2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when we find out about scholarships? I know that everyone gets a stethoscope scholarship but I was under the impression that many students get additional scholarships awarded. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

I loved ARCOM but I'm trying to finalize what school I'll attend based on what's best for me financially

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received information on matriculation requirements? The matriculation agreement they had us sign said they would send it to us by January but I haven't gotten anything

I haven't gotten anything either. I was wondering if I'd missed it. I emailed about it but haven't gotten a response in a couple of weeks.

Email just went out about background checks and more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten anything either. I was wondering if I'd missed it. I emailed about it but haven't gotten a response in a couple of weeks.

I emailed them this morning and they said “We did send information the first week of February regarding next steps and immunizations. Did you not receive this email? We need to figure out why you aren’t getting the information so you don’t miss anything. Additional requirements will be emailed by Monday next week.”

Has anyone received information on matriculation requirements? The matriculation agreement they had us sign said they would send it to us by January but I haven't gotten anything
I received an email on Wednesday March 27th about important dates, matriculation requirements, and a flyer about move in dates. If you haven't received that email, I think you should contact arcom and let them know so you can get that info.

I received an email on Wednesday March 27th about important dates, matriculation requirements, and a flyer about move in dates. If you haven't received that email, I think you should contact arcom and let them know so you can get that info.

I need to get my act together! At first I thought you were making stuff up, I also got that email, but saw nothing about move-in dates... Went back through and realized I did not look at the attached flyer! You’re 100% correct, July 18 & 19....

My wife and I are quite torn on what to do with housing. We have decided it’s worth it for me to fly back to FSM and scope out the best place. With mandatory attendance and the fact that I suck at being punctual (I’m dealthy allergic to waking up early, so I’m always late) proximity to school is quite important... However, if there is a place close where my wife and child can walk over and visit me at lunch for $400 less/month we’ll probably go with that.

I honestly can’t wait to start this journey with you guys and I’m very glad I picked ARCOM to train train as a physician!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys:
I put down my deposit in December 2018 to secure a spot in ARCOM's Class of 2023. Last week, I was accepted into Kansas City University (KC campus). It seems illogical to choose a school that hasn't graduated a class yet before one that is a founding DO school (founded in 1916) with an established reputation, great statistics, and many connections. I was excited to study at ARCOM though.
Any of you accepted applicants have an opinion on my predicament? I guess I would like to know what you would choose and why.

I need to get my act together! At first I thought you were making stuff up, I also got that email, but saw nothing about move-in dates... Went back through and realized I did not look at the attached flyer! You’re 100% correct, July 18 & 19....

My wife and I are quite torn on what to do with housing. We have decided it’s worth it for me to fly back to FSM and scope out the best place. With mandatory attendance and the fact that I suck at being punctual (I’m dealthy allergic to waking up early, so I’m always late) proximity to school is quite important... However, if there is a place close where my wife and child can walk over and visit me at lunch for $400 less/month we’ll probably go with that.

I honestly can’t wait to start this journey with you guys and I’m very glad I picked ARCOM to train train as a physician!
Just work hard to keep an 80% average in BECOM, then you'll be able to skip all these lectures.

Hey guys:
I put down my deposit in December 2018 to secure a spot in ARCOM's Class of 2023. Last week, I was accepted into Kansas City University (KC campus). It seems illogical to choose a school that hasn't graduated a class yet before one that is a founding DO school (founded in 1916) with an established reputation, great statistics, and many connections. I was excited to study at ARCOM though.
Any of you accepted applicants have an opinion on my predicament? I guess I would like to know what you would choose and why.
Current OMS1 here at ARCOM, and I'm gonna be honest with you KCU is a better choice (just because of its reputation and its large residency network), but also a tougher program. Just make sure you will succeed there though because there's no point going to a school if you're gonna fail out later anyway. Hit the ground running and work hard from day one. Me personally, I turned down KCOM last year because I felt I wasn't gonna succeed there due to the atmosphere and the vibe I got from the school and the very tiny town, and so I stick with ARCOM. It was a hard decision, but I made it anyway, and now I have to live with it. Hopefully, it still turns out to be a good decision for my career.

