2018-2019 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When were you complete?
I was complete on 7/12 but I'm not sure that's relevant. I'm assuming they don't fill in dropped interview spots based on complete dates but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here yesterday. Really, really enjoyed it!

One question: What was the secondary like for NYMC? Were there essays? I can't for the life of me remember what the deal was, everything is blurring together lol. I have google docs for all other schools except NYMC and I'm gonna send in an update letter so I just want to make sure I'm not repeating information. Thanks in advance and sorry for my application brain drain!

One question: What was the secondary like for NYMC? Were there essays? I can't for the life of me remember what the deal was, everything is blurring together lol. I have google docs for all other schools except NYMC and I'm gonna send in an update letter so I just want to make sure I'm not repeating information. Thanks in advance and sorry for my application brain drain!
no essays and it was like $130. i remember bc i was a bit PO'ed at the price for their secondary asking repetitive info from the primary

II! First OOS interview. Complete Around August 20th-- (not exactly sure when). 509 MCAT, 3.55 cGPA, pretty steller EC's (not bragging). I was offered October 29th as the earliest with November 4th being the next available.

Reactions: 2 users
II today! Complete on 8/16, LizzyM~71, ORM. Offered 2 interview dates in early March (3/5 or 3/7).

Reactions: 1 user

I also interviewed yesterday and was so impressed by the school and how nice everyone was! Students really seemed to enjoy their experiences there.

Reactions: 1 users
II today! Complete on 8/16, LizzyM~71, ORM. Offered 2 interview dates in early March (3/5 or 3/7).
Damn those early slots must have just been 1 or 2. Can't believe i got October 29th and only got the interview like 30 minutes earlier.

Damn those early slots must have just been 1 or 2. Can't believe i got October 29th and only got the interview like 30 minutes earlier.

Yeah, those slots were opened up by people withdrawing their NYMC interviews after getting accepted to another school yesterday. I imagine early slots to open up as more people get accepted, new IIs might be interviewing next week or in April

Complete 7/30 here and still no response. No response from any of the schools that I applied to in August which is discouraging at this point.

placed on hold on 9/21 (didn't see until now bc had to log into the portal). a little disappointed but im not sure what the trend is with "holds" at this school

placed on hold on 9/21 (didn't see until now bc had to log into the portal). a little disappointed but im not sure what the trend is with "holds" at this school
what portal? they have a portal? Man I'm really hoping to get an II from this school but things are looking grim.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently placed on hold on 9/21 even though I've checked the portal ten thousand times since then...Complete 8/6. Anyone know if "on hold" is good or bad for this school?

I also interviewed yesterday and was so impressed by the school and how nice everyone was! Students really seemed to enjoy their experiences there.

How was the MMI portion of the day? My interview here is coming up soon and I'm really excited for it! But also a little nervous for the MMI...

Apparently placed on hold on 9/21 even though I've checked the portal ten thousand times since then...Complete 8/6. Anyone know if "on hold" is good or bad for this school?
exactly same - i'm certain i've checked the portal at least 10 times since then but only now saw this update. also wondering if anyone knows about the movement of the "hold" list?

exactly same - i'm certain i've checked the portal at least 10 times since then but only now saw this update. also wondering if anyone knows about the movement of the "hold" list?
At the interview, they said that they got 14,000 apps this year for 800-1000 interviews so I think getting off hold might a little tough. But I'm rooting for you!!!

Man I submitted mid july and still nothing. I'd rather have a hold so I know they at least looked at my app.

The current student on here says a hold isn't a death sentence so there's that

where does it say you are on hold?
I believe it should have that update under the "SECONDARY APPLICATION & ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE REVIEW" section. Right now all I see is "08/08/2018 - Your secondary application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee on Admissions." No hold yet, but it seems like they're doing this in waves.

I believe it should have that update under the "SECONDARY APPLICATION & ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE REVIEW" section. Right now all I see is "08/08/2018 - Your secondary application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee on Admissions." No hold yet, but it seems like they're doing this in waves.
Ok I dont see anything there either. Mine was complete 8/21 so who knows

Ok so I submitted my secondary here on 8/11 and I waited for a couple of weeks for them to complete the application and even emailed them about it and they said it can take upto 6 weeks. Which is fine. I emailed them again on 10/11 as it had been 2 MONTHS without any update and now it finally says under review. I mean, is this going to be to my disadvantage? It is not my fault as I sent in my secondary early and now I will be later on in the pile due to their slow procedure? I feel as if they forgot or something.

Was the MMI pretty standard? Is this one of the schools that has a traditional station or just like 8 normal MMI stations?

Ok so I submitted my secondary here on 8/11 and I waited for a couple of weeks for them to complete the application and even emailed them about it and they said it can take upto 6 weeks. Which is fine. I emailed them again on 10/11 as it had been 2 MONTHS without any update and now it finally says under review. I mean, is this going to be to my disadvantage? It is not my fault as I sent in my secondary early and now I will be later on in the pile due to their slow procedure? I feel as if they forgot or something.

Don’t worry, it all works out in the end. As an earlier poster mentioned, they routinely get between 12000 and 14000 applications. Interviews literally started last week, there is a LOT of time left.

