2018-2019 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not as much work as it seems. Their secondary prompts are short and sweet (mostly 600-1100 chars) and the rest of the form is pretty straightforward. Duke is proving more challenging to complete.

You're totally right. Wasn't bad at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know what the deal with the Hodson Trust Scholarship is? I'm not sure what a beneficial employee is, and with a quick google I didn't find any information either. Thanks in advance!

For the following prompt: "Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience?", what is the standard approach? I've been racking my brains for a bit about this essay and the only thing I could come up with was either political/ideological (which I'm gonna avoid) or about things that will make me come across as sheltered.

One of my ideas was similar to that but I feel like I've already written about that volunteer experience in my primary and mentioned it (albeit briefly) in a different essay. Might still go with it because its one of the only ideas I have :/

little lost on the minority question lol

thought about talking about growing up asian in a broken and violent home. hfc

curious about this too. are we including all of our activities?

I talked about trying out for the marching band a second time because I got cut the first time around. So I talked about how I was somewhat out of place as one of the only non-freshman in the group and how I was initially embarrassed at trying out a second time. And then I talked about how it turned into a great experience because I could be a mentor to the people I was meeting and I ended up approaching it with a much more positive attitude.

I didn't have a lot that made me a diverse person, so this was something that I felt like I could talk about without it seeming like I was super sheltered/inexperienced.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having an issue with the login? I thought my pin was saved on my computer... apparently it was not. Now I keep pressing forgot pin and I'm not getting an email from them about my pin. Thoughts? (it's not in my spam folder)

how do we know if they received our letters? will we receive a completed email?

Did anyone else really struggle to cut their adversity essay answer down to 900 characters? I feel like I’m using nearly half the character count to explain the challenge and provide context, so I don’t have enough space to give enough detail to lessons learned and how it applies to medicine.

Is it ok to be really vague about the adverse experience and just give a brief sentence stating the essence of our example?

I did pretty much the same thing. A lot of mine was context, i had one sentence about how I addressed the challenge, and then a sentence explaining what I learned .

Did anyone get a complete email after they submitted?

IIRC, it took a long time to be marked as complete last year. I think it took about a month for mine to be marked as complete, and I submitted the day the secondary came out and wasn't waiting on any letters.

Did anyone else really struggle to cut their adversity essay answer down to 900 characters? I feel like I’m using nearly half the character count to explain the challenge and provide context, so I don’t have enough space to give enough detail to lessons learned and how it applies to medicine.

Is it ok to be really vague about the adverse experience and just give a brief sentence stating the essence of our example?

Yep, that's pretty much what I did, too!

IIRC, it took a long time to be marked as complete last year. I think it took about a month for mine to be marked as complete, and I submitted the day the secondary came out and wasn't waiting on any letters.

Thanks!...but what does IIRC mean?

IIRC = If I remember correctly

Sorry for the confusion!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok maybe I'm doing something epically stupid but for some reason I keep getting the following error when I try to save the "personal information" page of the app!!

System Message:
Please review the details presented below for more information. If required questions on this page are not complete, they will be identified in the list below. All other page information will still be saved.

• Legal Telephone Number
    A required field has been left blank.
I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong...my phone number is typed in like xxxxxxxxxx, but I've also tried xxx-xxx-xxxx and (xxx)xxx-xxxx. Is anyone else having this problem? I haven't tried submitting yet so maybe it won't even matter but idk why it keeps saying this error.

I had the same issue! Make sure your phone number for your address is also added even if you checked the box saying your address is the same as the other one. Pretty sure that fixed it. I just out my cell phone number in again.

Reactions: 1 users
I had the same issue! Make sure your phone number for your address is also added even if you checked the box saying your address is the same as the other one. Pretty sure that fixed it. I just out my cell phone number in again.
that worked!! Thank you!!!

interviewing begins August 23
last interviews February 23
all interviews are on Thursdays and Fridays

Passing on this info given to me anonymously.

Oh wow that soon, that means invites probably started or are coming out very soon

interviewing begins August 23
last interviews February 23
all interviews are on Thursdays and Fridays

Passing on this info given to me anonymously.

Who do you know on the adcom??

But yes, the coming months will be ripe with interviews. Current students were recently emailed for to volunteer for hosting, so the time is nigh.

