2018-2019 Morehouse School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know if people have been pulled off the wait list and given an acceptance this week? Or does anyone know when wait list movement will start and if we will hear anything today or next week? I've been on the wait list for a while now and im getting extremely anxious. I am preparing for an mcat retake but I reallllllly dont wanna take it again. I sent a letter of intent and morehouse acknowledged receipt of it. Anyone have any insight or even answers based on last year?

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if people have been pulled off the wait list and given an acceptance this week? Or does anyone know when wait list movement will start and if we will hear anything today or next week? I've been on the wait list for a while now and im getting extremely anxious. I am preparing for an mcat retake but I reallllllly dont wanna take it again. I sent a letter of intent and morehouse acknowledged receipt of it. Anyone have any insight or even answers based on last year?
I was expecting something today, it is getting closer. By Apr 31 ,accepted students have committed to one medical school and release the other acceptances if had more than one.

Just received an award letter for financial aid. Does anyone know how accurate that basic budget is and what that includes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted off the waitlist with some scholarship offers! I'm juggling between this school and another that gave me a comparable scholarship as well. I think I'd be happier at Morehouse than I would at the other school, with the location, culture, and population. However, my biggest "Hmmm" is that Morehouse's scholarship is conditional and the other is not.
Never thought I'd be in this position, but I'm so grateful and excited nonetheless.

Reactions: 2 users
WL in Jan, Accepted off the waitlist this evening. Feeling pretty conflicted about it tbh cause I LOVED Morehouse when I visited but I don't think I can justify the extra cost compared to my state school.

Reactions: 1 users
WL in Jan, Accepted off the waitlist this evening. Feeling pretty conflicted about it tbh cause I LOVED Morehouse when I visited but I don't think I can justify the extra cost compared to my state school.
Congratulations. How soon do you have to accept the offer? Does anyone know if this means few more acceptances will follow during the next few days?

Just got accepted off the waitlist with some scholarship offers! I'm juggling between this school and another that gave me a comparable scholarship as well. I think I'd be happier at Morehouse than I would at the other school, with the location, culture, and population. However, my biggest "Hmmm" is that Morehouse's scholarship is conditional and the other is not.
Never thought I'd be in this position, but I'm so grateful and excited nonetheless.
Congrats!! If you don’t mind me asking, when were you waitlisted? Still hoping I get accepted off the waitlist soon

Congrats!! If you don’t mind me asking, when were you waitlisted? Still hoping I get accepted off the waitlist soon
Thanks! I was put on WL on 2/28 and accepted yesterday, 5/3.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I was put on WL on 2/28 and accepted yesterday, 5/3.
Congratulations. How soon do you have to accept the offer? Does anyone know if this means few more acceptances will follow during the next few days?

@ Current students + Folks in the ATL area: in which areas should I start looking for housing? Would ideally like a cute little 1bd/1ba or a studio with a manageable 20 min or less drive from campus. I don't mind paying around 1500/month for rent if it means comfort, safety, and convenience. I'm coming from across the country with few connects in the area.

(Sorry if this has been asked before but the search function stinks, and I'm not on FB to join any class groups)

@ Current students + Folks in the ATL area: in which areas should I start looking for housing? Would ideally like a cute little 1bd/1ba or a studio with a manageable 20 min or less drive from campus. I don't mind paying around 1500/month for rent if it means comfort, safety, and convenience. I'm coming from across the country with few connects in the area.

(Sorry if this has been asked before but the search function stinks, and I'm not on FB to join any class groups)

I wanted to ask the same question! Does anybody know which neighborhoods are safe and nice to live? I'm looking for a place for about $800/month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to ask the same question! Does anybody know which neighborhoods are safe and nice to live? I'm looking for a place for about $800/month.
So far, Ive been using this: https://www.msm.edu/_resources/MSMimages/admissionsphotos/HousingandRelocationRecommendations.pdf
However it's outdated, so all the $500/month spots are like $1200/month in 2019. Damn damn DAMN.
Also since I'm not a Georgia native, I've been checking out YouTube and watching ATL apartment tours and apartment hunting vlogs, which have been surprisingly helpful. They've featured some cute $800-900/month 1BD/1BAs that are 30 min away from campus if you don't mind driving that long.