My own interview came in March. They will not forget about you, it’s just a high volume school and these things take time to do right.

Reactions: 6 users
Don’t worry, it all works out in the end. As an earlier poster mentioned, they routinely get between 12000 and 14000 applications. Interviews literally started last week, there is a LOT of time left.

My own interview came in March. They will not forget about you, it’s just a high volume school and these things take time to do right.
Thank you so much. I was feeling so ****ty but this really helps!

Reminder to all NYMC or other school hopefuls. Many times your question is answered on an earlier page or the previous year's thread. @21Rush12 , I and other folks have good advice nuggets spread throughout. Good luck everyone!

Got an II yesterday, an earlier spot opened up so interviewing tmr lol. OOS, LM=70

Reactions: 5 users
@21Rush12 First of all I want to say you are awesome. Just read through last year thread and you answered so many of my questions.
As someone who got an interview like 2 days ago and is interviewing in the next 2 weeks I have been kind of rushing to understand this school.

As someone who had to have exams every 2.5 weeks did you feel like you ever got a break? I know a lot of schools have changed to the systems based curriculum that has all their exams every like 6 or 7 weeks.

Also, I have had some buddies tell me that this high pass/ pass/ low pass is essentially just A,B,C and not a true pass fail. How would you say that impacts the competitiveness of the student body?

And finally can you touch again upon the clinical experiences afforded to you being in the NYC area? I read in the last thread about some sort of lottery but that in the end you can rotate through all of these awesome NYC hospitals is that still true?"

Is anyone else receiving interview reminders even if your interview is not scheduled until Nov? I wonder if I am supposed to reply confirming my attendance?

Is anyone else receiving interview reminders even if your interview is not scheduled until Nov? I wonder if I am supposed to reply confirming my attendance?
Yes! I've gotten 2 already for my December interview. The wording doesn't make me think we have to reply.

Does anyone know if ubers are available in the area around the school? Interviewing here in a few weeks and trying to figure out logistics

Yes! I've gotten 2 already for my December interview. The wording doesn't make me think we have to reply.

Mine is confirmed for February, and ive gotten that email twice since the II a week ago lol

@21Rush12 First of all I want to say you are awesome. Just read through last year thread and you answered so many of my questions.
As someone who got an interview like 2 days ago and is interviewing in the next 2 weeks I have been kind of rushing to understand this school.

As someone who had to have exams every 2.5 weeks did you feel like you ever got a break? I know a lot of schools have changed to the systems based curriculum that has all their exams every like 6 or 7 weeks.

Also, I have had some buddies tell me that this high pass/ pass/ low pass is essentially just A,B,C and not a true pass fail. How would you say that impacts the competitiveness of the student body?

And finally can you touch again upon the clinical experiences afforded to you being in the NYC area? I read in the last thread about some sort of lottery but that in the end you can rotate through all of these awesome NYC hospitals is that still true?"

Happy to help! Just paying it forward and helping people understand the school.

The exam schedule was actually good IMO because more exams = less volume per exam. Second year is more spaced out, but both of these may change slightly.

The preclinical grading not being P/F has never affected my life in any way. Our class is an exceptional group of people and we have a very cohesive community. There is no competition, we are all in it together.

With that said I think that the 2023 class will finally be P/F, although this warrants official confirmation with admin.

Clinical: you rank your preferences and lottery matches as many people with as many top choices as possible. Most people are at WMC, Metropolitan, or Brookdale for their rotations. You’re not necessarily at the same place for every rotation. Worth noting that these things do change year to year. My personal experience has been overwhelmingly positive thus far in third year at different sites.

I hope this helps!

Does NYMC do strictly MMIs or do they do traditional interviews as well?

I interview here in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if there is an opportunity to update admissions on new activities at the interview or if they'll accept update letters?

I interview here in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if there is an opportunity to update admissions on new activities at the interview or if they'll accept update letters?
They accept updates. I’d recommend sending them a day or two after your interview.

Does anyone know the policy on sending updates? Is it only post interview or email form etc?

Does anyone know the policy on sending updates? Is it only post interview or email form etc?
NYMC admissions added an update I sent via email after I had already received my II. You just have to attach the update as a PDF in your email!

on hold. does anyone know if there is a ranking list or on hold with priority?

For those who have been invited for an interview...Anyone kind of offended by the number of times they have sent an email essentially asking you to cancel it? Just doesn’t make it seem like they’re actually excited to actually meet me, and I’m just another number to them. *Sigh* just a fleeting thought in this long stifling process.

Reactions: 4 users
For those who have been invited for an interview...Anyone kind of offended by the number of times they have sent an email essentially asking you to cancel it? Just doesn’t make it seem like they’re actually excited to actually meet me, and I’m just another number to them. *Sigh* just a fleeting thought in this long stifling process.
I didn’t interpret their message in this way. I bet they send the reminder emails because in past years they’ve experienced lower than expected turnout on the interview days, probably because a chunk of applicants were already accepted elsewhere and decided not to show up.

Reactions: 3 users
I've been complete since late July and have yet to hear anything. My portal doesn't state anything about being on hold, so I'm wondering if they just haven't read my app yet. Anyone in a similar boat?

Reactions: 8 users