2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how receptive the admissions staff is to letters of intent?
This was my favorite school but I got wait listed.
I want to express that I would deffinetly go here if accepted but don’t want to just annoy them and ruin my chances.
They are very friendly and receptive to calls, so it won't hurt to just call them to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how receptive the admissions staff is to letters of intent?
This was my favorite school but I got wait listed.
I want to express that I would deffinetly go here if accepted but don’t want to just annoy them and ruin my chances.
Not to burst your bubble, but LoI's rarely work. be patient there will be wait list movement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an ii today for an interview on 2/5 (the other date available is 2/8, which I'm not able to go) and the flight is ~ $908. Anyone has any advice?
How much do you usually pay for the flight ticket to get there?

That’s about how much I payed to fly directly into fort smith but I heard it’s much cheaper flying into XNA

Just got an ii today for an interview on 2/5 (the other date available is 2/8, which I'm not able to go) and the flight is ~ $908. Anyone has any advice?
Flights into XNA (1 hour away) or Tulsa (2 hours away) are usually cheaper. So check at these airports, then you'll just have to rent a car to drive down to Fort Smith.

Edit: Or also Oklahoma City and Dallas, both 3 hours away.

Flights into XNA (1 hour away) or Tulsa (2 hours away) are usually cheaper. So check at these airports, then you'll just have to rent a car to drive down to Fort Smith.

Edit: Or also Oklahoma City and Dallas, both 3 hours away.
Thanks for the advice. I've never really rented a car before, so do you know how much does it cost to rent a car per day?

Thanks for the advice. I've never really rented a car before, so do you know how much does it cost to rent a car per day?
Depends on age, if you are under 25 you'll pay a bit more. Otherwise. 20 bucks a day in those spots.

It's usually not too bad. Last time I rented a car it was like $27 a day, and of course it's gonna vary from company to company and also the kind of car you're trying to rent. Just don't get all the extra stuff they will try to sell you to make it more expensive like insurance and all that crap. My own car insurance already covers any car I drive so... You will need to pay on a credit card to rent a car though, and some car rental companies won't rent you a car if you're less than 25 years old. I usually book my plane tickets on Travelocity, and after booking, they usually offer some pretty good deals on car rentals.

Last edited:
I paid between $300 and $400 when I went there. I flew into Fort Smith Regional Airport.

Reactions: 1 users
I paid between $300 and $400 when I went there. I flew into Fort Smith Regional Airport.
Yeah, it's probably more expensive now because his interview is basically next week. But XNA or other bigger airports close by are usually a lot cheaper though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
anyone have any inside scoop updates with waitlist?

Reactions: 5 users
Just gave up my acceptance. I got into my in-state school. Hopefully my seat goes to one of you! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Other people at my school along with myself are all waitlisted but no one has heard anything yet, starting to think this must be an awfully long waitlist.

Other people at my school along with myself are all waitlisted but no one has heard anything yet, starting to think this must be an awfully long waitlist.
Most movement wont happen for a couple months. Last year at my school people were accepted two days before orientation

Last year, the most waitlist movement happened between May and July.

Most people who applied to UAMS find out their status in a couple of weeks. That should clear up things for a lot of applicants but I'd expect most movement after 4/30

Sort of misleading headline, Searcy has had those residencies for a while, except for the TRI

True, but they did use the “singular” form... Do you have a program with multiple specialties, or do you have multiple programs? I’m not sure of the proper terminology.

Also I’m wondering if ARCOM is putting up some money for the exsisting programs? Maybe elevating some financial burden from Unity Health?

Either way I’m happy I’ll have a hospital in my network that can provide me with a EM SLOE.

With your knowledge of Arkansas, do you think the state can provide several more GME programs (non-FM/IM)? Speaking in terms of population.

Sort of misleading headline, Searcy has had those residencies for a while, except for the TRI
Well, I don't think it's misleading. It didn't say we created new residency programs, but that we're partnering on residency program. Meaning, we'll have first dibs on their programs while we're also trying to promote new programs and improving the already established ones. Starting July 1st, we're basically their only medical school affiliate.

True, but they did use the “singular” form... Do you have a program with multiple specialties, or do you have multiple programs? I’m not sure of the proper terminology.

Also I’m wondering if ARCOM is putting up some money for the exsisting programs? Maybe elevating some financial burden from Unity Health?

Either way I’m happy I’ll have a hospital in my network that can provide me with a EM SLOE.