Last edited:
Current OMS1 here at ARCOM, and I'm gonna be honest with you KCU is a better choice (just because of its reputation and its large residency network), but also a tougher program. Just make sure you will succeed there though because there's no point going to a school if you're gonna fail out later anyway. Hit the ground running and work hard from day one. Me personally, I turned down KCOM last year because I felt I wasn't gonna succeed there due to the atmosphere and the vibe I got from the school and the very tiny town, and so I stick with ARCOM. It was a hard decision, but I made it anyway, and now I have to live with it. Hopefully, it still turns out to be a good decision for my career.

You’ll be fine. Any other inside info you think is worth sharing?

There are not any places within walking distance that would save you any money- you would actually be paying more for the townhouses that are behind the school (they are $1400 a month with nothing included).
I live 2.5 miles from school in a 3b/2ba duplex that costs $820/month. The 2b/2ba units are $775. There is a lot of housing within just a few miles, but anything that is actually in Chaffee Crossing is going to cost a lot. I would also suggest looking for listings in Barling, AR.
ARCOM is on the Fort Smith/Barling line, and Barling rent is considerably cheaper than Fort Smith.

There are not any places within walking distance that would save you any money- you would actually be paying more for the townhouses that are behind the school (they are $1400 a month with nothing included).
I live 2.5 miles from school in a 3b/2ba duplex that costs $820/month. The 2b/2ba units are $775. There is a lot of housing within just a few miles, but anything that is actually in Chaffee Crossing is going to cost a lot. I would also suggest looking for listings in Barling, AR.
ARCOM is on the Fort Smith/Barling line, and Barling rent is considerably cheaper than Fort Smith.
What duplexes do you live in if you don’t mind sharing? That’s a pretty good price for a 3b and 2b.

Members don't see this ad :)
What duplexes do you live in if you don’t mind sharing? That’s a pretty good price for a 3b and 2b.
There’s not really a name for them, but they’re on Huntington Chase, Huntington Trace, Chadwick Way, and Chadwick Trace. My landlord posts them on Craigslist when they are available. The 3beds go fast, but if I see a for rent sign up in the neighborhood I will post on here! I think there is a 2bed for rent right now, but it will be gone before most people move here for school.

For those going to this welcome home event, what is the dress code you think?

If weather permits, we were gonna ride the motorcycle down.. I was going to show up in jeans. We may have to reconsider then lol

I just emailed them and they said the event is casual.

I got accepted off wait list yesterday.
will be withdrawing from another acceptance to take this offer.
Any advice from current students would be much appreciated!!
Thank you
Best of luck to everyone else
Yours are coming

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you
Yours are coming

Congrats. What time did they call you?

Thank you
Yours are coming
PM me if you have any questions.

Hey Y'all! I am applying this fall and I have a 3.49 GPA and I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I have a Spanish minor, a long list of extra curricular activities, volunteer and patient contact hours, and am in the military. Anyone with a 3.49 gpa get waitlisted or accepted this cycle? I can't find their admittance stats anywhere and I want to know if its even worth applying since I don't have a 3.6 or above. Thanks!

Hey Y'all! I am applying this fall and I have a 3.49 GPA and I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I have a Spanish minor, a long list of extra curricular activities, volunteer and patient contact hours, and am in the military. Anyone with a 3.49 gpa get waitlisted or accepted this cycle? I can't find their admittance stats anywhere and I want to know if its even worth applying since I don't have a 3.6 or above. Thanks!

GPA is fine. Check the averages on the site.

Has anyone else heard back from the waitlist? Also does anyone know if they are finished interviewing for the cycle?

Last edited:
Has anyone else heard back from the waitlist? Also does anyone know if they are finished interviewing for the cycle?

I think they’re done. And a couple people have been getting in.

May is when things really start rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expect more movement in the coming weeks as MDs pull from the waitlists

April 30th, at least it used to be, they changed some of the rules this year

Hey! I put my deposit down at the Residents this weekend for a 2 bedroom and am now looking for a roommate. Anyone else in the same boat? Pm me

Does anyone recommend getting a touchscreen laptop? I assume it wouldn't matter, but maybe some of the software might be easier to use with a touchscreen..

