2018-2019 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi strange question but I just got an interview for the 8th and was wondering if I'm allowed to bring my bags with me to the interview. Ideally I would check out of my hotel, but do they have a place for me to store my bag? Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Efficiency is key during the week to keep up and focusing on lecture notes is a much better use of time than pouring over the reading. It's faculty-dependent too. Some will indicate reading is recommended vs. required and even some that say it's required point out that the exams will focus on their lecture material. There are a couple of professors that reading is required for but those texts are available via the library. Also sometimes the text can offer practice questions but again you will have access to those books via the library. The exception is definitely if you are deficient in certain areas, reading is helpful.

Thanks! I appreciate the thorough response!!

Hi strange question but I just got an interview for the 8th and was wondering if I'm allowed to bring my bags with me to the interview. Ideally I would check out of my hotel, but do they have a place for me to store my bag? Thank you guys!

Email admissions and ask. If you are renting a car and can return easily to your hotel, most hotels have a locked closet at the front desk for guests to store their bags for the day if they are checking out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven’t heard from 11/06. Losing interest in this school honestly

Reactions: 1 users
Really hope they haven’t given out all the acceptances for these dates so far. I don’t want an R wave at the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I still haven’t heard from 11/06. Losing interest in this school honestly

I am in the same boat I haven’t heard from 11/05 but I was sent an email before Christmas that they would send something out on Jan 11th

Just got placed on the waitlist, interviewed on 11/13. Does anyone know how long it might take to get off of the waitlist, or does it just depend? Is there a chance of still getting rejected?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted as well from 11/06

What are the chances of getting off the wait list?

Hey same here, I think we interviewed the same day

I think we did. Seems like everyone got waitlisted. I had a feeling they probably filled up the majority of their spots for the 2023 class hence everyone getting waitlisted

I think we did. Seems like everyone got waitlisted. I had a feeling they probably filled up the majority of their spots for the 2023 class hence everyone getting waitlisted

I don’t know if I would say everyone. I’m making an assumption, but I think a large number of people follow SDN. It seems like they only waitlisted a few from each interview date. They’re probably going to roll out the acceptances and rejections from those dates later this week....then again, I may just be hopeful because I, like the rest of you, really want to get off the waitlist!

I don’t know if I would say everyone. I’m making an assumption, but I think a large number of people follow SDN. It seems like they only waitlisted a few from each interview date. They’re probably going to roll out the acceptances and rejections from those dates later this week....then again, I may just be hopeful because I, like the rest of you, really want to get off the waitlist!

I didn’t literally mean everyone. Obviously some people have been accepted and rejected. I’m sure there will be plenty of movement on the WL since Campbell does their application process differently than others.

I didn’t literally mean everyone. Obviously some people have been accepted and rejected. I’m sure there will be plenty of movement on the WL since Campbell does their application process differently than others.
I dont know much about the process at Campbell. What is different in Campbell process than others.

I dont know much about the process at Campbell. What is different in Campbell process than others.

If you are accepted at CUSOM before Jan 15th they give you 30 days to either put a deposit down or decline the offer. So if CUSOM was your first interview and first acceptance back in September you might be willing to put a deposit down just in case you didn’t get any more interviews. So chances are the people who put deposits down in the beginning of the cycle will find other schools they like and or possibly get accepted to a MD school in which they would forfeit their deposit.

If you get accepted before December at most DO schools they give you till December 15th to make a deposit. Gives you the opportunity to interview af multiple schools and see which one you like before you put a deposit down.

If you are accepted at CUSOM before Jan 15th they give you 30 days to either put a deposit down or decline the offer. So if CUSOM was your first interview and first acceptance back in September you might be willing to put a deposit down just in case you didn’t get any more interviews. So chances are the people who put deposits down in the beginning of the cycle will find other schools they like and or possibly get accepted to a MD school in which they would forfeit their deposit.

If you get accepted before December at most DO schools they give you till December 15th to make a deposit. Gives you the opportunity to interview af multiple schools and see which one you like before you put a deposit down.
Okay Got it.. Thanks

Hey everyone. I know is really late in the cycle but I want to take the risk And apply here. But I do have a question.
In the prerequisite part to choose upper level science it said 3 hours credit and 2 minimum grades. Since all my biology classes are 4 credits that mean I can pick one class to fulfill each one of thepepper level science prerequisites?

Current MS-4. Feel free to PM me with questions once you're accepted. I don't have any insight as to the admission process and am too many years out to have good perspective, so can't really answer questions pertaining to that.

Could any current students talk about textbooks please? There's a list of required/recommended books online. It seems like a lot of books are required and was wondering if the school gives them out or if we have to purchase them? Planning my funds for first year....
Campbell seems to have established quite a bit of residency sites. I'm interested in internal medicine. I know they were working on adding Wake Med. Does anyone know if there was any progress?

