2018-2019 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate List Upper 1/3
Do people from Upper 1/3 usually get accepted?

I heard they upper-waitlist some applicants that they think will probably go to other medical schools.
Happened to my friends previously. If they think the applicant will get into UVA or other schools and if they don't seem 100000% sure with EVMS, they usually waitlist them first no matter how qualified they are.

So I am really hoping that they will give me acceptance later.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How do you know what position on the alternate list you're on? The email I got didn't specify.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate List Upper 1/3
Do people from Upper 1/3 usually get accepted?

I heard they upper-waitlist some applicants that they think will probably go to other medical schools.
Happened to my friends previously. If they think the applicant will get into UVA or other schools and if they don't seem 100000% sure with EVMS, they usually waitlist them first no matter how qualified they are.

So I am really hoping that they will give me acceptance later.

I am curious as to where you heard this? I did interviews for the 2016-2017 cycle and unless a candidate made it obvious that they were not interested in EVMS/would rather be elsewhere/etc. we would not withhold an acceptance offer on an assumption that they wouldn't attend if given the opportunity to do so. We look at the applicant as a whole (interview+application) and given our system for decisions, we don't choose to place someone on the waitlist simply because we don't think they'll matriculate here.

In terms of waitlisting seemingly over-qualified applicants, it all comes down to finding the right people who'll be a good fit for EVMS--there are no doubt plenty of applicants who are rockstars on paper but when it comes to interview day and getting to meet them in person, it gives us a different perspective of who they are and we may feel that given their strengths+weaknesses, they are better suited for another school. For example, EVMS is big on volunteering and serving underserved populations but if we have an applicant who tells us that she "doesn't want to work with homeless people who live in cardboard boxes" then EVMS is most definitely not the best match for them. (You'd also be surprised at the number of people who have very impressive applications but then end up being incredibly cocky and full of themselves and their achievements so that's another category of seemingly over-qualified applicants who end up on the waitlist).

Tl;dr there's a lot more that goes into a decision than just assuming that someone would more likely matriculate elsewhere, and there's a lot more than being qualified on paper to get into EVMS. Hopefully this was able to shed some light on the topic!

And as for your question re: upper third waitlisting, here's my explanation from earlier in this thread. I know it sucks to be waitlisted but hang in there! You'll end up where you're meant to end up :)

Everyone who interviews will get a decision of acceptance, alternate list, or rejection. I think the average time for a decision is 4-6 weeks but it can depend on the cycle. I can't remember the logistics behind the Oct 15 rule but if you interviewed 6-7 weeks ago and haven't heard back, I would call after Oct 15 if you still haven't gotten a decision. Generally, if it has been more than 6-7 weeks since you interviewed, I would call the office and just let them know that you haven't heard back and would like to know when to expect a decision. Also, keep in mind that SDN is a very tiny portion of the entire applicant pool--there are plenty of lurkers and people are also less likely to post about rejections.

Each third of the waitlist has over 100 candidates so it is not unusual for people in the top third to not get in--I had interviewed on the same day as another SDNer and he was placed in the top third and I was in the middle third. I ended up getting accepted and he never did, and it really just depends on the cycle and what kind of applicants give up their seats since people are taken off the waitlist to best match the candidate who withdrew their acceptance. "Matching" can include IS/OOS, ethnicity, gender, stats, extracurriculars, unique experiences, etc. SO for example, if a OOS non-white ORM male candidate who has lots of experience in global health/outreach gives up their seat, then the adcoms will try to find someone who is similar to that in order to keep the class as diverse as possible. People in the top third are considered first BUT if they cannot find a similar candidate, they will move to the middle third then to the bottom third. THEY DO NOT ACCEPT EVERYONE OFF THE TOP THIRD BEFORE MOVING TO THE MIDDLE THIRD so while the top third has the "best chance", if no one has a similar profile they will move down the list. Also, once you are placed in a specific third, you stay there for the duration of the cycle--there is no such thing as moving up/down the waitlist. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone still have silence since secondary? It's a lurverly feeling
(OOS, LM 75, completed early september)

Reactions: 2 users
Invited to interview today! In-state, LM ~74, complete July 18th. Interview dates in February.

