2018-2019 Georgetown University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can always try a student host. I stayed at the university’s hotel. They give a discount if you say you’re coming for an interview. I dont remember the uber being more than $18 from the airport to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did apply for a student host but too late, and I don't think I'll get one, unfortunately. It seems like the Ubers are not that expensive then. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! For those familiar(ish) with D.C., is Uber very expensive? I don't think I can afford hotels or stay in an AirB&B near the school. Not sure if I will be saving if I stay further away.

It’s relatively expensive but I recommend staying somewhere close by and then taking the subway in. Like, you could stay in Tyson’s Corner, take the silver line, bus, then walk (only way to do it from Tyson’s). But literally, your best bet is to stay anywhere with easy access to Metro

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed in mid-September and beyond here back yet?

hey friends, just a word of advice from some current students. if you have interviewed at Georgetown, they take into consideration whether you submitted a thank you note following your interview. not sure how much weight this will have on overall acceptance/ rejection based on your application, but it is highly encouraged!

best of luck to everyone, whether at Georgetown or any other school! sending good vibes.

Reactions: 10 users
II this morning! Complete late August

Reactions: 3 users
hey friends, just a word of advice from some current students. if you have interviewed at Georgetown, they take into consideration whether you submitted a thank you note following your interview. not sure how much weight this will have on overall acceptance/ rejection based on your application, but it is highly encouraged!

best of luck to everyone, whether at Georgetown or any other school! sending good vibes.

I'm not familiar with these thank you notes. Are they postcards? Other type of cards? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I'm not familiar with these thank you notes. Are they postcards? Other type of cards? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Nah I don't think it's a dumb question. They actually have it on their applicant portal with the person we interviewed with. My assumption is it's just a letter stating your appreciation and what you learned from it- at least that's been my approach to interview thank you notes!

I never received a confirmation about the class visit. Does that mean it's still on? I don't want to show up an hour early if there's no class.

II last week! Available dates were for mid December and early January. Submitted mid August.

I never received a confirmation about the class visit. Does that mean it's still on? I don't want to show up an hour early if there's no class.

I dont remember receiving a confirmation for that either... but we had it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
II last week on 11/7! I was complete 10/5. They gave a list of hotels that offer discounts through Georgetown. So excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Trying to gauge where Georgetown ranks on y’all’s lists. Is it top choice or..?

Trying to gauge where Georgetown ranks on y’all’s lists. Is it top choice or..?
That's a hard question to answer because there are so many factors to consider! I would say easily top 10, but potentially not top 5. That's only because I live in CA though and we have such a great school system here. What about you? Still deciding?

That's a hard question to answer because there are so many factors to consider! I would say easily top 10, but potentially not top 5. That's only because I live in CA though and we have such a great school system here. What about you? Still deciding?
Dunno yet tbh, seeing how the cycle plays out. Pros and cons

Reactions: 1 users
interviewed late September, just got acceptance call from Dean Mitchell! So excited!!!
Got the call roughly 20 minutes ago (almost 8:30 am PST)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
interviewed late September, just got acceptance call from dean Mitchell! So excited!!!
Got the call roughly 20 minutes ago (little past 8 am PST)
YAY CONGRATS !!!!!

Fellow late September interviewee here on the edge of my seat now.

Congrats to you! That's awesome news :)

I also interviewed late sept and hoping to hear today now....regardless of the result this has been the longest wait lol

YAY CONGRATS !!!!!

Fellow late September interviewee here on the edge of my seat now.
Congrats to you! That's awesome news :)

I also interviewed late sept and hoping to hear today now....regardless of the result this has been the longest wait lol

Sorry to cause the worry. I know the anxiety it causes when you are anxiously waiting to hear when you know others have. I hope you hear back soon, and best of luck during your cycle and remember its a LONG road.

Also, just got email confirmation of the acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
II last week on 11/7! I was complete 10/5. They gave a list of hotels that offer discounts through Georgetown. So excited!
Congrats! I was complete around the same time (10/3), but I haven't heard anything yet. When's the interview?

Post interview WL email. Looks like the waiting continues..... Any current students know about WL movement at georgetown and advice about how to get off of it?

Post interview WL email. Looks like the waiting continues..... Any current students know about WL movement at georgetown and advice about how to get off of it?
It apparently has a decent amount of movement, and you have to continually demonstrate your interest through updates, emails to admissions, letters of intent (which is binding, saying if you get off waitlist you will go), letters of interest (nonbinding).

Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

It apparently has a decent amount of movement, and you have to continually demonstrate your interest through updates, emails to admissions, letters of intent (which is binding, saying if you get off waitlist you will go), letters of interest (nonbinding).

Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Late Sept

Post-II WL over email, interviewed 9/24. So thankful it was not a rejection! This was my first interview so it went a bit rough. Keeping my head up and hoping for the best for everyone else :)

Post-interview rejection email today. Interviewed mid-september. Very bummed but good luck to everyone else and congrats to those who got acceptances today!

Accepted by phone today as well! Interviewed late September

I wonder if they're done with calls for the day....I interviewed late sept and others from my date heard back today already. I havent gotten an email yet either.

I wonder if they're done with calls for the day....I interviewed late sept and others from my date heard back today already. I havent gotten an email yet either.
I don't know if this is helpful at all but have you checked your spam? I have heard of multiple instances where people found some news waiting for them there. I'm hoping that they're still calling so you can get some good news--last year they had calls as late as 9pm EST so don't give up hope yet!

Reactions: 2 users
+1, the silence is deafening! Late Sept as well, but not sure if anyone from my exact date was called/emailed

I don't know if this is helpful at all but have you checked your spam? I have heard of multiple instances where people found some news waiting for them there. I'm hoping that they're still calling so you can get some good news--last year they had calls as late as 9pm EST so don't give up hope yet!
Giving me hope burb!

It is helpful!! but alas, no messages in my spam folder. Thank you for your support!!! :)

Yeah me neither. I don't think any of us on here really know, but it could be one of those situations where your interviewer needs to present your file or something to the committee and maybe they couldn't make it today. Like I said though, just speculating.

Yeah me neither. I don't think any of us on here really know, but it could be one of those situations where your interviewer needs to present your file or something to the committee and maybe they couldn't make it today. Like I said though, just speculating.
My interviewer told me that the interviewers don't present or even go to the committee (unless your interviewer is on the committee, which isnt likely). They write up a report after they interview you and send it to the committee, and they add it to your overall file. So the delay most likely is they didn't come to a decision on us yet, or they didn't get to us yet.

My interviewer told me that the interviewers don't present or even go to the committee (unless your interviewer is on the committee, which isnt likely). They write up a report after they interview you and send it to the committee, and they add it to your overall file. So the delay most likely is they didn't come to a decision on us yet, or they didn't get to us yet.
Ahh I see. I wonder how frequently the committee meets/if we’ll hear back this week or have to wait til the next round whenever that could be. Appreciate that info!

Ahh I see. I wonder how frequently the committee meets/if we’ll hear back this week or have to wait til the next round whenever that could be. Appreciate that info!
I really hope we dont have to wait until next round. I heard they review in batches of 80 and if people from our interview days have heard back i would find it extremely odd that we wouldnt have been in that batch. But who knows....this is all very mystifying lol. There is still a chance we hear back this week as you said!

did they send out any post-interview rejections yet? Or is it just acceptances and waitlists