I appreciate any info!!
There's been relatively minimal reported progress on the WakeMed thing. Students like us are unlikely to know behind-the-scenes progress of course. It's also possible they will start off with only a prelim year spot vs a full categorical residency, so there's no guarantee it will be there for you when you graduate. As a general rule, don't ever count on things that are promised in the future -- institutional timelines often have a different urgency than our individual timelines.

Perfect, thanks! Yeah that list was def scary haha so you all study mostly with lecture slides and notes?
By the latter half of second year, half our class had given up on lectures in general and focused mostly on boards resources. Definitely don't buy any textbooks. I used maybe one of them.

Current MS-4. Feel free to PM me with questions once you're accepted. I don't have any insight as to the admission process and am too many years out to have good perspective, so can't really answer questions pertaining to that.

There's been relatively minimal reported progress on the WakeMed thing. Students like us are unlikely to know behind-the-scenes progress of course. It's also possible they will start off with only a prelim year spot vs a full categorical residency, so there's no guarantee it will be there for you when you graduate. As a general rule, don't ever count on things that are promised in the future -- institutional timelines often have a different urgency than our individual timelines.

By the latter half of second year, half our class had given up on lectures in general and focused mostly on boards resources. Definitely don't buy any textbooks. I used maybe one of them.

Thank you! So relieved I don't have to purchase all the material, it's expensive!

I was originally placed on hold but offered a secondary today after they received my new grades from AACOMAS. I am sitting on 4 acceptances to other DO schools plus 2 wait lists and an MD interview next week. I do like the Christian mission of CUSOM, but am not from the area. Can anyone give advice as to whether it is worth doing the secondary at this point? Do they realistically interview that many more/take students from OOS?

Accepted!! Interviewed 11/27, waitlisted 1/8. More than ecstatic to be part of the class of 2023!

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody have experience living close to downtown Raleigh and commuting? The wife and I are looking to live closer to city center and just trying to get an idea about how traffic is. Google indicates approx 45min each way (morning and then afternoon), which is a bit of a drive but I figure it's a good time to re-listen to lectures

Anybody have experience living close to downtown Raleigh and commuting? The wife and I are looking to live closer to city center and just trying to get an idea about how traffic is. Google indicates approx 45min each way (morning and then afternoon), which is a bit of a drive but I figure it's a good time to re-listen to lectures
Traffic is bad around the triangle but if you are reverse commuting like that I would not imagine it would be too bad- just a far drive every day!

Traffic is bad around the triangle but if you are reverse commuting like that I would not imagine it would be too bad- just a far drive every day!

@abrackins that's what I got from my research too. Roads coming to Lillington should be fine as most people commute to Raleigh.

@dwights @NCDocs Thanks!
Also, as we get closer to the summer I'd be interested in looking for carpool options with anybody choosing to live in the same general area.
Hope everybody enjoys the next 5-6 months!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else excited about accepted students day? Does anyone know what it is about? We already learned about board scores, curriculum etc. on interview day so I wonder what the program will look like

@abrackins that's what I got from my research too. Roads coming to Lillington should be fine as most people commute to Raleigh.

I’ll be living in Durham for at least the first semester. It takes me about 55 minutes in the AM, but I take the toll highway.

Anyone with experience living in the Fuquay-Varina area? I’ve been looking into the Meridian at Broad Street Market.

Reactions: 2 users

Raleigh is doable. Our current first year class has several commuting that far. Most that want to be convenient to other things and/or live in Wake County school district live in the burbs because it cuts your commute in half. Still very commutable for spouses to work in Raleigh, Durham, CH. Fuquay is the most popular and the closest. But yes, you will be commuting against traffic and it’s a pretty relaxed drive. Some re-listen to lectures but honestly many try to be as efficient as possible at school and home and use that as their mental break time. I know some younger students particularly like to use that time to call parents and catch up too.

Anyone with experience living in the Fuquay-Varina area? I’ve been looking into the Meridian at Broad Street Market.

Yeah tons of students in my class and the classes before us have lived in Fuquay. I do. Great place to live. Lots of places to eat when you don’t feel like cooking, breweries for post-exam weekend, grocery stores, more gym options, although the on site gyms are great and we will have the new rec facility on campus so maybe that’s not so important. About 25 minute commute for Marquee and Meridian with no traffic. Perfect study break. Marquee was very popular in previous classes but since Meridian has opened last year I think more in our class live there. They offer similar price points and amenities and students have been very happy in both. I think the new construction probably caught the attention of our class more. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know what kind of computer they give you? I can’t remember which model they said the last class got.

Confirming the above. Don't blow your money on an ipad pro until you play with the laptop and stylus. The ipad pro + apple pencil definitely work better, but $1000 better? That's going to depend on how you like to take notes and how much you would utilize it. Also if you wait, you can see other people's and play with them some to get a feel for whether it's worth it to you. It's worth it to me, but it's not for a lot of people.

Super late to this party but just scheduled an interview for next week, 1/29! I have seen a couple people post about the waitlist so is it safe to assume that this interview will be for a spot on the waitlist instead of just acceptance?

Really excited about this school since it's very close to home!