Does anyone recommend getting a touchscreen laptop? I assume it wouldn't matter, but maybe some of the software might be easier to use with a touchscreen..
Most laptops these days are touchscreen anyway. Most people have something with a pen you can write on the screen with like an iPad or a surface pro or book. They are super useful when taking notes on the lectures PowerPoint slides.

I prefer my ipad for notes. Laptop is for rewatching lectures

Any current ARCOM students have an opinion on the summer Anatomy course? Is it worth taking for 1500? Did you feel it made a difference at all?

Any current ARCOM students have an opinion on the summer Anatomy course? Is it worth taking for 1500? Did you feel it made a difference at all?

I heard from a student that it was really useful for her and other students that went. Anatomy looks like the basis of so much other stuff we will need to know and the anatomy lab might be a one time chance to see the human body without the pressures of injuring someone. Being as familiar as one can before jumping into school just seems like a good idea.

Personally, I don't want to shell out 1500 bucks or be locked down in class right before a long and arduous journey of more classes. So what I have been doing is going through my brother-in-law's old Medical Anatomy and Anatomy Atlas texts while looking up my questions and watching some Ninja Nerd anatomy videos on YouTube. I just study a few hours a day, when I have time. And I will stop studying a few weeks before school starts. Don't want to get burned out ;)

If you want more time in the lab, feel better having someone else teach you, and aren't worried about adding more time in school (burnout), I'd say 1500 bucks really isn't that much in the long run. Not sure if this helps you, since I just have hearsay and opinions. But good luck, and I look forward to starting class with you ;)

I heard from a student that it was really useful for her and other students that went. Anatomy looks like the basis of so much other stuff we will need to know and the anatomy lab might be a one time chance to see the human body without the pressures of injuring someone. Being as familiar as one can before jumping into school just seems like a good idea.

Personally, I don't want to shell out 1500 bucks or be locked down in class right before a long and arduous journey of more classes. So what I have been doing is going through my brother-in-law's old Medical Anatomy and Anatomy Atlas texts while looking up my questions and watching some Ninja Nerd anatomy videos on YouTube. I just study a few hours a day, when I have time. And I will stop studying a few weeks before school starts. Don't want to get burned out ;)

If you want more time in the lab, feel better having someone else teach you, and aren't worried about adding more time in school (burnout), I'd say 1500 bucks really isn't that much in the long run. Not sure if this helps you, since I just have hearsay and opinions. But good luck, and I look forward to starting class with you ;)
You will get more anatomy than you ever want over your first year. Enjoy your last free summer

It's only useful in the sense that it gets you ahead of your classmates in anatomy (as the same materials covered in the bootcamp will also be covered again for the first two exams and lab practicals) meaning you will have more time to focus on your other classes during the first couple months of class, but other than that it's not necessary especially if you have taken anatomy before in undergrad.

You will get more anatomy than you ever want over your first year. Enjoy your last free summer
Last year, people kept telling me to enjoy my time off before school, and I was like I just wanna start pre-studying and get ready for this beast called medical school. I really didn't understand until I actually started medical school. Now I would give anything to get those free time back lol. Man, it's been grueling.

Reactions: 2 users
Last year, people kept telling me to enjoy my time off before school, and I was like I just wanna start pre-studying and get ready for this beast called medical school. I really didn't understand until I actually started medical school. Now I would give anything to get those free time back lol. Man, it's been grueling.
I worked up till June 1st. If I could do it over again I would have left as soon as it was f inacially feasible. Only having a month off was crappy.

Not a current student, but an incoming one: I'm doing the class to get a feel for how an actual medical class is structured and to get more comfortable with it in a setting where although you're being graded, it doesnt go on your record. Its a way to ease your way into it without the 'hit the ground running' were going to feel doing the equivalent of 28 credits in a masters program per semester. Also, you will also have the opportunity to meet 1/3 of your class and get to know the faculty before orientation. For me, that seems worth it.