Reactions: 4 users
Silence since early JULY here. I’m just assuming all of the Virginia schools are a silent rejection at this point
why do Virginia schools have to be like this :/ I'm rooting for you Kiwi, see you on Reddit a lot and I wish you the best <3

Reactions: 4 users
II just now. LM 67, nontrad. Sent in my primary on the deadline (11/15) and my secondary as soon as they sent it to me (11/19). Couldn't believe I somehow missed this school on my original list and was really kicking myself, assuming I'd blown it. The only dates they had were two in February.

Edit: OOS but regional.

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now. LM 67, nontrad. Sent in my primary on the deadline (11/15) and my secondary as soon as they sent it to me (11/19). Couldn't believe I somehow missed this school on my original list and was really kicking myself, assuming I'd blown it. The only dates they had were two in February.

Did you receive the II via email or phone call?

Do you guys think there will still be slots available? I missed their email for an II today which I got at 2pm EST. I'm currently abroad on the other side of the world, so I was sleeping; woke up at 4am my time now and just missed the window to call EVMS to schedule. I can't call them until tmrw morning EST, but I'm worried all slots will be gone and they'll be like "oops, II rescinded" :(:(:(
When I got mine back in Oct, I didn't realize it was there until four days after it arrived because it arrived in my spam folder. Although it's now later in the application season, I don't think they would send out more II than II times

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think there will still be slots available? I missed their email for an II today which I got at 2pm EST. I'm currently abroad on the other side of the world, so I was sleeping; woke up at 4am my time now and just missed the window to call EVMS to schedule. I can't call them until tmrw morning EST, but I'm worried all slots will be gone and they'll be like "oops, II rescinded" :(:(:(

Hey, I think you'll be fine. If we got the same email, you'll see that they say they're currently scheduling for the listed dates. If those fill up before you call, they'll "schedule your interview for a later date." So to me that sounds like they only open up a few dates at a time; once those are booked, they open up the next batch. And congratulations!!

They'll get you in they want you to come they invited you!! Save your neuroticism for interview day.

No, there won’t be. Literally every bad thing you can imagine is happening. My uncle is the director of admissions and he just told me your offer is rescinded, from every school, ever. Also your house is on fire.

anyone know the date of EVMS' second look day already or when that typically gets announced?

any idea when EVMS returns decisions? Interviewed at the beginning of December, and wondering when I could expect to hear back

Does anyone know if Suffolk is safe ? I know that some Norfolk areas are sketchy , but I don’t know anything about Suffolk . Ideas ?

Nice to see that you still got an II despite being late! Congrats :)

Does anyone know if Suffolk is safe ? I know that some Norfolk areas are sketchy , but I don’t know anything about Suffolk . Ideas ?

Everywhere in Hampton Roads has the ability, except for Ghent I guess, to be spotty. More's the point though, why would you want to live that far? Even if you're not a go to class person there is a lot of mandatory stuff you have to be at school for, and I'm only talking from a M1 perspective. I wouldn't live in Suffolk for any reason, literally any at all. Driving time is going to add up and time seems like the one thing you never have enough of. And I'm just an M1.

Everywhere in Hampton Roads has the ability, except for Ghent I guess, to be spotty. More's the point though, why would you want to live that far? Even if you're not a go to class person there is a lot of mandatory stuff you have to be at school for, and I'm only talking from a M1 perspective. I wouldn't live in Suffolk for any reason, literally any at all. Driving time is going to add up and time seems like the one thing you never have enough of. And I'm just an M1.
I am sorry , I wasn’t asking for myself . My in-laws are moving there . If I get accepted I am definitely living in Ghent. They asked me to try to get peoples opinions

Does anyone know if a Macbook Air is a good way to go for EVMS? It says they'll likely work but not recommended. Any other suggestions for a good laptop that works at EVMS?

Does anyone know if a Macbook Air is a good way to go for EVMS? It says they'll likely work but not recommended. Any other suggestions for a good laptop that works at EVMS?