So far, Ive been using this: https://www.msm.edu/_resources/MSMimages/admissionsphotos/HousingandRelocationRecommendations.pdf
However it's outdated, so all the $500/month spots are like $1200/month in 2019. Damn damn DAMN.
Also since I'm not a Georgia native, I've been checking out YouTube and watching ATL apartment tours and apartment hunting vlogs, which have been surprisingly helpful. They've featured some cute $800-900/month 1BD/1BAs that are 30 min away from campus if you don't mind driving that long.

Hey, here is a pdf from the facebook page. It has housing recommendations from current students, so the prices are more up to date. I hope this helps!

Attachments

• Morehouse SOM 1st Year Apartment Guide 2019.pdf
    245.4 KB · Views: 116
So after receiving our award letter, how do we accept or decline aid? What exactly is the next step? I see on the award letter where the COA is, but is there anyway we can see the actual tuition and fee breakdown? I couldn't find it on their website, so if anyone knows where it is, lmk please :)

So I'm not a current student, but lived in ATL since 2000. West End may be cheaper, but don't live there (not the safest area). You can definitely find a 1bd/1bath for less than 1,500, usually 1,200 is the average for a 1bd/1bath in areas near campus. This becomes cheaper the further away you are. I still recommend being in a 20 minute radius since traffic in atlanta is terrible. I would recommend the following areas:
-Downtown
-Midtown
-Old Fourth Ward
-Atlantic Station
-Grant Park
-Inman Park
-East Atlanta Village
-Edgewood

I recommend these areas because they are close to campus, has a lot of things to do for young people (beltline, art, parks, bars, etc.), and relatively safe.

For safety reasons, don't live in West End (unless its an apartment building that caters to AUC students), Bankhead, Vine City, or Mechanicsville

So after receiving our award letter, how do we accept or decline aid? What exactly is the next step? I see on the award letter where the COA is, but is there anyway we can see the actual tuition and fee breakdown? I couldn't find it on their website, so if anyone knows where it is, lmk please :)

If you were offered a scholarship, you have to email the office of financial aid to accept the award. Their email is [email protected]. Make sure you attach a word document stating you accept the scholarship.

Also, I had the same question about tuition/ fee breakdown so I went ahead and called to ask. I was told that the first letter we received is an estimate. We are supposed to receive a more detailed plan along with instructions on how to apply for loans later this month.

Hi everyone..
I got accepted from the waitlist on May 3rd.,interviewed march 8th,
I have been accepted at a D. O.,,school and now here.
I have a question about the "plan to enroll tool"
If i select this does it mean that I have to drop my acceptance from,the D. O school?
Will they be able to see it?
I just confused about this?
Can someone please explain

Hi everyone..
If i select this does it mean that I have to drop my acceptance from,the D. O school?

AACOMAS and AAMC Are two different systems. I am pretty certain that AAMC will not know your status at any DO schools, so you should be fine.

Do you mind answering if you are IS or OOS for Morehouse?

Hi everyone..
Congrats! If you don’t mind me asking, what we’re your stats and are you IS it OOS? Are you also an URM, just trying to gauge the probability of me getting off the waitlist

Does anyone know if Morehouse will reject candidates from Alternate list at some point or just will be silent? Thanks

For those of you who were accepted off of the WL, could you let us know yalls stats (if you’re comfortable sharing)? Also could you mention if you are URM, IS or OOS? Some of us just wondering what our chances of being accepted off the WL are

Also, anyone know when the next round of acceptances will be?

For those of you who were accepted off of the WL, could you let us know yalls stats (if you’re comfortable sharing)? Also could you mention if you are URM, IS or OOS? Some of us just wondering what our chances of being accepted off the WL are

I’m currently waitlisted as well. Looking at past threads and considering the fact that people admitted off the wait list have 2 weeks to respond, I believe that the next round of acceptances will likely be next week.

Interviewed Jan. 11th. Waitlisted Jan. 27th. Accepted April 3rd.
Stats:
GPA: 3.92
MCAT: 498 (I know it’s a low score but I just wanted to share that it is definitely possible to get accepted even with a low score bc you are more than your stats)
IS applicant

I hope this encourages those that are waiting for their acceptance!

