also check out the Wild Bean coffee shop- seems like that's where lots of med students like to hang out. Was super surprised they don't have any chain coffee shops (starbucks, dunkin, etc. :sleep:), but there are some local places!

Yes bdavis23, you have to check out Food and Friends and the Wild Bean cafe if you get the chance! So delicious. :love: I also visited Lost World Caverns when I interviewed early last month!

For any future interviewees or anyone interested, this video is a great resource for all things Lewisburg! Re-watching it makes me excited to come back down to WV:

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the best phone call of my life around 4 PM!

Reactions: 7 users
To anyone that's a current student - what was your housing experience like during 1st and/or 2nd year? I know this is super vague but I'm SO torn on whether or not I should look into finding a roommate. I've spoken to people who have had roommates and those who haven't and both seem equally happy with their choices - I guess it just depends on the type of person you are. Of course having a roommate or 2 would help worth finances but at the same time, that feeling of coming home to an empty place that's all yours to do whatever in seems pretty nice (plus you get to avoid the all so common passive aggressiveness towards all the dishes in the sink, or the messy bathroom, etc hahaha). Then the other half of me is wondering if it'd be lonely, especially being in a new foreign place. Anyone else have this dilemma??

Ya you just need to sit down and think about your preference. I went into medical school married so my choice was easy by living with my wife. However, I had classmates that had roommates and had classmates that lived by themselves. Really depends what you want. Some people don't care as long as they are saving money and some people are sick of living with people since they did it all through college. No wrong choice here.

Also, I don't follow this thread on a daily basis, if anyone has a 'current student' question feel free to tag me in the post.

I completely agree with what everyone else said! I was much more nervous than needed to be for the interview, but who wouldn't be! The admissions committee and those who I interviewed with are so incredibly nice and really just want to get to know you. It was very relaxed and there were no "out of the blue" or weird questions. Pretty much just why you want to be a DO, how you got interested in medicine, and questions tailored to your application. I had 1 ethical question but it was a pretty simple one. The interview overall is very conversational and definitely make sure to ask questions at the end! I spent time at the Wild Bean *which has amazing coffee* and had a lot of medical students there studying. It was fun to get a feel of where the students like to go. I also walked around the town a lot and had dinner at the Asylum which is a sports bar/restaurant. I drove around checked out some of the student housing too. It's a very cute little town!

To any current students, does the gap for first year and second year typically start the last week of May, or the first week of June (pending any remediation)? I looked at the academic calendar on the website, but I just wanted to see when things typically calmed down towards the end of the year as I am attempting to plan a wedding, and I need to figure out which set of weekends would be possible date-wise. :panda:

To any current students, does the gap for first year and second year typically start the last week of May, or the first week of June (pending any remediation)? I looked at the academic calendar on the website, but I just wanted to see when things typically calmed down towards the end of the year as I am attempting to plan a wedding, and I need to figure out which set of weekends would be possible date-wise. :panda:

First year ended before the last weekend in May for us.

Ah that is great to hear! Do you mind sharing your stats?

:/ I'm so sorry for replying so late. I've been busy and haven't really checked my SDN lately. I think I PMed you my stats.

II today. Undecided if I'm going to accept it though.
If money isn't an issue then go ahead, from all the comments here, WV sounds like a great school. Would you mind sharing stats and complete date?