I'll just shamelessly plug the host program – I've done it from MS2 onwards and had a great time. Stayed with hosts during my interview night and it really gave me additional insight to the school I never would have gleaned from interview day! (Tbh my hosting experience had more bearing on my decision to matriculate than my interview day. Talk to currents students. Talk to everyone you meet. Increase sample size, increase power.) I know when I was interviewing I got anxious fielding emails to random med students, but now that I'm on "the other side of the curtain" it's no biggie. We host because we want to do it. If it's a bad week on our end we'll let you know.

I remember some guy on my interview day was staying at a rough Motel 8 a ways from the hospital and others had dropped hundreds of dollars on a room in the Inner Harbour. I get if you have allergies/must sleep on a goose down mattress/require absolute darkness/etc., but try and message some hosts before throwing in the towel. There's plenty of hosts with animal-free houses and private rooms. This process costs a stupid amount of money, so let us help you. Now that I'm staring down the barrel of residency apps, I'm faced with a sense of déjà vécu.

Anyone who what to put for this?

"WRITING INTENSIVE COURSES (which must be from two H/SBS courses above):"

I don't even know what H/SBS is

Wait, has anyone gotten an email saying there app is "complete" yet? If they're starting interviews Aug 23rd, they should be sending out invites pretty soon, but at least in this thread it doesn't seem like anyone's gotten confirmation that their app is even complete...
My portal still says submitted. 7/10

Humanities and social science courses which were writing intensive
What is considering "Writing Intensive"?

I took a couple history classes where we were required to write a minimum of 6 essays I think

I took a couple history classes where we were required to write a minimum of 6 essays I think

My transcript designates certain courses as writing intense. Does your school do something similar? These were classes which had a thesis-type project.

My transcript designates certain courses as writing intense. Does your school do something similar? These were classes which had a thesis-type project.
I can't find it and when I google writing intensive courses with my undergrad name nothing comes up.
All I can find is a list of courses that fulfill the writing requirement (Gordon Rule classes, as it's referred to in my state).

I called and asked last year because I was concerned about it, and they told me it isn't something that they consider until after you've been offered admission, so you don't need to worry too much right now. I was under the impression that it was the kind of thing where if there were iffy classes, you could talk to them and explain how they were writing-intensive (although this is just speculation on my part, so don't take my word for it).

Last edited:
I can't find it and when I google writing intensive courses with my undergrad name nothing comes up.
All I can find is a list of courses that fulfill the writing requirement (Gordon Rule classes, as it's referred to in my state).

Hmm, then I bet any class which you would consider as "writing intensive" would fit the bill. As @ExtraEspresso said, I imagine you'll be given the opportunity to justify your choices, probably referencing the syllabus/course description, should the need arise.

Submitted :D
Now I await the rejection

Last edited:
has anyone else not gotten an email saying they're complete? I submitted on 7/27 and I believe my letters have been received, but I haven't gotten any emails since the one confirming that I submitted my app
I submitted 7/11 and have yet to receive a completion email. It looks like most people still haven't received one which is odd if they are going to start sending out invites soon

I submitted 7/11 and have yet to receive a completion email. It looks like most people still haven't received one which is odd if they are going to start sending out invites soon
The MSAR says "We typically begin sending interview invitations by mid-August" so I guess completion emails are somewhat on the horizon

On AMCAS, I didn't bother including any future hours because I feel like adcomms just want to see what we've done. I don't have anything new or exciting coming up next year. For this secondary though, since it's August now, I'm thinking about adding in my senior year for the activities that I will be continuing. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

On AMCAS, I didn't bother including any future hours because I feel like adcomms just want to see what we've done. I don't have anything new or exciting coming up next year. For this secondary though, since it's August now, I'm thinking about adding in my senior year for the activities that I will be continuing. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?
I think that’s fine. One of the reasons for secondaries is to provide the most up to date info to schools

for the majority question, do you think talking about a leadership decision that may not have been well received at first be an ok topic? the only other thing i can really think about is a study abroad experience and being in an unfamiliar culture or assimilating to the US culture as an immigrant (this was a while ago so probably too far removed)

for the majority question, do you think talking about a leadership decision that may not have been well received at first be an ok topic? the only other thing i can really think about is a study abroad experience and being in an unfamiliar culture or assimilating to the US culture as an immigrant (this was a while ago so probably too far removed)

I think that could work well

Anyone just get an email about filling out this secondary? Even though you submitted weeks ago?

Anyone just get an email about filling out this secondary? Even though you submitted weeks ago?
You mean the one that started off " we are pleased to inform you..." and gave me a minor heart attack?

Yeah, I did :p

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I did. Submitted and complete on July 20, lol. Let's hope this email doesn't mean we've lost our place in line :nailbiting: