2018-2019 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you answer “Why MU-COM?”
I’m not from Indiana but I have an interest in staying there after med school to help increase the # of primary care physicians. I also like the collab between nursing and med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you answer “Why MU-COM?”
I’m not from Indiana but I have an interest in staying there after med school to help increase the # of primary care physicians. I also like the collab between nursing and med students.
I think you answered your own question tbh. I bet Marian would love to hear what you put here.

Received II today, and scheduled my interview for December 7! I am nervous :arghh: I hope an interview in December is not too late/doesn't mess up my chances of acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Received II today, and scheduled my interview for December 7! I am nervous :arghh: I hope an interview in December is not too late/doesn't mess up my chances of acceptance.
Interview was such a positive experience!

Reactions: 1 users
Do we get to learn who our interviewers are beforehand? Or are we just told who we are interviewing with the same day?

They didn’t tell us beforehand, so the interviewers introduced themselves when I met them. But They were all super nice and Some were students or clinicians!

Do we get to learn who our interviewers are beforehand? Or are we just told who we are interviewing with the same day?

I interviewed the very last interview day (around March 30) and still got in :) there is lots of hope! good luck!

501 mcat 3.4 cgpa 3.1 sgpa, complete 10/27, what are my chances here
i had veryyy similar stats and got an interview, was waitlisted, then got in (current 2nd year). but they really do look at the entire application so i know people with amazing stats who didnt get an interview and some w/ subpar stats like me lol who got an interview!

Anyone know chances of getting off the alternate list? Just got placed

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got placed on the alternate list; interviewed last week. Here is my question: I see on the website that the first seat deposit for the regular admission is due Dec 14? What does this mean? Does this mean that everyone that was offered a seat prior to Dec 14 must submit a deposit? I am wondering because--as someone now on the waitlist--if there are many accepted applicants that forfeit their seat on Dec. 14, does that mean many waitlisted can get a seat? I'm still processing this and trying to figure out the best mentality and "hope" to hold onto moving forward lol. Do I anticipate getting off of the list each day or just wait until a mass change in May? Thank you for your help and contribution!

i had veryyy similar stats and got an interview, was waitlisted, then got in (current 2nd year). but they really do look at the entire application so i know people with amazing stats who didnt get an interview and some w/ subpar stats like me lol who got an interview!
That's good to know, I have a lot (12k+) clinical hours and good LORs so I'm hoping for the best

I just got placed on the alternate list; interviewed last week. Here is my question: I see on the website that the first seat deposit for the regular admission is due Dec 14? What does this mean? Does this mean that everyone that was offered a seat prior to Dec 14 must submit a deposit? I am wondering because--as someone now on the waitlist--if there are many accepted applicants that forfeit their seat on Dec. 14, does that mean many waitlisted can get a seat? I'm still processing this and trying to figure out the best mentality and "hope" to hold onto moving forward lol. Do I anticipate getting off of the list each day or just wait until a mass change in May? Thank you for your help and contribution!

Waitlist movement varies too much to guess. My year ~50% were accepted from the waitlist. This past year, it was much lower.

As far as when you can expect an acceptance, it depends how full the class is/how full the admissions wants it to be after December 14th. I recall a small few of my classmates did get accepted from the waitlist in December or January, but majority will hear back starting in May. It could happen, but I wouldn’t get my hopes too high for a winter acceptance.

how many weeks of dedicated does MU-COM have?

Did anyone else on the waitlist get the email sent out today about the next review and potentially getting off the waitlist this January?

Are there any M1’s or M2’s that could PM me and answer a few quick questions about the curriculum here. I just interviewed here on the 7th, but I feel I have already forgot a lot of what was said.

Are there any M1’s or M2’s that could PM me and answer a few quick questions about the curriculum here. I just interviewed here on the 7th, but I feel I have already forgot a lot of what was said.

Happy to answer questions you may have, I'm an OMS-II. It is finals week, so I apologize for any delays.

As for everyone talking about the waitlist, I interviewed in the middle of October and was accepted Memorial Day weekend. My best advice to you is to continue to challenge yourself with coursework best you can and send in updates when you have them, but I probably wouldn't send more than one update a month. That way you don't seem like you're sending an email every time you volunteer for three hours, but still showing interest in the school.

I was rejected from this university a couple weeks ago. Yesterday, I received an email in regards to their Masters in Biomedical Science program (which serves as a stepping stone to their medical school I guess). Is there anyone that has had experience with this? What are your thoughts?

anyone know if the deposits are due by a certain time tomorrow?

I was rejected from this university a couple weeks ago. Yesterday, I received an email in regards to their Masters in Biomedical Science program (which serves as a stepping stone to their medical school I guess). Is there anyone that has had experience with this? What are your thoughts?
automated email, don't look into it too much

I was getting that vibe. My question was more along the lines of thoughts about the program?
Both of my OMS-II tour guides had gone through the Masters program and had really good things to say about it. They said you cover a lot of the same material taught in the first year which made those classes a lot easier once you're in the DO program.

has friend whos currently in the program and he has nothing but nice thing to say. I mean do the master program here if you wanna go to marian because I believe they have a day in Jan where they interview just the master students.

512 mcat, 3.4 gpa and just had my secondary completed as marked, I found out about this school recently and am totally interested in their mission. Do I have a chance at getting a II or has most of the movement already happened?

I submitted my secondary 10/07 (after receiving a rejection from the school I applied to with early decision atatus). I have not hear anything at all back. I sent admissions an email about 10 days ago to guage if taking a formal sociology class would be worth the tuition money: I received no reply.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

I submitted my secondary 10/07 (after receiving a rejection from the school I applied to with early decision atatus). I have not hear anything at all back. I sent admissions an email about 10 days ago to guage if taking a formal sociology class would be worth the tuition money: I received no reply.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Not sure about email communication but you better call them. They do answer the phone call

how many weeks of dedicated does MU-COM have?

I'm a 3rd year here. Last year anyway, our last systems course ended during the 3rd week of April and then we had until July 5th to take the COMLEX. So we essentially had the freedom to make our dedicated as long or short as we wanted, with the time between when we took boards and July 5th as vacation time.

Reactions: 1 users
Really excited that I got a II here. Do OOS applicants with no ties to Indiana have a shot?

I was accepted to this school and another one closer to home. I’m gearing more towards school #2 ... I feel more comfortable with the vibes and culture. BUT... MU-COM has a better rep and higher COMLEX scores.. should I go with my gut? Why did you choose MU-COM over other osteopathic med schools?

Anyone know if the alternate list and the waitlist are the same thing here. If they are different, is one better than the other? I was placed on the alternate list.

Well, there are almost vastly different in cultures and vibes so honestly, go with where are you most comfortable. I know people said you wont have time in med school to enjoy your environment but I would hate to be miserable in my down time because I hate being there. So go with your gut!

Forgot to post that I was accepted here! Interview on 12/7!

Does MUCOM have in-state preference and accept a limited OOS students? As an OOS student I'm just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using SDN mobile