Stats:
MCAT: 498 (I know it’s a low score but I just wanted to share that it is definitely possible to get accepted even with a low score bc you are more than your stats)
IS applicant

Amazing!!! Congratulations!!!

Stats:
IS applicant

congratulations!! Must’ve been a huge burden off your shoulders considering it was a long wait on the WL. I hope you kill it!

If you don’t mind me asking, did you send morehouse anything while you were on the WL? Any advice for someone like me who is still waiting?

congratulations!! Must’ve been a huge burden off your shoulders considering it was a long wait on the WL. I hope you kill it!

If you don’t mind me asking, did you send morehouse anything while you were on the WL? Any advice for someone like me who is still waiting?

Morehouse is receptive to letter of intent. I would send one if it’s your first choice.

Morehouse is receptive to letter of intent. I would send one if it’s your first choice.
Yup someone told me this as well. I sent an LOI in March but still haven’t heard anything. They did email me back saying they received the LOI

Yup someone told me this as well. I sent an LOI in March but still haven’t heard anything. They did email me back saying they received the LOI

I really hope you hear back with good news soon! At my interview, the dean of admissions stated it is possible to get off the waitlist right until the day before orientation, which is at the very end of June this year.

I really hope you hear back with good news soon! At my interview, the dean of admissions stated it is possible to get off the waitlist right until the day before orientation, which is at the very end of June this year.
Thank you I really appreciate it! Do you think I should call the office next week or should I just play the waiting game longer?

AACOMAS and AAMC Are two different systems. I am pretty certain that AAMC will not know your status at any DO schools, so you should be fine.

Do you mind answering if you are IS or OOS for Morehouse?
Hi thank you for your response!
Some of you have asked about my statistics... I'm definitely not smart, but I am very passionate about medicine and specially about working with underserved populations
I am out of state.
500,mcat
3.6 GPA
3 years working with undeserved communities(shared a lot about that at my interview)
Research publication
Worked as a phelebitomist and medical assistant
And all the other normal stuff(community service, leadership roles, etc).
For those of you still waiting please don't lose hope!

Hi thank you for your response!
Some of you have asked about my statistics... I'm definitely not smart, but I am very passionate about medicine and specially about working with underserved populations
I am out of state.
500,mcat
3.6 GPA
3 years working with undeserved communities(shared a lot about that at my interview)
Research publication
Worked as a phelebitomist and medical assistant
And all the other normal stuff(community service, leadership roles, etc).
For those of you still waiting please don't lose hope!
I interviewed on March 8th too!

So I got waitlisted around April 3th.
But just got a welcome packet with all the paperwork.
I called them and they said it was a mistake. I'm still on the waitling list.
Anyone else on the same boat.
Why do they play with our feelings like that?

THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO - brutal. I called too and I got the same response... :(

Nothing - anxiously waiting. Based on last years' thread..., should be today or tomorrow that final decisions come out...
I wanted to call them but I’ve already contacted them so many times that I don’t want them to be even more annoyed with me lolol

Wait, they just send out a mass wave of final decisions??
Tbh I’m not sure, but it seems logical that they’d pull off a handful of names from the WL every now and then. We are also getting close to June so I wouldn’t be surprised if adcom only does one or two more rounds bc the class size might be close to full. Someone wanna give them a call to find out?

Tbh I’m not sure, but it seems logical that they’d pull off a handful of names from the WL every now and then. We are also getting close to June so I wouldn’t be surprised if adcom only does one or two more rounds bc the class size might be close to full. Someone wanna give them a call to find out?
When I called them, they told me they can't tell me anything about waitlist movement or if the class is full. The person I talked to seemed very firm on that. But considering their orientation is in June I expect they're finalizing class size pretty soon

When I called them, they told me they can't tell me anything about waitlist movement or if the class is full. The person I talked to seemed very firm on that. But considering their orientation is in June I expect they're finalizing class size pretty soon
Thank you, that’s good to know. I’m beginning to prepare for this upcoming app cycle but still holding on to some hope! Gl to everyone

another acceptances were sent this afternoon

also, any ORM accepted off the WL? Im east asian and just wanted to gauge my chances of being accepted off the WL