Literally any laptop except probably one from a dumpster or the ocean

I have an interview coming up and I will be flying out there. My interview is scheduled at 2pm on a Friday and I am trying to catch a 6:15pm flight. Do you think this is enough time to make my flight accounting for traffic? I will be checking a bag in too.
Also, what transportation have people used to get from the campus to the airport? Thanks for the help!

I have an interview coming up and I will be flying out there. My interview is scheduled at 2pm on a Friday and I am trying to catch a 6:15pm flight. Do you think this is enough time to make my flight accounting for traffic? I will be checking a bag in too.
Also, what transportation have people used to get from the campus to the airport? Thanks for the help!

Show time is 2 pm for the tour and interview and stuff? No, you can’t make a 6:15 flight in that case. Interview itself is at 2 pm and then you can peace ? Yes you probably can. Most people walk to the airport, it’s about 15 miles. Alternatively you could run. There might be this thing called Uber. Maybe that’s an option, too.

I believe that's the first interview block for interview days so depending on how long it takes to get to the airport you should be fine. The tour and everything occurs before the interviews so once you're done with the interview you're free to leave I'm pretty sure. I was the very last interview block though so you may want to double check with the school.

I believe that's the first interview block for interview days so depending on how long it takes to get to the airport you should be fine. The tour and everything occurs before the interviews so once you're done with the interview you're free to leave I'm pretty sure. I was the very last interview block though so you may want to double check with the school.

Ok thanks! Yeah that’s what she told me.

As for airport transportation she said it only takes 20 minutes but with traffic it can be 1-1.5 hours. So in that case I wouldn’t want to take a 1.5 hour Uber... is there another bus or shuttle that goes to the airport?

Interviews are typically 45 min so you will probably be fine! You'll end your interview around 3p and even with traffic, you'll probably get to the airport no later than 4pm-ish and that's plenty of time to check your bag and get to your gate--ORF is a tiny airport and 99% of the time the TSA security check is <10min. When I interviewed, I had a rental car but Uber/Lyft are good options (I use Uber to go between EVMS and ORF) :) Best of luck!

(Also, unfortunately there is no shuttle service between EVMS and the airport; Norfolk is a small place and even our public transportation is not very effective)

Any in-state waitlist movement ?

Accepted off upper 1/3 waitlist. OOS
Can we get an estimate of when you interviewed? And yes can you say if it was a telephone call and whether you sent updates? I'm shocked someone got off the WL this early, congrats!! :)

I also got off the waitlist a couple of days ago so it happens but I was told by others that it is rare so I was not getting my hopes up before it did happen. I feel super duper lucky.

Interviewed Dec. 7; Waitlisted OOS upper 1/3 Dec. 19; Update and extra LOR sent Jan. 2; Accepted Jan. 9 but called January 9 hours before I was accepted and I don't think they had uploaded my update yet... So not sure if that exactly was the difference.

Acceptance through email.

I also got off the waitlist a couple of days ago so it happens but I was told by others that it is rare so I was not getting my hopes up before it did happen. I feel super duper lucky.

Interviewed Dec. 7; Waitlisted OOS upper 1/3 Dec. 19; Update and extra LOR sent Jan. 2; Accepted Jan. 9 but called January 9 hours before I was accepted and I don't think they had uploaded my update yet... So not sure if that exactly was the difference.

Acceptance through email.
Wow that's awesome!! Did you just email them the LOR? Or did you send it from Interfolio somehow? I have a new one I want to send too. Thanks!

Wow that's awesome!! Did you just email them the LOR? Or did you send it from Interfolio somehow? I have a new one I want to send too. Thanks!
I had my PI upload it onto AMCAS and then I made it available to EVMS by going into AMCAS. I think most schools would find that easiest although having the recommender themselves email it directly probably works as well.

Good luck!

I had my PI upload it onto AMCAS and then I made it available to EVMS by going into AMCAS. I think most schools would find that easiest although having the recommender themselves email it directly probably works as well.

Good luck!

Oh interesting, didn't think of that! Thanks!