2017-2018 Western U of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any waiting list movement yet?
Called them Tue and they said that there has been little to no movement thus far :(

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if it was mentioned before but is there FB page? Can’t seem to find it can someone provide a link?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got this email: Welcome to COMP! You will receive 3 guest tickets for the Convocation Ceremony, and you will have the opportunity to request additional tickets. These will be available on a 1st come 1stserved basis and each student is limited to 2 extras, so look out for that email within the next week. You may bring as many guests as you’d like for the White Coat Ceremony.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently, there has been movement this week...

I was not one of them, so little disappointed sigh

Apparently, there has been movement this week...

I was not one of them, so little disappointed sigh
This bums me out too.....how do you know there was movement? gosh, I was really hoping that maybe they haven't yet gotten to us waitlisters yet but now I don't know....maybe it's time to accept the fact that it's not going to happen for me =(

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post my question. I have a friend who is applying to WesternU Riverside campus. She asked me what I think her chances of acceptance are and I have no clue. She has a MCAT of 515 and did a PhD in Neuroscience at a big name place in Chicago. She's older, in her 30s, lots of research experience, some volunteer experience. For personal reasons she would like to be at WesternU and I think that's her #1 choice.

Just wondering what you all thought since I wasn't sure what to tell her. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place to post my question. I have a friend who is applying to WesternU Riverside campus. She asked me what I think her chances of acceptance are and I have no clue. She has a MCAT of 515 and did a PhD in Neuroscience at a big name place in Chicago. She's older, in her 30s, lots of research experience, some volunteer experience. For personal reasons she would like to be at WesternU and I think that's her #1 choice.

Just wondering what you all thought since I wasn't sure what to tell her. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. Thanks in advance.

The stats are high. Depending how long the PhD took, the college GPA may mean little or a lot. From what you've presented, she can handle standardized testing, but there is no indication of how she can handle the course load. They do throw a lot at the students here due to the OMM and other "3rd year" classes like the "how to prepare your brand for residency applications" class and the suturing workshops, etc. The PhD probably means she can handle stress well too, especially if she has a family already.

The school is very into osteopathic medicine enthusiasm and signs of altruism. Those are the main things that she should focus on unless those personal reasons are pretty good and unique only to WesternU. "Some volunteer experience" could be fine since time is a finite resource and the research or life experience could be somewhat altruistic/service-based (single-mother or inner city teacher job). She stands a good shot without any red flags. Why is she not posting herself btw?

-Current 3rd year

The stats are high. Depending how long the PhD took, the college GPA may mean little or a lot. From what you've presented, she can handle standardized testing, but there is no indication of how she can handle the course load. They do throw a lot at the students here due to the OMM and other "3rd year" classes like the "how to prepare your brand for residency applications" class and the suturing workshops, etc. The PhD probably means she can handle stress well too, especially if she has a family already.

The school is very into osteopathic medicine enthusiasm and signs of altruism. Those are the main things that she should focus on unless those personal reasons are pretty good and unique only to WesternU. "Some volunteer experience" could be fine since time is a finite resource and the research or life experience could be somewhat altruistic/service-based (single-mother or inner city teacher job). She stands a good shot without any red flags. Why is she not posting herself btw?

-Current 3rd year

Thanks for your in-depth help here. Really appreciate it. She's not an SDN user, she's never really heard of it. My impression is that she is very much in line with the DO philosophy of medicine. She grew up in a rural undeserved area with poor medical resources and wants to give back to the community. I will pass on what you said, and even steer her towards SDN to explore.

Hey there... Can anyone give insight to what a weekly class schedule will be like for first year students?

Hi Everyone, I'm just wondering if there is a student who was accepted to Western this year who would mind giving me a hand with my secondary/taking a look at it before I submit it! It would be really appreciated :) Thanks

you can PM me

I know it's kind of late notice, but I was accepted off the WL on June 18! There is movement so hold out hope y'all!

This bums me out too.....how do you know there was movement? gosh, I was really hoping that maybe they haven't yet gotten to us waitlisters yet but now I don't know....maybe it's time to accept the fact that it's not going to happen for me =(
I was accepted off the WL on June 18th so there is movement. Keep hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Did any of you have community college credits at time of application? Were they for science courses or general EDs? Anyone know Western's perspective on cc courses?

Did any of you have community college credits at time of application? Were they for science courses or general EDs? Anyone know Western's perspective on cc courses?
I had almost all of my gen ed classes from CC.

All of my prereqs were from a community college, accepted no problem. Going on to second year now!