With your knowledge of Arkansas, do you think the state can provide several more GME programs (non-FM/IM)? Speaking in terms of population.
I doubt it. Maybe in Fort smith/Fayetteville but even Little Rock only has 200k people.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I have been accepted to my IS school. Good luck to everyone in all your endeavors!

When is the white coat ceremony held?

Does anyone know when Heritage Village is set to open/will students be in it this next year? If so, where can we find the housing application? If not, where are they going to put M1s if there was a wait list at The Residents this past year?

Last couple years, it's been in the middle of September.

Thank you for answering. I have another question, how long is dedicated time and can you go back home and study and take the exam in another state?

Thank you for answering. I have another question, how long is dedicated time and can you go back home and study and take the exam in another state?
Dedicated time this year goes from April 10th to anytime before the last weak of June (because rotations start first week of July). And no, I don't think you can go back home to study and take the exam because I think there will be a few days during dedicated where the school will have some capstone training and lecture sessions to prepare students for rotations. I'm not sure if those are mandatory or not, but my best guess is they are. Otherwise you would be able to go back home (or you could go back and forth if you want).

How is the COMLEX 1 prep going on? When do you guys take it? How are the practice exams going?
Also what would be your first core rotation - family medicine? Does each of you know where you will be rotating at?

How is the COMLEX 1 prep going on? When do you guys take it? How are the practice exams going?
Also what would be your first core rotation - family medicine? Does each of you know where you will be rotating at?
I'm just an OMS-1, so I can't answer all of these. But I can only tell you that our COMAT-FBS practice exams have been slightly above national average according to the last report from NBOME. And yes, all the OMS-2 students already know which hospital they will be rotating at since beginning of February. They can schedule to take their COMLEX anytime during their dedicated study period from April 10 to the week before the last week of June.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Heritage Village is set to open/will students be in it this next year? If so, where can we find the housing application? If not, where are they going to put M1s if there was a wait list at The Residents this past year?
The housing application should be on the school website. I think ARCOM has already started collecting deposits for apartments.

Here is the link for the housing application: The Residents | ACHE

Anyone know if there’s been some waitlist movement? I got an email yesterday discussing movement in the spring.

Has anyone heard anything about housing?

Last I heard was the e-mail saying they were going to be calling about deposits, but then never heard anything more. Hoping we get some more info at the Welcome Home event.

Hey, just FYI if your looking for a new device for school, Best Buy has the IPad Pro and Surface pro 6 on sale right now. I have been watching the prices for a while now this is the best sale they have had so far. I believe it’s the same sale on amazon as well.

You can also call them and ask if you can pay your deposit if you are ready to. I think they have a list of people who have filled out the housing application that they are going by.

Since I'm looking for a single bedroom, I'm worried that I won't find an apartment. I called student housing about two weeks ago, and they told me that they were not sure how many units are available since they are waiting to see if current students will be renewing their leases. Can anyone tell me what the next best option for apartments in the area is?

Thank You

Any news from the waitlist?
Called the other day to ask. I was told there has been minimal movement and we should expect things to really move in May. Hope this helps. I want that acceptance real bad. I loved the school when I went to look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm looking for a single bedroom, I'm worried that I won't find an apartment. I called student housing about two weeks ago, and they told me that they were not sure how many units are available since they are waiting to see if current students will be renewing their leases. Can anyone tell me what the next best option for apartments in the area is?

Thank You

I would wait until around may or June to see if you will receive a call from student housing because by then they should know how many students will stay or not. These past couple weeks they've been having students that will be staying at the residents sign their renewed leases. I can tell you that a few OMS1s and most of the OMS2s will be moving out (because only ~60 will have their core rotation site in Fort Smith). So that should free out a lot of the apartments, plus I think they should have the units across the street done by the time you guys get here too. Other housing options would be at The Reserve or The Haven for being closer to the school, but there are plenty of other apartment complexes around. If you're coming to the event next week, it might be a good time to ask Ms. Beverly about student housing and to take a look around campus to see what's available.

Last edited:

Thank You
Huntington Chase apartments on Massard Road are about 2 miles from ARCOM. A 2bed/2bath is $675 and they are nice.
You can also check out The Links apartments on Zero Street. They are affordable and only a few miles from school.

Last edited:
Has anyone received information on matriculation requirements? The matriculation agreement they had us sign said they would send it to us by January but I haven't gotten anything