2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any clue how many people Arcom waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many people are accepted off of it? Based on previous years
I wouldn't be able to give you an exact estimate. From what I've heard for the inaugural class, almost all the waitlisted people were accepted since the interview cycle started much later, they scrambled to fill the class, but for last year it was very different with much less movement than expected, but still there was a good amount of movement between April and June. In my opinion, I'd say anywhere from 40 to 80 got off the waitlist last year, but I might still be wrong though. And just from my observation for this year, we're already seeing much less movement than we had last year as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't be able to give you an exact estimate. From what I've heard for the inaugural class, almost all the waitlisted people were accepted since the interview cycle started much later, they scrambled to fill the class, but for last year it was very different with much less movement than expected, but still there was a good amount of movement between April and June. In my opinion, I'd say anywhere from 40 to 80 got off the waitlist last year, but I might still be wrong though. And just from my observation for this year, we're already seeing much less movement than we had last year as well.

Called yesterday and they said there’s been little movement and there’s no spots open. I’d give it till May to see some real movement. I’m gonna simmer down and enjoy life.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a current student, but an incoming one: I'm doing the class to get a feel for how an actual medical class is structured and to get more comfortable with it in a setting where although you're being graded, it doesnt go on your record. Its a way to ease your way into it without the 'hit the ground running' were going to feel doing the equivalent of 28 credits in a masters program per semester. Also, you will also have the opportunity to meet 1/3 of your class and get to know the faculty before orientation. For me, that seems worth it.

I took the boot camp last summer after being out of school for 2 years. I am very glad I did the boot camp. The lab and lecture time is absolute madness, you spend the morning in lecture and the afternoon in lab for two weeks straight with the test on Friday. It kicks your butt, but it got me in the school mentality which I needed and gives you a leg up in the first two anatomy tests. The average for our class was something like 60 on the written test and 55ish in the lab practical in bootcamp, So you will most likely do terrible testing wise, but the time in the anatomy lab ahead of time should reflect when you take your first real anatomy test. If you are fresh out of school and have anatomy experience, the bootcamp might be less useful.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone bought the background check/drug screen package yet? I'm wanting to wait until May for financial reasons but I don't want to get in any trouble for waiting. All I know is that things need to be done/in progress on June 1st.

Has anyone bought the background check/drug screen package yet? I'm wanting to wait until May for financial reasons but I don't want to get in any trouble for waiting. All I know is that things need to be done/in progress on June 1st.
If they're still using Castlebranch this year, then I think you can pay in monthly installments. That way you don't have to pay the whole thing and still get everything started.

I'm on salary based income so I'll get paid on the 1st so I'd rather just pay it all then & budget it in next months bills. I think I remember it was $150? I already got my immunization list & I just need Hep B, which I've started. Just didn't know if there was anything else. But thank you!

I'm on salary based income so I'll get paid on the 1st so I'd rather just pay it all then & budget it in next months bills. I think I remember it was $150? I already got my immunization list & I just need Hep B, which I've started. Just didn't know if there was anything else. But thank you!

I have been working on it as well and it is $142

Has anyone applied to ACHE’s MSB program? Also, would that be a way to show interest specifically for arcom?

Members don't see this ad :)
Called yesterday and they said there’s been little movement and there’s no spots open. I’d give it till May to see some real movement. I’m gonna simmer down and enjoy life.
Past 2 years ARCOM gave out around 300 acceptances, looks like they are changing their acceptance policies this year. The FB class of 2023 shows 144 members

Past 2 years ARCOM gave out around 300 acceptances, looks like they are changing their acceptance policies this year. The FB class of 2023 shows 144 members

What does that mean? What are they changing it to? Thanks for the insight by the way. I’d appreciate any information at all.

I got one of the last interview dates or the last (I interviewed in February). I don’t even know if there were any open seats when I interviewed. Being on the waitlist is making me nervous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because they gave out that many didn't mean that many attend :p They have a class size they adhere to

Is every member of the Facebook group a new student though? I thought several of the members were faculty and current students.

First of all, they give out 300 acceptances (or more) because once someone drops their seat they have to replace it with someone else. That's why they interview 700+ people for only 150 spots. They know that not everybody they accept will actually attend. Also the Facebook page have plenty of OMS1s and OMS2s, Admin members, and sometimes parents, plus accounting for the fact that not everyone has (or uses) Facebook, so I wouldn't rely on that.

For the OMM labs how often do you have to disrobe/be on a sports bra and do they tell you ahead of time?

Thank You

For the OMM labs how often do you have to disrobe/be on a sports bra and do they tell you ahead of time?

Thank You
I cant speak for ARCOM but we've never been shirtless/sports bra in my OMM classes.

First of all, they give out 300 acceptances (or more) because once someone drops their seat they have to replace it with someone else. That's why they interview 700+ people for only 150 spots. They know that not everybody they accept will actually attend. Also the Facebook page have plenty of OMS1s and OMS2s, Admin members, and sometimes parents, plus accounting for the fact that not everyone has (or uses) Facebook, so I wouldn't rely on that.

Is that 300 count before they start accepting off the waitlist? Or does that include the waitlist? That would mean by the 300 number that they accept everyone off the waitlist.

Is that 300 count before they start accepting off the waitlist? Or does that include the waitlist? That would mean by the ~300 number that they accept everyone off the waitlist.
That 300 means the amount they accept as the interview season goes plus the amount the accept off the waitlist.

Last edited:

Thank You
For OMM lab, sometimes they will tell you when you're gonna have to wear a sports bra ahead of time during lecture before lab. It's usually during lab that would involve manipulating the thoracic or lumbar areas, so you will also know when to bring one based on what is scheduled that day.

I thought the last year class was 164
Yes, they accept people to fill up their seats, but then some of them drop their spots to go to other schools as the interview season goes, then the school have to accept other people as they get new interviewees or off of the waitlist, so in total the amount they end up accepting is about ~300 (or more). All schools end up accepting more than their class size in order to fill their seats.

I thought the last year class was 164
And it was 162 in total that started first year, but they accepted less than that amount because some people from the inaugural class had to repeat the year (maybe about 6 or 7 of them).

which program would you choose between ARCOM MSB vs KCU COB?

I applied to both. Still waiting to hear back from KCU COB. I am leaning towards the ARCOM MSB program. It is closer to home and way cheaper (tuition is only $5000 for the first cohort).

How much does it cost to live at The Residents? The linked url in this thread goes to an invalid webpage.

How much does it cost to live at The Residents? The linked url in this thread goes to an invalid webpage.
It should be somewhere around 900 for a 1 bedroom unit. I think the price went up this year. It was 875 last year (for a 2 bedroom unit it was 1200), and that's including cable tv, utilities, washer and dryers etc...

Same here. It makes feel more nervous when I get them. Does anyone know when are our last chance of getting accepted and how big of a chance is it actually?

Wonder how big the wait list is. The school may be trying to weed out the probables from the wait list.

Just turned down my seat. I think this will be a great class! Best of luck to you all, and I hope one of you waitlist hopefuls gets the call soon!

Reactions: 5 users
For those of you on the wait list, my son was accepted last year on May 22nd.

Reactions: 6 users
I will be declining my seat in favor of another school. I truly hope it goes to one of you all !!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm an OMS-1 student here and I was accepted off the wait list on June 5th and some of my peers got off the wait list as late as one week before orientation. Yes, it can be stressful but don't lose hope until the school year starts. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm an OMS-1 student here and I was accepted off the wait list on June 5th and some of my peers got off the wait list as late as one week before orientation. Yes, it can be stressful but don't lose hope until the school year starts. Good luck to everyone!

Can you share what your stats were if you don’t mind?

What is the date that all (DO and MD) matriculating medical students can only hold one spot?

Anyone know if the school provides a student health insurance option?
No, but you can get Arkansas Medicaid (ARworks insurance) for free. If you need name and contact info for an agent here that can help you out for free, PM me.

Last edited:
Where is the best (cheapest) place to get furniture? Thanks! :)

Where is the best (cheapest) place to get furniture? Thanks! :)
I got most of my stuff from wayfair.com. They are pretty cheap. But if you don't like online shopping and don't wanna assemble things yourself (though you could probably pay extra for assembly on wayfair.com), I know both FFO and Old Fort furniture, not too far from the school, offer 15% off to ARCOM students and free delivery.

Can anyone provide any insight towards future Clinical Rotation sites for OMS-III and IV? Do you feel the school will continue to develop more relationships in more states? Is there options for elective rotations not listed?